HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Winter In Germany, WinryXEd-You're not her. You never were.
Yukina_Raven
post Feb 17 2005, 05:58 PM
Post #1

Alchemists

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,976

Inspired by Chiyo's story 'Have We Met?'. Hope she doesn't mind me using the same idea. ^^; Yeah, so... POST-SERIES! SPOILERS!!!!!!! This story won't make sense if you haven't seen the end anyway. But it will ruin the anime for you. (Possible movie spoilers...?) So don't read if you don't wanna be spoiled. As usually: Forgive typos/gramming/spelling errors. Also, sorry for any historical mistakes. And always enjoy. happy.gif

________________________________________________________________________________

"here comes the rain again
falling from the stars
drenched in my pain again
becoming who we are
as my memory rests
but never forgets
what I lost
wake me up when september ends"

- "Wake Me Up When September Ends" By: Green Day

Winter in Germany
a foolish dream of a foolish boy

Munich, Germany - 1923

A pair of liquid gold eyes stared at the various parts and wires scattered out across the table. To someone passing by, it would seem he had no idea what he was doing. However Edward Elric knew exactly what he was doing. He just wasn’t doing it at the moment. His mind was wandering, as it had been lately. Wandering to the times of another life that seemed, after two years, like a dream. He had begun to question if that life, that world of alchemy, had ever been real. Shoving such horrible thoughts aside, Ed grabbed the wrench in a sudden movement and continued his work on the parts, screwing them together with nuts and bolts and making sure the wires were connected correctly.

His workplace was a huge hanger, usually used for airplanes but now reserved for his study of rocketry. The table he sat at was a blade of grass compared to the place. Already a rocket itself was in the works, partly constructed and sitting in the center of the hanger, suspended above the ground by various steel support beams. It still had a long way to go. Even if it was finished, there was no telling if it would work. In the end it could be destroyed in the launch. Then he would be back at the table, starting all over again. But he wasn’t alone.

Ed paused in his work and glanced over his shoulder, peering through stands of straw colored hair to watch his partner. He stood in front of another table on the other side of the hanger. He was very focused on the own part he was working on, brown eyes-- Ed mental kicked himself and quickly turned back to his work, staring at the pieces once more.

No, He scolded himself. Alphonso Haidelihi has blue eyes. My Al... my brother... has brown.

He told himself this everyday. He had to in order to keep his sanity. Yet regardless of what his mind told him, his eyes would usually not listen and he would find himself seeing his research partner as his brother. The two were, after all, one in the same. All Al had to do was dye his blonde hair a light brown and change his eyes from ice blue to chocolate brown and then Ed would have the image of what his brother might look like at age seventeen.

But Alphonso Haidelihi was not his brother. Despite his mind’s determination to keep it this way, Ed couldn’t help but treat this Al like a brother. He did it without realizing it and it usually required a weird stare from his partner to snap him back to reality. Or... semi-reality. And this lead to the reason why Ed was considered one of those “dreamers”. Most people avoided him, feeling he was one who had lost touch with reality. The truth was that he had never really been in this reality at all. His mind was always back home with his brother, with Sensei, with the military, with... Winry.

Wonderful, Ed. Now you’ll never get back to work, Ed growled at himself, dropping the wrench and leaning his elbows on the table. He dropped his head into his hands, blonde bangs falling down around his face.

Thoughts of Winry were usually a signal to his brain that his work day was over. After her name slipped into his thoughts, he couldn’t concentrate on anything else for the rest of the day. Well, night in this case.

“Hey, Ed!”

Al’s voice brought him back and he lifted his head, staring at the wall in front of him.

“Are you almost finished with that?” Al called, watching him carefully. He was acting weird again.

Ed glanced down at the various pieces littering the long table’s surface. He had only connected two fully assembled parts out of six.

He cringed. “Er...”

Despite the distance, he could hear Al sigh heavily. “Ed, we’re kinda on a deadline here.”

“I know, I know. Sorry, I got... distracted.”

“Again? By what? And don’t give me your usual answer, either.”

Ed fell back against the back of his chair and dropped his head back to stare at the upside-down image of Al.

He grinned sheepishly. “Thoughts.”

Al rolled his eyes. Of course, his usual answer. “Fine, call it a night and go home.”

He turned back to his work, wiping his forehead with the back of his arm before taking the wrench to the complicated machine once more. Ed sighed and lifted his head. Al was understandably mad at him. He hadn’t gotten any real work done for awhile. Ed stood, pushing his chair back noisily. He snatched his coat from where it had fallen on the floor and glanced apologetically at Al’s back.

“Sorry, Al...”

