Reply to this topicStart new topic
Pegasus, I just can't help myself...
shardypsykoelf
post Mar 5 2005, 11:00 PM
Post #16

Alchemists

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,366

w00t! Good stuff! Gorgeous writing and descriptions! Long chapters are a positive plus, too! Update quickly!

*grins wickedly* Is there going to be smut? biggrin.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Forum Family: Daughter to Ailuro, Big sis to Celes, tigohbiddies, Chiyo, Full Metal Engineer, Big sis in-law to eds_secret_agent, Kitty-Cat
~*~Lover of Xithion~*~
My Childhood Playmate Completed!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Elderberry
post Mar 6 2005, 10:01 AM
Post #17

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 726

Yay, Tokage-san! More detailed and interesting descriptions~! laugh.gif

*looks at Shardy-san* ...dry.gif... *brings out foil and waves it around threateningly*

--------------------
- Moderator Emeritus -
Currently designated as Marvelous Mechanic of the P!MP Mobile for the GP.
I've taken Foolmetal-kun under my wing as my GP Deshi-in training.

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Mar 6 2005, 10:16 AM
Post #18

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

'He smiled like a fox given the keys to the chicken coup.'

Genious, pure and simple. This is geting really good.

--------------------

+Quote Post
darkangelslayer
post Mar 6 2005, 12:14 PM
Post #19

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 3,011

its really good but hard to understand for me. this is like college level writing, and me being a puny high schooler makes it worse. but keep it up maybe ill learn sumthing.

--------------------
IPB Image
I'm aka Anshi as dubbed by Celes *that can be used by anyone and everyone*
Celes x Anshi supporter XDD

+Quote Post
hagane_no_tokage
post Mar 7 2005, 12:55 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 2,565

thanks for comments, everyone. XD i'm gonna see if i can't get a chapter or two knocked off of shinkume before i toss another pegasus up. this is the problem with workin on so many fics at once....one always gets left behind along the way... u_u

darkangelslayer i...guess i apologize if it's a little...heavy. er...i am 23, so i suppose my grammar and vocabulary level would be a little ahead of yours... happy.gif;; heh, maybe for the next chapter i'll make flash cards! XD

--------------------
IPB Image

I am the Cold Blooded Alchemist. Ph34r Me.
Read My Fics! :D

Auld Lang Syne...Shinkume...Tsuzureori...Tin Soldiers...Pegasus...The Space Between

+Quote Post
Tobu Ishi
post Mar 8 2005, 10:18 AM
Post #21

Alchemists

Member No.: 6,815

QUOTE(shardypsykoelf @ Mar 5 2005, 10:00 PM)
*grins wickedly* Is there going to be smut?  biggrin.gif
[snapback]127549[/snapback]

That depends on the wily eel. <3 Nice chapter, Kage-san! I'm seriously enjoying this story. I can't figure out what you mean by thinking linearly, though. You mean a literal pegasus? Like a chimera? Or what? (Now there's a mental image, teenage Roy and Riza soaring through the clouds on the back of a winged horse chimera. *imagines Riza calmly steering and hiding her delight while Roy clings to her waist and tries to hide his intense wish to get OFF*)

--------------------

The Restoring Earth Alchemist
Big Sister to Chiyo, Little Sister to Tokage, Edward to WrenchFreakWinry

An Appetite For Grief Dividing the Bones Elysium FULLMETAL FOLLY
Good Neighbors Jaybird Letdown Mater Familias Mea Culpa Play With Me
Rosarium Seven Years The Shadow of Him Some Assembly Required Wired Wooden

<3 The EdWin 100 Themes <3
She remembers the way her inexplicably riveted gaze slid unbidden
down the curves of his back, slowly, like honey. And she particularly remembers
the rush of prickly heat, the unfamiliar melting sensation that made her duck
her head to hide a blush that caught her entirely by surprise; as she realized
for the first time, in an entirely new way, that Ed was a
boy.

