Reply to this topicStart new topic
Are Al and Winry both equally important to Edward?, In manga/Brotherhood only
Cxille
post Jul 9 2011, 07:53 AM
Post #1

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 82,420

First post here. I hope it's ok to create a topic about this.

Are Al and Winry both equally important to Edward, or do you think that Al means more to him than Winry does? Because of what happened to them with the failed human transmutation, it's safe to say that Ed payed more attention to Al in his younger teenage years, but he seems to love Winry equally as much as he loves Al (In a different way, of course) - His brother and childhood friend is proved to be the two people he cares most about, and they're both very special, and both extremely important to him.

I personally don't think Edward prefers one over the other, but I would like to hear peoples opinions?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dark-Winds
post Jul 9 2011, 09:00 AM
Post #2

Apprentice

Member No.: 75,903

I think it depends heavily on which series we're talking about.

If we're talking about the first anime I would say that it's quiet obvious that Al is Ed's first priority over anyone or anything. I didn't see him care much for Winry in the first anime. I mean, I'm sure he did care about her, they're friends after all. But personally, I think he cared about Al a lot more. The first anime was mostly focused on the bond between the brothers. So Winry just kind of out of the picture there. I think that's shown pretty well in the movie.

But in the manga/brotherhood, I'd say things are a little bit different. I still think that Ed cares more about Al than he does about Winry. However, I think the bond between Ed and Winry is a lot stronger here. Ed risked his life at one point to save her. Not only that, but he's extremely protective of her. I'd say the bond between Ed and Al is something so different than that of normal brothers. I mean, let's consider everything that those two have been through together. That's not really something that can be matched. But I do think that Ed cares a lot about Winry, and it's probably pretty close to how much he cares about Al.

--------------------

Roy x Riza - Edward x Winry - Ling x Lan Fan - Alphonse x Mei - Havoc x Rebecca

+Quote Post
Sakuyahanabi
post Jul 9 2011, 11:11 AM
Post #3

Citizen

Member No.: 73,547

QUOTE (Dark-Winds @ Jul 9 2011, 09:00 AM) *
But in the manga/brotherhood, I'd say things are a little bit different. I still think that Ed cares more about Al than he does about Winry. However, I think the bond between Ed and Winry is a lot stronger here. Ed risked his life at one point to save her. Not only that, but he's extremely protective of her. I'd say the bond between Ed and Al is something so different than that of normal brothers. I mean, let's consider everything that those two have been through together. That's not really something that can be matched. But I do think that Ed cares a lot about Winry, and it's probably pretty close to how much he cares about Al.

I agree with many things you said here (especially with you saying that Ed and Al are more than normal brothers) but I don't think that Al means more to him. I honestly think that he loves both equally, and both are special to him. True, he had been very protective of Al, and more attentive to his needs for the first couple years, and yes, they've been through hell together, but around the time we're brought into the story he's matured, and realizes just how deeply his life, his decisions and his mistakes have effected his childhood friend as well. I do think Al were 'more important' during his childhood/young teenage years, but we also know how he and Winry eventually ends up. In that sense, I think it's pretty even (if that makes sense?)

+Quote Post
Dearheart
post Jul 9 2011, 12:24 PM
Post #4

Alchemists

Member No.: 64,903

Haha...it's weird seeing this topic here, 'cause a few months ago I wrote an EdWin fanfic tackling the exact same issue. I guess great minds think alike...or in this case, ask the same questions. xD

Anyway...I completely agree with you, Cxille. They are both equally important and dear to him, in different ways. And to keep from rambling on about it too much, I'll just quote what I put in my author's notes:

It seems that a lot of fans - not ALL, but a lot - are divided into two groups: EdWin fangirls who think Ed and Winry should be together at all costs, and Elric bromance lovers who think the brothers are soulmates and should never ever be separated.

You guys...who says you can't have it both ways?

I happen to be a die-hard fangirl for both EdWin AND the brotherly love between Ed and Al. In fact, I think the brothers are almost LITERALLY soulmates because of the whole "spirits being mixed" thing in the manga. (You don't see any other characters sharing each other's Gates, anyway. That's pretty awesome on a number of levels, if you think about it...) To me, the concepts of soulmates and True Love aren't limited to romance; and I think Ed and Al (and Frodo and Sam, and any other pairs you can think of) are a perfect example of what I mean.

But does that lessen the depth of Ed's love and care for Winry (warning! Manga ending spoilers!!) (who is his WIFE now, I might add) or somehow make it not-as-powerful? Or do his feelings for Winry get in the way of his devotion and love for his brother? Could he ever truly love one more than the other? NO! And it bothers me SO MUCH when people suggest that. Al and Winry BOTH complete him, and he loves them both equally in different ways. IMO, neither love is more important or powerful than the other, and choosing between them would be as impossible for Ed as bringing the dead to life.

In short, you can have your EdWin/Elric bromance cake, and eat it too! biggrin.gif

And I hope it's not show-off-ish to quote my own story, but just to drive my points home a little more, I will.

"If you had to choose...between Al and me...who would you pick?"

The words struck him like a thunderbolt. He blinked, too shocked by her question to form coherent words at first. "Wha...w-who would I pick? What kind of question is that?"

"Please," she begged. "Just tell me."

Edward frowned and propped himself up on his left elbow, lifting her chin to look straight at her.

"That would be impossible," he said firmly. "I can't choose between two halves of myself."

So...yep! There's my two-cents! Hope it made cents...er, sense. (Ugh, that was bad...) xD

--------------------

Dear pain, it's been a long time.
Remember when you were holding me tight?
I would stay awake with you all night...

~ -:- ~
Ed art by NellaTheFairy on deviantART.
EdWin lovers, click here!

+Quote Post
Cxille
post Jul 10 2011, 09:37 AM
Post #5

Citizen

Member No.: 82,420

Dearheart, I've just finished reading your story, and I think it was beautiful, and very well written. I love how you take this 'issue', and Winry's fear, with Ed telling her that she is just as important to him, and that she should never doubt that. It was a pleasure to read, so thank you so much for sharing. <3

I agree wholeheartedly, choosing Winry or Alphonse would be impossible for Ed. Al is his little brother and best friend, and (Possible series spoiler ahead) he is in love with Winry. He has known and been close to them his entire life. I think it would be safe to say that while he loves them each differently, he loves them equally. They both mean the world to him, and I think that, sometimes, fandom tends to forget that.

+Quote Post
Nocturne
post Aug 8 2011, 11:12 PM
Post #6

Citizen

Member No.: 83,429

I have only watched the anime - both versions - and thus my feedback will unavoidably be influenced by this.

From what I've seen, Ed has a very strong relationship with Al and a very different yet equally complex relationship with Winry.

Their relationships are such that I do not find them to be comparable in terms of value or prioritization simply due to they are so different.

Al + Ed = Concrete, foundation, inseparable

Winry + Ed = Passionate, engagement and subtle glue filling the cracks caused by their fighting and binding them together enough so that when they go their opposite directions from an emotional dispute, they bounce right back.

Both relationships have a sense of permanence to them.

--------------------
drink up, baby, stay up all night
the things you could do, you won't but you might
the potential you'll be, that you'll never see
the promises you'll only make

drink up one more time and I'll make you mine
keep you apart deep in my heart separate from the rest
where I like you the best and keep the things you forgot

the people you've been before that you don't want around anymore
that push and shove and won't bend to your will
I'll keep them still

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2016 - 08:37 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css