No reply. Ed silently slipped on his heavy winter coat and tucked his hands in his pockets, turning his eyes to the floor and heading toward the exit.

Al paused in his work. “Das Tier Tavern.”

Ed stopped and turned his head, blinking. “Huh?”

Al glanced up at him, smiling. “Go to Das Tier Tavern. It’s a block or two from the house. There’s live music there tonight. It might help you forget about whatever’s on your mind.”

Ed stared before a small, almost broken, smile appeared on his face. “Thanks. I just might. G’night.”

“Goodnight.”

With that Ed turned and headed out. Al watched after him a moment before shaking his head, going back to work. He was an odd man, that Edward Elric. He often wondered why he had agreed to work with him. Ignoring the obvious reason (Ed had become a genius at rocketry), Al decided it was because he felt obligated to help the lost soul. He felt an odd connection to Ed that he couldn’t explain and certainly didn’t understand.

Don’t get close to someone like him, Al reminded himself as he worked. You might loose touch with reality, too.

The air was bitterly cold, as fitting for winter. Snow was falling gently from the night sky, settling upon the already fallen snow. Edward made his way down the sidewalk, crunching through the thin layer of white powder beginning to coat the sidewalk. The streets were empty, the houses all dark. A glance at his pocket watch told him it was almost eleven. No wonder the city was silent. Ed debated on going to this tavern Al had mentioned. He felt like he needed to get lost in a good book, not go to some bar that was, inevitably, crawling with drunks and crooks. Only those groups would be at a tavern this late. But the idea of listening to the music of this world, another one of his favorite past times, convinced him.

It was nothing special. Just a small building on the corner with a sign hanging above the door, displaying the tavern’s name and swaying in an invisable wind. He entered, a blast of blissfully warm air hitting his numb face as he did. A small bell jingled as the door opened and then fell shut behind the young man. The bar room was warm and small, but cozy. The bartender cleaned the bar top, moving the white rag in quick circles across the smooth and polished wood. A few people sat at the stools, each with another stool separating them from each other. Several other people sat at the small tables scattered across the room, talking in low voices. A stag was set up against the right wall of the bar, complete with a grand piano and a drum set. It was empty, apparently awaiting the next performer.

Ed sighed and flopped down in the chair of an empty table beside the window. He stared outside, watching the snow fall. His mind wandered again, back to that certain name... Winry. He had never gotten the chance to say goodbye to her properly, he realized. He never got to tell her how he felt, how grateful he was to always have her care for him. He and Al were the only ones who ever had. He had been determined in the beginning. He had been so determined to see them again. He swore to himself he would see them. He would discover a way back to the Gate and back to the other side. There his brother would be waiting for him. And Pinako, too. Hell, he was even looking forward to seeing Mustang’s stupid face again. But most of all, he wanted to see Winry. He wanted her to be there waiting when he finally arrived home. He would sweep her off her feet the moment he saw her... hug her so tightly and never let go again.

That had been his dream when he was fifteen. Now, two years later at age eighteen, Ed was losing hope. He had always been one to never give up; to keep trying no matter what. He had believed that, eventually, you would reach the thing you were working towards if you tried hard enough. ‘A foolish thought of a foolish boy’ he now called that philosophy.

Out of the corner of his eye he saw people on stage. Ed turned with half hearted curiosity. Two men took their places, one at the piano the other at the drums. After warming up for a few minutes (during which Ed merely watched the snow fall, thoughts still on his home) the two instruments fell silent. Then everyone fell deathly quiet. The silence caused Ed to glance back up toward the stage. A young woman had climbed onto it.

He might have fallen from his chair if his body had not frozen at the sight of her. Her hair, a darker blonde, was tied into a messy bun on the top of her head and her eyes were an emerald green, but it was her. There was no doubt, it was her. On the small stage, wearing a strapless and sleeveless green dress that hugged her perfect curves and chest and face fixed up with make-up, stood the mirror image (well, almost) of the girl he could not toss from his troubled mind.

Winry.

--------------------

(Sig copyrighted to Hikusa.)
Winter in Germany - POST SERIES! EdXWinry - Ed is trying to cope with his new life on the other side of the Gate. But now he must decide: Does he love Winry or her relfection? *COMPLETE*
My December - Sequel to 'Winter in Germany'; Ed returns after leaving again for 4 years after his return from the Gate. What awaits him is a very different place and a very broken Winry.
Brothers - A collection of short stories of Ed & Al's childhood. Implied EdXWinry.
Silkspun Dreams - Various EdxWinry one shots
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Feb 17 2005, 07:34 PM
Post #2

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

Doesn't mind...is flattered more like. Great story, I'm glad you wrote more.

