Reply to this topicStart new topic
Brothers, a piece of happiness
Yukina_Raven
post Feb 7 2005, 03:04 PM
Post #1

Alchemists

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,976

(Err... my attempt to write FMA fanfiction for the first time. XD So.. yeah. Sorry for OOCness 'n stuff. Also, sorry for any grammer/spelling errors and typos. I suck at those things. ^^; Hope you enjoy it anyway! XD; )
________________________________________________________________________________

Brothers
a piece of happiness

The perfect summer day had been a true heaven. The sky painted light blue with scattered white clouds. Trees with bright green leaves and a warm breeze that made the grass blades dance. It was days like these that made living in the countryside worth it. However the day quickly went to hell. The warm breeze was replaced with a strong and brutal wind. The sky went black and dark storm clouds gathered on the horizon, inching toward the series of trees and rolling hills.

A boy of nine made his way over one of these hills, running as fast as his legs would carry him. He had been enjoying the lovely day as evident by his choice of clothes; blue shorts, sandals and a yellow and orange T-shirt. The blonde haired, golden eyed boy was headed for the dirt road at the bottom of the hill, fenced in on either side by a poorly constructed wooden fence. The combination of his speed and the slope of the hill made stopping no longer an option as the reckless boy came toward the wooden fence at an incredible speed. So he threw his hands forward and slammed into the fence, wincing as the wind was knocked from his lungs.

He paused here, panting for breath, messy blonde bangs falling around his face. He then straightened and glanced over his shoulder, eyes searching the top of the hill. Another boy appeared from over the hill, also clad in summer clothes. He had short brown hair and dark brown eyes. Although he appeared to be the same height as his brother, he was actually a year younger.

The boy at the fence, Edward, made a face. “Hurry up, Al! Stop being slow! It’s gonna rain!”

Ed turned back toward the fence and pulled himself over it, stumbling a bit as he landed on the other side.

“Brother, wait! Don’t leave without me!” Al shouted, slowing down so that he could stop at the fence.

Ed crossed his arms over his chest and waited, tapping his foot impatiently. After some difficulty, Al managed to duck underneath the fence while keeping his arms cradled against his chest. The wind was really howling now and the clouds had completely covered the sky.

“Jeez, you’re slow!” Ed sighed.

“It wasn’t my fault!” Al protested.

“Then whose fault was it?” Ed demanded, turning to face him.

Al suddenly looked like he had been caught doing something he shouldn’t be.

“Well... umm...” He glanced down at his arms.

Ed followed his brother’s eyes and saw what had taken his brother so long to catch up. A tiny black and white kitten lay curled in Al’s arms, shivering against the wind. It looked only a few weeks old. Ed’s face grew angry.

“Al!”

“I-I couldn’t just leave it there, Brother! It would be caught in this storm!”

“That’s not our problem! Throw it back!”

Al glared, although his face wavered between anger and bursting into tears.

“You know what mom’ll say,” Ed sighed, trying to pursue Al to leave the animal behind. “So go throw it back where you found it and save her the trouble.”

“That’s cruel! I won’t!”

“Argh! You idiot!”

A cool wet drop of water fell onto Ed’s face. Then another and another. Ed briefly glanced up as it began to pour.

“I won’t leave it, Brother!” Al insisted, hugging the kitten closer to protect it from the rain. It gave a weak mew of protest.

Ed was fed up. He pointed a finger at Al threateningly.

“FINE! Then you stay out here with it! I’ll tell mom you got struck by lightning! And she’ll be happy ‘cause she always liked me more anyway!”

“You’re a liar!”

“I hope you get eaten by rabid dogs!”

With that said, Ed whirled around and bolted down the path, feet slapping on the wet road that was quickly turning from dirt to mud. Ed didn’t stop running until he saw a familiar shadow of a house through the rain with a familiar flickering light near the upstairs window.

