HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

SPOILER For those who watched the movie, post your review here!, Please do not come in if you mind getting spoiled!
Tombow
post Jul 4 2011, 04:02 AM
Post #1

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

For those who had seen the movie, post your reviews here!

For more detailed discussions of individual topics, please use appropriate discussion threads.

WARNING! This thread may contain major FMA Sacred Star of Milos movie spoiler!!
If you do not know the movie storyline, and/or do not wish to be spoiled of such spoiler content, please do NOT go any further!

Actual discussions start on the page 2.. of this thread. smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Puka-chan
post Aug 8 2011, 11:46 AM
Post #2

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 77,068

Someone did a review on Youtube:

Sacred Star of Milos review

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Aug 8 2011, 12:11 PM
Post #3

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

QUOTE (Puka-chan @ Aug 8 2011, 02:46 PM) *
Someone did a review on Youtube:

Sacred Star of Milos review

^ Thank you, Puka-chan! biggrin.gif

Lol, the guy talks and talks! laugh.gif But, I can see he is an FMA fan (said he wacthed FMA-1, FMA:Brotherhood, and read FMA manga, and he was stalked to watch FMA movie at OTAKON ^^)
And, he is pretty good. No specific spoilers (I double checked), just general overall stuff, and I mostly agree with what he said. biggrin.gif

=========

Continue with posting more reviews found on the Web. smile.gif

Fullmetal Alchemist: Sacred Star of Milos

Posted on Aug. 1 on Graveyard of Originality by someone who watched it at OTAKON.
I was fortunate enough to see a screening of this movie at Otakon and felt like I finally had something worth blogging about again. Before you ask, no. I do not have screencaps, streams, or anything else of the movie. Buy it on DVD when it comes out.

The movie spends a good ten minutes showing Julia's backstory before Ed and Al get any screentime and it's interesting even though you don't really get the significance of her family fleeing from Milos to Creta until later in the movie.

With Ed and Al on the screen just in time to see someone break out of prison in Central Amestris and fail to stop him (seriously, where are Bradley and the rest of the homunculi while this is going on right under their noses?) and then chase him west to Milos in the west, a warzone between Amestris and Creta struggling for its independence from both with the probable inevitability of being used in the Nationwide Amestrian Transmutation Circle either way. Okay, no more jokes about the plot of a filler movie in the grand scope of the overall plot. Also I don't want to spoil things so I'm gonna stop talking about the plot almost entirely now that I've given you a little taste of it.

So, was the movie good? Yes. It stayed plausibly within the story of the series, had a good standalone plot with interesting movie-exclusive characters, catered to the fanbase well (if the mass cheering at the Otakon screening at every little thing that happened were any indication) and stayed true to central ideas, ideals, and themes of the original work despite Arakawa's lack of involvement in the film.

If I were to levy complaints against the film, it would be toward its handling of side characters. Given that the movie doesn't definitively state whether it takes place in the first anime's continuity or the manga's continuity there's a limited character pool you can pull from, but even those characters they didn't do justice to.
You'd expect Alex Louis Armstrong to be a pretty strong force in the movie (and chew some scenery. and sparkle.) but he's there for about three seconds.
Mustang and Hawkeye have actual roles in the movie, but when it comes to the action the Flame Alchemist who in other events has mass-nuked and burned things does next to nothing and the number of bullets Hawkeye fires in the movie can probably be counted on one hand.

Secondly, while the plot is a good bit better than your average anime movie (I've watched seven Naruto movies and three Bleach movies, some of which make no sense at all in terms of plot) the action wasn't as good as those other anime movies tend to get. But Fullmetal Alchemist was never a story about long fight scenes and such I suppose. But while fixing these grievances might've made it better, the grievances by no means make it a bad film.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed the film and I honestly hope they make more filler movies like this to explore some of the other areas bordering Amestris and some of the other unknowns of the Fullmetal Alchemist universe. Would be great if they could get Arakawa on board with writing future films too.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Tombow   SPOILER For those who watched the movie, post your review here!   Jul 4 2011, 04:02 AM
- - Tombow   <accidental spoiler prevention post>   Jul 4 2011, 04:03 AM
- - Tombow   <accidental spoiler prevention post>   Jul 4 2011, 04:04 AM
- - Tombow   <accidental spoiler prevention post>   Jul 4 2011, 04:05 AM
- - Tombow   Actual discussions start below. For those who ha...   Jul 4 2011, 04:06 AM
- - RedAmaranth   I'll post here what I posted on my Tumblr...   Jul 6 2011, 10:58 PM
|- - His Name is Unknown   QUOTE (RedAmaranth @ Jul 7 2011, 01:58 AM...   Jul 7 2011, 11:32 PM
||- - laceriselolita   ahhh...thank you for the review XD <@laceris...   Jul 8 2011, 11:35 AM
|- - Shukumei Taisa   @RedAmaranth - Maybe this question is unuseful fo...   Nov 2 2011, 01:17 PM
- - Tombow   ^ @RedAmaranth - Thank you for posting the very fi...   Jul 8 2011, 06:29 AM
- - RedAmaranth   QUOTE (His Name is Unknown @ Jul 8 2011, 02...   Jul 10 2011, 01:29 AM
- - Tombow   Since we still have only a handful of people outsi...   Aug 3 2011, 04:37 AM
- - Tombow   Continuing with some of more English reviews by pe...   Aug 4 2011, 01:18 PM
- - Tombow   Continuing with some of more English reviews by pe...   Aug 6 2011, 12:49 PM
- - Tombow   Continuing with some of more English reviews by pe...   Aug 6 2011, 01:04 PM
- - Tombow   Another review by someone who watched the movie at...   Aug 28 2011, 09:59 PM
- - Tombow   @Shukumei Taisa - RedAmaranth is from U.S., but cu...   Nov 2 2011, 02:16 PM
- - zonkiethegreat   An independent cinema here in Downtown Miami has b...   Jan 22 2012, 12:27 AM
- - ShadowCat17   So I finally saw the movie... Overall: 4/10 I was...   May 28 2012, 04:46 AM
- - Archeia   I know I'm late but it wasn't until last n...   Mar 29 2013, 11:12 AM
- - EdokunEdo   I saw this movie ages ago but I don't know if ...   Mar 31 2013, 07:57 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th August 2016 - 06:14 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css