HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

22 Pages V  « < 18 19 20 21 22 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Is It True That Ed Falls In Love With Winry? Tell us your opinion! (For series final content discussion, make sure to use "Series Final Spoiler Warning" or go to Spoler Zone threads, please) :)
Cece
post Aug 29 2008, 10:32 PM
Post #286

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 48,077

QUOTE(CodenameElizabeth @ Jun 25 2008, 09:54 AM) *
(Oh my-- another post! And I was going to edit my original one to prevent double-posting...)

Anyway, regarding EdXWin in the anime, I recently noticed something while browsing FMA merchandise on Amazon.com...

There is obviously NOT a lot of pairing evidence in the anime, and I'll admit that Ed and Winry do have an almost 'sibling' type relationship to the casual viewer (of course, I"ve always been an EdWin shipper, so I read into things...) HOWEVER, if you look at a lot of the art that has been produced based on the aniem designs, you ALWAYS seem to see Ed and Winry togther, and often doing cute couple-type things (like in the Matsuri and Valentines day prints that are available.) So, it seem that although the anime really doesn't play into ANY relationships, there are a lot of hints in the promotional art for the anime.

The same can be said in regards to the RoiAi pairing (re: Anime-style promotional artwork) but I'll save that for a different thread. wink.gif

EDIT: Breezed thru Amazon, and yanked some of the posters...

[attachment=9073:edwin_tree_poster.jpg]

[attachment=9072:edwin_ride.jpg] <-- I LOVE this one!! XD

[attachment=9074:fma_matsuri.jpg]

[attachment=9075:fma_spring.jpg]

[attachment=9076:OMG_ITS_FN_CANON.jpg]

There just seems to be a LOT of pairing going on with Ed and Winry in the official artwork (and Roy and Riza to some extent too. I have a ton more 'official' Roiai ones, and I'll go post those over in that thread eventually.)

I'm so glad someone realized that too! For a "sibling relationship" the artwork hints at a relationship between them. Even in the anime OP's and ED's. The Motherland ED screamed EdxWinry. Don't forget the OVA implications. *Cough Chibi Party! Cough*

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
KenRik
post Apr 26 2009, 10:10 PM
Post #287

Citizen

From: Somewhere where the sky is blue and hearts are one.
Member No.: 68,268

QUOTE (Ailuro @ Feb 5 2005, 01:06 AM) *
Ed is just like every other teenage boy. Oblivious to the obvious.

I totally agree. Even after 4 years that statement never changes. it's fact. ^^ But that doesn't mean Ed won't understand that emotion eventually. He just has a lot in his mind... like how he has to bring back he's brothers body. ^^

But moving on to the present... or one of the most latest post...

QUOTE (qaghou @ Jul 16 2008, 01:38 PM) *
Vermillion Alchemist I'm totaly agree with you ! Edwin's fan are right.

In the chapter 84, we can see a other BIG hint ! So, we can pray for a ending where it will have a ''final touch'' who will make us happy. The mangas is more about emotions than the anime.

For the one who look at the spoilers, in the chapter 85, we have something who is related to the 84 chapter, the famous hint that I was talking about. This thing makes me afraid about what it will happen to edwin in the future... But, I believe that it will turn right...

Beside that, we have a great couple right there and the fans will always believe !

I totally agree with her! ^^ Especially with the fans! EdxWinry forever! laugh.gif

--------------------

I'll end this fight with one big blow.

+Quote Post
Zazaza
post Apr 29 2009, 12:25 PM
Post #288

Citizen

Member No.: 67,889

I always get amused when I revive an almost dead thread...

I read the ancient 2005 posts in the beginning of the thread and it seems that there were a lot of conflict between EdxWin fans that 'saw' a potential relationship between them in the anime (I know! They must have had a good eye because Edwin was practically nonexistent in the anime) and the rest of the people who were skeptical about this pairing. Poor Edwin fans... so misunderstood =P

But right now the conlict has dwindled down and I don't think anyone's arguing the canonity of Edwin anymore. Aaah... I'm happy to have entered this fandom late in the game happy.gif; Don't think I wanna be here during 2004-2005.