A woman stood in front of the door, a pink umbrella resting on her shoulder. She was a slender woman, wearing a pink summer dress underneath a white apron. Her brown hair was tied into a messy ponytail that was slung over her right shoulder. Her dark green eyes showed concern as she peered into the rain. She was a beautiful woman in a way only a mother could be.

A blurred figure of yellow, orange and blue suddenly ran into her. She nearly fell backwards as the weight pressed against her legs and stomach, arms tightening around her waist. Trisha blinked several times before smiling, placing her free hand gently on her son’s golden crown. She lifted the umbrella from her shoulder and held is so that both she and Ed were shielded from the rain.

“Edward, where is Al?” Trisha asked, voice calm and even, yet kind.

When there was no reply, she quickly figured out the situation. A small, exasperated sigh came from her lightly painted lips.

“Oh, I see. Did you two have a fight?”

Again, no answer, as she expected. She lifted her eyes and squinted through the rain. She searched the road, but there was no sign of her other son. A sudden crack of thunder caused them both to jump. Trisha smiled sheepishly to herself for her actions as Ed tightened his grip on her waist. Sighing, Trisha suddenly put on an over-dramatic look of concern on her face and sighed loudly.

“Oh my, what a terrible storm! Poor Alphonso, to be lost in such weather! Oh, I do hope nothing happens to him! I don’t know what I’d do if he were injured!”

Trisha sighed again, however her face quickly turned into a look of surprise as the weight on her legs abruptly left and her hand rested on nothing. She glanced down in time to see Ed’s retreating back disappear into the rain. She smiled lightly and dropped her umbrella back onto her shoulder.

Ed stopped where he had departed with his younger brother, panting. He glanced around, squinting through the downpour and pushing wet bangs from his eyes. Frowning angrily, he cupped his hands over his mouth.

“Al! Al! Where are you? Answer me! AL! You better not have gotten eaten!”

There was no reply. Only the rain and another crack of thunder that made Ed shiver. Using a word that most ten-year-olds shouldn’t know, Ed took off down the path. He continued to shout for his brother, looking more and more desperate as the minutes pasted. Then he came to a screeching halt, nearly falling face first in the mud. His eyes had caught a hole in the side of a hill. A fox burrow that had been dug out. Ed hurried over and peered in.

Sure enough, he found Al curled up inside, kitten in his arms. Upon his entry, Al opened one eye to look at him. He glared and hid his face. Ed snorted and plopped himself beside him, wrapping his arms around himself.

“Aren’t you cold?” Ed asked after a moment of silence.

“...A-A little...”

“Mom didn’t believe me. Guess you’re her favorite.”

Al cautiously peeked one eye out at his brother. “Mom doesn’t have favorites...”

“Maybe...”

Ed stood, wiping his hands on the back of his shorts. “Maybe we can keep it.”

“It... died...”

Ed looked startled. He glanced over to see Al sitting up, cradling the motionless kitten in his arms. His eyes told Ed he had been crying and he couldn’t help but feel a pang of guilt. He shrugged it off, trying to pretend it didn’t bother him.

“Things die,” He said matter-of-factly.

“People aren’t things...”

“Cat’s aren’t people.”

“Yeah, but Winry’s parents were...”

Ed frowned, instantly sad. He glanced back at Al, who was on the verge of tears. The golden eyed boy crouched beside him, reaching out to stroke the kitten’s silky fur.

“Do you wanna bury it?”

Al barely nodded. Ed took the kitten in one hand and began to dig with the other, occasionally making a grunt of effort as he worked. Once the hole was big and deep enough, he sat the lifeless kitten into the hole and buried it. All the while Al watched, knees to his chest and arms folded on his knees. When the job was finished, Ed dusted off his hands and stood up, looking over at Al.

“Let’s hurry.”

Al nodded. “Yeah...”

“Want me to carry you?”

“Okay...”