Oh, and you may want to look at this. I drew it a while ago.

1920 Winry

It's creepy. One of my original Ed/Win fics involves Ed seeing her at a show in his world. Honest, it's almost just like this.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hidden_death
post Feb 18 2005, 04:45 AM
Post #3

Apprentice

Member No.: 6,634

i envy people with good writing skills ><

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Yukina_Raven
post Feb 19 2005, 11:50 AM
Post #4

Alchemists

QUOTE(Chiyo @ Feb 17 2005, 07:34 PM)
Doesn't mind...is flattered more like. Great story, I'm glad you wrote more.

Oh, and you may want to look at this. I drew it a while ago.

1920 Winry

It's creepy. One of my original Ed/Win fics involves Ed seeing her at a show in his world. Honest, it's almost just like this.
[snapback]116414[/snapback]

o.o That is creepy! And nice picture! I wish I had talent. ^^; In all honesty, I'm not sure where I got the idea of Winry being a performer of some kind. I think it was from watching too much Cowboy Bebop and listening to its music. XD

QUOTE(hidden_death @ Feb 18 2005, 04:45 AM)
i envy people with good writing skills ><
[snapback]116667[/snapback]

Ha! I have no writing skills compared to writers like Chiyo and Tobu Ishi.. but thanks, I'm glad you think I have skill! happy.gif

Thanks to the both of you for reading! Chapter 2 is in the works.

--------------------

Winter in Germany - POST SERIES! EdXWinry - Ed is trying to cope with his new life on the other side of the Gate. But now he must decide: Does he love Winry or her relfection? *COMPLETE*
My December - Sequel to 'Winter in Germany'; Ed returns after leaving again for 4 years after his return from the Gate. What awaits him is a very different place and a very broken Winry.
Brothers - A collection of short stories of Ed & Al's childhood. Implied EdXWinry.

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Feb 19 2005, 01:22 PM
Post #5

Moderator Emeritus

Don't be silly, each person has their own style.

I can't wait to read the next part.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hex-Sama
post Feb 20 2005, 03:26 PM
Post #6

Alchemists

Member No.: 2,084

@Yukina_Raven: Nice fanfiction wink.gif . I can't wait to here the rest biggrin.gif .

It would be interesting if in the movie, the "other" Winry has a dark personality rather then the light one. To me, Winry seems like an innocent character. What if the other Winry was a complete opposite? Just a thought laugh.gif .

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Feb 20 2005, 04:09 PM
Post #7

Moderator Emeritus

QUOTE(Hex-Sama @ Feb 20 2005, 10:26 PM)
@Yukina_Raven: Nice fanfiction wink.gif . I can't wait to here the rest biggrin.gif .

It would be interesting if in the movie, the "other" Winry has a dark personality rather then the light one. To me, Winry seems like an innocent character. What if the other Winry was a complete opposite? Just a thought laugh.gif .
[snapback]118275[/snapback]

Good idea (runs off with it).

Only joking...but it would be interesting to write.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Yukina_Raven
post Feb 20 2005, 04:17 PM
Post #8

Alchemists

Wow! I like that idea, too! That's sorta what I thought of for this story, but not quite. I do plan to make this world's Winry different from Ed's world's Winry, though. biggrin.gif Thanks for reading, Hex-sama!

Chapter 2 is still in the works... going slow because I have so much school work. My apologies for the slowness. X.x

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Feb 20 2005, 04:57 PM
Post #9

Moderator Emeritus

I can wait little sis, because I know it will be worth it. Always put your school work first *sounding more like a mother now* tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hex-Sama
post Feb 20 2005, 10:44 PM
Post #10

Alchemists

QUOTE(Yukina_Raven @ Feb 20 2005, 04:17 PM)
Wow! I like that idea, too! That's sorta what I thought of for this story, but not quite. I do plan to make this world's Winry different from Ed's world's Winry, though. biggrin.gif  Thanks for reading, Hex-sama!

Chapter 2 is still in the works... going slow because I have so much school work. My apologies for the slowness. X.x
[snapback]118402[/snapback]

No problem biggrin.gif . I think we've all had homework, so we understand if your taking awhile. I'll be patient laugh.gif .

