Reply to this topicStart new topic
Hughes (spoilers) In Episode 25, About Hughes' Character
ἀρχή
post Dec 6 2004, 06:56 AM
Post #1

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,228

<Editing the thread title to add "in Episode 25" to the thread title, then moving the thread from FMA Character discussion forum to FMA Anime American Audience sub-forum where all "Houghes in episode 25" threads are being collected currently. 02/23/07 ~Tombow>

FYI: This topic is all about spoilers & from the Fansub version, so I'm not going to spoiler tag any of it - you've been warned!

I just wanted to post about Hughes. He really was one of my top 3 favorite characters from the series. I especially loved how he would talk about his daughter all the time. I am a father and have a daughter, so I could relate very well. I always show my pictures to people and talk about her all the time.

When I saw episode 25, I was shocked. I could barely take it. My daughter is 4 just like Hughes daghter and when Hughes daughter asked "why are they burying daddy," my heart broke sad.gif .

What a great character. Not only for the time he was around, but afterwards, you can see how other characters were affected by him. And then obviously the frustration with the cover-up of his death, etc...

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Major Armstrong
post Dec 6 2004, 08:35 AM
Post #2

Citizen

Member No.: 1,269

Hughes is one of my favorite characters. He's very funny and they built him up very well in the story line. It's a shame that they killed him half way through the series.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
DarkWater Alchem...
post Dec 6 2004, 11:16 AM
Post #3

Alchemists

Member No.: 1,273

Hughes is the greates dad you can imagine, and such a good person. I loved him, I think that I'll cry the next time I watch ep 25 again. It's also wonderful that as a father you can identify with him, and that you don't think he's an idiot or something (I can't really imagine anyone does).

Hughes was also a very important supporter for Roy of course, and it's a shame het had to take all he discovered into his grave.

All tribute to Hughes-sama!

--------------------
~Guardian Angel of the Shonen-ai Royal Family~
Blessed with Sin: member of G.O.O.P. *hyper about bishies*
deviantart gallery - Divine Crisis

+Quote Post
ἀρχή
post Dec 6 2004, 11:38 AM
Post #4

I'm now going through the series again with my wife. She's not into anime much, but has gotten into this one. I think I'll have the same reaction when I watch 25 again.

I loved the introduction Hughes did to the dual between Roy and Ed. That huge picture was awesome! Typical Hughes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kihaku
post Dec 6 2004, 12:00 PM
Post #5

Brigadier General

Member No.: 1,360

Hughes is one of my favourite characters too! (only Roy and Riza come first tongue.gif )
I liked his relaxed attitude, the hilarious part of him and especially his caring attitude and obsessiveness to his family and friends. He was just so great!
I couldn't actually even believe that he died. I was sure he would survive. A charácter like that couldn't just die! The funeral was devastating. Elysia's questions were very tragic and heart wrenching to me too...A guy like that...and he just... *sniff* I still can't get over the fact that the last thing he saw was the image of his wife shooting him! That's a reason why I voted Envy in the "most hated character poll". It was just horrible. But ep 25 was one of the turning points for me. After that I started getting more addicted to the series...

Wow arche! It must have been pretty affecting on you, when you can relate to him so well! I'm imagining you like Hughes already tongue.gif And I hope your wife realises too what a great series FMA is! biggrin.gif

--------------------
The Delirious Dreamy Airhead
~Queen of Shounen-ai~
An Open-Minded Perv & Member of G.O.O.P
user posted image
Here's the thread for you s-ai/yaoi fans:Shounen-ai Fans Unite!

+Quote Post
hagane_no_tokage
post Dec 6 2004, 12:25 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,565

i knowww! i was so sure he was gonna come back at some point, and be all like, "psyche!!" and then have this big exciting explanation of how he really survived but it was for everyone's protection that he remain 'dead'... T_T just seemed like something he would manage to pull off...

i nearly lost it with elysia and the, "mama, make them stop burying daddy!" scene...but i totally couldn't handle it when roy cried. just that single tear and the "oh, it's starting to rain..." lost it. totally lost it.

aaah! hughes!!! you will be missed forever! forget not the legacy you leave behind!! T_T

--------------------
IPB Image

I am the Cold Blooded Alchemist. Ph34r Me.
Read My Fics! :D

Auld Lang Syne...Shinkume...Tsuzureori...Tin Soldiers...Pegasus...The Space Between

+Quote Post
Udon
post Dec 6 2004, 02:00 PM
Post #7

Citizen

Member No.: 3,237

Ah, yes, the lovable huggable Hughes. For CLAMP fans out there, he was the Ichan of FMA, was a pretty durable alchemist and fighter, and took great pride in his family, particularly his newborn daughter. I was so sad when he died.

