HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Most popular FMA pairings?, Please make sure to properly mark any spoilers! :)
Hikarioneza
post May 23 2011, 06:47 AM
Post #1

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 81,059

On these forums Royai seems to be the most popular pairing, but from what I've have seen in the fandom and the internet in general, the top 3 goes more or less like this;

Roy/Ed (for some reason I will never understand)
EdWin/Royai (tied, with EdWin being a bit more popular just about anywhere else than here)

... Does that seem about right? Also, does anyone know about the most popular pairings in japan? I have no idea why I'm curious about this, really. xD
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
A Pierrot's Aria
post May 23 2011, 11:30 PM
Post #2

Special Ops (Friendly Member Advisor)
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 68,926

Welcome to the board, Hikarioneza! hug.gif

To be honest, besides here, I tend to find that while RoyxEd is popular, Royai tends to be that little bit more popular. Probably closely followed by EdxWin. But then again, I don't really surf that many websites. So that said, I'm willing to bet that accurately gauging which of the couples is most popular is kind of hard; I guess it just depends on where on the internet you're looking.

And I have no idea what kind of couples that the Japanese fandom seem to like the most. ohmy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
FirstMoon
post May 24 2011, 04:43 AM
Post #3

Citizen

Member No.: 74,222

I want to make 2 categories

1) Not too inside of fandom

EdWin rules here.Since Royai is a bit more "hidden in lines"...I used to be in this side of fandom and crazy for EW however I met with Psallo and the real fandom,I became a Royai freak.

2)Fandom

All canon (cannon) pairings rule,and like in all fandoms yaoi,incest and crack obviously can be found.But Royai is a bit more popular,losely followed by EdWin

a.LJ fandom

b. Tumblr fandom

These two (a and b I mean) are clearly ruled by Royai.

So yeah,it change where you look at.If you look at somewhere yaoi is popular RoyEd can be seen.But otherwise,most of fandom is crazy for Royai and I love it.

But I think RoyEd and Royai are the most populars in Japan.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hikarioneza
post May 24 2011, 06:29 AM
Post #4

Citizen

Member No.: 81,059

QUOTE (FirstMoon @ May 24 2011, 01:43 PM) *
So yeah,it change where you look at.If you look at somewhere yaoi is popular RoyEd can be seen.But otherwise,most of fandom is crazy for Royai and I love it.

I guess it should be Royai > EdWin then.

It makes me sad that EdWin isn't more popular (Warning! Series Final Spoiler!! --->)than it is really, considering it's the main 'canon' pairing. Maybe the (FMA-1 CoS movie spoiler --->) first anime/movie has something to do with this, especially with the fact that the movie's director said Winry's main theme in that movie was to understand that Edward would never make her happy.

But then again, Arakawa (Warning! Series Final Spoiler!! --->) wanted to show that the two of them, in fact could be very happy together, so I don't know... mellow.gif

Oh, and thanks for the welcome. biggrin.gif

<Hello Hikarioneza, welcome to our board! biggrin.gif Since our board has members in various stages of watching or reading FMA series, and also we have many such visitors/guests who lurk and read our posts, we ask everyone in the forums to use Spoiler covers when posting spoiler contents. Please read our spoiler posting guidelines. ^^ Also, you can join specially designated EdxWin thread for FMA fans who read/watched series final, in our Spoiler Zone if you'd like to talk more about EdxWin without using "Series Final Spoiler Warning" smile.gif ~ Board Staff>

+Quote Post
Dark-Winds
post May 24 2011, 07:41 AM
Post #5

Apprentice

Member No.: 75,903

I would say that Royai is probably the most popular pairing within the series. I see a whole lot of it on every website I go on.

And I know that the Royai thread here has more posts than most of the other threads.

I would say that Royai comes first, then Edwin, followed by Royed.

