HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Ishbal War Vs. Iraq War, And Other Analogies To Fma Story, Post your FMA analogies here!! ^^
Hilde Knight
post Feb 14 2005, 08:12 PM
Post #1

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,203

<Editing the thread title, and adding "and other analogies to FMA story, Post your FMA analogies here!! ^^" to expand the discussion scope of this thread. ^^ 04/16/07 ~Tombow>

ETA: April 16, 2007 by Tombow
First, what I'd like to point out and remind everyone, is that we don't really know what Arakawa had in mind when she wrote FMA, and Ishivarans in the FMA (as far as FMA manga goes, she is still writing the story, but we also know, from the Interviews she gave, that she already has the ending of FMA manga, and pretty much known that from the beginning of FMA.)

Having said that, FMA is a very interesting story, and we can draw many analogies to the situations we know/learned personally, be it Palestine situation, European colonialism, the history of Indian natives in the U.S., or the Japanese-Americans in the concentration camps during WWII, and so on, and I'd like to expand this thread as a thread where we can post such analogies to FMA story. smile.gif

<Thanks Hilde Knight, for opening this thread!! I know you have been MIA from our board sometime, but.. hope you don't mind us expanding the scope of your thread to include more wider discussions. ^^ 04/16/07 ~Tombow>
=========================================
<The following is Hilde Knight's original post. ^^>

As you can guess, there is a great possibility for spoliers here. Beware.

War is a current issue that is plaguing our newspapers and televisions, and it also plays a big role in Fullmetal Alchemist.

Watching FMA the first time through, I noticed some similarities between the war that is taking place in Iraq right now and the attacks on Ishbal. Most of the things I noticed at first were petty and vague such as things like skin color (that probably sounded incredibley racist). Obviously, things that are, as I said earlier, petty and generally insignificant.

However, after watching through it a second time, I was able to take notice of more things that struck me as similiar. An example of this would be that, in a way, the head priest of Lior could be compared to Saddam.

What really struck all this, though, had to be in episode 14 with the men in the same building as Roze and the children she was looking after. I believe Roze said something along the lines of "We don't need your help, we have our own legs," which I feel to be very comparable to what we are doing in Iraq right now.

I know I'm definitely not the first to bear witness to this comparison, so I want to hear everyone elses' thoughts on the differences and similariities between Ishbal and Iraq.

Also, I don't mean to turn this into flame-fest. This isn't supposed to be about your thoughts on whether we should be in Iraq or not so don't derive the topic at hand into that.

--------------------
Exceptionally bland and completely uninteresting signature here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post Feb 15 2005, 09:13 AM
Post #2

Guests

Hey, someone else who noticed this! I think it's quite possible there's a statement being made here, too. I've noticed similarities between Islam and Ishbal that go beyond the close spelling. Monotheistic religions, Middle Eastern cultures, style of clothing, style of worship...it's fascinating.

I've also heard people compare the Ishbal-Amestris relations to a parallel of the Holocaust. Any thoughts on that?

+Quote Post
Hilde Knight
post Feb 15 2005, 07:52 PM
Post #3

Citizen

QUOTE(Guest @ Feb 15 2005, 10:13 AM)
Hey, someone else who noticed this!  I think it's quite possible there's a statement being made here, too.  I've noticed similarities between Islam and Ishbal that go beyond the close spelling.  Monotheistic religions, Middle Eastern cultures, style of clothing, style of worship...it's fascinating.

I've also heard people compare the Ishbal-Amestris relations to a parallel of the Holocaust.  Any thoughts on that?
[snapback]114280[/snapback]

Now that you mention it, it is a lot like the Holocaust. They are being pushed into concentration camps, and we see that their camps get attacked quite frequently.

We never really get any statistics on the death rate for the Ishbal Massacre (unless I'm forgetting something) so we can't really compare numbers. I'm guessing the Holocaust had a higher number of deaths, but I see what you are saying.

