Episode 10 - The Phantom Thief, Talkback Discussion
ἀρχή
post Jan 17 2005, 06:36 PM
Post #46

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,228

QUOTE(Ailuro @ Jan 17 2005, 07:27 PM)
Doesn't it just give you a great feeling inside watching everyone guess?  biggrin.gif

Aren't we so sadistic tongue.gif

I don't think the cliff hangers have really even hit yet. There were so many cliff hangers in this series that I would have died if I had to wait once a week for an episode. I had to know what happened next.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ailuro
post Jan 17 2005, 06:39 PM
Post #47

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 665

QUOTE(arche @ Jan 17 2005, 05:36 PM)
Aren't we so sadistic tongue.gif

I don't think the cliff hangers have really even hit yet. There were so many cliff hangers in this series that I would have died if I had to wait once a week for an episode. I had to know what happened next.

Ugh, I hated it when I had to wait. And it was when the cliffhangers were the most fatal. x__X;
*has been a fan since way back*

--------------------
- Ailuro "Deshi" Oz
- Moderator Emeritus -

+Quote Post
ἀρχή
post Jan 17 2005, 06:44 PM
Post #48

Yes, I'm glad I picked up a bit after the need to wait for anything tongue.gif.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post Jan 17 2005, 07:39 PM
Post #49

Guests

QUOTE (Ailuro @ Jan 17 2005, 10:53 AM)
But it does advance the plot. Without Psiren, the Elric Kyoudai would never have gotten the lead on Xenotime. And Xenotime also advances the plot. You get it? I'd say the only true filler is episode 37 and even that had meaning, it was to make the viewers happier during a very dramatic time in the series.

Note: that clue could have been given by just about anybody. Psiren had no special knowledge on Xenotime. She blurted it out like any commoner could on any anime series. In fact that whole line is the only thing that is even related to the next episode or storyline. In fact, if the Xenotime clue was given by a Lior citizen when Ed was leaving the city and this Psiren episode gets chopped, no one would have noticed anything missing. In fact since Xenotime is not even given a location on the FMA map, the fact is the producers could have simply let Ed stop over in Xenotime as a mid-way stop and stumble upon the mystery as well.

Don't read the spoiler if you don't want to know some stuff of the next episodes.
Stop over for one or two hours, wander around town, stumble upon the girl at the mine, rescue her, go in the party and proclaim themselves as the Elrics, get thrown out. Decide to stay the whole day to explore the mystery of the 'Elrics'. Which is what the Xenotime arc is in a way.
That is what classifies this Psiren episode as a filler, simply it contributed nothing significant to the FMA storyline.

+Quote Post
TheVileOne
post Jan 17 2005, 09:59 PM
Post #50

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 250

Kind of like unregistered guests contributing nothing significant as well.

Filler is called filler usually not just because it doesn't contribute or add anything to the story, but its boring, unentertaining, and there's no plot progression. And nothing could be further than that for one episode of Fullmetal Alchemist. Its like calling the Stand Alone episodes of Ghost In The Shell filler, which I assure you they are not.

--------------------
"Struggle is optional. Pain is inevitable."

"This is my life. I have battled and lost, struggled and won.
I have had victory and defeat, and defeat in victory.
I will never be overmatched or unprepared.
This is who I am and who I will always be…I am Chris Benoit!"
- "The Crippler" Chris Benoit

+Quote Post
Kitoky
post Jan 18 2005, 05:05 AM
Post #51

Alchemists

Member No.: 3,476

*chuckles* You go Oh mightly Vile One! smile.gif

--------------------
[center]user posted image[/center]

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post Jan 18 2005, 09:45 AM
Post #52

Guests

I really like the episode, even though I had the volume down. the Psiren's voice was very cool. I dare say better than the original. But the second time around, I saw that some of the things were like other shows. Back in the day, I used to watch DBZ...Goku when he needs to get a shots was a lot like Ed, the detective was like that gut from Lupin and sort of case closed, and so on. happy.gif I really want to see how they edit 13, especially the beginning. XD

<Merged double postings. 05/10/07 ~Tombow>

+Quote Post
Kirara
post Jan 18 2005, 10:50 AM
Post #53

Member No.: 3,267

Technically filler is what ever is in the anime that is not in the manga. But since the FMA anime is almost an alternative version of the manga it isn't fair to say whatever is not in the manga is filler in its case. So another definition of filler is whatever doesn't advance the story. Filler can be very exciting but if it doesn't advance the story it is still filler no matter if it is enjoyable or not.