--------------------

Roy x Riza - Edward x Winry - Ling x Lan Fan - Alphonse x Mei - Havoc x Rebecca

+Quote Post
Rainshine
post May 25 2011, 04:09 PM
Post #6

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 64,866

I'm gonna agree with most everybody: It seems to me that both Royai and RoyEd are wildly popular across the internet. I think there's just something about Roy that makes fans want to pair him with people. 8|

--------------------

+Quote Post
RadicalDreamer
post May 26 2011, 04:45 PM
Post #7

Citizen

Member No.: 75,904

I don't know about Royai being more popular.
I checked on Fanfiction.Net and RoyEd clearly have more stories about them. It is also very popular (much much more than Royai... to my dismay) on the japanese Deviantart (and it's more or less the same thing on Deviantart...), Pixiv.Net.
That's why I was (pleasantly) surprised to see that Royai is the most popular pairing on this forum. Maybe the RoyEd fans are hiding somewhere else laugh.gif . Don't know.
What I know is the fandom majorly seems to accept and love Royai. It's nice... because I was expecting some complaints (majorly because they're a forbidden love kind of pair, or because of the Hughes/Roy and Ed/Roy slashers that maybe would find Riza too boring or "getting in the way"). I heard harsh (and often unfair... mainly caused by pesky ship wars I guess) complaints lots of times in a few fandoms, and while I heard a tiny bit (really TINY) of those with Royai/FMA... I don't think Royai gets a lot of hate. Getting the most fandomhate seems to be Winry's and EdWin's (and Royed's) job in the fandom (even if I think that both EdWin and Winry doesn't deserve the hate they get... not the manga version at least).

Roy indeed seems to be some sort of fandom bicycle laugh.gif ... but he was asking for it in the show/manga anyway (his ladies' man reputation plus his strong loyalty to his men... and he's just a fun guy).

EDIT : Oups. I think I double-posted. I'm really sorry.
^ Double post is gone. Please feel free to delete this after you read. ^^ ~ Mod

--------------------

+Quote Post
A Pierrot's Aria
post May 27 2011, 05:23 AM
Post #8

Special Ops (Friendly Member Advisor)
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 68,926

Thinking about it a little more, I can't help but feel that looking at any website on the net could be pretty misleading (especially when it comes to art/fanfic websites). I say this for two reasons: A reason is perhaps more prominent on fanfiction.net. If you simply look for "Roy and Ed" fanfics, this could easily be including friendship or parental fictions, or even just a mention of which two characters are generally the focus of the story. So this may make it seem as though there are a lot more stories for RoyxEd as a couple than there actually are.

But another reason is because there are also those fans who aren't as vocal or don't really talk in depth about their favourite couple that much. And some may choose not to write fanfictions or draw pictures showing that they like the couple.

For example, I don't think many people know that my favourite couple is actually EdxWin, even though I comment on the Royai thread a lot more. And I also don't write fanfiction. And while I do draw, I rarely share my pictures on the internet.

ETA: I added this thread to the list of threads on our FMA Character Discussion Forum Threads Directories. happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dark-Winds
post May 27 2011, 08:10 AM
Post #9

Apprentice

Member No.: 75,903

QUOTE (A Pierrot's Aria @ May 27 2011, 08:23 AM) *
If you simply look for "Roy and Ed" fanfics, this could easily be including friendship or parental fictions, or even just a mention of which two characters are generally the focus of the story. So this may make it seem as though there are a lot more stories for RoyxEd as a couple than there actually are.

Yeah, I was actually just going to say that. I even remember seeing a few fanfictions where it was listed as "Roy and Edward" But it was actually a RoyxRiza and EdwardxWinry fic. And actually, there are less RoyxEdward fic than RoyxRiza fics if you search it as "romance."

And like what A Pierrot's Aria was saying, some fans choose not to be as vocal. Or they might support the couple, but not be as into it as something else. For example, I love Royai and Fullmetal Alchemist and talk about it all the time, but what people might not know is that I also support Heiji and Kazuha as a couple from Detective Conan, but I never talk about them, draw them or write about them.