Thus the scene Trisha saw before her. Edward trudging down the path, struggling through the rain with Al on his back. Both were muddy and soaked to the bone. She hurried them inside, giving them pajamas to change into after she dried them off. She then ushered them toward the fire with wool blankets and a cup of hot chocolate each.

Trisha sighed softly as she hung their clothes over the stove, making sure not to hang them too close. She glanced over her shoulder, greeted with the sight of her two sons in front of the fire, wrapped in their separate blankets. They still seemed, at least to her, angry with each other. Smiling a bit, Trisha wiped her damp hands onto her apron and walked over to them. She placed her hands on her hips, glancing between the two.

“Are you two still angry at each other?”

Neither of them replied and Trisha sighed softly. She sat down between them, bringing her knees to her chest and wrapping her arms around her legs in mimic of their position. She continued to copy them, staring into the fire with the same blank stare. Ed and Al both glanced at her, before glancing at each other. Ed shrugged and Al turned back to the fire. The three sat there for a long time, listening to the rain pound the roof and the fire crackle as it burned. Occasionally Ed and Al would glance toward their mother, both growing worried as she didn’t move. Finally, Ed could not longer stand it. He stood and lunged, throwing off the blanket and wrapping his arms around his mother’s neck.

Trisha let out a startled cry that quickly turned into a laugh as she fell over, nearly squashing poor Al. She wrapped her arms around Ed and pulled him close, laughing.

“You can never sit still for more than three minutes, can you?” She chuckled.

Ed gave her a goofy grin before Al joined the pile, pouncing on his brother instead. Trisha laughed as the two went rolling away. She sat up on her knees, watching her two sons wrestle playfully, both laughing and teasing each other lightly. When they had tired themselves out, they both crawled toward their mother and feel asleep beside her.

Trisha smiled and placed her hands on their heads, both in her lap. She stayed there with them long after the last ember of the fire had flickered out.

--------------------

(Sig copyrighted to Hikusa.)
Winter in Germany - POST SERIES! EdXWinry - Ed is trying to cope with his new life on the other side of the Gate. But now he must decide: Does he love Winry or her relfection? *COMPLETE*
My December - Sequel to 'Winter in Germany'; Ed returns after leaving again for 4 years after his return from the Gate. What awaits him is a very different place and a very broken Winry.
Brothers - A collection of short stories of Ed & Al's childhood. Implied EdXWinry.
Silkspun Dreams - Various EdxWinry one shots
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Feb 7 2005, 03:45 PM
Post #2

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

That was wonderful to read. A happy story is exactly what I needed.

And while I'm here, I love your avatar.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Yukina_Raven
post Feb 7 2005, 04:03 PM
Post #3

Alchemists

Ah, thank you! I'm glad my story could sorta kinda cheer you up. happy.gif

Hehehehe... and again, thanks. Poor Edward. biggrin.gif

--------------------

Winter in Germany - POST SERIES! EdXWinry - Ed is trying to cope with his new life on the other side of the Gate. But now he must decide: Does he love Winry or her relfection? *COMPLETE*
My December - Sequel to 'Winter in Germany'; Ed returns after leaving again for 4 years after his return from the Gate. What awaits him is a very different place and a very broken Winry.
Brothers - A collection of short stories of Ed & Al's childhood. Implied EdXWinry.

+Quote Post
hidden_death
post Feb 10 2005, 04:17 AM
Post #4

Apprentice

Member No.: 6,634

best fanfic i've read all day! laugh.gif

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Yukina_Raven
post Feb 13 2005, 08:04 PM
Post #5

Alchemists

Thanks! happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Linda
post Feb 13 2005, 10:31 PM
Post #6

Citizen

Member No.: 4,885

I was quite surprised when Ed offered Al to be carried. happy.gif I thought Ed might fall over when he was running in the rain, or Al would fall off of Ed.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Yukina_Raven
post Feb 14 2005, 05:28 PM
Post #7

Alchemists

Hehehehe, well, Ed loves his brother, so why not? biggrin.gif Thanks for reading! happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kou the Lightnin...
post Feb 16 2005, 07:23 AM
Post #8

Citizen

Member No.: 7,815

Very Nice indeed, i enjoyed it more and more as i read along. Very detailed.