As for episode 10, my opinion is it is probably somewhat fillerish but not completely fillerish because it did lead Ed and Al to a location of the stone which is obviously pretty important. And I am not sure but the whole idea that you cannot simply label people as good or bad (ala Psiren) seems to be an important theme in the story.

QUOTE (arche @ Jan 17 2005, 09:36 PM) *

Sadly I already have a pretty good idea of how the series ends, thanks to accidently finding spoilers. I am trying to forget what I know but it is very hard sad.gif

+Quote Post
ἀρχή
post Jan 18 2005, 10:58 AM
Post #54

Filler doesn't advance the story or flesh out characters. Anyway, it doesn't really matter whether this episode is filler or not, I think it's still a good episode. Actually I do believe that it does help flesh out Ed and Al a bit but I'm sure that's debateable.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_*
post Jan 18 2005, 08:22 PM
Post #55

Guests

QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Jan 17 2005, 09:59 PM)
Kind of like unregistered guests contributing nothing significant as well.

Filler is called filler usually not just because it doesn't contribute or add anything to the story, but its boring, unentertaining, and there's no plot progression.  And nothing could be further than that for one episode of Fullmetal Alchemist.  Its like calling the Stand Alone episodes of Ghost In The Shell filler, which I assure you they are not.

Fillers must be boring, unentertaining? Gee, when did subjectiveness come into play? Fillers was used to describe the episodes that come in to play when long running seasonal dramas went into hiatus in mid-season because they broadcasted all the available quality-approved episodes and had to finish off some unfinished episodes before they can continue broadcasting. Repeats were used for these purposes or summaries made by cutting older episodes and compiling them.

As these episodes did nothing to help the series progress(except just showing the same stuff over and over again), fillers is used to describe an episode of such nature. This then applies to the gaidens in manga where the content of the gaiden are different from the ongoing story, as well as any chapter where nothing gets done or helps the story.

To simply avoid calling such things fillers just because they can entertain is worming your way out. Just because you aren't able to rebutt with proper facts doesn't mean you can stoop to name-calling. *looks into other threads* "Woopee! The guest agrees with me, I'll praise him. %^&*ing guest disagrees with me, he's a %^&*er." dry.gif

+Quote Post
Jacen
post Jan 18 2005, 08:52 PM
Post #56

Citizen

Member No.: 5,527

I liked this ep... sure it was a filler and not much happened but it was cool. Ed discovered how boobs feel. He also discovered that eating a lot gave him food poisoning. The episode brought out more of Ed ad Al's character as well. Every anime has episodes like this added into it, and considering it was a filler, it was good.

+Quote Post
ἀρχή
post Jan 18 2005, 09:33 PM
Post #57

Meh, this whole discussion's a bit annoying. But anyway. Yes, it's a good episode for the simple fact that it makes you laugh and feel entertained. Without filler where would we be? It's the filling in the twinkie that makes it so good tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ailuro
post Jan 18 2005, 11:35 PM
Post #58

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 665

Thank you, Arche! You are the one that helps everyone realize that it doesn't matter and just enjoy it! happy.gif

--------------------
- Ailuro "Deshi" Oz
- Moderator Emeritus -

+Quote Post
ἀρχή
post Jan 19 2005, 04:50 AM
Post #59

QUOTE(Ailuro @ Jan 19 2005, 01:35 AM)
Thank you, Arche! You are the one that helps everyone realize that it doesn't matter and just enjoy it! happy.gif

I should start charging people for all of these reality checks wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kirara
post Jan 19 2005, 08:23 PM
Post #60

Member No.: 3,267

LOL yeah I guess you are right. Though even though I know the end, the "journey" is what is really important so I still plan to enjoy the show.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2016 - 08:53 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css