HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

SPOILER For those who watched the movie, post your review here!, Please do not come in if you mind getting spoiled!
Tombow
post Jul 4 2011, 04:02 AM
Post #1

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

For those who had seen the movie, post your reviews here!

For more detailed discussions of individual topics, please use appropriate discussion threads.

WARNING! This thread may contain major FMA Sacred Star of Milos movie spoiler!!
If you do not know the movie storyline, and/or do not wish to be spoiled of such spoiler content, please do NOT go any further!

Actual discussions start on the page 2.. of this thread. smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
RedAmaranth
post Jul 6 2011, 10:58 PM
Post #2

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 75,491

I'll post here what I posted on my Tumblr!! smile.gif There are no spoilers in this review smile.gif

PREPARE YOURSELVESÖ
It was good. Good as I can tell anyways.

KEEP IN MIND, I viewed this movie in Japanese (no subs) and I do not speak much Japanese so the intricate details of the plot are clearly lost on me. However, it was easy to get the gist of what was happening and me and my husband were able to follow along through the entire film.

I will not be posting spoilers, sorry! (I posted a few in the spoiler forum in you are curious!)

What I liked:

The animation. I know there is debate over the new Ďstyleí and what not. I really enjoyed it. Mustang seemed drawn a little off in some parts, but thatís something I can get past. I prefer Edís Ďnormalí golden eyes, but his gradient eyes werenít horrible, they were pretty cool. Overall the animation gets my approval.

The music. I thought the music was awesome. Simple as that. (I also REALLY enjoyed the ending theme that is played throughout the credits)

The fight scenes. They got intense at times but they were really cool! Towards the end they got a little bit graphic but nothing that canít be handled. I loved these scenes though. Iíll throw out the word Ďepicí and let you take it as that wink.gif

The characters. While I couldnít understand them, it was still much easier to get into these characters and actually enjoy the plot unlike another certain FMA movie I know aboutÖ *Shamballa* These characters actually had substance! Especially the female protagonist, Julia Crichton. Unlike Noa from Shamballa, Julia had a real, fleshed out story and I found myself rooting for her in the end.

The plot. Yes yes, I know. ďBut you couldnít understand what they were saying!Ē Right, but like I said, I still understood what the general gist of the plot was and I am insanely curious as to all the details that I didnít get because of the language barrier. I canít wait to see it subbed! Anyways, I got the general gist of the plot and it held my interest the entire movie. It was really interesting and (to me) it twisted and turned and just kept getting juicer. This movie feels like it belongs with the FMA collection, unlike (in my opinion) Conqueror of Shamballa. (which I view as a completely separate entity entirely)

Overall I give Sacred Star of Milos a thumbs up! It was a thrill to watch it on the big screen with surround sound AND we got a free booklet with a mini manga and character profiles for all of the new characters when we entered the theater! Yeah, thatís in Japanese too, but still so cool! I posted a pic, hopefully it works.

Hopefully once I see it with subs I donít change my opinion and eat my words! It really seemed like a good movie with great characters and a pretty solid plot. Winry has an appearance as does Mustang, Hawkeye, Armstrong and Breda (very brief for Breda and Armstrong). In that sense, yes itís mostly about Ed and Al with the new characters like Shamballa but this time I felt it worked!

I had VERY low expectations going into the theater, so maybe thatís why I thought it was so good, but even if you go in with a decent amount of hope I donít think you will be disappointed. I felt like it really delivered.

Another small note that may or may not interest anyone. I noticed as we were leaving the theater that the age-range of the audience was pretty varied. There were younger children, people in their twenties(my age-range), and even people that were middle-aged that werenít simply accompanying children but were there for themselves! I thought that was really awesome that so many age groups were accounted for in the audience!

So basically, to sum it up. If you are looking for a continuation of Brotherhood, as it's already been established, this is not it.

Like I said above, it's Ed and Al interacting with new characters in a new setting. Sometimes it's only the new characters and Ed and Al aren't even in the scenes. So you just have to go in KNOWING that that's how it's going to be and take it for what it is.