--------------------

+Quote Post
Yukina_Raven
post Feb 26 2005, 04:50 PM
Post #11

Alchemists

Sorry for the wait. Lots of work plus I got terribily sick. X_x Here's chapter 2! Enjoy and thanks to those who have read this thus far. smile.gif
——————————————————————————————————————————————————

"Isn't it beautiful, to walk together in each others hands
I do so want to go,
To your city, your house, into your arms.
That heart,
held within your body
In those confusing nights
I dream"
- “Isn’t It Beautiful?” By: Rikki

Winter in Germany
adieu

Ed was sure he had fallen asleep and was dreaming. That had to be it. No, there was no other explanation. But when he pinched himself, he found himself awake. Wide awake... and staring at the most beautiful girl he had ever seen. For the second time. She stood shyly on the stage, looking nervous and trying desperately not to show it. Yet it bled through from the way she swayed and wrung her hands. A man came on, placing a stand with a microphone on it in front of her. He gave an apologetic smile before hurrying off the stage. The woman closed her eyes, took a steady breath and wrapped gloved hands around the microphone.

The piano started first, giving a short intro before breaking into a melody. And the woman sang with this melody.

“Been a fool, been a clown
Lost my way from up and down
And I know, yes I know
And I see it in your eyes
That you really weren't surprised at me at all
Not at all
And I know by your smile it's you.”

Now the drums joined the piano in a jazzy melody, the symbols tapping softly in tempo.

“Been a fool, been a clown
Lost my way from up and down
And I know, yes I know
And I see it in your eyes
That you really weren't surprised at me at all
Not at all
And I know by your smile it's you.

Don't care for me, don't cry
Let's say goodbye, Adieu.
It's time to say goodbye, I know that in time
It will just fade away, it's time to say goodbye.

I stand alone, and watch you fade away like clouds
High up and in the sky
I'm strong and so cold
As I stand alone
Goodbye, So long, Adieu.

Oh how I love you so, lost in those memories
And now you've gone
I feel the pain, feeling like a fool, Adieu

My love for you burns deep
Inside me, so strong
Embers of times we had
And now here I stand lost in a memory
I see your face and smile.”

The words were sad to him and all too true. He thought about the lyrics as the piano broke into a solo, eyes never leaving the familiar woman’s face. Her eyes were closed; they had been this entire time. The solo ended and she sang out again.

“Oh how I love you so, lost in those memories
And now you've gone
I feel the pain, feeling like a fool, Adieu

My love for you burns deep
Inside me, so strong
Embers of times we had
And now here I stand lost in a memory
I see your face and smile.”

She held the last note as the piano finished the song. The bar burst into applause and she finally opened her eyes, smiling shyly and waving her hand in thanks. Her voice was truly beautiful. Ed knew she could go far with it as he watched her, a half smile on his face. He wondered if his Winry had been able to sing like that. Suddenly green eyes met gold and an odd look crossed her face. Instantly embarrassed, Ed quickly turned to look back out the window at the snow.

The clapping slowly died before the piano player went on to play his own soft, jazzy piece. A man, who appeared to be the owner of the bar, hurried over as the singer stepped down, eyes on the golden eyed boy near the window.

“You were lovely, Miss Diamond,” The man said, blocking her path and smiling warmly. “You always bring such a large crowd.”

Winry blinked and smiled kindly. “Thank you, I do my best. Uh... excuse me.” She hurried past the man, high heels and tight dress hindering her movements just a bit.

She approached the table Ed sat at a bit shyly. “Excuse me? Aren’t you... Edward Elric?”

Ed nearly fell off the chair. He turned and blinked up at her, breathe catching in his throat as he looked into that hauntingly familiar face. So similar and yet so very different.

“Er... yes, that’s me.”

She smiled and held out a gloved hand to him. “My name is Winry Diamond. I’ve read about your work in the paper. It’s very impressive.”

Ed had to keep himself from laughing at the new last name as he shook her hand. “Not really, but thanks. Seems you’re the one with the talent here.”

Winry blushed lightly and dropped her hand to her side, shaking her head with a small chuckle. “No. Singing isn’t an extraordinary talent these days. Your skill for rocketry is guaranteed to put Germany in the history books. At least, that’s what Al tells me.”

Ed looked surprised. “You know Al?” Well, he supposed that made sense. It would explain how Al knew about this place and that tonight she would be here. He doubted Al had set him up to meet her, though.

Winry nodded. “Oh, yes! We’re very good friends.”

“Funny. He’s never mentioned you.”

Winry chuckled. “I figured.”

Ed suddenly stood, taking his coat from the back of his chair. “You’re voice is lovely, Miss Diamond. I’m afraid I need to get going now. It’s late.”

“I’m going the same way. Mind if I walk with you?” Winry asked, smiling.

Ed was about to ask how she knew that when he remembered she was Al’s friend. So, of course, she knew where the small place he and Al shared was.

He shrugged at her request as he adjusted his coat. “Sure.”

