Reply to this topicStart new topic
About Mustang And Tonights Ep, Surpirsed at the character
damanimelover
post Dec 5 2004, 12:43 AM
Post #1

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,612

ohmy.gif Wow I am shocked at this character. I didnt know he was evil! What a devious character. I cant believe he lied and used the boys. Here I thought the ones from the other ep were the bad guys..the girl and the guy who did what ever he did to the faith guy back in ep 1 and 2. I dont think I am going to like this mustang guy at all! mad.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
xrninja
post Dec 5 2004, 12:49 AM
Post #2

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 501

exactly how carefully were you watching and listening? roy did what he did for ed's own sake; without a recommendation from a highly-ranked officer, ed wouldn't be able to take the national alchemist test. then the series would be crap...roy mustang and his gang are the good guys.

--------------------
- ON HIATUS UNTIL COLLEGE STOPS KICKING MY ASS -
ninja + quis = <3

+Quote Post
hagane_no_tokage
post Dec 5 2004, 12:51 AM
Post #3

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 2,565

watch and learn, my little friend... roy has his own agendas sometimes, it's true, but he's really not a bad guy at heart. i didn't like him much at first, either (except for the fact that he was...extremely attractive... wub.gif ), but once you get to know him better, you will want to squeeze him just like the rest of his fans.

plus the dub didn't do his character justice at all... watch the fansubs, he comes across quite different in the original version. the dub makes him sound like a pedophile and a psychopath. yes, he's a tad twisted and a bit of a delinquent...and he does love a good joke at a friend's expense, but he's not a bad guy once you learn a little more about him... you'll see he does what he does for the good of the people important to him.

--------------------
IPB Image

I am the Cold Blooded Alchemist. Ph34r Me.
Read My Fics! :D

Auld Lang Syne...Shinkume...Tsuzureori...Tin Soldiers...Pegasus...The Space Between

+Quote Post
xrninja
post Dec 5 2004, 12:55 AM
Post #4

Moderator Emeritus

QUOTE(hagane_no_tokage @ Dec 5 2004, 12:51 AM)
plus the dub didn't do his character justice at all...  watch the fansubs, he comes across quite different in the original version.  the dub makes him sound like a pedophile and a psychopath.

are you serious? blink.gif (grrrrAAAHH inner xrninja just exploded) but the dub here doesn't air for another 7 minutes, so i guess i'll see for myself.....and if they screw up riza, i swear, all hell is gonna fricking break loose.

--------------------
ninja + quis = <3

+Quote Post
hagane_no_tokage
post Dec 5 2004, 12:57 AM
Post #5

yah, i couldn't even continue listening... ~_~ i had thought that the dub for hagaren was decent...until i heard roy. now i'm boycotting. *gets picket sign* hell no, roy would never sound the way you made him! hell no, roy would-- dry.gif i need a different catchphrase...

whadda we want?
GOOD DUBS!
when do we want 'em?
YESTERDAY!

--------------------
IPB Image

Auld Lang Syne...Shinkume...Tsuzureori...Tin Soldiers...Pegasus...The Space Between

+Quote Post
Zio
post Dec 5 2004, 01:06 AM
Post #6

Apprentice

Member No.: 1,934

So you hate the dub just because of Mustang's voice? That's sad. It's tolerable for me. And Hughes's voice and Hawkeye's voice is better than I expected.

(Wait, I got hooked on FMA because of the dubbed version, so I guess I don't know much, huh?)

--------------------
The Father of the Fourm Family.
user posted image
user posted image

+Quote Post
damanimelover
post Dec 5 2004, 01:11 AM
Post #7

Citizen

Member No.: 2,612

I went back and watched it a 2nd time and he still used them. Sure if it want for him they most likely wouldnt of been able to take the test but he did tell them before that they could take the test so right there was a lie. Also as he told his people he had a backup plan on the train and that was the boys. Also you forget to mention how the one eye guy was set to do this by mustang so hence my feelings he is evil!