Anyways on-topic with the first question: Is It True That Ed Falls In Love With Winry? They're Both In Love, Aren't They?

Yes!! Finally we can say so! (canon in manga, and with the new anime practically giving hints about the pairing) Although putting the word 'in love' next to 'Edward' still makes me wanna roll on the floor laughing because I find it utterly hilarious to imagine Ed being in love.

When we compare earlier chapters of the manga, and the more recent ones, we can see how their relationship have slowly developed. For example, the post!baby Rush Valley scene was very sweet and brotherly/sisterly and childish. Of course, both Ed and Winry were still fresh and inexperienced to the world back then.

Now... compare that to the scene in Winry's bedroom in chapter 84... it even started out in a more... risque kind of way. It's like the author's trying to hint to us that Ed and Winry are no longer little kids anymore. During their shouting match, I was thinking it was more like a husband/wife interaction and not brother/sister anymore, what with Ed saying "Quit nagging, woman!" (lol, like a husband XD).

And Ed actually had the decency to end the fight by walking away, so that shows that he had matured a lot. Later when Greedling confronted Ed about Winry ("That's a nice girl you got there"), Ed didn't even deny it like how he always did before. See?? Ed's capable of being in a (soon to be) relationship after all XD

+Quote Post
Kita-Chan
post May 3 2009, 02:10 PM
Post #289

Citizen

Member No.: 68,238

I'll probably be attacked by fans for saying this, but I have to agree with the people here that said that Ed probably had feelings for Rose.

Yes, I do believe that Winry might love Ed more than a brother, but I doubt that Ed feels the same way. I think he cares about Winry, but in a friend/sister way.

And if Ed truly did love Winry, why didn't he stay with her or say a proper goodbye to her at the end of the movie?
But I guess the same thing could be said about Rose. Maybe he just had a crush on Rose when he was younger, because in the movie, he seemed like he had some feelings for Noah, until the end of the movie.

Let's just say, Ed is one confusing guy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zazaza
post May 4 2009, 09:16 AM
Post #290

Citizen

QUOTE (Kita-Chan @ May 4 2009, 05:10 AM) *
I'll probably be attacked by fans for saying this, but I have to agree with the people here that said that Ed probably had feelings for Rose.

Yes, I do believe that Winry might love Ed more than a brother, but I doubt that Ed feels the same way. I think he cares about Winry, but in a friend/sister way.

And if Ed truly did love Winry, why didn't he stay with her or say a proper goodbye to her at the end of the movie?
But I guess the same thing could be said about Rose. Maybe he just had a crush on Rose when he was younger, because in the movie, he seemed like he had some feelings for Noah, until the end of the movie.

Ed/Rose was only in the first anime, and never in the manga. The BONES staff added the whole Ed/Rose thing just to spice up the second half of the series. Noah was added later in the movie as a lame attempt to create some sort of harem for him (c'mon -- Winry, Rose, Noah... who else??). Boo. The whole Noah idea was dumb.

And yes, I agree that in the anime, Ed and Winry's relationship were more sibling-like. Maybe Ed really did have a crush on Rose in the anime. But that's the point. IT'S IN THE ANIME ONLY. The manga on the other hand, is pro-EdWinry.

I guess your points are valid if you are referring to the first anime, but in real canon (manga-wise and definitely FMA:B as well) Ed and Winry have feelings for one another, and not sibling-like. That's just it.

+Quote Post
Kita-Chan
post May 4 2009, 06:02 PM
Post #291

Citizen

Member No.: 68,238

QUOTE (Zazaza @ May 4 2009, 09:16 AM) *
Ed/Rose was only in the first anime, and never in the manga. The BONES staff added the whole Ed/Rose thing just to spice up the second half of the series. Noah was added later in the movie as a lame attempt to create some sort of harem for him (c'mon -- Winry, Rose, Noah... who else??). Boo. The whole Noah idea was dumb.

