HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V  « < 8 9 10  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Boys And Girls!, Boys = Toy Cars, Girls = Dolls
Can boys and girls be interested in themes/games that only seem to fit to the opposite sex?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 171
Guests cannot vote 
Naivete
post Sep 22 2008, 10:10 PM
Post #136

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Group: Members
Member No.: 43,484

I am interested in some things that regularly only males would be interested in (aka: breasts & yuri).

Interesting fact: I go to an all girls school, and quite a large number of us like boobies. I think all of my friends (sadly enough, that includes me) enjoy perving on each other/others on a regular basis...

--------------------

Destitute shrine maidens need no donation boxes.

Romantically Apocalyptic
It summons cancer.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bramblefox
post Dec 19 2008, 10:46 AM
Post #137

Citizen

Member No.: 64,549

Having grown up with three brothers, I guess it's sort of inevitable that I should like 'guy' stuff. happy.gif When I was 5 and younger I kind of liked dolls, and I only recently put my stuffed animals away for good, but for the most part I've been interested in adventure/action movies and book, video games, outdoor activities, etc...I only like romance if it's portrayed in a believable manner, but I'm more likely to go for adventure. And I only wear dresses for church--any other time and I'm in a t-shirt and jeans.

--------------------
"Who the hell is responsible for this fiasco??"--Colonel Mustang
"Would you like my hat?"--Monsieur l'Inspecteur Javert, uttering one of the greatest lines of literary history

Banner by Icygirl
My website

+Quote Post
fmadiva
post Nov 13 2009, 10:16 PM
Post #138

Citizen

Member No.: 47,009

Thanks for bringing up this subject. This irks me so much: people let little girls play with boy toys but when little boys play with girl toys he's suddenly gonna be gay and he must be cured by joining a football team too early! mad.gif It's unfair and it annoys me.

Anyway I used to be a huge tomboy back then. I vowed to love the color blue forever(I Still kind of do),I used to wrestle boys alot(and beat almost everyone except one...),I used to love Power Rangers I even had the birthday cake. But I did like pretty dresses and Barbies. I'm more girly now though I actually like pink and romance novels..... confused.gif weird

--------------------
RoyxEd<3

+Quote Post
Rainshine
post Nov 14 2009, 12:23 AM
Post #139

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 64,866

When my little sister was little she played with Teddy Bears, making teddy bear families.

When I was little I played with toy dinosaurs, making them eat each other.

._.

So yeah...I voted Yes.
I was very much a tomboy when I was little, and I think it's fine if girls play with toy cars or boys play with barbies. happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Disasterpiece
post Dec 6 2009, 07:13 AM
Post #140

Alchemists

Member No.: 66,581

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzrZj3GZS8o

sums up the debate

--------------------

EdwardxWinry

[credit goes to Aquarina :D]

+Quote Post
kazare
post Dec 21 2009, 12:46 AM
Post #141

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,582

Well, it is now modern age ,, There are no women left in the world who hadn't used pants right?

--------------------

Love what you need to love. Avoid Hatred or loathing as much as possible.
Add: Facebook Tumblr Twitter

+Quote Post
Katya Martin
post Dec 21 2009, 01:07 AM
Post #142

Alchemists

Member No.: 72,181

Not actually true; certain religions don't allow women to wear pants. Scandalous or something.

There's probably plenty of living proof all over these boards, at any rate. I saw plenty of epic battles between the Barbies and the plastic dinosaurs in my childhood, not to mention my best friend's little brother always playing with our stuff, and have ended up in the crowd of computer geeks and gamers, joining the ranks of women that make up a small percentage of the field of computer science. Oh gosh, I'm even a girl on the internet.

I've been irritated by the "girl toys/boy toys" thing for as long as I can remember. "Happy meal" toys are particularly egregious. I remember asking my mom to tell them I was a boy so that I could get the Hot Wheels car instead of the doll; I've just seen it get sickeningly worse. This is the twenty-first century, we're supposed to be more enlightened than ever, so why are we enforcing idiotic stereotypes?

--------------------

awesomeness by Arakawa, Project FMA banner by Aribelle, avatar by me
I draw things.

+Quote Post
angelstar2408
post Apr 19 2010, 10:32 AM
Post #143

Apprentice

Member No.: 68,378

Each one of us is different and I believe that fitting in a stereotype would be wrong.
So what if I'm a girl and I prefer to wear shirts than tubes or if I like to play with PSP than to put on make up?
The point is that it's always up to the person on what he/she wants and we can't judge that person because it's his/her decision. So I chose YES.

--------------------

I DON'T own the avatar and the signature. Signature was customized by me. :)

+Quote Post
Miss MP
post May 13 2010, 07:28 PM
Post #144

Citizen

Member No.: 69,722

I have neighbors down the street that forbid the young girls to wear pants - they wear flowing skirts and plenty of pink, which I believe is atrocious, narrow-minded, and detrimental to properly enculturation and socialization. But I'm also a proponent of free speech, so I guess I can't win here. Women have been torn in both directions for a long time, contradictions being imposed - to be assertive, but make sure you're less assertive than the man next to you. Be independent, but not too independent. Indeed, I'll admit I either frightened away prospective dates just by daring to make the first move and wounding pride, or being sort of . . . guy-ish, I guess. Despite my vocabulary, I grew up in a household with fairly colorful language - courtesy of two ex-marines. My mother has never been particularly feminine, and my father was home with me during the day in my childhood. My mother insisted on neutral colors for my brother and I, even for baby-shower gifts. I will do the same with my children.