Click here to read more...
THEY'RE STILL UPDATING! PLEASE DON'T FORGET THEM. ;_;

+Quote Post
hagane_no_tokage
post May 9 2005, 08:34 PM
Post #22

OMFG no way, an update??? ohmy.gif yah, i dug this fic out and dusted it off... i had gotten so wrapped up in theming that my older stories have been getting neglected. so now that i reached a milestone point in the themes...i decided to rejuvenate this one for a bit. here, chew on a scene-changer while i finish typing the next chapter. <3

March 12, 1916
1957 hours
Riza Hawkeye’s Kitchen

Hawkeye wiped a slimy trail of egg-white off her fingertips and picked up a spoon to mix the contents of the bowl again. She still recalled that night quite vividly…and wondered from time to time if he’d had any idea just how absurd he had looked in her eyes. That was the first time the two of them had spoken on casual terms.

Ah, but she supposed that perhaps ‘casual’ wasn’t exactly the right word. Ducking RA’s and hiding in closets at 3am wasn’t exactly an everyday situation. She chuckled to herself. It was humorous to her to think back to those days. Back when she was still donning the attitude of a spoiled military child and Roy still carried the bitterness of his overbearing father’s harsh expectations and visions of grandeur on his broad shoulders; those days before he had brought her down to earth and she had taught him that it was more important to fight for one's own dreams than those of their elders…

The whole thing still struck her as absurdly ironic, the way their roles had come so full-circle. So much had happened back then; it was almost too much to think about. It was as if it had been someone else’s life and she had simply watched it from afar. All those old memories, crammed into the shoeboxes stacked in the corners of her subconscious…they were dusty now and discolored by time, like ancient photographs of her past… But, like old photographs, even as faded as they might get, they never failed to bring a smile to her features.

She frowned at the cake batter and twirled the spoon between her fingers, then resumed mixing.

She still had the box he had given her that night. She would never tell him, but curiosity had demanded that she open it immediately upon his departure. The gift had been austere enough: a slender silver chain and a simple pendant…of a tiny silver bullet.

A chuckle caught in her throat at the memory of the shock that must have surely registered on her face at the sight of the pendant. She had immediately snatched it up and examined it. It was an actual replica of a bullet! If she’d had a gun small enough for it, she could have fired the necklace at someone.

Her eyebrows had arched in alarmed confusion. Where the hell had he managed to get something like that anyway? She’d been confident it had been no easy task. Perhaps that was the main reason she had decided to give him a second chance and had gone back to the door to lend him her fleece throw. After all, anyone who went through that much effort to make an impression deserved a second chance to prove he wasn’t an asshole.

Riza smiled to herself and stared a moment at the battered spoon in her hand.

How amusing it was, she thought to herself, that Roy Mustang had been the one crack her shell; to see through her façade. How droll that, of all the people who could have stepped into her life that night at 3am…Fate had decided to throw Roy at her.

She chuckled and spun to find the cocoa powder.

In the long run, she was glad Fate had such a sarcastic sense of humor.

i added in a date/time stamp since it seemed some of you were getting a little confused as to what was flashback and what wasn't, so i hope that helps. <3

thoughts? heh, the next chapter will be amusing, methinks. it involves the pilfering of corn muffins, roy making an ass of himself, hughes kicking roy in the shins, and more roy making an ass of himself. did i mention there would be corn muffins?

mmm...corn muffins...

--------------------
IPB Image

Auld Lang Syne...Shinkume...Tsuzureori...Tin Soldiers...Pegasus...The Space Between

+Quote Post
Steel Alchemist
post May 9 2005, 08:44 PM
Post #23

Citizen

Member No.: 9,478

I feel the same as Chiyo on this topic.

--------------------
Steel Alchemist
Hell is other people
You're a sin against nature, and your body's in so much pain, Oh merciful God who shapes us all... Please return these scarred souls to your unending womb.

+Quote Post
Saturn Stars
post May 9 2005, 09:35 PM
Post #24

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 11,102

I think I am in love!