And yes, I agree that in the anime, Ed and Winry's relationship were more sibling-like. Maybe Ed really did have a crush on Rose in the anime. But that's the point. IT'S IN THE ANIME ONLY. The manga on the other hand, is pro-EdWinry.

I guess your points are valid if you are referring to the first anime, but in real canon (manga-wise and definitely FMA:B as well) Ed and Winry have feelings for one another, and not sibling-like. That's just it.

I was talking about the anime. I only read up to volume 3 of the manga, so how was I suppose to know?
I guess I should have said I was talking about the anime before. Sorry about that.

And I know a lot of people didn't like Noah, but I actually liked the idea of Ed being with Noah. I mean, in the end, she was the only girl that Ed really had left...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zazaza
post May 5 2009, 06:57 AM
Post #292

Citizen

I dunno about Noah.... didn't she betray Ed to the Thule Society or something? And I think she was more interested in his world (Amestris and all) rather than Ed himself. Well that's just my opinion though.

+Quote Post
edo little kid
post May 5 2009, 07:19 AM
Post #293

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 49,158

Ed falls in love with Winry??

may be Winry who falls in love with Ed !

but I think Ed look to Winry As friend or in another word as a sister !! sleep.gif

that what I seen in Anime ! dry.gif

I'm not sure about EdxWinry in manga rolleyes.gif

that's just my opinion though

QUOTE (Kita-Chan @ May 3 2009, 03:10 PM) *

And if Ed truly did love Winry, why didn't he
stay with her or say a proper goodbye to her at the end of the movi?

yeah , I agree with you wink.gif

+Quote Post
Zazaza
post May 5 2009, 07:59 AM
Post #294

Citizen

So sad... no one read my long post about why EdWin in the manga are so canon it's not funny anymore. XD

Anyways, just to add something substantial here, I think Ed was too asexual in the anime. He did blush around Rose and Winry, but I don't see him actively pursuing anyone. Of course, when you're busy going around the country looking for a way to restore your brother's body... a girlfriend is the last thing you'd want to have in your mind.

And btw, even though Ed was stuck in the real world (and left Winry behind), later he did eventually marry the Winry in that world. So you can safely conclude that he technically ended up with 'Winry' after all.

(I can't remember where I got that source from, but it was something about Ed's grandchild...?)

+Quote Post
Tombow
post May 5 2009, 09:49 AM
Post #295

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

QUOTE (Zazaza @ May 5 2009, 10:59 AM) *
And btw, even though Ed was stuck in the real world (and left Winry behind), later he did eventually marry the Winry in that world. So you can safely conclude that he technically ended up with 'Winry' after all. ... (I can't remember where I got that source from, but it was something about Ed's grandchild...?)

@Zazaza - Um.. I'm assuming you got that impression from "Children" OVA (as many other viewers of that OVA seems to have gotten some wrong impression from it. ^^) So...just letting you know that that OVA was made "as if" or "if he were..." kind of story, and it was not meant to be taken as cannon, according to the interview with the director of that OVA (who also directed FMA movie and FMA anime series-1.) I think I posted the translations of that interview somewhere on this board, though I can't remember where. ^^

--------------------

+Quote Post
emethystiris
post May 5 2009, 10:44 AM
Post #296

Citizen

Member No.: 62,581

*newbie* >_>
Um...guess I'll just dive right in?

