HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

SPOILER For those who watched the movie, post your review here!, Please do not come in if you mind getting spoiled!
Tombow
post Jul 4 2011, 04:02 AM
Post #1

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

For those who had seen the movie, post your reviews here!

For more detailed discussions of individual topics, please use appropriate discussion threads.

WARNING! This thread may contain major FMA Sacred Star of Milos movie spoiler!!
If you do not know the movie storyline, and/or do not wish to be spoiled of such spoiler content, please do NOT go any further!

Actual discussions start on the page 2.. of this thread. smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Tombow
post Aug 6 2011, 01:04 PM
Post #2

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

Continuing with some of more English reviews by people/fan who watched the movie, on the web. ...the reviews in English are still hard to come by. xp

Review by Brolytlss posted on mangafoxforum who watched English subbed version at OTAKON

Alright everyone, Since no one has made a post about this yet. I am just going to come out and say it.
I Have actually seen Sacred Star of Milos. I was at Otakon This year and they actually had a showing of it there.
It was definitely the most popular event at the entire convention by leaps and bounds.

anyway, about the movie. the movie was very good. I enjoyed it a lot. and the entire audience seemed to enjoy it too.

the story is pretty much kinda canon, but also non-canon. its kinda like a DBZ movie, each of which take place in a certain point in the series.

in this case the movie takes place at around after episode 20 of brotherhood, and is set in the west at the creta-amestris border. Now I am not sure how far this goes into spoiler territory, so I am just going to put this in spoiler tags just to be safe, although Im pretty sure its just the plot

=======

<This part tells some spoiler of the movie storyline. Please read at your own risk. ^^ >

now as mentioned before, Julia Crichtion, is one of the movie's main characters, as well as her brother, whose name escapes me at the moment, who uses water-based and lightning-based alchemy.
anyway, the plot involves Julia and her brother who's parents researched the people who once inhabited the city of milos as well as the city itself. now if I remember correctly it is their parents research notes that the amestrian officers governing Milos as well as the cretian military want to get their hands on. and Julia and her brother are part of a group of resistance fighters who I think are the ancestors of the original inhabitants of milos and want to aqcuire a great power known as the sacred star of milos, which will allow them the ability to control the earth's lava/magma,which is where the research notes come in and they want to use this power to retake the city of milos from the amestrian gov't.

and creta wants control of Milos as well, so its essentially like a 3 sided battle between creta, the resistance fighters, and the amestrian officials governing Milos. now unless I am forgetting something, thats pretty much the plot.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, the movie also features [were]wolf chimeras. ... kind of an odd distinct memory, but something to mention

=======

Now for my analysis of the movie
As far as the movie itself. I thought the plot was very good and the pacing equally as good. There were a few plot twists that were very good and were somewhat unexpected heel turns. I say somewhat because one of the major plot twists I called at around 45 min - an hour before it was revealed and was absolutely 100% correct. But I am pretty good at calling out plot twist, so I can't really say for sure how unexpected this one was
Now this does not mean that it was a bad plot twist. I thought that it was very plausible and very good when it comes to plot twists. if you didnt see it coming, you could see where it came from and how it played out, which is something that I liked.

Now overall the movie was very very good, and I think it will be much better received than Shamballa was, Although I didn't necessarily hated the first FMA movie but I do understand why others do.
So I think that all FMA fans can look forward to seeing the movie. it was said the movie was to be released state-side some time next year, and even with a theatrical release, which will probably come in the spring, with a dvd release in the summer or fall.

Well I think that is pretty much all I got to Say about Milos. Hope I answered some questions.

EDIT:
And also, if people think there might be links to streams of this release, I would not get your hopes up. they were very very strict about making sure that this movie didn't get out. all cell phones, cameras and other devices had to be turned off, and they had people paroling the theater making sure people would comply, and anyone that didn't would be kicked out of the convention, so I do not expect a stream link of any kind for a while

And, a review by someone who watched it at OTAKON, and didn't like it.

Ed Went to Otakon 2011 — Saturday
By Ed Sizemore on NowNewsUpdate
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos

A convict escapes from prison using alchemic symbols that Ed and Al Elric have never seen before. They choose to pursue the criminal, hoping this form of alchemy might hold the key to them being able to recover Al’s body and free his soul from being bonded to a suit of armor.