Attached File  DSC00628.JPG ( 4.34MB ) Number of downloads: 48
Attached File  DSC00620.JPG ( 4.39MB ) Number of downloads: 40
Attached File  DSC00626.JPG ( 4.4MB ) Number of downloads: 39
Attached File  DSC00622.JPG ( 4.73MB ) Number of downloads: 59

+Quote Post
His Name is Unkn...
post Jul 7 2011, 11:32 PM
Post #3

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 40,795

QUOTE (RedAmaranth @ Jul 7 2011, 01:58 AM) *
I'll post here what I posted on my Tumblr!! smile.gif There are no spoilers in this review smile.gif

So basically, to sum it up. If you are looking for a continuation of Brotherhood, as it's already been established, this is not it.

Like I said above, it's Ed and Al interacting with new characters in a new setting. Sometimes it's only the new characters and Ed and Al aren't even in the scenes. So you just have to go in KNOWING that that's how it's going to be and take it for what it is.

First, let me just take a moment to thank you for this spoiler-free preview of the film. I've been undecided on this movie for quite some time, but your positive feedback in conjunction with the impressive animation on display in the official previews have given me cause to reconsider my earlier reservations.

I do have one question related to the material quoted from your original post. You say that the new movie does not function as a continuation of Brotherhood, but what about its role as part of the larger Brotherhood continuity? In other words, would it be possible to consider this film as part of the 2004 story line? This may seem like a silly question, but to me it is rather important. I vastly prefer FMA1 and CoS to anything I witnessed in Brotherhood, and nothing would give me greater enjoyment than to hear that Milos Star can be taken as a stand alone work compatible with either anime continuity.

From official clips, I understand they've retained the brotherhood voice actors for series mainstays like Winry, Riza and Roy - and in that respect the film is a Brotherhood spin-off - but what about actual plot? You mentioned the Doors of Truth in another post. Does Julia actually interact with Truth or is her loss merely implied? Beyond this, are there any specific references to Brotherhood-only material?

I appreciate any feedback you may be able to offer, as it will likely be quite some time before I am able to watch a legitimate version of this film. Many thanks in advance. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Tombow   SPOILER For those who watched the movie, post your review here!   Jul 4 2011, 04:02 AM
- - Tombow   <accidental spoiler prevention post>   Jul 4 2011, 04:03 AM
- - Tombow   <accidental spoiler prevention post>   Jul 4 2011, 04:04 AM
- - Tombow   <accidental spoiler prevention post>   Jul 4 2011, 04:05 AM
- - Tombow   Actual discussions start below. For those who ha...   Jul 4 2011, 04:06 AM
||- - laceriselolita   ahhh...thank you for the review XD <@laceris...   Jul 8 2011, 11:35 AM
|- - Shukumei Taisa   @RedAmaranth - Maybe this question is unuseful fo...   Nov 2 2011, 01:17 PM
- - Tombow   ^ @RedAmaranth - Thank you for posting the very fi...   Jul 8 2011, 06:29 AM
- - RedAmaranth   QUOTE (His Name is Unknown @ Jul 8 2011, 02...   Jul 10 2011, 01:29 AM
- - Tombow   Since we still have only a handful of people outsi...   Aug 3 2011, 04:37 AM
- - Tombow   Continuing with some of more English reviews by pe...   Aug 4 2011, 01:18 PM
- - Tombow   Continuing with some of more English reviews by pe...   Aug 6 2011, 12:49 PM
- - Tombow   Continuing with some of more English reviews by pe...   Aug 6 2011, 01:04 PM
- - Puka-chan   Someone did a review on Youtube: Sacred Star of M...   Aug 8 2011, 11:46 AM
|- - Tombow   QUOTE (Puka-chan @ Aug 8 2011, 02:46...   Aug 8 2011, 12:11 PM
- - Tombow   Another review by someone who watched the movie at...   Aug 28 2011, 09:59 PM
- - Tombow   @Shukumei Taisa - RedAmaranth is from U.S., but cu...   Nov 2 2011, 02:16 PM
- - zonkiethegreat   An independent cinema here in Downtown Miami has b...   Jan 22 2012, 12:27 AM
- - ShadowCat17   So I finally saw the movie... Overall: 4/10 I was...   May 28 2012, 04:46 AM
- - Archeia   I know I'm late but it wasn't until last n...   Mar 29 2013, 11:12 AM
- - EdokunEdo   I saw this movie ages ago but I don't know if ...   Mar 31 2013, 07:57 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2016 - 11:06 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css