To the first question - Is Ed in love with Winry?... - I'd say that only NOW, in the manga, is there reason to believe the answer is yes. Ed's side is up for debate I suppose, whereas Winry's pretty much admitted to herself that she's 'in love' with him, but by now we've had so many hints that Ed's feelings too are becoming obvious. So shockingly, Ed is more subtle (to the reader) than Winry here - I think if he does indeed love her, he's still at the steadfast denial/panicking stage, or that, right now, he doesn't even want to get in to those troublesome feelings of his because he knows he's needed elsewhere. Denying himself happiness is something Ed does religiously, after all. I understand that I can't push this too much however, since, well, we don't know for sure of Ed. But I personally pretty much believe Ed and Winry have (urgh, I'm disgusted at how corny this sounds!) been in love for a while now. cool.gif *tries to redeem some coolness after that last statement*

QUOTE (Kita-Chan @ May 3 2009, 10:10 PM) *

Pfft, everyone's allowed their own opinions, and yours is as valid a any other fan's. No need to fear us. biggrin.gif
Anyway, I'll concede that in the anime, yes, it was pretty clear that Ed had feelings for Rose (even if it did seem kind of curious and out-of-nowhere to me.) So yeah, if I'd only seen the first anime, I would be led to beleive that Ed was more into Rose and Winry. However - and I know you've not read much of the manga, so I don't blame you - the Ed/Winry relationship was played down very much in the first season. Where the manga is right now, I think it's difficult to deny that the Ed/Winry relationship is romantic in nature. The Ed/Rose thing wasn't there at all, except maybe for some admiration on Rose's part.

I don't think that's a very fair analysis of Ed's actions in the movie, though. He sacraficed a lot more than Winry at the end of it, after all, in itself suggesting the graveness of the situation. Ed has always been self-sacraficial, so there was no way he was going put so much at risk for his own interest. I mean, come on, he fully intending on leaving Albehind, too. It was the only way things could have turned out. As for a goodbye - there was a lot going on; it wouldn't have been proper or fitting, plot-wise, for Ed to just stop in the middle of it all and say a (possible; it's like he knew what was even gong to happen to him next, much less to say farewell) goodbye to one person. Heck, he didn't even say it to Al, but does that mean he doesn't love his brother? Finally, I don't think there was anything TO say. What can a person say in that situation? Too much, to little, for such a critical situation. The tender looks were there, and I think that was enough. Actually, the ending seemed better to me somehow, because of all the things left unsaid in the face of such a heartbreaking sacrafice.

In reply to Zazaza's post, because I think my own post is long anough without quoting...

I totally agree. Chapter 84 I think was so close to a full-on revelation - though I don't think there'll ever be a formal confession between the two. There was just somehting about the way Ed turns round to her with the 'bake me an apple pie...' line. It was like a private promise of something to come when everything's over, and it kind of cements the whole deal for me. Like there was more to it than meets the eye, is what I think I'm trying to say.
tl;dr - Arakawa has done a fantastic job of making the Ed/Winry relationship dynamic (liek woah, there are so many levels to it) and progressing it naturally. rolleyes.gif

For the one who look at the spoilers, in the chapter 85, we have something who is related to the 84 chapter, the famous hint that I was talking about. This thing makes me afraid about what it will happen to edwin in the future... But, I believe that it will turn right...

Hang on, what was the hint in chapter 85 again? I've not read those chapters in a while, so my memory of them is kinda fuzzy...

And wow. Long post is long. Call it a build up from lurking here too long?

+Quote Post
Zazaza
post May 5 2009, 11:57 AM
Post #297

Citizen

QUOTE (Tombow @ May 6 2009, 12:49 AM) *
@Zazaza - Um.. I'm assuming you got that impression from "Children" OVA (as many other viewers of that OVA seems to have gotten some wrong impression from it. ^^) So...just letting you know that that OVA was made "as if" or "if he were..." kind of story, and it was not meant to be taken as cannon, according to the interview with the director of that OVA (who also directed FMA movie and FMA anime series-1.) I think I posted the translations of that interview somewhere on this board, though I can't remember where. ^^

Haha, thanks a lot Tombow! Guess that's out of the list of proofs, then. I think I know which thread that discussion belonged to -- I'll go check it out.

QUOTE (emethystiris)
*newbie* >_>
Um...guess I'll just dive right in?

So you've been lurking since last year? Wow, you beat me! I lurked here for a looong time and only recently decided to sign up.