Here's an example of a person who drew all of their favorite couples, but in all honesty, they don't even talk about or draw most of them. There's even Royai and Edwin in this picture and I didn't even know that they supported them! biggrin.gif : http://milady666.deviantart.com/art/The-Be...uples-210264747

So basically it all depends on how vocal the person is about it. And I get the feeling, especially with Edwin and Royai, that more people would support those since they are (Warning! End of Series Spoiler!! --->)canon. Especially people who don't talk about them as much.

--------------------

Roy x Riza - Edward x Winry - Ling x Lan Fan - Alphonse x Mei - Havoc x Rebecca

+Quote Post
RoyxRizaFan
post May 28 2011, 10:52 AM
Post #10

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 54,333

I agree with all that's been said, and pertaining to this forum, I think Roy/Riza and Ed/Winry are more popular because it's more of a manga-centered forum; most of the active members have read FMA or watched Brotherhood, and for the most part, I've seen that the majority of Ed/Roy fans have only watched anime 1. Which makes sense because those two had more going on in the first anime than Ed and Winry did XD But in Arakawa's work they're undeniably straight, so there aren't as many manga/Brotherhood fans who are into Ed/Roy...simply because there was nothing to suggest it in Arakawa's work.

--------------------

Avatar by Michiyo and signature by me.
Fan Fiction, Fan Art
FMAobsessed Wrote:
Bradley: "Oh by the way I made Breda my personal assistant."
Roy: "WHAT NO! I AM IN IMMENSE SHOCK!"

+Quote Post
Guest_~Dark Flames~_*
post May 29 2011, 09:42 PM
Post #11

Guests

I, too, agree with all that's been said. I don't really understand why there are so many RoyEd fans, not that I extremely HATE that pairing, but because I don't think they've connected very much in the manga and anime. Yes, they do like to tease and annoy each other whenever possible and they look out for each other in their own unique ways but I really think EdWin and Royai should get more attention than RoyEd. I even think Ed x Al deserves more fans than RoyEd (not that I'm a yaoi fan just to be clear). They share more solid bonds and have deeper affections for each other as clearly shown in the manga and anime which RoyEd didn't provide as much. No offense meant to any RoyEd fans of course.

Since I didn't really do much research on this matter I can't exactly say which pairing is more popular but, based on what I have seen, Royai and EdWin seem to have the upper hand. Royai seems to be the bigger pairing currently in this forum but EdWin is comfortably in second place, followed by other slightly less popular pairings. Oh yeah, Hohenheim/Trisha and Ling/Lan Fan seem like favourites too. smile.gif However, I think this really depends on where you look, as it differs from site to site. Each website has a different audience with different preferences so an exact answer would be difficult and near impossible. Plus not all fans will publicly declare their favorite pairings so it's hard to say.

Actually, I'm really wondering if there are any RoyEd or yaoi fans on this forum? Seems like most people are interested in Royai and EdWin. Just out of curiosity. smile.gif

EDIT (sorry I should have explained better xP): Yes, I agree with what is said below (I know it's not directed towards me. I'm only clarifying my post from long ago smile.gif ) that, romantically and sexually speaking, Ed/Al is a definite "NO" and I do not ship the two in any way. However, I have some friends who do ship them, but maybe not in a completely sexual way (which yes...would be disturbing), but leaning towards a more "cute" and "brotherly" way, however much sense that makes. And in that case, from an objective perspective I can understand why the Ed/Al pairing exists even with its significant creep factor. RoyEd only confuses me because of its immense popularity compared to how relatively very little material there was to build on. Also, this pairing is almost always placed in a sexual situation unless stated otherwise which is slightly creepy considering how young Ed is. It just didn't seem to make any sense to me, especially back then. Personally, although I respect yaoi fans and people with other preferences, I prefer the canon pairings which I think are better developed. Just my opinion though and hopefully this makes sense tongue.gif (I also went back and fixed how I capitalized some ship names before as it kinda bothered me haha...hope that's okay.)