--------------------
<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>LOL!</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>~*~Lialiakicks' evil parter in crime~*~</span>
*Yukina_Raven's lil sis* *Chiyo's lil sis* My big sisters rock!
Taken Away EdxWinxRozexWin? Lost in Your Heaven EdxWin... er... WinxMunichAl? (It's up to your imagination lol) EdxWinry 100 Themes Uh yeah that's EdxWin Someone Who Cares For Me EdxWin... again... Manga Related? Stand Up and Walk Forward Umm yes... EdxWin His Gift *Cough* Edxwin *Cough* Manga related? First Kiss [Edxwin] Nah really saturn Stars? Let me tell you... if fluff could kill... *Manga, Chapter 48 related*
Above is my army of Edxwin fics... lol enjoy!

+Quote Post
hagane_no_tokage
post May 10 2005, 04:02 AM
Post #25

LOL, thanks saturn, i know you're more of an EdWin fan, so it means a lot to me that you're reading my Royai. <3 here's the next full-chapter. yay hughes!! <333

April 17, 1906
1232 hours
First-Floor Cafeteria, Jon E. Keisen Building, Quicksilver Academy Campus

Riza scowled down at her meal, her eyebrow twitching a little. It wasn’t the food’s fault…the little chunk of chicken breast and the patch of green salad alongside it didn’t look too unappetizing (though she had to admit, the Academy surely wasn’t known for its cuisine...). No, it was rather the fact that there had been a corn muffin on the plate as well until but a moment ago that drew such an expression upon her face, and as she lifted her eyes, the look only grew darker as she watched Roy lick his fingertips and smile sweetly at her. Her brown eyes flashed.

“That’s the third time you’ve stolen my corn muffin this week, Senpai…” she complained sourly, and Roy plucked a crumb from the side of his mouth.

“You’ve got to be more on top of things, Hawkeye,” he chided with a mischievous smirk, and she glared icily at him.

“What happened to your muffin?” she demanded, and then lifted her head at the sound of nonchalant whistling from across the table. She made a sound something amid a choke and a squawk. “Hughes-senpai~!”

She groaned and kneaded her forehead as the bespectacled man seated across from her grinned like a shot fox and wiped a few crumbs away from his own mouth.

“He’s got to be more on top of things,” the older man grumbled, adjusting his glasses, and Riza shook her head.

It was her second year at Quicksilver, and shortly after that historic meeting with Mustang outside her dorm room on Valentine’s Day last year, Riza had been granted the privilege of being introduced to Roy’s roommate, Maes Hughes. The 20-year-old was now a graduate from the cadet program at Quicksilver, and was lined up for Intel work on-campus for a while before being sent to any of the main headquarters sites. Thus he and Roy got to stay roommates until such time as Maes was hustled off to East City, or Central City, or Who-Knows-Where City. It was all pretty much the same as far as they were concerned…

Maes was tall and lean, with small square-rimmed glasses resting in front of vivid chartreuse eyes that glowed with an unearthly light of mischief. He had wild black hair, a wide, vivacious grin, and a raucous, contagious laugh that could be heard from three classrooms away. He was loud and boisterous; animated and endlessly cheerful. There was something about Maes that was positively infectious, and Riza had to admit she couldn’t help but be in lighter spirits when he was around.

“Both of you, you’re incorrigible,” she muttered with a roll of her cinnamon eyes. “Fine… Senpai, who stole your muffin?”

Logically, if Roy had been forced to steal Riza’s muffin because Maes had stolen his…then someone must have pilfered Maes’s muffin first to initiate the whole incident.

Maes held up two fingers in a V for victory.

“Lucky for me, I’m on top of things,” he said, a huge grin splitting his face. “Two muffins for me!”

Both Roy and Riza wore matching masks of disdain, and Maes’s face sobered as he ran one long hand back through his wiry hair.

“Erhem…so…anyway…” he stammered, picking at his salad, and Riza sighed.

No matter how she tried…she just couldn’t escape them. She had always been a bit of a loner, and she had liked it that way. All through her childhood, she had never had many close associates, and it had never bothered her much. Now here in the Academy, no matter how she tried to preserve that long-standing track record of solitude, Roy and Maes simply wouldn’t give it to her.

