Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 9 - Be Thou For The People, Talkback Discussions
Final_Fantasy898...
post Jan 8 2005, 08:56 PM
Post #1

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,060

FMA Espisode 9 airs in 1 hour (where i live)!! I cant wait! So when you see it post your comments/thoughts here.

--------------------
user posted image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Full Plastic Alc...
post Jan 8 2005, 10:31 PM
Post #2

Citizen

Member No.: 5,303

Rofl, I liked the part where he's talking with the guy in the taxi... Also, what's up with the preview for episode 10? That woman was unzipping her shirt...
That girl with the necklace was cheap..... I hate people who have items and can do alchemy without circles..... Stupid things like Majahal's bracelet, and that girls necklace, and Mustangs Gloves. I MEAN REALLY!!!!!!

--------------------
user posted image

I lost an arm and a leg.... Winry gave me Plastic Mail.... (Plastic Mail lol :p)

+Quote Post
Shiroi
post Jan 8 2005, 11:05 PM
Post #3

Citizen

Member No.: 691

~_~ That was dubbed... worse than usual. Maybe it's just me, but even Ed sounded really unnatural. And poor Riza was so out of character. And "be thou for the people"??? Uh... Who thought that line up?? It sounds like a bad take on Sheakspeare or something. As for Yoki, I think the bad voice acting fit his character.

I almost bed they'd change Lyra to "Laila," but I was totally wrong there. They kept it as "Lyra" with a different pronounciation. *shrugs* Her voice was okay I guess.

Anyway, the actual episode was really good. The dub just disappointed me. I hope they did a better job with the others.

That girl with the necklace was cheap..... I hate people who have items and can do alchemy without circles..... Stupid things like Majahal's bracelet, and that girls necklace, and Mustangs Gloves. I MEAN REALLY!!!!!!

Why? It's not really "cheap" if that's the way alchemists do things. It would be impractical to keep drawing the same circle over and over again. Ed's one of the few people who doesn't have to worry about that.

+Quote Post
Full Plastic Alc...
post Jan 8 2005, 11:09 PM
Post #4

Citizen

Member No.: 5,303

Why? It's not really "cheap" if that's the way alchemists do things. It would be impractical to keep drawing the same circle over and over again. Ed's one of the few people who doesn't have to worry about that.

Well..... they should do human alchemy then..... they will be able to do what Ed does happy.gif. Also, how in the world are the items created? I mean how come Roy can use the circles on his gloves over and over again?

--------------------
user posted image

I lost an arm and a leg.... Winry gave me Plastic Mail.... (Plastic Mail lol :p)

+Quote Post
TheVileOne
post Jan 8 2005, 11:11 PM
Post #5

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 250

I actually thought the voice acting was totally on tonight. Especially Vic Mignogna's Ed and Barry Yandell's Yoki. Everything just clicked.

--------------------
"Struggle is optional. Pain is inevitable."

"This is my life. I have battled and lost, struggled and won.
I have had victory and defeat, and defeat in victory.
I will never be overmatched or unprepared.
This is who I am and who I will always be…I am Chris Benoit!"
- "The Crippler" Chris Benoit

+Quote Post
Kirara
post Jan 8 2005, 11:15 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 3,267

I personally liked the dub today. I guess the Be Thou for the people line was sort of cheesy, but I have heard much cheesier lines from dubs. Overall I enjoyed it and I actually think Vic excels at the comedy moments.

My only question is why do people so readily accept that a young boy is in a suit of armor. I mean don't you think it would strike people as odd?, but it never seems to phase anyone. I guess maybe they are used to oddities like Al?

But I did miss the part in the manga when:
[spoiler]Ed and Yoki were comparing their evilness to each other[/spoiler] too bad that scene didn't make it to the anime.

