Reply to this topicStart new topic
Rurouni Kenshin (a.k.a Samurai X), One of the classics
Celira
post Nov 27 2004, 01:42 PM
Post #1

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,867

Although RuroKen is, for all intents and purposes, old, the English manga is still in the process of being released.

So, who else here is a fan, former fan, or the rare person out there who actually hasn't gotten into it? It was the anime that startled many people into awareness of Japanese history, though Watsuki-san did alter a bit of it. Okay, a lot of it. But it's nice, ne? (I like the manga better than the anime.)

(Source: MangaFox)

Years of Released: 1994
Author: Watsuki Nobuhiro
Artist: Watsuki Nobuhiro
Genre: Action, Adventure, Historical, Martial Arts, Romance, Shounen

Summary
140 years ago in Kyoto, with the coming of the American "Black Ships," there arose a warrior who, felling men with his bloodstained blade, gained the name Hitokiri, man slayer! His killer blade helped close the turbulent Bakumatsu era and slashed open the progressive age known as Meiji. Then he vanished, and with the flow of years, became legend.

Now, ten years into the Meiji Era, a man named Kenshin Himura appears and is revealed to be the Batousai.

Join Kenshin, Kaoru, Yahiko and Sanosuke as they battle it out with their enemies while Kenshin is trying to stop his 'other self' getting out of control.....

(Source: wiki, Rurouni Kenshin)
Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Swordsman Romantic Story (るろうに剣心 -明治剣客浪漫譚-), also known as Rurouni Kenshin and Samurai X, is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Nobuhiro Watsuki. The fictional setting takes place during the early Meiji period in Japan. The story is about a fictional assassin named Himura Kenshin, from the Bakumatsu who becomes a wanderer to protect the people of Japan. Watsuki wrote this series upon his desire of making a shōnen manga different from the other ones that were published in that time, with Kenshin being a former assassin and the story taking a more serious tone as it continued. Although the tragic tone was highly expanded as the manga advanced, Watsuki became determined to give it a happy ending as it was aimed at teenagers.

The manga initially appeared in Shueisha's Weekly Shōnen Jump from September 2, 1994, to November 4, 1999. The complete work consists of 28 tankōbon volumes, while years later it was reprinted into twenty-two kanzenban volumes. Studio Gallop, Studio Deen and SPE Visual Works adapted the manga into an anime series which aired in Japan from January 10, 1996 to September 8, 1998. Seasons 1 and 2 cover the first 151 chapters of the manga, however Season 3 is an original storyline. Besides an animated film, two series of original video animations (OVAs) were also produced. The first adapted stories from the manga that were not featured in the anime, while the second was also a sequel of the manga. Writer Kaoru Shizuka has authored three official Rurouni Kenshin light novels which were published by Shueisha. Several video games have also been released for the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 consoles.

The United States release of the manga has been completed by Viz Media. Rurouni Kenshin is subtitled "Wandering Samurai" in some English releases, as a rough translation of "Rurō ni" (流浪に, lit. "Wandering"?).

The series has been highly popular in Japan, the United States, Brazil and Europe. The manga has sold over 47 million copies in Japan as of 2007 while the anime has ranked between the 100 most watched series in Japan multiple times.

Reason for edit: Description and info added by Mod

--------------------
I made my icon. Please ask me before taking.
----------
*sporksporksporksporkspork* Steer clear from me lest I rant you to death.
----------
Artemis Winter's imouto. She'll speak for me when I'm too lazy to steal the computer from her.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ninie
post Nov 27 2004, 01:45 PM
Post #2

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 434

I only saw some epsiodes of the anime, but I read most of the manga, and I saw the OVAs happy.gif I like it very much.

The manga is not finished in english? In french it has been for a long time...

--------------------
user posted image
Made by the amazing Haroken! ^_^ Thank you!

+Quote Post
Celira
post Nov 27 2004, 01:53 PM
Post #3

Citizen

Member No.: 2,867

Yes, it's not out yet. Stupid Americans. tongue.gif The OVAs are nice, though Reflection basically just lumps the last volumes of the manga together vaguely and adds some randomness. They didn't release season 3 of the anime in the US, I don't think.

--------------------
I made my icon. Please ask me before taking.
----------
*sporksporksporksporkspork* Steer clear from me lest I rant you to death.
----------
Artemis Winter's imouto. She'll speak for me when I'm too lazy to steal the computer from her.

+Quote Post
Ninie
post Nov 27 2004, 01:54 PM
Post #4

State Alchemist (Major)

Season three... the one with the religious lady? Sayo, I think?