+Quote Post
hagane_no_tokage
post Dec 5 2004, 01:12 AM
Post #8

@Zio: hey, i gave it a chance... but i just can't sit through something that does no justice to one of the best characters... i hadn't watched hagaren (even tho i had it downloaded), and i saw the first ep by chance one night on adult swim, and i was like, "hey, this is pretty cool!" so i decided to go watch it... but even tho the dub was what prompted me to actually sit down and watch the subbed version i had dl'd, and even tho i thought it was pretty okay initailly, once i learned how poorly mustang's voice had been done, i just couldn't respect it anymore.

i'm sort of one of those hated sub-purists, you could say... i'm super-critical of dubed anime, because i really don't think a lot of effort goes in to keeping the character voices and motivations at the same caliber as the originals... half the time, it's as if the actors have NO IDEA the motivation and BG of the character they are playing, and to me, that is what is sad...

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Queen of the dam...
post Dec 5 2004, 01:23 AM
Post #9

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 511

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! MUSTANG-SAMA: A PEDO AND PSYCO!!!!!! NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! STUPID FUNI!!!!!! YOU SCREW UP MY ROY!!!!!!!! MY ROY!!!!!! MY TAISA!!!!!!!!!! ROY IS A GOOD GUY YOU HEAR ME!!!!! A GOOD GUY!!!!!

--------------------
We live and then we die. This in inevitable. What you do when you live is up to you.

+Quote Post
xrninja
post Dec 5 2004, 01:37 AM
Post #10

Moderator Emeritus

QUOTE(damanimelover @ Dec 5 2004, 01:11 AM)
I went back and watched it a 2nd time and he still used them. Sure if it want for him they most likely wouldnt of been able to take the test but he did tell them before that they could take the test so right there was a lie. Also as he told his people he had a backup plan on the train and that was the boys. Also you forget to mention how the one eye guy was set to do this by mustang so hence my feelings he is evil!

bald (bard would have sounded cooler. did anyone else expect him to have a lower voice, like the original?) wasn't set up to attack general hakuro (i can't believe they're calling him haRUko, why change it?); he was attacking him regardless, for his own reasons. and if ed didn't have a recommendation, it's not that they "most likely wouldnt of been able to take the test," they WOULDN'T have been able to. the military's not going to arbitrarily make exceptions for a cute short kid and a suspicious-looking suit of armor. roy didn't trick them out of malice -- roy is the reason ed will be able to take the test and gain power he desired. or else he would have been sent back to rizenbool and the series wouldn't be worth watching.

and i'm still a die-hard sub fan, but this dub episode was okay. the only voice that really sounded like the original's was marin-chan's, though mellow.gif ed's voice is growing on me, riza's was passable (my dad was hogging the tv so i didn't hear her "wari komi shitsureishimasu. go kagetsu de wa mada umaremasen kara!!" or hughes gushing over gracia and fetus elysia), and roy's would be better if he'd change the inflection in his voice more often, he's way too monotone and emotionless. hughes, though -- oh hughes, what have they done to you. i'm so sorry, hughes!!

--------------------
ninja + quis = <3

+Quote Post
hitokiri
post Dec 5 2004, 01:38 AM
Post #11

Brigadier General

Member No.: 650

yeah its honestly cause of the voice that roy comes off that way. get your hands on a subbed copy of ep 5 and then make the judgement. and even if you still feel that way wait till 37.

riza was ok, but i felt that hughes was to clownish.

i'm with hagane, i really hate funimation but i honestly tried my hardest enjoy the dub but naw....no thanks sub and raws will do for this guy

but i am glad those of you who havent seen FMA before the dub to be able see it now, though i do suggest obtaining subbed copies and checking them out. listen to emotions that are conveyed, much different that the us dub interpretation. honestly its like some of the people who do the voices (i called them this cause i really don't consider them actors in any capacity) had never seen nor heard of FMA until the morning that they showed up to record the lines.

--------------------
peace,

hitokiri

------------------------------------------------------------
"argh...my neck is one gargantuan monkey fist..."
- J. Peterman -

+Quote Post
Evil_Alice
post Dec 5 2004, 02:04 AM
Post #12

Citizen

Member No.: 3,249

I thought it WAS pretty mean
But it meant that Ed could take the test
I thought that in general, it was a interesting episode.
But when Ed went on the top of the train, I thought he was gonna fall off and land in the ocean. I thought the part with the terrorists shoting at Alphonse and getting hit by ricocheting bullets was funny also.