<Edited old codes for Spoiler tags. 05/10/07 ~Tombow>

+Quote Post
Shiroi
post Jan 8 2005, 11:27 PM
Post #7

Citizen

My only question is why do people so readily accept that a young boy is in a suit of armor. I mean don't you think it would strike people as odd?, but it never seems to phase anyone. I guess maybe they are used to oddities like Al?

I think this carried on from the manga because in the manga Al didn't have a voice. So since it was a fill-in-the-blank type of thing, Arakawa-sensei could get away with having everyone assume Al is some man who likes to wear armor.

Spoiler: (Click here to Display)

In any case, I still think Riza's va made her seem to mean. She had the same lines, but her "don't you?" was unnecessarily dragged out. (Sorry for splitting hairs.)

EDIT: Oh yeah, the original episode title was "Silver Watch of the Dog of the Military." Just a random note to anyone who cares.

+Quote Post
Zio
post Jan 8 2005, 11:28 PM
Post #8

Apprentice

Member No.: 1,934

I liked the episode. I thought that Yoki was given a decnt voice actor for a greedy, fancy, snobby, big nosed, weak, State Bribing, suckup. I do wish that they put in the part where Ed and Yoki compared their evilness and the Be Thou for the People line was cheesy.

And I can't wait for Episode 10, if you know what I mean. (Snap, Spap. Grin, Grin. Wink, Wink. Say no more.)

--------------------
The Father of the Fourm Family.
user posted image
user posted image

+Quote Post
Kirara
post Jan 8 2005, 11:32 PM
Post #9

I think this carried on from the manga because in the manga Al didn't have a voice. So since it was a fill-in-the-blank type of thing, Arakawa-sensei could get away with having everyone assume Al is some man who likes to wear armor.

Maybe I am misunderstanding you but what do you mean by Al not having a voice? I have read all the manga and I have seen nothing to indicate that he doesn't have a voice.

+Quote Post
Shiroi
post Jan 8 2005, 11:33 PM
Post #10

Citizen

Doh. Sorry, I mean you don't hear his voice, so you can't judge his age by it. Yeah, I phrased that stupidly.

+Quote Post
Kirara
post Jan 8 2005, 11:39 PM
Post #11

Ah okay I think I understand what you mean. But I would assume that the anime had some input from Arakawa-sensei and they knew to make Al sound like a child.

But even so Roy is always telling Ed to be careful about exposing Al, but wouldn't people question what Al is just by looking at him.

+Quote Post
TheVileOne
post Jan 8 2005, 11:42 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 250

People do question Al or give him weird looks from time to time over the course of the series. The episode on the train is one example when they make friends with the little girl.

--------------------
"Struggle is optional. Pain is inevitable."

"This is my life. I have battled and lost, struggled and won.
I have had victory and defeat, and defeat in victory.
I will never be overmatched or unprepared.
This is who I am and who I will always be…I am Chris Benoit!"
- "The Crippler" Chris Benoit

+Quote Post
Guest_Hello Kerry_*
post Jan 9 2005, 07:19 AM
Post #13

Guests

Gah, I totally fell asleep before it came on...can anyone give me a quick summary? I'd appreciate it a lot.

+Quote Post
Zio
post Jan 9 2005, 07:25 AM
Post #14

Apprentice

Member No.: 1,934

QUOTE(Hello Kerry @ Jan 9 2005, 07:19 AM)
Gah, I totally fell asleep before it came on...can anyone give me a quick summary? I'd appreciate it a lot.

Yeah, you go to the site navigation part at the site of this page, click on Anime, click on Episode 9 and click the word "click" in "Click to reveal spoilers".

OR

You can wait until Thursday when they show it again.

--------------------
The Father of the Fourm Family.
user posted image
user posted image

+Quote Post
fireblast99
post Jan 9 2005, 01:48 PM
Post #15

Citizen

Member No.: 3,346

So how was it that Ryla did that thing with the wind again? I missed the part of the epp where they explained it. Could someone clarify?

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2016 - 03:30 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css