After Winry slipped on her own coat, the two left Das Tier Tavern and headed down the sidewalk in the falling snow. Ed stuffed his hands in his pockets and glanced up at the sky, finding a small glimmer of moonlight through the clouds of snow.

“Al told me you’ve both made some huge progress,” Winry suddenly spoke up, eyes watching his face closely.

“Not recently, but yeah, we have,” Ed admitted.

“It must be nice to be able to work on such a machine.”

Ed turned his head to her, looking bemused. “A woman into mechanic?”

Winry gave him a sour look. “You’re going to give me that too? The whole lecture on how mechanics is a “man’s job”... I get enough of it from my father, I don’t need it from you.”

“Whoa, whoa!” Ed yelped, holding up his hands at how cold her voice had turned. “I didn’t say anything, did I? There’s nothing wrong with that.”

Winry blinked, face instantly softening. “Huh? You mean you don’t think its... weird?”

Ed grinned, dropping his hands back to his pockets. “Hardly. One of the best mechanic I ever met was a girl.”

“Really?”

Ed nodded, smiling sadly. “Yup.” The thought of this certain mechanic made his heart ache.

Winry took notice in his sadden face and frowned slightly. “Was she... someone close to you?”

Ed kept his eyes to the sky, sad smile still on his face. “Yeah. We sorta grew up together.”

“I see. What happened to her?”

“She... faded off somewhere.”

The tone of his voice stabbed at her heart and she quickly looked away, unable to stand how terribly sad his eyes had become. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean...”

“It’s fine. It’s just hard to remember something you lost that you loved so much.”

The two of them walked in silence after this, Winry with her head lowered and Ed with his eyes still turned Heavenward. Now feeling obligated to change the subject, Winry gathered her voice and glanced back at him. However she didn’t speak right away. She found herself staring at his face. He was handsome, she had to admit. Long blonde bangs framing his perfectly shaped face with the rest of his hair tied in a ponytail, swaying with every step. But his eyes captured her the most. Eyes that were so very distant and filled with an indescribable loneliness. She couldn’t explain why seeing his eyes so sad made her want to hold him tightly until whatever it was that made his eyes so eternally sad disappear.

“Al speaks highly of you.” It took Winry several minutes to realize that had been her voice.

Ed blinked and turned to face her. “Oh? How so?”

She looked away quickly, clasping her hands behind her back and turning her eyes upward, a smile on her red painted lips. “He says you’re a practical genius when it comes to everything rocketry. He looks up to you.”

Ed blushed at the comment and rubbed the back of his head sheepishly. “Aw, shucks. He’s the one with the talent.”

“No, he’s the one with patron. You’re the one really moving this project along.”

“Not recently, I’m afraid.”

Ed stopped, having reached the street his house sat on. Lights were one, which meant Al had made it home. He turns to Winry.

“Where do you live, anyway?”

“There,” Winry replied, pointing a finger to a street adjacent with the one they stood on. “Down there a ways.”

“Wow, you live close, huh?” Ed chuckled, finding this extremely ironic. Why hadn’t he noticed her before? “Well, goodnight then.”

He turned, hands in his pockets and headed for the door.

“Ed?”

He stopped and glanced over his shoulder, giving her a quizzical look. Winry glanced away shyly, smiling a bit.

“Thank you. I hate walking home at night.” She glanced back up at him, only to find him staring at her oddly.

There was a sudden pause in which they both merely stared at each other. Winry confused and bit nervous at the intensity of his gaze. Ed, meanwhile, was not seeing her. He was seeing someone else. A girl wearing a black top and baggy pants, hands on her hips and scolding him for mistreatment of his automail.

“Ed?” She whispered a bit nervously.

Ed blinked and his face turned to a look of horror. He shook his head and shot Winry a sheepishly smile.

“Ah, s-sorry...” He then quickly turned, hurrying into the house without a second glance.

Winry watched him go, hands folded over her heart. What was that feeling?

“Adieu, Mr. Elric...”

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Feb 26 2005, 05:10 PM
Post #12

Moderator Emeritus

Another wonderful chapter. Full of awkward little moments between the pair. It shall be interesting to see where all this leads.

I loved the fact he mentioned loving his Winry back at home...made me all warm inside. Can't wait to see more. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hex-Sama
post Feb 26 2005, 10:22 PM
Post #13

Alchemists

@Yukina_Raven: Another wonderful chapter biggrin.gif , can't wait to hear more smile.gif . This "other" Winry has green eyes, while the "original" has blue, right unsure.gif ?

