Reply to this topicStart new topic
Anime Should Be Exactly Like Manga, Write your thoughts
BellatrixAngelof...
post May 12 2005, 08:47 PM
Post #31

State Alchemist (Major)

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,213

I agree with Electrastar. Almost 99.9% of the time I prefer Anime that actually sticks to the manga, with added bonuses here and there. If they decide to make them different, then you would think they would at least make the changes improve the story and not nearly destroy it ( I've seen that happen in many cases, one of the worst being the Record of the Lodoss Wars). But unfortunitly, they don't always bother to improve the story, and instead try to make it is far from the manga as possible ( which is rarely a good thing), mean while creating some god-awful Anime. Fullmetal Alchemist Anime, though not at all bad, could have had a much better story line if it had stuck more with the Manga, which posseses one of the best stories I've yet to lay eyes on. Though the Anime had a few good episodes that where not in the manga ( as of yet, anyway), most of the better episodes stuck more closely to the original manga. happy.gif

--------------------

Thank You to Riza Babe & Celestial Fangirl for the siggie! ^_^ ~My Forum Family~
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kirara
post May 14 2005, 05:53 PM
Post #32

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 3,267

Generally I like when an anime sticks to the manga. True it is just seeing the same story twice but I mainly enjoy an anime for its music and voice acting. Also many times I will end up seeing the anime first since that seems to be what is released in the US first, so if it follows the manga exactly from start to finish I usually don't bother to read the manga. It is the stories that end abruptly in the anime but continue in the manga that I usually read the manga for (Inuyasha, Fruits Baskets, Kenshin and Kare Kano are all perfect examples). If you want to see the real story not some filler or abrupt ending then you have to read the manga.

FMA is a special case because really the anime is just an alternative version of the manga. I knew this before watching and wasn't sure if I would like it since I did really like the manga but the anime still turned out well. So now I love both the FMA manga and anime. And as others have said it is nice to get too enjoyable stories. If other anime series can make an alternative story as good as Fullmetal Alchemist than this would certainly solve the problem of all these abrupt endings that we often get in anime.

+Quote Post
Karo
post May 18 2005, 10:52 AM
Post #33

Apprentice

Member No.: 10,905

I agree. The anime should be different than the manga.
But they least they could do was not dub the anime's

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
DameGreyWulf
post Jul 29 2005, 07:22 PM
Post #34

Alchemists

Member No.: 18,345

I wish anime was just like manga. But sadly, it'll never be so.
Just like with Jurassic Park, it'll always be changed in some way

--------------------
~Right From The Sky, We Are Born Crazy; Right From The Sky We Are Born To Be Wild~

user posted image
-----------------------------------------------------
.::Forum Family::.
Sisters: Chibi Reina, darkangelslayer, StrawberryShampoo
----------------------------------------------
.::CREDITS::.
Signature made by Dark Andy @ Duelist-Underground

+Quote Post
mongooseboi
post Jul 29 2005, 10:59 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 10,556

of course 99% of the time the manga is better than the anime (that 1% is mai-hime biggrin.gif ), but tv companies have schedules and seasons that anime series have to abide, so unless its a series like PoT, Naruto, or Bleach, most of them have a defined number of episodes, and the animators have to somehow work with the storyline and create something that works in the given episode count. manga artists are given much more freedom, because they can continue writing till they get bored.

--------------------

my onee-chan: xrninja :]

+Quote Post
BetrayalOfYume
post Jul 31 2005, 08:19 PM
Post #36

Citizen

Member No.: 14,444

Most anime are based upon a manga. However they are exceptions such as Wolf's Rain and Escaflowne. The only thing that bugs me about anime is how some characters are protrayed. For example, take Fruits Basket. One problem with this anime is the the fact that the manga is still printing. Up the chapter 113 now.

Spoilers ahead.

Shigure is protrayed as the ever so sing-song guy in the anime. In the manga, he is protrayed as the man with a hidden agenda. His relationship within Akito is misunderstood. Akito is a man in the anime, but in the manga Akito is a girl. Of course the actual proof known as "breasts" does not appear in chapter 97.

God help the poor soul who will have the duty of directing the second season.

+Quote Post
The RZA
post Aug 1 2005, 12:18 AM
Post #37

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 10,913

i don't really like anime that sticks exactly to the manga, i prefer the storyline to be different kinda like Fma did

--------------------

+Quote Post
MiyokoChan
post Aug 4 2005, 05:37 PM
Post #38

Citizen

Member No.: 18,931

Hard topic, really.

To me it's okay if the anime differs from the manga, just as long as the spirit is the same. However, then the subject of "artistic liscense" comes in, and how far studios can go, etc. Like, with Ranma 1/2 after a certain point Rumiko Takahashi wouldn't give the studio the rights anymore because she was unhappy with the way the animated series was going. And that's no good.

Usually I prefer to just read the manga (as long as that was the thing that came first) because it's the author/illustrator's original. Generally I find more important detail and less fluff in mangas. If a series deviates too much you lose things like character development, or someone changes into a completely different character. But if the anime & manga are completely the same, like InuYasha, I do get a tad bored, although I like hearing the voices. biggrin.gif

As for FMA...the anime is what got me started on it, but I like the manga way better. I think the anime is really good, but after reading the manga I found episodes in the anime to be extraneous. Plus, some really great scenes were cut from the anime.

There is something to be said for the art of translating the manga into a moving image, though. It's just a matter of how well they do it. And of course, anime movies that were never mangas I find can be SO GOOD. Throw me something that studio Ghibli does, and I'm happy.

