HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Do You Believe In Alternative Medicine?, Herbs, psychic healing and the like
Do you believe in alternative medicine?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 48
Guests cannot vote 
MiyokoChan
post Aug 26 2005, 11:37 AM
Post #31

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,931

Bacon, yes perhaps if you're bleeding profusely out of a serious gash, you should go to the emergency room. Or if you've broken some bones and they need to be set. Or, you need a liver transplant. Or some serious intensive care.

But remember, even Digitalis (for irregular heartbeat) is made of Foxglove, a plant. Story goes: Doctor had a patient with irregular heartbeat. Doctor told patient (who is wheezing and coughing and gasping for air) that he couldn't cure it. About a week or so later the doctor sees his patient walking around, perfectly fine. The doctor asked him what happens. Patient says, well since you couldn't cure me I went to this herb woman. She gave me this. *holds up bag of herbs* Doctor takes bag of herbs, researches it, and finds Foxglove, which helped the irregular heartbeat. Doctor makes tons of money off of a curative that has been around for a very long time. Thus, Digitalis was born.

Thing being, there's no money for scientists if they research plants and herbs any farther than the imperical research already done just simply by these things being around for a long time. The money comes from pharmaseudical (sp) companies selling drugs, so they hire researches for that. Unfortunately, drugs are not the cure-all.

I just think that people should look for the best options available. Whatever that option may be.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
~FMAgurl~
post Aug 26 2005, 02:20 PM
Post #32

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 5,210

Would marijuana count as an herb? My mother told me once that marijuana to help swelling go down or something like that. I can't remember, but it was used for some kind of medicine in Trinidad.

--------------------

"Stand tall, smile bright, and let 'em wonder what secret's making you laugh." -Angels and Demons

**My sig and avy are NOT my photography**

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Aug 26 2005, 02:52 PM
Post #33

Gallery Mod Emeritus

From: In your daughter's bedroom, chanting lines from the Necrololicon
Member No.: 526

QUOTE(~FMAgurl~ @ Aug 26 2005, 04:20 PM)
Would marijuana count as an herb? My mother told me once that marijuana to help swelling go down or something like that. I can't remember, but it was used for some kind of medicine in Trinidad.
[snapback]262821[/snapback]

yeeeeeees biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ROY'S FRIEND
post Aug 28 2005, 02:44 PM
Post #34

Citizen

Member No.: 20,998

I believe in it, but I only believe it when my grandma says it real!

--------------------
"You can call me Roy Mustang, or colonel, heck you can call me The Flame Alchemist, but whatever you do remember the pain"

..::5 Star General Melissa Mustang: The Blade Alchemist::..

IPB Image

+Quote Post
MiyokoChan
post Aug 29 2005, 02:07 PM
Post #35

Citizen

Member No.: 18,931

A lot of people use marijuana for medical reasons. It helps them eat.

+Quote Post
Envy's lil...
post Aug 29 2005, 02:55 PM
Post #36

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Member No.: 7,890

Marijuana is actually used for alot of things such as nausia and pain. They did a study with AIDS patients and gave half of them pot as a pain killer, these people did much better because the pot stimulated their appetite and so they kept more weight on then the people who took regular drugs.

I don't know about the swelling, I've never heard of that one.

+Quote Post
Taskinst
post Feb 21 2006, 04:28 PM
Post #37

Alchemists

Member No.: 28,427

Well am really not sure. my mother and her boyfriend sure does. and i'll take there word for it because he's a doctor and she's a nurse
i remeber when my brother was about 4 years old he started getting asthma really bad. We took him to the doctor and he have him a asthma pump. But it seemed like everytime he took it he got worse.
Then my mother started giving him this thing called Cod Liver Oil. After a couple of weeks his attacks stops and all he does is have a bad cough once in a while.

--------------------

+Quote Post
trecia
post Jun 24 2006, 12:09 AM
Post #38

Alchemists

Member No.: 36,367

yeah, i believe in alternative medicine. my mom had this lower back pain a few years ago, she took in some meds but the pain persisted for days. i used this thing called "ventusa" on her and the next day the pain was gone, just like that *snapping fingers* laugh.gif

--------------------
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

"It’s the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting." -The Alchemist; Paulo Coelho

"Every book has a great love story that would never happen in reality, but once you fall in love, reality becomes a story better than any other book." -from an episode in Boys Be

"I would rather be a ghost drifting by your side, as a condemned soul, than enter heaven without you… Because of your love, I will never be a lonely spirit" -crouching tiger hidden dragon

+Quote Post
asunder
post Jun 24 2006, 12:24 AM
Post #39

Special Ops (Intelligence Officer)
Group Icon

Group: Moderating Admin
Member No.: 30,877

Called ventusa, the Chinese-inspired healing method is aimed at removing bad blood in the body. The process requires a patient to lie prone and undergo insertion of needles connected to bottles mostly in the back side. The needles would then suck out blood, the ones that "prevent circulation" which would then flow in the bottles.

