Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Chobits, Spoiler Alerts!
DeEP
post Aug 3 2004, 01:25 PM
Post #1

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 67

Just finished reading "Chobits" (Chobits anime is airing in Poland now ^^)
I found it to be not very funny, though. Anyone agree? unsure.gif

(Source: Wiki, Chobits)

Written by Clamp
Published by Japan Kodansha
English publisher
Australia, New Zealand: Madman Entertainment
Canada, United Kingdom, United States: Tokyopop, Dark Horse Manga
Demographic Seinen
Magazine Young Magazine
Original run 14 February 2001 29 November 2002
Volumes 8
Genre Romantic comedy, Science Fiction

Chobits is a Japanese manga created by the Japanese manga collective Clamp. It was published by Kodansha in Young Magazine from February 2001 to November 2002 and collected in eight bound volumes. Unlike most stories by Clamp, Chobits is a seinen series commonly mistaken for shōjo because of its strong romantic themes and flowery art style.

The series tells the story of Hideki Motosuwa, who finds an abandoned persocom, or personal computer with human form, that he names "Chi" after the only word it initially can speak.
As the series progresses, they explore the mysteries of Chi's origin together and questions about the relationship between human beings and persocoms.
The manga is set in the same universe as Angelic Layer, taking place a few years after the events of that story, and like Angelic Layer, it explores the relationship between human beings and electronic devices shaped like human beings.
Chobits branches off as a crossover into many other stories in different ways, such as Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle, xxxHolic and Kobato.

Reason for edit: Description and info added by Mod
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
Renkinjutsu
post Aug 3 2004, 01:36 PM
Post #2

Citizen

Member No.: 338

I agree.. the humour is mainly in the first couple of chapters only. (that's all I've read, so that's all I know) but yeah, its acsue of the "humour"

--------------------
user posted image

user posted image

Yugure Renkinjutsushi (Twilight ALchemist)

+Quote Post
Quistis88
post Aug 3 2004, 03:39 PM
Post #3

Executive Officer (Spam Assassin)
Group Icon

Group: Moderating Admin
Member No.: 16

CLAMP made "Chobits" out to be somewhat more 'mature' than most of their other work, I presume. One of the biggest reasons why males like it is because of its suggestive style, and the girls who like it think it's 'adorable.'

The plot itself isn't one of CLAMP's best, but it does address some good ethical issues. In my opinion, "Chobits" might be used to exaggerate one's love for these so-called 'non-living' things, and turning some of these cases into more than just a love that one would have for their possessions. The main question is, "Is that sort of love still 'right', even if it's not directed towards a real human?"

Although the legendary "Chobits" is made to be like an advanced AI with human instincts and emotions, essentially, it can never be truly human because it most likely lacks organs, and have computer chips in place of those organs.

Or, perhaps, I'm just looking into it too much. tongue.gif

--------------------
SINCERELY,
Quistis
(Forum Spam Assassin, Vice-Mother, and Queen of the Grammar Police)

This sentence says something else when you're not looking.

+Quote Post
Chibi Viki
post Aug 4 2004, 09:21 AM
Post #4

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 32

i agree with you, quistis88

at first I liked chobits because of the humor and the cute characters... but it became lame later on.

i still could not agree with the humanxcomputer thing... it's just... gross. it's like falling in love with an appliance made to look like a human. cruel as it may sound, it just seems wrong to me... how naive of me to think that there was a human Chii somewhere.

the ending took a nose dive too... i mean, what the hell were those two other persocoms who seems to be looking for Chii for anyway?! they practically did nothing but occupy paper space.

--------------------
- Moderator Emeritus -

+Quote Post
BlueRakuen
post Aug 4 2004, 11:04 AM
Post #5

Citizen

Member No.: 140

Chobit was a major disapointment (sp?) to me... especially the anime
I mean... an entire episode just for buying panties!! dry.gif
And god, Chii is cute but not sexy!! 0__o

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Quistis88
post Aug 4 2004, 02:35 PM
Post #6

Group Icon

QUOTE(Chibi Viki @ Aug 4 2004, 10:20 AM)
the ending took a nose dive too... i mean, what the hell were those two other persocoms who seems to be looking for Chii for anyway?! they practically did nothing but occupy paper space.

I agree, Chibi Viki. Perhaps CLAMP thought that "Chobits" needed more 'villains' other than Kojima, so they added those two in there.

It probably didn't seem as good because they appeared so suddenly. If it was an on-going thing that started near the beginning of the series, then it might have been better. Introducing them near the end makes the anime lack that special 'seamless' quality that a good storyline should have.