She had grown rather fond of Maes, to be honest. The older man was optimistic, genial, often impish, but always polite; he was surprisingly mature—especially when compared to his junior bunkmate. Maes was good company, but when he got together with Roy, they were positively ridiculous. They were just a tad too much to handle.

She rephrased.

Roy on his own was a tad too much to handle. Together, they were a walking migraine.

Riza made a face when Roy began gesticulating grandly about what a bore his Alchemy Professor was and how he could—literally—transmute circles around the old coot. She shook her head. The two of them were a lot alike in some respects: they were both passionate about what they loved, and excelled in their respective fields; they were both outgoing and easy to speak casually with… But there was an abrasiveness to Roy that Riza had yet to fully get past. He was far too forward, excessively tactile, absurdly vivacious, and had no qualms about speaking his mind. This irritated her to no end…like a grain of sand beneath her tongue or a pebble in her shoe. And no matter what she did, she just couldn’t get the pebble out of her damn shoe.

Even so…she had to admit…there was something oddly alluring about Roy that she couldn’t quite put her finger on. Even for as exasperating and irksome as he was, he literally dripped with charisma, and she found it infuriating that she had thought for even a moment that he was charming.

Because he wasn’t. He absolutely wasn’t. And she was never going to admit otherwise.

Ever.

After all, who knew what manner of absurd thoughts would flow through that idiot’s head if he knew that she thought—?

“Riza-chan? What’s the matter?”

She glanced up startled when she heard Maes call her name. Two sets of eyes were set dourly upon her.

“Hah?”

The green eyes were stern and paternal; the black sly and amused. Mahogany narrowed resentfully at black.

“I was just thinking,” she said vaguely, and Roy broke the stare-down to snicker, his fist near his mouth. He had gotten catching her distracted down to an art, and so delighted in reminding her. She glowered fiercely at him and took a bite of her chicken.

“So, Hughes-senpai,” she spoke up quickly after finishing her mouthful. He lifted his eyebrows. “Should we be calling you Shoui now?”

He had graduated, after all, and was thus technically a 2nd Lieutenant.

He fidgeted, looking uncomfortable a moment.

“Er…you really don’t have to go that far,” he said uneasily, exchanging an awkward glance with Roy. He didn’t want them to call him by title…he wouldn’t have them feeling awkward being friendly with him. He had found in the past that wedging rank and formality into casual friendships had a way of…compromising them. He plastered his signature grin on his face to hide his misgivings. “'Senpai' is fine, Riza-chan,” he insisted, and absently fiddled with his glasses. “Besides, it’s not like I’ll be able to exercise any real authority anytime soon. Especially what now with all that revolt going on in the East, I can’t imagine they’re going to want a plebe like me working HQ Intel during such a time.”

Roy looked uneasy.

“But you don’t think they’ll deploy you to the front, do you?” he asked with narrowed eyes, and Maes shrugged.

Riza furrowed her brow.

“Begging your pardon, Hughes-senpai, but…why wouldn’t they?” she asked, her eyes moving between the two of them. “You’re a graduate now and, as much as I’d hate to see you get sent off into the fray, what…would keep them from doing so?” She tilted her head. “You got top marks on all your exams and your close-range targeting scores were through the roof!”

Maes chuckled sheepishly and adjusted his glasses on his nose.

“Yes, but did you see my long-range marks?” he asked, and she shook her head. “I’m…terribly nearsighted,” he admitted, squinting at her over the tops of his glasses and sounding somewhat embarrassed. “I can’t hit a distant target to save my life, so even though I’ve got the marks to be a top field officer, I haven’t got the physical ability.” He laughed loudly. “Nobody wants a leader who can’t see the whites of the enemy’s eyes!”

Riza frowned. Somehow this forced laughter from Maes made her stomach churn, and she wanted to squirm. She was actually thankful when Roy clapped the elder man on the back and gave a devilish grin.