+Quote Post
Zio
post Dec 5 2004, 02:07 AM
Post #13

Apprentice

Member No.: 1,934

QUOTE(hitokiri @ Dec 5 2004, 01:38 AM)
but i am glad those of you who havent seen FMA before the dub to be able see it now, though i do suggest obtaining subbed copies and checking them out. listen to emotions that are conveyed, much different that the us dub interpretation. honestly its like some of the people who do the voices (i called them this cause i really don't consider them actors in any capacity) had never seen nor heard of FMA until the morning that they showed up to record the lines.

And you know the deatiled workings of how the voice actors got the job? No, you do not.

And I will not get the subbed copies because of several reasons:
1. My laptop is very old and can't handle anime episodes.
2. Downloading stuff is grounds for immediate termination of my internet acess.
3. Last time I checked, downloading fansubs of licensed animes is illegal.
4. Why should I buy a bunch of Hong Kong subtitled crap where the dubbed version makes less mistakes.
5. I just don't want to, because the important thing to realize is: The manga is 100 times better than any form of the anime could ever be. In fact, it's like that with 99.7% of the anime/manga series. (The only exceptions I have seen are Excel Saga and FLCL)

--------------------
The Father of the Fourm Family.
user posted image
user posted image

+Quote Post
Evil_Alice
post Dec 5 2004, 02:15 AM
Post #14

Citizen

Member No.: 3,249

You shouldn't download the subs if it's illleagal, ya know
It might be better, but it's illeagal
[/public service announcement]
I could just get em from Japan leagally
^__^

+Quote Post
hagane_no_tokage
post Dec 5 2004, 02:17 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(Zio @ Dec 5 2004, 02:07 AM)
And you know the deatiled workings of how the voice actors got the job? No, you do not.

And I will not get the subbed copies because of several reasons:
1. My laptop is very old and can't handle anime episodes.
2. Downloading stuff is grounds for immediate termination of my internet acess.
3. Last time I checked, downloading fansubs of licensed animes is illegal.
4. Why should I buy a bunch of Hong Kong subtitled crap where the dubbed version makes less mistakes.
5. I just don't want to, because the important thing to realize is: The manga is 100 times better than any form of the anime could ever be. In fact, it's like that with 99.7% of the anime/manga series. (The only exceptions I have seen are Excel Saga and FLCL)

maybe we don't know the detailed workings of the profession...but from a fan's point of view, it's extremely disappointing to see such shabby workmanship on the behalf of the characters we love. it seems that, while animation that is in english to begin with [disney, pixar, don bluth, etc], voicework is very professionally done... the emotions in the voices fit the mood of the scenes, and the characters are all protrayed the way it seems they were meant to be protrayed. now, i know that re-dubbing things is not easy, i've done it a few times, it's tough to make sound match lips that are already moving...but that's no excuse for poor execution of emotion. maybe we're wrong when we say that the voice actors for anime dubs have not seen the anime they are dubbing in it's original form...but it just seems to serve to reason, when placed in comparison to other animation with english voicework, that the caliber of anime dubbing is sub-par, and we look for a reason to explain why that might happen.

and yes, downloading fansubs of liscenced anime IS illegal... but i think it would be safe to say that most of us got most of the anime before it was liscenced...therefore making it no less legal than taping cartoons off TV. and just because the dubbed version doesn't have mistakes in the subtitling, it DOES have a lot of things that were lost in translation. so is that really any better than a hongkong sub with choppy words? and yes, i will admit that most manga is better... i do look forward to reading the rest of the manga as if continues. but if the subject is over the anime, i think i speak for most of the audience when i say that the dubbed version of hagaren just can't hold a candle.

nobody was looking to start a fight...the argument over sub vs. dub will never end, because there will never be a winner on a subject of opinion...

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th June 2016 - 01:42 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css