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Kihaku
post Nov 27 2004, 02:11 PM
Post #5

Brigadier General

Member No.: 1,360

Hmm... RK is released monthly by VIZ, isn't it?
I've read the first two volumes, and I'm already liking it more than the anime(which I've seen all)...maybe I'll read more, who knows.
Um Reflection was the last OVA wasn't it? I kind of hated it, mostly revising things and not really explaining anything, plus it was kind of apathic too...
Lucky you, to have read the manga or most of it biggrin.gif

--------------------
The Delirious Dreamy Airhead
~Queen of Shounen-ai~
An Open-Minded Perv & Member of G.O.O.P
user posted image
Here's the thread for you s-ai/yaoi fans:Shounen-ai Fans Unite!

+Quote Post
Ninie
post Nov 27 2004, 02:15 PM
Post #6

State Alchemist (Major)

I liked the second OVA... I love sentimental things.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Kihaku
post Nov 27 2004, 02:18 PM
Post #7

Brigadier General

Member No.: 1,360

You mean the one I was talking about?
I love anything full of emotion too, but that OVA was just.. pointless in my opinion. Plus the characters hadn't really aged at all, and my favourite Sanosuke, wasn't explained enough tongue.gif but that's just fangirl me talking.

--------------------
The Delirious Dreamy Airhead
~Queen of Shounen-ai~
An Open-Minded Perv & Member of G.O.O.P
user posted image
Here's the thread for you s-ai/yaoi fans:Shounen-ai Fans Unite!

+Quote Post
Ninie
post Nov 27 2004, 02:22 PM
Post #8

State Alchemist (Major)

I understand how you feel if you haven't read the manga, because the second (and last) OVA are a continuation of the manga more than the anime.

And Sano = my favorite, too happy.gif

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Hole
post Nov 27 2004, 02:27 PM
Post #9

Citizen

Member No.: 2,864

The manga and the anime aren't really too different up until the zombie guy saga. Then the anime sucks the life out of me. blink.gif

I've always liked Misao and Sano. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
xrninja
post Nov 27 2004, 02:32 PM
Post #10

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 501

i read the first two volumes in japanese, cause that's all i have XP i don't like how kenshin and kaoru are drawn that much, their faces are really heart-shaped. i used to be really into the anime, but things got boring after the shishio arc.

--------------------
- ON HIATUS UNTIL COLLEGE STOPS KICKING MY ASS -
ninja + quis = <3

+Quote Post
Artemis Winter
post Nov 27 2004, 06:26 PM
Post #11

Apprentice

Member No.: 2,515

Aww. My imouto starts threads. XD

Eh, the anime was dubbed...oddly...so I'm just being apathetic like that. I haven't watched any fansubs, but I just didn't like the anime. As for the manga- my sister'd know more about that than me, because I've only read the English releases. Lovely, though.

(Where'd she get scanlations? And how'd she get them before the manga was licenced, and without me knowing? >.>....)

--------------------
Royai fan! *waves flag frantically*
-----
GRAMMAR-CONSCIOUS AND BLOODY PROUD OF IT. if you be of the n00b type, go spork yourself, plzkthxbai.
-----
user posted image
I made this sig. Steal it and I smite j00.

+Quote Post
EmoSushi
post Nov 27 2004, 07:28 PM
Post #12

Citizen

Member No.: 1,821

Hey, Celira, I agree with you, the manga is better but I think so because I love Watsuki-sama's funny chibi faces. They're hilarious. But unfortunately I've only gotten about half-way through the whole series T_T. Ah well, maybe I can catch up by watching it on Cartoon Network or something...but that's gonna be a while before I can get back where I left off.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Artemis Winter
post Nov 28 2004, 05:55 PM
Post #13

Apprentice

Yeah, they're currently at a point on Cartoon Network where I know everything that happens and there's tons of filler. ^^;

The chibi-faces are priceless. XD

--------------------
-----
GRAMMAR-CONSCIOUS AND BLOODY PROUD OF IT. if you be of the n00b type, go spork yourself, plzkthxbai.
-----
user posted image

+Quote Post
Gashole
post Nov 28 2004, 06:57 PM
Post #14

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 685

Really? I never especially noticed the chibi faces of RK. (Meaning I don't really think they're that cute. ph34r.gif ) I don't like the too-angular faces and the really small eyes either (and Saitou has both) but other than that the artwork is actually pretty good.

+Quote Post
Artemis Winter
post Nov 28 2004, 07:16 PM
Post #15

Apprentice

Well, I didn't think the chibi faces were priceless for any measure of cute, they're just amusing.

RuroKen-Saitou is just...blah. Tooooo angular. I don't mind the eyes that much, as it's a bit of a change from the general over-largeness of anime eyes, but...he's pointy. I like the character, but they could've de-pointed him. XD

--------------------
-----
-----
user posted image

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th August 2016 - 03:14 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css