HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Most popular FMA pairings?, Please make sure to properly mark any spoilers! :)
Sakuyahanabi
post Jun 18 2011, 04:20 AM
Post #16

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 73,547

I think that 'outside fandom', among more casual readers, RoyAi, and especially EdWin is the most popular, simply because they're the most obvious. 'Inside fandom', RoyEd is popular, but so is any EdxMale pairing, from what I've seen. It all really depends on where you go, but RoyAi seems to be a bit more popular than EdWin (don't get me wrong here, EdWin is still very popular, but I guess people have a fascination with RoyAi, maybe because it's subtle, leaving things more open for interpretation).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TheDrummerWithTh...
post Jul 8 2011, 02:30 PM
Post #17

Citizen

Member No.: 82,285

QUOTE (Sakuyahanabi @ Jun 18 2011, 04:20 AM) *
I think that 'outside fandom', among more casual readers, RoyAi, and especially EdWin is the most popular, simply because they're the most obvious. 'Inside fandom', RoyEd is popular, but so is any EdxMale pairing, from what I've seen. It all really depends on where you go, but RoyAi seems to be a bit more popular than EdWin (don't get me wrong here, EdWin is still very popular, but I guess people have a fascination with RoyAi, maybe because it's subtle, leaving things more open for interpretation).

I think the main reason why so many people are fascinated with RoyAi is because while some things are implied, there is still a lot to their relationship that leaves a lot for the imagination. Well that's what I think anyway. I think that while RoyAi is very popular, EdWin may be the more popular on in my honest opinion.

+Quote Post
Sakuyahanabi
post Jul 8 2011, 03:03 PM
Post #18

Citizen

QUOTE (TheDrummerWithTheAutoMail @ Jul 8 2011, 03:30 PM) *
I think the main reason why so many people are fascinated with RoyAi is because while some things are implied, there is still a lot to their relationship that leaves a lot for the imagination. Well that's what I think anyway. I think that while RoyAi is very popular, EdWin may be the more popular on in my honest opinion.

No, I agree with you about RoyAi, and I also think that Ed/Winry is the more popular pairing overall, now when I really think about it. It's easy to say "RoyAi is the most popular" here, because on these forums, well, it is. But if you take into account of what's been shown in the manga/Brotherhood anime, and the fact that EdWin is more popular on many other sites, the opinion might differ a bit.

It's simply very easy to ship Ed/Winry. It probably helps that Arakawa very, very obviously ships them, too. When a romantic relationship is that heavily implied on a show, it's bound to be popular. The pairing (EdWin) may seem very typical in some ways, but it clearly works. Many people love the 'bickering best friends/childhood friend' type of love, and Ed/Winry has even more to it than that. The girl makes the boy function. Literally. They're both complete dorks, and so incredibly awkward and obvious around each other, yet still have angsty moments. Of course they score a great deal of supporters, based on these facts alone.

+Quote Post
TheDrummerWithTh...
post Jul 8 2011, 04:58 PM
Post #19

Citizen

Member No.: 82,285

QUOTE (Sakuyahanabi @ Jul 8 2011, 03:03 PM) *
No, I agree with you about RoyAi, and I also think that Ed/Winry is the more popular pairing overall, now when I really think about it. It's easy to say "RoyAi is the most popular" here, because on these forums, well, it is. But if you take into account of what's been shown in the manga/Brotherhood anime, and the fact that EdWin is more popular on many other sites, the opinion might differ a bit.

It's simply very easy to ship Ed/Winry. It probably helps that Arakawa very, very obviously ships them, too. When a romantic relationship is that heavily implied on a show, it's bound to be popular. The pairing (EdWin) may seem very typical in some ways, but it clearly works. Many people love the 'bickering best friends/childhood friend' type of love, and Ed/Winry has even more to it than that. The girl makes the boy function. Literally. They're both complete dorks, and so incredibly awkward and obvious around each other, yet still have angsty moments. Of course they score a great deal of supporters, based on these facts alone.

Well first off it's good to see a huge grip of RoyAi fans on these forums because they're a pairing I really enjoy for multiple reasons, but that's a different story for a different day, and most likely a different thread.

But back to the matter at hand, I agree with you on the reasons why it's easy to ship them as a pairing. I personally think that, like you said, it's very typical in some aspects, but even there it still works. And because it works, and it's two main characters too that I might add (I wouldn't say that Roy and Riza aren't major characters, but they're aren't the main main characters if that makes any sense) could contribute to it as well. I don't know how much, but it could contribute to the popularity. Is that the case with EdWin? Maybe, maybe not.

I hope some, if any, of that made some sort of sense.

+Quote Post
Sakuyahanabi
post Jul 8 2011, 11:47 PM
Post #20

Citizen

QUOTE (TheDrummerWithTheAutoMail @ Jul 8 2011, 05:58 PM) *
Well first off it's good to see a huge grip of RoyAi fans on these forums because they're a pairing I really enjoy for multiple reasons, but that's a different story for a different day, and most likely a different thread.

But back to the matter at hand, I agree with you on the reasons why it's easy to ship them as a pairing. I personally think that, like you said, it's very typical in some aspects, but even there it still works. And because it works, and it's two main characters too that I might add (I wouldn't say that Roy and Riza aren't major characters, but they're aren't the main main characters if that makes any sense) could contribute to it as well. I don't know how much, but it could contribute to the popularity. Is that the case with EdWin? Maybe, maybe not.

I hope some, if any, of that made some sort of sense.

There's nothing I can add to your 'main character' reasons, I think it makes perfect sense.
And I really enjoy RoyAi, too, but if you're not really looking for the romance aspect of their relationship, then I think it could be easy to dismiss them as close comrades only. Like said in this thread, it's subtle and things is left open for interpretation. EdWin is very obvious, hell I would even say that the pairing felt a bit forced (but I guess Your Mileage May Vary on that) almost like it was mandatory. I also think that could be one of the reasons for why it's also the more hated pairing. You really can't deny that it's there, no matter how much you may dislike it (and I hope I didn't go off-topic here ... )

+Quote Post
Cxille
post Jul 11 2011, 11:37 PM
Post #21

Citizen

Member No.: 82,420

I agree with many points Sakuyahanabi and TheDrummerWithTheAutoMail brought up here, but I honestly don't think there's a definite answer to this question.

I've been in some corners of the internet where RoyAi is more popular, places where EdWin is more popular, and then other places where people don't care about those pairings at all, and where the various slash pairings rules, instead. Then there's the countless of more 'casual' FMA readers, and we will never know which pairing(s) they might prefer, because they're never here to let us know.

But I agree, those pairings there's been most obvious in the show, is likely also the pairings most people ship. Going by that, we can say that the most popular het pairings would be EdWin, RoyAi, LingLanFan, and AlMei (not counting the various married couples) - out of those four, EdWin and RoyAi seems to be a lot more popular, probably because they've been hinted at more.

So, out of EdWin or RoyAi, which one is the most popular? I don't think we'll ever know for sure.

+Quote Post
SilverxRoy&R...
post Jul 29 2011, 04:21 PM
Post #22

Citizen

Member No.: 83,090

RoyXEd is the most popular.(I've seen a lot of doujinshi about it.) But I don't understand why. RoyXMaes also seems to be popular.(again there's a lot of doujinshi) Then, of course, RoyXRiza(but there's not a lot of doujinshi about this pairing, sadly)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th June 2016 - 04:45 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css