By the way, nice signature picture biggrin.gif . Where did you find that?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Yukina_Raven
post Feb 26 2005, 11:10 PM
Post #14

Alchemists

Chiyo: YAY! Thanks so much for reading! Glad you like it! happy.gifv And yes, I just had to add that. Inner fangirl, ya know. biggrin.gif

Hex-Sama: Yup, that's correct. happy.gif The Al of this world had changes, so I figured the Winry would too. And thanks for the comment on my sig! I found it on a Japanese fanart site... don't remember the link, sorry. sad.gif

Thanks both of you for reading! You're the only ones who do and I appercaite it. ^^;

--------------------

+Quote Post
Yukina_Raven
post Mar 1 2005, 08:20 AM
Post #15

Alchemists

Woooot! My muse lives! XD Enjoy chapter three! Thanks so much for reading Chiyo & Hex-sama! happy.gif Sorry for all these uneventful things taking place. They're will be action next chapter, promise. ^^;

________________________________________________________________________________

"If I meet my love, and we part,
We'll meet again, like we did before.
The sweet darkness I find
Fumbling around deep in my memories,
I can taste the sweetness of the past.
Although you're not anywhere
I'll be alright,
If I close my eyes to that,
Love won't change,
I believe"
- “Four Seasons” By: Namie Amuro

Winter in Germany
black & white

Edward stirred from underneath the white sheets of his bed. One would think he was about to rise. Instead he muttered against his pillow and rolled over, attempting to burrow further into the blissfully warm bed and return to the dreams of his old life. Footsteps suddenly clamored up the stairs noisily, making Ed groan. A loud knock rattled his door.

“Edward, get up already!” A deep man’s voice shouted.

Ed groaned again and pressed his face deeper into the pillow. “Too early...”

The voice knocked harder. “For Christ’s sake, Edward, it’s almost noon! Get up!”

When there was no movement, the door swung open. A finely dressed man stood in the doorway, thin strands of blonde hair falling into his golden eyes. His hair was tied in a ponytail and his aged face held an exasperated look. Hohenheim was what he was called here. Whether it was his true name or not was anyone’s guess, even to his son Ed.

Hohenheim walked across the room, stopping at Ed’s bedside. “Honestly...”

He grabbed the covers and yanked them forcibly off the sleeping boy. This earned him a foul swear and a pillow to the face. Hohenheim sighed as the pillow fell soundlessly to the floor.

“It’s time I took a look at your arm and leg. It’s been over two months since they were last checked.”

Ed grumbled and reluctantly sat up, blankets now bunched at the end of the bed. He gave his father a glare from behind tangled blonde bangs. The rest of his hair was a tangled mess. Sunlight coming through the skylight above his bed reflected off his metal arm. It appeared to be automail.

“Is this necessary?” Ed grumbled.

“You can’t sleep all day. Now get up. The faster we get this done the faster you can get to the hanger. Al’s already there.”

With that said, Hohenheim turned away and left the room, shutting the door behind him. Muttering under his breath, Ed stood and stretched, fine toned muscles becoming more visible than usual at the movement. Even after two years in this sort of lifestyle where you didn’t have to fight for your life every twenty minutes Ed had kept the fighter’s build. After all, when he returned, he would probably need it. He dropped his arms and frowned a bit at the thought. No, the real reason came from habit. It was habit now to train, to get stronger everyday. Well, every other day at this point. He turned and wandered downstairs. It was unfortunately necessary for him to be clothed in only his boxers when having his automail checked up on. It made him feel uncomfortable to have his fake limbs so exposed. In the past it hadn’t mattered, but here was different. Here technology like automail did not exist. This meant it had to be constantly hidden by long sleeves and pants. This was probably why he had taken a liking to winter now. He could wear such clothing without getting weird looks, which is exactly what he got during the summer and spring months.

He trudged down the stairs, taking a sharp turn to head down more stairs to the basement. It was Hohenheim’s study area now. Ed had been reluctant to let his father live with him and Al. It had been very awkward. Now he had gotten use to it. Sort of. Ed sat down on a chair, dropping his arm on the worktable next to it.

“Make this quick, old man.”

Hohenheim sat down on the chair placed on the other side of the worktable, giving Ed a flat look.

“You’re the one who slept in. I’m not going to rush my job so you can get to yours just because you decided to sleep late.”

“I was out late,” Ed huffed, turning away as Hohenheim began to unscrew a certain part in the arm.

“You didn’t use the oil I gave you, did you?” Hohenheim sighed, apparently noticing something about the arm that gave it away.

Ed shrugged one shoulder. “I don’t have time to take care of it.”

Hohenheim sighed again. “Ed, why can’t you appreciate this? You’re lucky to even have automail in this world. I’m surprised I was able to build it in the first place. Guess this is the plus side for being Pinako’s drinking buddy... listening to her ramble about automail...watching her whip up things. Anyway, I know it isn’t as good as Winry’s, but you still need to take care of it. I doubt you want wooden limbs again.”