+Quote Post
Tombow
post May 29 2011, 10:09 PM
Post #12

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

QUOTE (~Dark Flames~ @ May 30 2011, 12:42 AM) *
Actually, I'm really wondering if there are any Royed or yaoi fans on this forum?
Answer from admin: XDD
Yes, we do have EdRoy/RoyEd fans among our members, including a couple of currently active members. They vary from die-hard EdxRoy/RoyxEd "Yaoi" shippers to Ed/Roy "friends" shippers, but anyway, we do have them on our board. smile.gif
As for Yaoi fans, I think our Yaoi thread (in General Anime forum) is 100 plus pages long, if that gives you some idea. Although, I noticed that that thread hasn't been active for a while. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
RoyxRizaFan
post Jun 10 2011, 08:08 AM
Post #13

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 54,333

QUOTE (~Dark Flames~ @ May 30 2011, 12:42 AM) *
II even think Ed x Al deserves more fans than Royed (not that I'm a yaoi fan just to be clear). They share more solid bonds and have deeper affections for each other as clearly shown in the manga and anime which Royed didn't provide as much.

I think the reason why Ed/Al fans tend to be scarcer than Roy/Ed fans is because Ed and Al have a very deep and loving bond, but not a romantic one. At all. They're brothers, and the relationship between siblings has many, many layers to it, which makes their love for another deep and meaningful but by no means sexual. On the other hand, BONES basically shipped Roy/Ed and liked to put out wallpapers of the two of them in creepy poses, or add odd shipping scenes, suggesting a romantic or sexual relationship could be possible between the two.

Plus incest has been illegal for a couple centuries now. And is downright wrong. I mean, though I donít ship Roy/Ed, I can get why some people do b/c of anime 1, but Ed/Al honestly makes no sense to me in any way shape or form. Itís possible for two men to have a close bond without it being sexual or romantic, but I feel that often times fans just canít see that far (and thatís the great thing about Arakawa, unlike a lot of mangaka, she DOES create original, deep, and complicated relationships between all of her cast, not just her couples).

(and Dark Flames, this isn't directed at you at all, I know you don't agree with these pairs I'm just branching off youtr quote happy.gif )

--------------------

Avatar by Michiyo and signature by me.
Fan Fiction, Fan Art
FMAobsessed Wrote:
Bradley: "Oh by the way I made Breda my personal assistant."
Roy: "WHAT NO! I AM IN IMMENSE SHOCK!"

+Quote Post
Envy's Lady
post Jun 11 2011, 10:27 PM
Post #14

Apprentice

Member No.: 73,733

I'd say the most popular straight pairings are Riza/Roy and Ed/Winry and the most popular yaoi one is Roy/Ed.

I don't think any yuri pairings in FMA are that popular....never really hear much about them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
KimbleeWorshippe...
post Jun 15 2011, 10:54 AM
Post #15

Citizen

Member No.: 75,852

It's hard to say what's the single most popular pairing. I agree with Dark-Winds in the sense that some people aren't really vocal about their favorite pairings. But I guess that could be said for any pairing, be it RoyEd, Royai, or Edwin. So it's hard to tell. It's just too vague.

Overall, I agree that those three are the most popular. As far as I've seen, RoyEd is always popular (which kind of makes me sick). But lately I feel like I've been seeing more Royai than Edwin. It's almost like Edwin's fazing out a little bit? I could be wrong.

If I had to put an order to it, I'd say RoyEd and Royai are duking it out for the number one spot, while Edwin's sitting in the number three spot.

If I had it my way though, it'd be Royai as number one, Edwin as number two, and RoyEd wouldn't exist. xD

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th June 2016 - 06:23 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css