Sacred Star of Milos is a side-tale meant to be viewable by people unfamiliar with Fullmetal Alchemist. Even if, it doesn’t live up to its intentions. Lots of the alchemy discussion is going to be lost on people unfamiliar with or new to the series. They throw out terms like Door of Truth and Philosopher’s Stone without any explanation. Also, there are random appearances of fan-favorite characters who distract from the film’s plot.

I’m a fan of the original Fullmetal Alchemist manga, as well as the two TV anime adaptations. I still found Sacred Star of Milos disappointing. The tale is a mess. Too much time is devoted to making sure all the favorite characters get some screen time, and it hurts the plot. As much as I like Winry, Lt Haweye, Major Armstrong, and Col Mustang, they had no business being in this film.

The final third is extremely rushed. There are stacked revelations, characters show up just in time to offer special skills to help out the Elric brothers, and too many magical coincidences. The final battle scene, in fastidious, requires the consultation to fill in gaps as to why one form of attack was more effectual than another. I talked to a couple of people who were not familiar with the series, and they were confused by how the heroes ending up winning.

There was a lot of potential in the Sacred Star of Milos speech. Even if, it feels like a excellent foundational tale was sacrificed in order to pander to fans of the series. Only the most die-hard fans of Fullmetal Alchemist will delight in this film; those unfamiliar with the series should avoid the film absolutely. Sacred Star of Milos is a real shame. The Elric brothers and their fans deserve surpass than this.

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Tombow   SPOILER For those who watched the movie, post your review here!   Jul 4 2011, 04:02 AM
- - Tombow   <accidental spoiler prevention post>   Jul 4 2011, 04:03 AM
- - Tombow   <accidental spoiler prevention post>   Jul 4 2011, 04:04 AM
- - Tombow   <accidental spoiler prevention post>   Jul 4 2011, 04:05 AM
- - Tombow   Actual discussions start below. For those who ha...   Jul 4 2011, 04:06 AM
- - RedAmaranth   I'll post here what I posted on my Tumblr...   Jul 6 2011, 10:58 PM
|- - His Name is Unknown   QUOTE (RedAmaranth @ Jul 7 2011, 01:58 AM...   Jul 7 2011, 11:32 PM
||- - laceriselolita   ahhh...thank you for the review XD <@laceris...   Jul 8 2011, 11:35 AM
|- - Shukumei Taisa   @RedAmaranth - Maybe this question is unuseful fo...   Nov 2 2011, 01:17 PM
- - Tombow   ^ @RedAmaranth - Thank you for posting the very fi...   Jul 8 2011, 06:29 AM
- - RedAmaranth   QUOTE (His Name is Unknown @ Jul 8 2011, 02...   Jul 10 2011, 01:29 AM
- - Tombow   Since we still have only a handful of people outsi...   Aug 3 2011, 04:37 AM
- - Tombow   Continuing with some of more English reviews by pe...   Aug 4 2011, 01:18 PM
- - Tombow   Continuing with some of more English reviews by pe...   Aug 6 2011, 12:49 PM
- - Puka-chan   Someone did a review on Youtube: Sacred Star of M...   Aug 8 2011, 11:46 AM
|- - Tombow   QUOTE (Puka-chan @ Aug 8 2011, 02:46...   Aug 8 2011, 12:11 PM
- - Tombow   Another review by someone who watched the movie at...   Aug 28 2011, 09:59 PM
- - Tombow   @Shukumei Taisa - RedAmaranth is from U.S., but cu...   Nov 2 2011, 02:16 PM
- - zonkiethegreat   An independent cinema here in Downtown Miami has b...   Jan 22 2012, 12:27 AM
- - ShadowCat17   So I finally saw the movie... Overall: 4/10 I was...   May 28 2012, 04:46 AM
- - Archeia   I know I'm late but it wasn't until last n...   Mar 29 2013, 11:12 AM
- - EdokunEdo   I saw this movie ages ago but I don't know if ...   Mar 31 2013, 07:57 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2016 - 07:28 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css