Ed cringed as Hohenheim touched a certain wire in his arm and glanced away. The name...

“Is it possible for everyone back in our world to have another version of themselves here?”

“Hm? Yes, I suppose so,” Hohenheim said, obviously distracted by his work. “Unless they’ve already died.”

Ed frowned at that thought and kept his eyes to the floor. “I see.”

Just like his other self had died. Quickly he shook that memory away. He tried not to think about that event imparticular. There was silence after that as Hohenheim finished maintenance on his arm and moved to his leg. Finally he had completed the tuning and stood, wiping his forehead with his sleeve.

“All set.”

Ed stood, flexing the fingers of his metal arm a moment before heading up the stairs.

“Ed?”

He stopped and glanced over his shoulder. Hohenheim’s face looked deadly serious.

“Don’t go looking for them, Ed. You might not like what they’ve become in this world. Everything isn’t simply black and white, you know.”

Ed didn’t let an ounce of emotion creep onto his face. He simply turned away and continued up the stairs, exited the basement area. A few moments later he had dressed and left the house, shoving his hands in the pockets of his heavy coat.

To say Ed had mellowed was both true and false. He certainly wasn’t the loudmouthed fifteen year old he use to be, but he was still Ed. He still had his short temper, although it wasn’t set off as easily. He had even grown a bit, too. Although he wasn’t very close to average height for eighteen, he was taller than he had been. Even to this day, he was sensitive about the subject. And while he wouldn’t swear or bash your skull in for a comment about it, he’d twitch in annoyance and give you a rather nasty glare, dislike about the remark clear on his face. However Al had discovered that further teasing about Ed’s height did indeed earn you a skull bashing.

Now Ed strolled down the snow covered sidewalk, recently shoveled. He was too lost in thought to notice her until she grabbed him by the collar of his shirt.

“Just the man I wanted to see.”

Ed choked at the grab and turned, finding himself face to face with Winry. She smiled, green eyes sparkling.

“Err... dare I ask?” Ed replied.

She laughed. “You’re going to the hanger, right?”

“Yup.”

“Well...” She clamped her hands together underneath her chin, giving him the best puppy dog eyes she could muster. “Can I come with you? Pleeeeeassssseeee?”

Ed stared dumbly at her, feeling a blush creep onto his face. He abruptly looked away, trying to put on a stern face. Of course, it being aimed at the sky did nothing.

“That’s suspicious, you asking me. Why haven’t you asked Al? He’s your friend, right?”

Winry blinked and grinned sheepishly, rubbing the back of her head. “Well, uhh... He doesn’t want me hanging around there. Thinks I’ll get hurt.”

“Okay, then no.”

“H-Hey! Wait!” She hurried to fall into steps beside Ed as he began to walk away. “C’mon, please?”

“If Al said no, then you can’t. I can’t go against his decisions.”

“Sure you can!” Winry said cheerfully.

Ed sweatdropped. “Of course I can, but--”

“Then that’s a yes!”

“Huh? Wait, no!” Ed stopped walking a gave her an annoyed look. “I can’t because I agree with him.”

Winry’s face fell and she glanced away. She looked ready to either yell at him or cry. He couldn’t tell.

“I thought you were different... that being a woman didn’t matter,” She said softly.

Ed blinked stupidly, then realized what he said. He held up his hands and waved them frantically.

“No, that’s not what I meant!” He said quickly, then sighed, running a hand through his bangs, hair tied in its usual ponytail. “It’s very possible to get hurt around such machinery. Things can explode without warning. We’re testing prototypes we build ourselves, remember? Anything could happen.”

Winry glanced up at him, clasping her hands behind her back and smiling slightly at him. “Oh, c’mon. I’m not stupid, I know that. But you and Al are there even though that’s true. So I can be there too.”

Ed stared at her for a long moment. “...Fine.” Jesus Christ she was Winry. He could never say no to her.

She let out a happy squeal and hugged Ed. “Thank you, thank you!”

Ed caught her before she could knock him over. “Ack! D-Don’t mention it...”

Thus the two headed off together toward the hanger, Winry chatting excitedly about all the stuff she knew. And boy did she know a lot. Ed was thoroughly impressed. In this world, women didn’t have much respect. Apparently their only use was to marry at eighteen, have kids and raise them. How Winry had gained this knowledge, he didn’t know. He figured she had picked it up from books. Or maybe Al had taught her a few things. He was sure Al wouldn’t be happy regardless.