“Ah~, but Maes!” Roy gushed (in what Riza felt was an overly forced cheerful outburst). “Don’t sell yourself short! Remember the commandant has you all set up for Intel work here while we wait for things to calm down in the East.” Roy thrust one arm out grandly and nearly knocked Maes’s glasses off his face. “Just think of all the dirt you’ll have on all your peers here at Quicksilver. You could sell secrets to the freshmen! And just think of all the gossip you could get us about the teachers!”

Riza snorted.

“I can get you that now, Senpai…” she reminded him smugly, and he made a face at her.

“Nobody asked for your input, Goldy,” he snarked, and she suddenly developed a devout interest in the tomato in her salad before flicking a crouton at the boys across the table.

Maes popped said crouton into his mouth and gave Roy a somber look.

“I dunno…I never really saw myself out there in the trenches anyway,” he said sincerely. “True, I joined the military because I wanted to help protect this country and the people in it… I wanted to be able to say that I had done my part to preserve Amestris. But I’m no warrior. I mean, look at me…I’d be the goofiest, gangliest four-eyed commando in history.” He grinned, and this time it was an honest one. “I think I’m better suited for pushing papers…I’ll leave the heroics to you two:”—he lifted an eyebrow in thought, then pointed to Roy and Riza respectively in turn—“Sparky and Trigger.”

They bristled in tandem.

“Sparky?”

“Trigger…?”

Riza never knew her eyebrow could twitch so spectacularly as it did right then.

Maes, meanwhile, had erupted in riotous laughter, and Roy had deflated somewhat, his forehead now resting on his arm on the table.

Riza sighed gustily and shook her head. Maes was the most ridiculous person she had ever met in her life…but he sure did keep things interesting. His laughter abated slowly, and silence eventuated between the three of them again. Riza poked at her salad, and Maes plucked at the tines of his fork. Roy lifted his head and spun his spoon between his fingers.

Then…

“Aa~!!”

There was a cry of alarm in strident unison, and two lunch trays were suddenly lifted high in the air and out of harm’s way as Maes’s fork dived for Roy’s chicken and Roy’s fork went for Riza’s. The three of them froze, and then Maes laughed fiendishly and plucked the cherry tomato from Riza’s salad, popping it into his mouth with a sly smile.

“You both need to be more on top of things,” he said, and Roy curled his lip at him.

“You need to stop eating other people’s food!” he hissed, and Maes looked at him indignantly.

“Maybe if people didn’t leave themselves so open for it, I wouldn’t!” he retorted.

“Ohh~ so now it’s my fault?”

“I forgive you.”

Roy’s face screwed up comically.

“What?”

Maes looked at him sidelong, but said nothing.

Roy seethed.

Riza ignored them.

They bickered like brothers sometimes, it was actually rather amusing.

She went back to her salad.

Roy’s fork stabbed the table when Maes pulled his tray away just in time to save his chicken.

“O~to!” the older man chided. “You’ll have to do better than that.”

“Well you still owe me a corn muffin!”

“Chalk it up to experience.”

“You can’t eat experience and I’m still hungry!”

Maes quirked an eyebrow.

“So eat your salad.”

“I hate rabbit food!”

“So this gives you the right to steal my protein?”

“But you stole my corn muffin!”

Maes took a pointed bite of his own salad.

“I’m pulling rank,” he said through a mouthful of lettuce, and Roy pouted.

“But you’ve got your beloved Glacier to make you bentou boxes whenever you want,” he groused, and Maes smiled slyly, nudging his junior in the ribs.

“Perhaps you’d have someone to make your lunch if you were a little less crass in your courtship rituals,” he purred deviously under his breath, and Roy stiffened.

“I don’t need Hawkeye to make me lunch, dammit!” he howled defensively, and then froze in horror.

As if on cue, the entire cafeteria had gone quiet just in time for everyone to hear Roy’s little explosion, and Riza felt her face turn three shades of scarlet before she regained her composure and exhaled audibly. She rose and picked up her tray, sliding her uneaten half of chicken breast onto Roy’s plate.