+Quote Post
LordGohan
post Aug 5 2005, 01:19 AM
Post #39

Alchemists

Member No.: 2,814

well...i dot mind the diffrence cause sometimes they explain more in the other side,like in tsubasa

--------------------
Do not mention naruto in my presence and we will get along fine.
Watashi wa boku-desu

+Quote Post
pawnedbyme
post Dec 20 2006, 03:26 PM
Post #40

Apprentice

Member No.: 42,893

I think they try to make he animie more interesting by basing it off the manga but still changing it but i wish they were the same.

+Quote Post
Demon x
post Dec 25 2006, 10:25 AM
Post #41

Alchemists

Member No.: 39,726

I think it should and it shouldn't because there are people who read the Anime and the manga and they want it to be different and there are some people who can't get the Anime so they get the manga instead so they want it to be like seeing the Anime itself.

--------------------
formerly known as Garuda, God of War.
Signature coming soon

+Quote Post
Shinobimelxi
post Dec 25 2006, 11:53 AM
Post #42

Alchemists

Member No.: 18,236

I agree with the topic title.
Fullmetal alchemist I believe went well even though it sorta went off, but i still enjoyed watching it.
The Anime Series that bothers me so far is D.N.Angel, i don't like how the anime director changed many things about it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Funderful
post Dec 25 2006, 12:15 PM
Post #43

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 41,785

It depends.
If it sticks to the manga, you've seen it all before.
If Fullmetal Alchemist didn't go in seperate paths after the first season, it wouldn't have ended up like it did.
This way, we have twice the Fma stuff to follow!
Which is good, because we have more, of course.
But there are times when I truly wish they added the Xing crew.
But it went okay compared to what could have happened- Cough, Cough, Naruto.

Generally, I prefer when they follow the manga.
Why? The creator knows the characters, and usually ends up with a more interesting plot (which again, in my opinion, is true with Arakawa's work), and there are times when the anime is filled to the brim with, well, filler.

+Quote Post
Chiisana
post Dec 25 2006, 01:47 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 42,646

I would say hat I like anime which sticks to the manga. but after reading what Funderful-san said, I start wondering...
Indeed it might be fun to have twice stuff of one series, but I usually don't like the ending they made.

It was disappointing that they doesn't have Ling (and the other character) in FMA and made their own ending + "story"? In manga, we still don't know how homunculi are made, right? smile.gif And the one who's commanding the homunculi is the mystery Hohenheim-like guy, not Dante.

Another example was Ouran High School Host Club. The manga still haven't end yet and BONES studio made up an ending by putting an extra character in it. Or else, it was great to see animated series ohmy.gif Ouran was fun to watch in anime because of the comedy. I could say that I might not had laughed so much of the manga than anime.

But one thing I'm wondering. Do InuYasha anime stick with the manga? It looks like they do so ohmy.gif

--------------------
|| =deviantArt= || =LiveJournal= ||

+Quote Post
MasterKris
post Dec 25 2006, 03:07 PM
Post #45

Brigadier General

Member No.: 8,833

There are many reasons to why studios tend to make animes different from the manga. Here are some examples.

One, you all must know that while manga is freely written since it has no limit other than specific pages to how you draw it, animes have many limits. One, they all need to fit one good episode into a 22 minute space that doesn't arruptly end. Sometimes, it may be too little time or too much time so they either quicken the pace and leave out some parts or drag the story to the end. Also, animes have limited episode numbers to of how much it's popular or budgeted or how much devotion and time the studio is giving to the anime. It's either 13, 24, 26, 51, or so on episodes. Somehow the studio must figure out how they can fit the manga story into those episodes so they switch around a bit.

Two, sometimes, an anime might slowely follow a manga but then it's usually the ending that messes everything up. Mangas are the original story, if the anime studio asks the mangaka to give them the ending when the manga hasn't ended and animate it out, then it becomes a spoiler to the manga. Also, sometimes anime makers must figure out to make out an ending to an anime in the last episode or two. This can strike endings in heavily ways.

Next, mangakas usually request anime studios to actually change the manga story because if the anime is EXACTLY like the manga then it would become too boring. Even Hiromu Arakawa, the mangaka of FMA, asked BONES to change it. She thought another version would be more fun than exactly following her manga.

Lastly, I do sometimes wish the anime to be exactly like the manga but then if it was really like that for all animes, then I wouldn't really try downloading all those episodes just to watch the exact same thing. There's even animes where I perfer the anime than the manga. Like Card Captor Sakura, Shaman King, etc. And there's animes where I think it's pretty much okay regardless of their few small changes. There are animes where I dread and wish to kill the studio just for it, like Chrono Crusade, Black Cat, etc. (DIE GONZO!!)

I really wouldn't agree exactly on the anime should be exactly like manga, it is sometimes fun to watch different situations of the anime but sometimes I do feel the ughs from it. I guess it really depends on different animes whether they should be exactly like the manga or not, it has its ups and downs. The FMA anime for example, was disappointing for its lack of Xing characters, the chapters of the Ishbal War, and the elements from the manga, but it did gave us tons of stuff that the manga didn't like Ed going over to 'our world', Al dressed up as Ed, Ed finally getting back his one arm, the Tringham brothers, puffy haired Ed, cool action scenes not found in the manga, and many other amusing and funny scenes. Just enjoy the anime as it is, or just hold a strike in front of the studio.

--------------------
HYO!!
Known as the Sadistic Feedbacker. The Wise Spanish Apprentice of *~vachi~*
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/Mas...-sensei-sig.png
Siggy & avvy made by me.

Visit My Manhwa/Manga Raws Thread!!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2016 - 08:59 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css