Unfortunately, there are still stereotypes imposed on both genders . . . men aren't men if they do not provide and coddle the wife, who should be content to clean and cook and not desire a job of her own. This leads to stressed men and less respect for women. It harms both genders. Action - chock-full of guns, sex, punching, blood, and car-crashes - is my favorite genre of film, but I won't balk at a smut novel. Men and women alike should be able to enjoy activities that are actually gender-neutral, and this all starts from BEFORE a child is born. For my Sociology final, I found a study done on girl and boy infants - a parent told others that her child was a girl, and they praised her looks, whereas for a boy they did not, but focused on him engaging in action. Others expressed that the girl would be beautiful and make a good wife, whereas the boy was hoped to be the provider and "change the world"". It was so infuriating. People are individuals and labels are used as an excuse to place people in boxes and make terrible assumptions.

I mean, I've had so many offensive encounters in my adolescent years, it is simply amazing. I mentioned I was taking a class at the YMCA (I also work there) and they immediately asked if it was yoga. Actually, it was a kickboxing class (already taken Ju-jitsu and Women's Self-Defense), it's fun as hell. Then they chuckled despite it being the least amusing thing in the world. Couple that with being petite and bubbly and I get all the hilarious, sarcastic laughs. It gets old after a while.

Parents should make it a point to not let their children be bombarded with the disgusting examples of gender socialization that take place not only in the home, but in schools and other institutions. It is blatant.

--------------------
Fanfiction |FictionPress

+Quote Post
Katya Martin
post May 16 2010, 11:46 AM
Post #145

Alchemists

Member No.: 72,181

I've run into all sorts of things too. I'm a computer science major, and there are a lot more guys in my major than there are girls. I've been told by several people that I got into the school I'm in because I'm a girl, and have to prove them that that isn't the case. Meanwhile, my mom, even though was the first female physics major at her school, has still got some gender-role beliefs that she tries to impose on me: skirts (not pants) for job interviews/other important events, makeup is necessary for success, don't act too nerdy or play video games, and isn't it time that I got a boyfriend?, etc.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure my dad's manner of raising me would not have changed if I'd been a boy. I appreciate that.

Another thing about the pink-girl-blue-boy social construct that bothers me: gender isn't a binary, it's a continuum. But traditional gender roles define what someone should or shouldn't do by which parts they happen to have been born with, rather than what's in their head. That's no way to make progress.

--------------------

awesomeness by Arakawa, Project FMA banner by Aribelle, avatar by me
I draw things.

+Quote Post
xMinty
post Jul 1 2010, 11:28 AM
Post #146

Apprentice

Member No.: 74,457

I said yes.
I also want to say something i found strange...

girls can wear pants boys cant wear skirts without being called gay.
the official boy color is blue and the official girl color is pink yet no one CALLS blue a boy color but pink is always a girl color and if a boy said they're favorite color was pink they would probably be called gay.
girls can like star trek and shooting games and boyish violent animes like fma but boys cant like girl movies or animes like shugo chara..

tomboys REALLY bother me >_<
they make them selves totally look like a boy sometimes.
its annoying.

its like because girls didn't have rights for so long they all of a sudden have wayyy more social rights than boys.
It used to be the other way around!
baby boys used to be dressed as girls.
girls used to only wear dresses.
I liked it better that way ^^
except the no rights thing..

--------------------

xhearter=my sister <3333
shinigami-sama ish my brother @w@

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Jul 1 2010, 11:58 AM
Post #147

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

QUOTE (xMinty @ Jul 1 2010, 07:28 PM) *

tomboys REALLY bother me >_<
they make them selves totally look like a boy sometimes.
its annoying.

I have to ask, why is that annoying? I could say the same for boys who wear make-up and have long hair, except say they look too like girls. That is their personal preference though, it has no effect on my life apart from the odd faux pas by thinking they were male/female and turns out they weren't.

I do agree however that it does seem one sided. If a co-worker were to comment on a woman's outfit she may fly off the handle and claim sexual discrimination. However if I were to tell a male co-worker he looked good, could he make such a complaint?

But that isn't exactly what this topic is about.

If you want a simple example of gender reversal, I asked on Facebook of my friends, should I buy a Powerpuff Girls DVD, or Johnny Bravo. A girl suggested Johnny Bravo, a guy suggested Powerpuff Girls. I must admit, the guy suggesting the Powerpuff girls surprised me, but a girl suggesting Johnny Bravo didn't at all.

--------------------

+Quote Post
manga_rock
post Oct 7 2010, 03:37 PM
Post #148

Citizen

Member No.: 73,110

I

H
A
T
E

P
I
N
K

!
!
!

+Quote Post
Envy's Lady
post Dec 25 2010, 06:21 PM
Post #149

Apprentice

Member No.: 73,733

Yes. If I have kids I don't care if they play with dolls or trucks of whatever no matter what gender they are.

--------------------

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 8 9 10
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2016 - 01:13 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css