“Here, Senpai, if you’re still hungry, you can eat my chicken,” she said. “I’ve lost my appetite.” Then she upended the tray into the trashcan beside the table, plunked it neatly atop the stack of other trays, and turned back to retrieve the bag with her textbooks in it. “Good day, gentlemen,” she said mildly, but curtly, “but I have History notes to pore over. If you’ll excuse me…”

And without waiting for an answer, she headed out of the cafeteria.

Roy and Maes watched her a moment, and then Roy turned his attention to his newly acquired second helping of chicken.

He let out an undignified yelp of pain when Maes landed a sharp kick to his shin.

“Ow~!! Maes, what the hell was that for??” he squawked, reaching down to rub at the forming bruise.

“You’re not going after her?” the older man asked, his eyes thin and his mouth a down-turned scowl.

Roy glowered.

“Well, not now that I can’t walk, no…”

Maes looked at him reproachfully. Roy sighed.

“No,” he repeated simply, and picked up his fork. “I think I’ve had my fill of foot in my mouth today.” He stabbed the chicken. “I’ve pissed her off enough for now; let’s wait till tomorrow to pour salt on the wounds, okay? I’m not following her now.”

Maes rolled his eyes.

“Roy, that woman is always pissed off,” he said logically. “Why don’t you go soften her up a bit?”

Roy scoffed and stabbed the chicken again.

“I’m no good at that.”

Now it was Maes’s turn to snort.

“Roy, if you’re not good at buttering up a girl then there’s no hope for the rest of us.”

Roy’s dark eyes flashed.

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

Maes nudged his junior in the ribs.

“Go, Roy,” he said. “Go after her. Go break through that wall around Riza-chan’s smile.”

Roy sighed.

“Maes, I honestly don’t even think I have that ability.”

“I do,” came Maes’s immediate reply, and Roy started. He frowned at the look of untimely wisdom in his roommate’s eyes, and sighed defeatedly. A long, thin smile of erudition slid across Maes’s lips. “Go on, Roy,” he urged, and reached into the pocket of his jacket. “And take this with you.”

Roy blinked at the offering Maes had dropped into his palm.

“What is…? I thought you said…?”

Maes just grinned and started clearing the table.

“Just take it and go. I’ll meet you back at the room and I expect a good report.”

i just made up that building they're eating lunch in(since i made up the academy in the frist place), so it's not named after anybody or anything it was just a name i pulled out of the air. since i've been breaking these chapters with scene-changes, this one ends here, but there is a little more to this incident, so i won't leave it hanging this way. heh, with luck i'll have the outcome typed up tomorrow afternoon. <3 hope you enjoyed this one... hughes is soooo much fun to write. XD and it's all spec that hughes took that desk job for physical reasons...just seemed a logical one to me. *shrug*

CC me!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Aoko-chan
post May 10 2005, 07:26 AM
Post #26

Alchemists

Member No.: 10,747

Ooooo very nice!!!!! Wonderful ^^!! One of the best Royai fics I ever read ^-^!! Hughes stealing other people's lunches xDD

Please write more soon!!!!!!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Glam
post May 10 2005, 10:23 AM
Post #27

Apprentice

Member No.: 7,205

Oooh! I read this story ages ago, and I loved it! ^^ I'm super happy that you finally choosed to update this fic! and i <3 your hughes!

+Quote Post
hagane_no_tokage
post May 12 2005, 07:21 PM
Post #28

here's the conclusion of chapter 2. hope you've enjoyed this one! <3 chapter 3 may be out soon, depending on how long my karaoke session runs tonight... XD

Riza walked stiff-legged down the sidewalk, her hands fists at her sides and her jaw clenched. She wasn’t quite sure why she was so upset by what had transpired all of a sudden, but she had felt the urgent need to get the hell out of their collective presence. Never one to betray her gut instincts, Riza had quickly obliged the impulse and left. But now she felt a little guilty for her hasty getaway… She had to admit that she knew the boys meant no real harm…they were both fundamentally good people, even if Roy did have an astute ability to get infuriatingly under her skin. But somehow the mere idea that the thought had even crossed his mind that she would cook him lunch—she, of all people!!—had chafed her to the point of fluster, and she hated to look flustered.