I guess I sort of understand people who still don't think that Ed isn't in love with Winry. It's implied, but never acknowledged formally by the guy himself. In the anime, he had "she's not my girlfriend!!!1" denials about it but it's still very vague. Guess the anime team were thinking of expanding Ed's love life a little by adding Rose into the mix -- that's totally understandable since the manga was still in its early chapters during the anime's production, and they couldn't predict whether EdxWin would happen in the manga.

Although, even though Ed being in love with Rose in the anime was *kinda* plausible, how the heck could they make Dante claim that both Ed and Al were in love with her? That made me go "wtf??". It was so sudden and out of nowhere.

I was wondering about that too. *quickly flips chapter 85* I'm guessing it's something to do with Ed saying it'll may be his last battle therefore he needs all the motivation he can get...? happy.gif; Okay, I still don't get it.

+Quote Post
Cece
post May 6 2009, 09:19 AM
Post #298

Apprentice

Member No.: 48,077

Ed falls in love with Winry??

may be Winry who falls in love with Ed !

but I think Ed look to Winry As friend or in another word as a sister !! sleep.gif

that what I seen in Anime ! dry.gif

I'm not sure about EdxWinry in manga rolleyes.gif

that's just my opinion though

QUOTE (Kita-Chan @ May 3 2009, 03:10 PM) *

And if Ed truly did love Winry, why didn't he
stay with her or say a proper goodbye to her at the end of the movi?

yeah , I agree with you wink.gif

Are you not sure about Ed/Winry in the manga because you don't read the manga or because you don't buy a romantic relationship between them?

Ed couldn't have stayed with her. Did you see the movie? Buildings were coming down and people were dying he didn't intend to take Al either Al just showed up he didn't want to be separated from his home but he had to because Ed's a responsible person.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kenni
post May 6 2009, 11:49 AM
Post #299

Citizen

Member No.: 47,244

If one thing is for sure, it's Ed and Winry being in love with eath other in the manga and the manga is the one and only canon stuff. It's true that Eds and Winrys relationship in the first Anime is more sibling-like, but I don't like to rely on the anime, because of it's major changes and filler-ending and all these things.
One of the majos changes was Ed and Winrys relationship and I really hope they will correct it in the new anime (we already had the first hint in episode 2).

The most outstanding thing we've seen until now was chapter 84. It has been mentioned may times before, but it simply was a chapter to show us that the characters have grown: Ed being finally a lot taller than Winry. Winry with a womans body. Ed staring at Winry while she was changing. Ed calling her a "woman" and than the szene with Greed!Ling where Ed did not denyied that Winry is his "girl". He didn't flinched or got into defense-mode, he accepted it calmly. Ed and calm? It's obviously not a common combination. The characters have grown and so have their understanding for their relationship, even on Eds side.

But even before, there were many hints. Smaller ones at the beginning, greater ones in the newer chapter. A few examples (from the point of view of a fan): Chapter 36 Pages 37-40, Chapter 44 Page 19, Chapter 47 Pages 10-19, Chapter 48 Page 29-32, Chapter 70 Page 7-8 (a really obvious one) Page 11 at the top (Eds glare is priceless) Page 13 (again priceless face), Chapter 72 Page 33 (Ed is so worried, it makes me sick) Page 36-37, Chapter 73 Page 17-20 Page 23 Page 25/26/29, Chapter 77 page 02-03 (I love that one), Chapter 80 Page 356 (Al xD)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kirara
post May 7 2009, 11:59 AM
Post #300

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 3,267

I have not posted in here in a long time but all I have to say for those why are denying Ed's feelings for Winry in the manga all I have to say is periodical table.

I mean I could tell Ed had feelings for her well before that but that was like the biggest piece of proof. Sometimes there is proof in denial. And even Riza can see it and she knows all. wink.gif

+Quote Post

22 Pages V  « < 18 19 20 21 22 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th August 2016 - 11:52 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css