--------------------
SINCERELY,
Quistis

+Quote Post
DeEP
post Aug 4 2004, 02:45 PM
Post #7

Citizen

Member No.: 67

The story lack villians and those two weren't villians at all.

+Quote Post
Quistis88
post Aug 4 2004, 05:58 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

QUOTE(DeEP @ Aug 4 2004, 03:45 PM)
The story lack villians and those two weren't villians at all.

Which is why 'villains' is in quotations. biggrin.gif

--------------------
SINCERELY,
Quistis

+Quote Post
filimonovna
post Aug 5 2004, 03:52 AM
Post #9

Apprentice

Member No.: 351

Well, when I started reading Chobits, the story seemed really fun to me. The idea was rather unusual and the whole story was really funny. But it started disappointing me more and more with each chapter. 'Oh, she's so cute! But she's a persocon! What a shame!' and blah blah blah. In the end it appeared to be really boring. I mean - there's no action in this story, moreover, there's no sense action. I'm disappointed with Chobits - I heard so mcu about it, but it appeared to pointless.

--------------------
...if you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of endless run,
Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

W. Blake

+Quote Post
Crimsonblade
post Aug 11 2004, 06:27 PM
Post #10

Citizen

Member No.: 325

The problem I have is so many girls that I know that read manga only read stupid stuff. They hate Naruto, and none have even heard of FMA.

A bunch of them like Ranma, and I kinda thought Ranma was funny at first, but it didn't GO anywhere. It was the same thing: I don't love you, but I'll get pissed off when some other guy hits on you. Then we'll fight, I'll win, and you say "you love me!" and then I say, "No ho, you just a bitch" and so on and so forth.

I try not to read "MATURE" manga just because I think it makes me look cool. You don't need to be edgy to be cool, it just takes a decent plot with characters you can really understand and connect with.

Thinking in those terms, I don't know why I like GTO so much.... I guess its because the characters have diverse backgrounds...not to mention the art is funny as hell.

--------------------
Prison is like a game. If you drop the soap, you lose.

+Quote Post
filimonovna
post Aug 19 2004, 03:07 AM
Post #11

Apprentice

Well, I've got a bigger problem - I have a lot of guys whom I know reading girlish mangas. 'Aizu is love, Aizu is cool!' I tried to read it but it is boring for me. I myself liked 'Utena' before and not ahsamed of it - I'm also not reading mature manga because it's cool. But the more I get to know manga world, the more I like mangas like FMA or Hellsing. I'm really happy I knew about FMA - it's the best manga of the kind I like.

--------------------

W. Blake

+Quote Post
rsF
post Aug 19 2004, 04:08 AM
Post #12

Apprentice

Member No.: 421

Here's a different answer: I hate the manga, but I love the anime.

The anime really brings the character and personality of each person, and I really loved the anime show. You can agree with me or not, but thought i'd give a different opinion.

<3

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Chibi Viki
post Aug 19 2004, 04:25 AM
Post #13

Moderator Emeritus

the biggest disappointment for me was the ending... it's like, everyone was dying to find out just what the heck made Chii so special, what was it that made the chobits so special anyway... the answer was that it had a program that no other had which is.... huh?

remember the ending when Freya was about to tell Hideki about the program that made Chii so special? after asking freya if it would hurt chii if he didn't find out, and she answered no, he just went something like, "then... nevermind..."

WHAT?! All this time, we've been waiting to find out what made the chobits so special and THIS is their answer?! I after reading that, I really felt stupid for even thinking the story will go deeper, that the ending will be something spectacular *bonks head on table*

Geez, I'm never reading Clamp again...

--------------------
- Moderator Emeritus -

+Quote Post
Chibi Viki
post Aug 19 2004, 05:18 AM
Post #14

Moderator Emeritus

ahehehe, spoiled now, are you? anyway, chap 1-2 were the funniest volumes for me.

--------------------
- Moderator Emeritus -

+Quote Post
filimonovna
post Aug 19 2004, 05:28 AM
Post #15

Apprentice

QUOTE (Chibi Viki @ Aug 19 2004, 12:18 PM)
chap 1-2 were the funniest volumes for me.

They were really great! the beginning of this manga gives you sence that you're reading something extremely special and interesting, the more you read the more this vision becomes - those strange ppl, looking for Chii, Black Chii and all the stuff. But when you end it it's just - Huh? The trick people! The beginning is great, but the end is disappointing!

PS. At least you get to know how to say in a japanese store "MAy I get underwear?'

--------------------

W. Blake

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2016 - 07:09 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css