@Tokage: Indeed, that scene was most saddening. The most frustrating thing was that they never figured out why Hughes dies till the last ten episodes or so. sad.gif

--------------------
My Karma ran over your Dogma.

+Quote Post
DarkWater Alchem...
post Dec 6 2004, 03:32 PM
Post #8

Alchemists

Member No.: 1,273

Even worse, you as the public DO know why he died, while the military don't, so you're really worried about what he had found out that made it necessary to be murdered. He was way too smart for his own good sad.gif

--------------------
~Guardian Angel of the Shonen-ai Royal Family~
Blessed with Sin: member of G.O.O.P. *hyper about bishies*
deviantart gallery - Divine Crisis

+Quote Post
ἀρχή
post Dec 6 2004, 04:35 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(DarkWater Alchemist @ Dec 6 2004, 05:32 PM)
Even worse, you as the public DO know why he died, while the military don't, so you're really worried about what he had found out that made it necessary to be murdered. He was way too smart for his own good sad.gif

Yeah, that's why I got so angry at times with the people in the show mad.gif. My wife couldn't believe how emotional I got at this series and I'm not an emotional person. It was like a soap opera that I just had to watch!

--------------------

+Quote Post
dragonflame327
post Dec 6 2004, 05:12 PM
Post #10

Apprentice

Member No.: 1,746

I was so shocked when Hughes died. I didn't really expect it at all, I didn't think they could kill off...him. Not him. I seriously expected someone to show up and kill Envy, or at least buy Hughes time to get away. The scene with Roy really was touching. If it wasn't obvious enough just by the way they talked and the flashbacks and pictures, they were really close, despite Hughes annoying him and you can really see it when he cries, that this would have that much of an effect on him. Personally, I'd find it really great if Hughes shows up later in a Ross-esque death thing, though I doubt it since that's been done once already.

Yes, the giant billboard of Elysia was hilarious!!

"But first...*unviels* My daughter Elysia turns 3 this month! Isn't she cute?!"

LMAO at that one. Or...

"*runs out the door* Oh, and Shezka, you're fired!!"

+Quote Post
Toby-Chan
post Dec 6 2004, 07:00 PM
Post #11

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Member No.: 3,284

I love everything about Hughes. I mean, who couldn't love him?

I'm an enthusiastic Hughes fangirl, and I don't just mean Maes. It's The whole family package that makes the awesomeness. (Heart!)

I really still wonder myself why I don't hate Envy. By all rights I should. Maybe' I've been seduced. (&^%*ing sexy miniskirt mad.gif )

--------------------

+Quote Post
ἀρχή
post Dec 6 2004, 08:25 PM
Post #12

I always loved how Hughes pesters Roy to get a wife laugh.gif

How many times has he been threatened by Roy with that fire through the phone lines? blink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Queen of the dam...
post Dec 7 2004, 05:21 AM
Post #13

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 511

WAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! TTTTTTTTTOTTTTTTTTTT Reading this thread makes me wanna cry!!!!!! Hughes!!!!!! WAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! TTTTTTTTTTTTTTOTTTTTTTTTTTT
Makes me feel even sadder when he really resembles my dad personality-wise and appearance wise....(Except for the stubble...)

--------------------
We live and then we die. This in inevitable. What you do when you live is up to you.

+Quote Post
**HagaNe**
post Dec 7 2004, 07:12 AM
Post #14

Citizen

Member No.: 3,113

Hughes IS one of my favourites!... He was so funny when he talked about his daughter and he was so cool at his own way rolleyes.gif BUT I haven't seen episodes 24 and 25 cause these don't work with me!!!! sad.gif so I saw episode 26 and I was terrifyed when they said that hughes was dead! WHY?? I can't figure it out why the makers did Hughes,one of the loving characters,DIE??? I'm mad cause he was so unic!

--------------------
Jesus Christ is in heaven now

+Quote Post
Queen of the dam...
post Dec 7 2004, 07:19 AM
Post #15

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 511

Because Arakawa Killed him off, that's why..... I suppose this event makes Mustang strive for the position of Fuher even more....

--------------------
We live and then we die. This in inevitable. What you do when you live is up to you.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2016 - 08:40 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css