And indeed, Al was surprised when he stepped out from the hanger to check for Ed. He blinked a few times as his partner approached, a rather lively Winry at his side. When they reached him, Winry fell silent and Ed spoke up.

“She jumped me and threatened me with a gun,” He chuckled.

“I did not!”

Al laughed. “Yeah, she does that.”

“Al!” Winry cried, giving both boys glares.

The two exchanged nervous looks before Al frowned at her.

“Winry, I told you it’s too dangerous to be here,” He sighed.

“He said I could come,” Winry protested, pouting and pointing to Ed.

“Kinda hard to say no at gun point.”

Winry proceeded to flick him in the side of the head. “Stop saying that!”

Ed rubbed his head and grinned. “Okay, okay. It was a knife.”

He then quickly ducked away from her and disappeared into the hanger, chuckling softly to himself as Winry shouted for him to get back here. Different eye color and slightly darker hair color, but it was still very much Winry. He had expected her to be different personality wise also. Then again, he had thought the same thing with Al and he was pretty much like his brother at home.

A few moments later Al entered with a very happy Winry following behind him. Al looked defeated. Ed chuckled at his face as he draped his coat over the chair, despite the hanger being as cold as the outside.

“Sorry,” Ed said honestly.

Al grinned and shook his head, watching as Winry bolted to the unfinished piece of machinery on Al’s work desk. “Don’t worry about it. She’s persuasive like that. Even without a gun.”

“This isn’t going to work,” Winry suddenly called from the desk.

Both boys glanced over at her, blinking. Winry turned to them, one hand on her hip and the other holding up four wires she had torn from the machine.

“You got the connections all wrong,” She sighed.

“Ack! Winry, you pulled those out!?” Al cried, hurrying over to her.

“Of course! They’re connected wrong!”

“You wouldn’t know that! This is a part for a rocket, not a car! There’s a difference!” Al exclaimed, snatching the wires away and attempting to find where they had been.

Winry made a face at him before noticing Ed was not here. She glanced over to see him seated at his own desk, silently working on his own part. She watched him with a small smile on her face. She wasn’t sure what drew her to him. Maybe it was the desire to take away that sad look in his eyes. Or maybe it was the feeling she had met him before. Whatever the reason, she couldn’t ignore it. Winry crossed the large space between them, heels clicking on the cement floor loudly.

She stopped beside his desk, arms bent behind her back. Her eyes flickered from his work to his face. There wasn’t an ounce of concentration there. His eyes looked distant, more so than usual, and he seemed to be working without much thought. She tore her eyes from his face to watch his gloved hands work. He tightened this screw, connected these wires, added more pieces. She leaned over suddenly, hovering a finger over a certain part. Ed blinked rapidly, snapped from his daze, and glanced up at her curiously. She offered him her best smile.

“What’s this part here?” She asked.

Ed blinked once more before glancing at the part she was pointing at. “That? Al designed it. He says it’ll give the thrusters enough power to lift off.”

“Wow, you two really are geniuses,” Winry chuckled, pulling her hand away. “Will you... teach me?”

Ed’s eyes snapped back to her face. “Huh?”

Winry frowned and turned her eyes to the floor, tilting her head slightly. “I want to learn more. The knowledge I do have comes from books in my father’s library. It’s not much help just reading stuff like that. I need hands on experience, you know? So... will you teach me?”

She glanced at him hopefully. Ed almost laughed. Luckily he kept it inside and a grin spread across his face instead. He never thought he’d see the day when Winry would ask him to teach her mechanics. Winry blinked at his face.

“What’s with that goofy look? You don’t think I can do it?” She demanded angrily.

“No, it’s not that. It’s just... ironic, that’s all.”

“Ironic?” Winry asked, baffled by his words. “How so?”

He turned back to his work, picking up the wrench and finishing tightening up a screw.

“Never mind,” He replied softly. “I’ll teach you.”

Winry’s eyes lit up. “Really?!”

“Sure. We’ll meet at the corner of the street every day at noon.”

“And we’ll come here so you can teach me?”

“Yup.”

Winry’s entire face seemed to glow as she folded her hands together, placing them against her chest.

“Thank you! Thank you so much, Mr. Elric!”

Ed made a face and glanced up at her, chuckling. “Ed is fine. No need to be so formal.”

Winry blushed and nodded, unable to stop smiling. “Thank you again Edward!”

“You’re the one who has to convince Al, though.”

Winry nodded and spun around, hurrying over to where Al worked with a happy bounce in her step. Ed watched her retreating back a moment before once again turning to his work with a small chuckle.

Ironic indeed.

--------------------

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2016 - 11:02 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css