Also, there's the fact that it the military is attacking the camps, rather than forcing them into gas chambers, starving them, and other such things that took place under Hitler's rule.

Still two strikingly similar events though. Thanks for pointing that one out. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Yukina_Raven
post Feb 16 2005, 01:39 PM
Post #4

Alchemists

Member No.: 4,976

QUOTE(Hilde Knight @ Feb 14 2005, 08:12 PM)
What really struck all this, though, had to be in episode 14 with the men in the same building as Roze and the children she was looking after. I believe Roze said something along the lines of "We don't need your help, we have our own legs," which I feel to be very comparable to what we are doing in Iraq right now.
[snapback]113928[/snapback]

That struck me too and I agree with that 100%. That's excatly what's happening in Iraq right now. And I bet the people of Iraq are saying the very same thing, but most people aren't bothering to listen.

--------------------

(Sig copyrighted to Hikusa.)
Winter in Germany - POST SERIES! EdXWinry - Ed is trying to cope with his new life on the other side of the Gate. But now he must decide: Does he love Winry or her relfection? *COMPLETE*
My December - Sequel to 'Winter in Germany'; Ed returns after leaving again for 4 years after his return from the Gate. What awaits him is a very different place and a very broken Winry.
Brothers - A collection of short stories of Ed & Al's childhood. Implied EdXWinry.
Silkspun Dreams - Various EdxWinry one shots

+Quote Post
konic vince
post Feb 16 2005, 04:45 PM
Post #5

Apprentice

Member No.: 5,898

Everything in here is a definite possibility, though we'll never know for sure. There are so many subtleties and allusions in most well anime animes that it's really hard to really keep track of them all. Fullmetal Alchemist is amazing in that sense.

--------------------
user posted image

Ikaruga

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post Feb 17 2005, 08:21 PM
Post #6

Guests

Ishbal people are far too similar to Muslims to be a coincidence. Even the main character, SCAR, disobeys his own religion by doing extreme things. Sort of like modern day extremists that go even farther then what thier religion permits. Also like the above poster said Ishbal people are monothiestic just like Muslims. Also Ishbal people believe Alchemy to be the work of the devil. Muslims also believe that Black Magic can only be done with the devils help. I wonder if this was done on purpose?

+Quote Post
TheVileOne
post Feb 18 2005, 01:27 AM
Post #7

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 250

QUOTE(Yukina_Raven @ Feb 16 2005, 08:39 PM)
QUOTE(Hilde Knight @ Feb 14 2005, 08:12 PM)
[snapback]113928[/snapback]

That struck me too and I agree with that 100%. That's excatly what's happening in Iraq right now. And I bet the people of Iraq are saying the very same thing, but most people aren't bothering to listen.
[snapback]115136[/snapback]

Well then they should've gotten rid of Saddam on their own. Which just wasn't happening.

I think it should be said that the homunculus were manipulating everything, Lior, the military, etc. just so they could make a Philosopher's Stone. I guess you could see it as a parallel to current events in the Middle East, but I just don't think of it that way.

--------------------
"Struggle is optional. Pain is inevitable."

"This is my life. I have battled and lost, struggled and won.
I have had victory and defeat, and defeat in victory.
I will never be overmatched or unprepared.
This is who I am and who I will always be…I am Chris Benoit!"
- "The Crippler" Chris Benoit

+Quote Post
Mortari
post Feb 19 2005, 07:52 AM
Post #8

Citizen

Member No.: 4,426

QUOTE(Hilde Knight @ Feb 15 2005, 08:52 PM)
Now that you mention it, it is a lot like the Holocaust. They are being pushed into concentration camps, and we see that their camps get attacked quite frequently.

We never really get any statistics on the death rate for the Ishbal Massacre (unless I'm forgetting something) so we can't really compare numbers. I'm guessing the Holocaust had a higher number of deaths, but I see what you are saying.
[snapback]114752[/snapback]

About the numbers. You have to think that Ishbal was a whole race that almost disappered, with very few survivors. I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers were pretty much the same. The Holocaust must have had a lot more deaths, but it's still a whole race that was almost wiped out.