--------------------
"Love isn't great, it's horrible." - Anonymous

+Quote Post
Yukina_Raven
post Feb 16 2005, 01:16 PM
Post #9

Alchemists

Ah, thank you, thank you! happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Yukina_Raven
post Feb 16 2005, 01:22 PM
Post #10

Alchemists

Yay for me writing FMA fanfics when I'm suppose to be doing my Chem. paper. XD; *cough* Just more Ed & Al cuteness when they were kids. It's short and I personally don't think it's all that good... but oh well. I'll let you guys judge it. Again, sorry for my typos and crappy spelling...

________________________________________________________________________________
Brothers II
dreaming of the sun

It had been raining all day. However the downpour had started only a few hours ago. The wind howled and made the entire house groan. Thunder cracked loudly with every flash of lightning and tree branches slapped against the windows. Ed would be the last one to ever admit it, but thunderstorms like these terrified him. On nights like these, he and Al would usually huddle underneath the blankets together and pretend the storm wasn’t there. They would tell each other jokes and stories to keep their minds off of the terrible beast outside. However tonight Ed was alone in the large double bed he and Al usually shared. He hid underneath the covers by himself, head shoved underneath his pillow in a vain attempt to block out the noise of the thunder and wind. He was sure the house was going to fall in on him as the roof gave a loud groan and something fell on it with a loud whack.

Ed’s missing brother wasn’t too far away. He was in the spare room at the end of the hall usually reserved for the few, but occasional, guests. Another double bed sat in this medium sized room, head board against the wall. The room was mostly dark, save for the single lamp on the night stand near the head of the bed. The curtains had been drawn over the window to keep the chill of the air from the room. In bed lay Al, miserable with a high fever and a terrible cough that made it impossible for him to fall asleep. A glass of water sat on the night stand near him, untouched. The boy of eight coughed as he lay on his back, cheeks slightly red from his fever. He moaned softly as the cough hurt his raw throat and he rolled over on his side, burying his face into his pillow and coughing some more.

The door to the room suddenly opened an Trisha ended, wearing a white night dress underneath a fuzzy bathrobe with matching slippers. Her soft brown hair hung loosely around her face, not pulled into its usual ponytail that hung over her shoulders. She yawned, placing a slender hand over her mouth as she entered the room, feet silent on the carpet. She stopped at Al’s bedside and smiled down at her son.

“Nearly two and still not asleep. My poor darling,” She cooed softly.

Al turned his face from the pillow to look at her with teary eyes. Trisha took this moment to reach down and place a cool hand to her forehead. She frowned at the heat that radiated from his skin and withdrew her hand. She sat down on the edge of the bed, pulling the blankets further up on his shivering frame.

“There, there... the medicine will work soon, I promise. Just try and get some sleep, Alphonso,” Trisha told him gentle, smoothing back his brown hair as he went into another coughing fit.

She frowned sympathetically at his cough and reached for the glass of water, holding it out to him.

“Here, try this.”

Al, with one hand over his mouth, blinked at the water. After a moments thought he reached out with small hands and grasp it, bringing it toward him and taking several gulps. Trisha smiled as the water momentarily stopped his coughing. She took the water back, placing it on the wooden night stand and stood. She tucked the blankets around him one last time.

“I’ll be back to check on you again. Just call if you need me sooner.”

She then turned and walked silently from the room, closing the door only part way behind her. Stifling another yawn, Trisha turned and headed toward her room at the other end of the hall. She failed to notice a single golden eye peering through the small crack in the door beside her own. The eye watched her past and waited for the door to shut before Ed opened the door wider. He slipped into the hall, hugging a stuffed cat to his chest and wearing light blue pajamas. He quickly, but quietly, made his way to the room Trisha had just stepped out of. He peered through the small opening to see Al coughing into his pillow. Looking worried, Ed slipped into the room and shut the door behind him. The noise made Al look up and blink.