Hated it.

She just hoped Maes hadn’t been offended by her speedy departure. He was more sensitive than he might have appeared, and she would have felt awful if he thought he had been at fault. After all, this was all Roy’s fault. She huffed.

Everything was Roy’s fault. If he didn’t so excel at acting like an idiot perhaps things wouldn’t be so rocky between them. But if he was going to make an ass of himself, she was surely not going to sit around and be part of it.

Riza scowled darkly when she heard footfalls behind her, and quickened her pace.

Great…just great. Just what she needed… First he had the whole cafeteria buzzing about what was going to be in the bentou she was surely going to cook for him tomorrow…and now he was following her? Fantastic. If her grandfather ever heard about this…

“O~i, Hawkeye, wait up!” Roy called from behind her, and she contemplated breaking into an all-out sprint. “Hey~!”

He jogged to catch up with her, his longer legs easily closing the distance between them. She didn’t look at him, and he frowned at her sidelong. Then he sighed.

“Aw, look, come on, don’t be mad,” he urged, smiling a little. “We were just messing with you. You don’t have to take everything personally, you know…”

She harrumphed audibly and picked up her stride a little.

He stopped walking and scoffed.

“Don’t you get tired?”

She paused and glanced back over her shoulder to look at him.

“I beg your pardon?”

Roy’s face was stern.

“Of being pissed off all the time,” he clarified. “Doesn’t it wear you out? I know when I get mad at somebody, it’s a lot of work for me to stay mad. Doesn’t it make you tired to be like that all the time…?”

She mustered her meanest scowl and aimed it directly at him.

He scowled back.

“Lighten up a little, Hawkeye, you’ll have a stroke.” He put his hands on his hips. “It wouldn’t kill you to laugh once in a while, would it?” He sniggered. “It’s really uncute when a girl doesn’t smile, you know?”

She squinted scathingly at him.

“Aa sou…it seems you prefer girls with more of a sense of humor, I see,” she said darkly, and adjusted her backpack. “It appears I’m not really your type then, Senpai. I suppose it’s best you move on.”

And she turned to continue back toward her dorm.

Roy’s face cracked into a wry smile. Oh, but she was a shrewd one… He sprinted to catch her, and pulled ahead, turning around to walk backwards in front of her with his hands in his jacket pockets.

“You’re not getting off that easily,” he warned craftily. “I’ll win you over, you just wait.”

She quirked an eyebrow and stared at him a moment.

“Senpai…that’s dangerous,” she told him frankly, and he grinned at her.

“Why, are you gonna break my heart, Hawkeye?” he crooned.

She quirked the other eyebrow.

“No, I mean you should be careful—”

“Because you think you’ll hurt me?”

A vein bulged in her forehead.

“No, Senpai, I mean—”

“Gyaa~h!”

With an unflattering bleat of alarm, Roy felt himself lurch backward as the heel of his shoe caught an uneven crack in the sidewalk. He stumbled, his arms pinwheeling for something to regain his balance on, and upon grasping nothing but air, he lost his bearings completely and crashed magnificently to the ground…

…or rather, he would have, had Hawkeye not been blessed with the reflexes of a cobra. Without even thinking, her hand had shot out to grab his sleeve and halt his rapid descent, and they stood there a moment in awkward silence, locked as if in a rather precariously balanced tango on the sidewalk. She gave his sleeve a tug and pulled him back into equilibrium. Snapping from his stupor, Roy quickly straightened from his tottering predicament and attempted valiantly to recover his poise and looked…remarkably dignified for the whole embarrassing situation.

This was when he realized Hawkeye had covered her face and her shoulders were shaking ever so slightly. Alarmed, he reached toward her, fearing he had really managed to do something stupid this time (though he honestly couldn’t make any guesses as to what could make her cry…). Had his flailing about to recapture his balance somehow managed to injure her? Had he accidentally smacked her with his thrashing?