Is this what you're talking about?

I think there's some merit to acupuncture but for the most part there's a lot of BS in 'alternative' medicine. Take for example...reflexology http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflexology

For any diagnosis or intervention , I trust contemporary medicine.

--------------------
Everytime you post something mind numbingly retarded, this forum crashes.

+Quote Post
Ishbal~Alchemist
post Jun 28 2006, 11:16 PM
Post #40

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 33,926

Hmm.... well, being Wiccan, of course I believe in alternative medecine. But I believe that it HELPS. I don't believe that it can completely cure a serious illness, but it can certainly help you feel better when you have a headache, PMS or something like that....

--------------------
IPB Image
avatar by Monkeh. ARIGATOU!!! LUV YA!!!
Signature by Chiyo

+Quote Post
trecia
post Jun 30 2006, 12:10 AM
Post #41

Alchemists

Member No.: 36,367

QUOTE(asu @ Jun 24 2006, 03:24 PM) [snapback]415597[/snapback]

Called ventusa, the Chinese-inspired healing method is aimed at removing bad blood in the body. The process requires a patient to lie prone and undergo insertion of needles connected to bottles mostly in the back side. The needles would then suck out blood, the ones that "prevent circulation" which would then flow in the bottles.

Is this what you're talking about?

I think there's some merit to acupuncture but for the most part there's a lot of BS in 'alternative' medicine. Take for example...reflexology http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflexology

For any diagnosis or intervention , I trust contemporary medicine.

nope. is that ventusa or accupuncture? ventusa does require you to lie in prone position but it uses a glass, a slice of ginger, cotton, oil and matches... the procedure is invasive... no punctures done...

--------------------
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

"It’s the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting." -The Alchemist; Paulo Coelho

"Every book has a great love story that would never happen in reality, but once you fall in love, reality becomes a story better than any other book." -from an episode in Boys Be

"I would rather be a ghost drifting by your side, as a condemned soul, than enter heaven without you… Because of your love, I will never be a lonely spirit" -crouching tiger hidden dragon

+Quote Post
asunder
post Jun 30 2006, 12:55 AM
Post #42

Special Ops (Intelligence Officer)
Group Icon

Group: Moderating Admin
Member No.: 30,877

QUOTE(trecia @ Jun 30 2006, 03:10 AM) [snapback]418441[/snapback]

nope. is that ventusa or accupuncture? ventusa does require you to lie in prone position but it uses a glass, a slice of ginger, cotton, oil and matches... the procedure is invasive... no punctures done...

So what is invasive about it then? If no punctures are done, it would be termed non-invasive.

--------------------
Everytime you post something mind numbingly retarded, this forum crashes.

+Quote Post
Semiotic Alchemi...
post Oct 16 2006, 09:33 PM
Post #43

Apprentice

Member No.: 42,045

Gonna try n spice this one up, bring back to life . . .

but first; I completely agree with the above pro-alternative med. arguments. of course some might be mroe effective then others and some might be pure BS, but some of the methods are trial and error concations, that (like Edison) only ever became renowned after maybe the 1000th try until they got it right. But of course it's hard to divide between which are real and which are just charlatanic (is that a word . . .)

And of course a lot of these remedy's are mental as are all remedies. Mostly your main mental wellness will determine your physical wellness, it has been documented, although I cannot give examples. It all ahs to do with the fine balance between your spiritual and physical and mental self, and all of them should be in check.

Of course everyone get's the flu now and then rolleyes.gif . . .

So now, what would you think of remedies that perhaps are frowned upon by most governements. Like, oh I dunno, marijuana for one? There's beena back and forth debate that it's both good and bad for you, in equating amounts, but who's telling the truth?

--------------------
"Pale white and black with false citrine, imperfect white and red.
The peacock's feathers in bright colors, the rainbow in the sky above.
The spotted panther, the green lion, the crow's beak blue as lead.
These shall appear before you in perfect white, and many more others.
After the perfect white follows the grey and false citrine also.
And after these shall appear the substance invarible."

+Quote Post
Amol
post Nov 15 2006, 02:23 AM
Post #44

Major General

Member No.: 39,340

I dont belive in alt. med. ... they dont always work.
Herbs and stuff .... i havent ever seen them produce results as people say they do.
I think its use less.

+Quote Post
000_neji
post Nov 15 2006, 04:47 AM
Post #45

Alchemists

Member No.: 40,666

Of course it exists! I believe in that,i remembered we once interviewed a chinese doctor and he said some evidences of alt. med. like garlic,ganoderma,mushrooms and etc....herbs are more helpful than modern medicines or western medicines,,,..its natural...

--------------------
"I'm Hyuuga Neji and you know It...."
"I refuse to a Battle of Wits with an Unarmed person..."

Our own site...Check it out...

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2016 - 08:03 PM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css