“Brother...? Why are you here...?” He muttered, voice hoarse from the sore throat and lack of sleep.

Ed didn’t reply as he shuffled to Al’s bedside and held out the rather ragged stuffed cat.

“U-Umm... here...” He said, eyes glancing at the floor.

Al blinked, trying to focus on the stuffed animal. He then smiled weakly and took it, cuddling it to his chest. Ed watched him with a small smirk.

“You’re such a baby, sleeping with stuffed animals,” He teased.

“I-I am not!” Al protested, then fell into another coughing fit.

Ed’s face fell and he backed away a bit, guilty he had caused it. A loud clap of thunder shook the house and Al cried out, burrowing under the covers where he proceeded to cough more. Ed unconsciously inched toward the bed, eyeing the window fearfully. He then turned his eyes to the lump underneath the blanket, shaking with every cough. After a moment he then climbed up onto the bed, slipping once. The weight made Al peek out from under the covers.

“Ed... you can’t. Mama said that if you’re near me, you’ll get sick too...” Al said, trying to prevent Ed from crawling underneath the covers with him.

“I won’t get sick,” Ed reassured his little brother.

“But Mama said--”

“I’m fine! See, I’m not sick now, right?”

Al blinked before coughing into the stuffed cat held tightly against his chest. Ed used this as an opportunity to pull back the blankets and crawl underneath, pulling the blankets over his head.

“You’re scared of the thunder, right?” Ed asked quietly, now underneath the covers with the coughing Al.

Al nodded in-between his coughs, eyes cast downward in shame.

“Then I’ll stay here and you won’t be scared anymore.”

Al nodded again and snuggled closer to Ed as another thunder clap rattled the window.

When Trisha returned to the room an hour later, she nearly panicked when she saw no one in the bed. However a second glance saw two lumps underneath the covers. Frowning, she walked over to the bed and pulled back the covers to reveal Ed and Al, both sound asleep. Although Al coughed occasionally, he was no doubt asleep. Trisha shook her head.

“Now you’re going to get sick, Edward,” She sighed softly, tucking the blankets around the both of them this time.

Trisha knew the best thing would be to separate the sleeping brothers. However looking at them, Al finally asleep due to Ed’s presences, she just didn’t have the heart. Instead, she tucked them in tightly, kissed them both on the forehead and left the room for the remainder of the night.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Feb 16 2005, 01:26 PM
Post #11

Moderator Emeritus

Oh thats such a lovely little story. Really shows the bond between them. Well written as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Yukina_Raven
post Feb 16 2005, 06:18 PM
Post #12

Alchemists

Ah, thanks very much! It means a lot coming from a great author like you. happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Feb 16 2005, 06:38 PM
Post #13

Moderator Emeritus

Now don't give me a swelled head. rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Quistis88
post Feb 16 2005, 10:16 PM
Post #14

Executive Officer (Spam Assassin)
Group Icon

Group: Moderating Admin
Member No.: 16

If it has the same title, please post it in the same thread. Thank you in advance, kids.

--------------------
SINCERELY,
Quistis
(Forum Spam Assassin, Vice-Mother, and Queen of the Grammar Police)

This sentence says something else when you're not looking.

+Quote Post
Yukina_Raven
post Feb 17 2005, 03:10 PM
Post #15

Alchemists

QUOTE(Chiyo @ Feb 16 2005, 06:38 PM)
Now don't give me a swelled head. rolleyes.gif
[snapback]115409[/snapback]

Hehehehe... I speak only truth. wink.gif

Ah, okie-doke. Sorry 'bout that Quistis88 and thanks for merging them.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2016 - 11:17 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css