Oh jeez…he never had any reservations about giving her a hard time, but the last thing he wanted to do was make her…

Her breathing hitched, and she made a manner of squeaking sound. Roy lifted one eyebrow.

Wait…

It suddenly dawned on him…

She wasn’t crying, she was…giggling!?

He facefaulted. Well…this was new.

She took a deep breath and swallowed her laughter rather gallantly before meeting his gaze again, her brown eyes glittering with unvoiced amusement.

“I meant, Senpai,” she said, and bless her poker face, her voice didn’t even waver with mirth, “that it’s unwise to walk without watching where you’re going…” She lifted her hand to her mouth again and stifled an errant snort of laughter. “You’re liable to trip…”

Roy cleared his throat and scratched the back of his neck.

Shit. That’s hadn’t been very suave of him. What was he going to do now?

“Ah…Hawkeye…er…” he fumbled, and she looked expectantly at him, her eyebrows lifted and all traces of humor gone again from her stoic expression. Which was a shame, he mused, because she really did have such a pretty face. It was disappointing that she kept it hidden behind a scowl all the time.

He hesitated. How was he going to redeem himself now and regain the upper hand in the situation?

He gasped suddenly. Oh! That was right! He still had—!

He reached into his jacket pocket and squinted at Hawkeye, who was now looking at him as if he might have been indigenous to another planet. She started to ask what on earth his problem was when he made a loud shushing sound.

“Don’t…move…” he said, and she froze, suddenly a mite anxious. Was there a bug in her hair? What the hell was he…?

As she gazed oddly at him, he reached out toward her face, his fingertips grazing her cheek (why did her ears flush pink for that?).

“Well, well, well…what have we here?” he said, and she gave him a somewhat worried look. He grinned coyly and pulled his hand away from her temple, revealing in it a small bundle wrapped in a napkin from the cafeteria. He beamed like a child convinced of his own cleverness. “Look what I found behind your ear!”

Riza fought the urge to slap her forehead with her palm.

“Oooh, prestidigitation,” she drawled flatly, lowering her eyelids at him. “Mustang, anybody with a crazy uncle has seen that trick; I hardly think you’ll pick up girls with sleight of hand.”

She surely wasn’t about to tell him that, while she had seen her crazy uncle do this before…she had no clue how it was accomplished or the mechanics behind it.

Roy seemed unfazed by her blasé response to his stunt. Instead, he held the bundle up in his palm, waved the other hand in front of it, and quickly removed the napkin.

“Oh! Would you look at that…” he gasped, and Riza couldn’t help but look out of curiosity.

There was a brief moment in which Roy could almost feel his efforts crashing down around him…and then suddenly the whole foolish undertaking had been worth it when she actually rewarded him with an honest smile. For in his hand was…a corn muffin…not unlike the one he had pinched from her lunch tray.

She chuckled and shook her head hopelessly, accepting the offering as he upturned it into her palm. Giving him a wry grin, she sighed and took a step toward him—“Senpai, you really are nuts…”—before brushing past his shoulder to continue to her dorm.

He took that as a compliment.

and it is so weird to call hughes by his first name... has anybody else noticed that hughes is almost always called by his surname? but for continuity reasons, since i have been referring to roy and riza by given name, i thought calling hughes by his surname would be strange in comparison... but i think it's even stranger to call him maes... O_o

any thoughts on this chapter? XD

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Luckyalchemy27
post May 12 2005, 07:40 PM
Post #29

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 10,100

*applauds*

--------------------
I support the PAA, the Paco Association of America!
IPB Image
Thanks to Phyco Girl for the kickass sig! :3
Kindly visit my my sig shop.
Need an avatar, or got a request? Mosy on over to The 100 Avatar Challenge.
Take a visit to Emberflare Academy.

+Quote Post
Aoko-chan
post May 13 2005, 09:16 AM
Post #30

Alchemists

Member No.: 10,747

Wonderful!!!!!!! Roy and his trick xD!! *waits for Karaoke session to finish*

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th June 2016 - 03:47 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css