Now, we can also compare with the time period when Ed crosses the Gate. It was 1920's, I think. Sources say that WW1 started in 1914, because of an assasination. Now, the Ishbal Massacre started about 10 years before the main time frame of FMA, and it is explained that it started because of a secret team that were ordered to assasinate someone. So, based on that WW1 started about the same time the Ishbal Massacre started, for the same reasons.

--------------------
"Dilly-dally, shilly-shally. Isn't it time you do the forgiving?"

+Quote Post
Hikari no Hohenh...
post Feb 19 2005, 03:52 PM
Post #9

Citizen

Member No.: 3,366

http://www.revisionists.com/

About the thruth of the jewish holocaust.

--------------------
...And Make Love To You Without Touching Your Skin, And Have You In My Soul Without Having You By My Side...

user posted image

Trisha Elric (Vanessa Readi), My Only Love

Hagane no Renkinjutsushi: The Last Jihad // A HagaRen RPG

+Quote Post
vazel
post Feb 19 2005, 08:30 PM
Post #10

Citizen

Member No.: 8,043

omg, this is the lamest comparison i've ever seen. all of u that see a comparison between the ishbal war and any real wars are only seeing what u want to see into it. there is no comparison between it. this thread has gone way off the spectrum of intelligent conversation from the first post and into liberal fanatical views, intolerance, and racism. gee, btw, nice link hikari.

--------------------
"Only The Shadow Knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"

+Quote Post
Hilde Knight
post Feb 19 2005, 08:58 PM
Post #11

Citizen

QUOTE(Mortari @ Feb 19 2005, 08:52 AM)
QUOTE(Hilde Knight @ Feb 15 2005, 08:52 PM)

[snapback]114752[/snapback]

About the numbers. You have to think that Ishbal was a whole race that almost disappered, with very few survivors. I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers were pretty much the same. The Holocaust must have had a lot more deaths, but it's still a whole race that was almost wiped out.

Now, we can also compare with the time period when Ed crosses the Gate. It was 1920's, I think. Sources say that WW1 started in 1914, because of an assasination. Now, the Ishbal Massacre started about 10 years before the main time frame of FMA, and it is explained that it started because of a secret team that were ordered to assasinate someone. So, based on that WW1 started about the same time the Ishbal Massacre started, for the same reasons.
[snapback]117350[/snapback]

Ah, true. I forgot that they mention (several times, even) that they almost killed off the entire Ishbal race.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hikari no Hohenh...
post Feb 24 2005, 04:11 PM
Post #12

Citizen

Member No.: 3,366

Call me Hohenheim, plz tongue.gif

--------------------
...And Make Love To You Without Touching Your Skin, And Have You In My Soul Without Having You By My Side...

user posted image

Trisha Elric (Vanessa Readi), My Only Love

Hagane no Renkinjutsushi: The Last Jihad // A HagaRen RPG

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post Feb 26 2005, 07:12 AM
Post #13

Guests

Muslims also believe that Black Magic can only be done with the devils help.

blink.gif You're crazy. blink.gif

+Quote Post
Mad Devil
post Mar 2 2005, 04:52 AM
Post #14

Citizen

Member No.: 8,885

Yo!
there's a doubtful things that happen in all FMA series that might be
related with religious believes & country's
things that might be related with Islam, Judaism even Christianity
and Nazism
so, it wont be a strange thing to think of Ishbal as Iraq and its endless war
*sponsor*
if you've seen episode 30 you'll see Edward starring at fast changing pictures of Hitler and Arabic Alchemy book's pages,etc

+Quote Post
Chibi-Usa
post Mar 2 2005, 05:59 AM
Post #15

Alchemists

Member No.: 2,180

ya know, I thought about Iraq war when they talik about Ishbal too....

--------------------
IPB Image
^ My siggie was made by the wonderful Riza Babe!^

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2016 - 03:13 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css