HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Thread for Royai fans who read Arakawa comment in FMA manga artbook III (Warning! Possible Major Royai Spoiler!), Come in ONLY if you do not mind getting such SPOILER!
Dark-Winds
post May 16 2011, 05:58 PM
Post #91

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 75,903

Won't he have so many good qualified bodyguards? He needed Riza because there wasn't so much option and now a nation's army is under his command why would he have problems with finding a good one?

I would just like to reply to this particular statement.

I think in your last post you made a lot of really good points about how Riza could make as a very useful first lady to Roy. I really liked a lot of what you had to say. And I can see a lot of that.

However, I can't help but disagree with this last bit.

Roy has Riza as his bodyguard because he knows that he can trust his back to her. She isn't "replaceable" to him. I don't think Roy could ever find someone who he trusted as much as Riza to protect him, even an entire army.

Let's look at it like this:

You know how Roy said to Riza "if I ever stray from my path then shoot me"?

At one point in the manga, Riza does, in fact, almost carry out this deed when Roy has lost himself to vengeance. She almost killed him. She probably would have done it too if he had killed Envy.

Now let's say that something like that were to happen again later, when he is the Fuhrer. Is an army of bodyguards, or a single bodyguard going to kill the President? Most likely not. Some replaceable bodyguard, or even an army of bodyguards, do not have the same trust and bond that Roy shares with Riza.

Riza knows the risks she would be taking by killing Roy, but she knows that it would be for the better of not only the entire country, but for Roy as well. In that way, she would be being his bodyguard.

But it is that matter of trust that I mentioned earlier as well. I don't think Roy could give just anyone that same amount of trust that he puts upon Riza. It isn't a matter of finding a well qualified body guard, it's a matter of who the bodyguard is. And to Roy, there isn't anyone who can replace Riza in that way.

For Riza to be the First Lady, I can only imagine it would be more difficult to carry out a task like this one. Protecting Roy is Riza's main priority. She wants to put him before herself. I mean, we don't exactly see Mrs. Bradley doing what Riza does. But like you said, it depends on the person.

I hope that makes sense.

I personally believe that Riza would not quit her job s Roy's body guard and personal aide, and I think that their relationship is just so much more meaningful, beautiful and deeper in that way. It just shows that they would put protecting each other and watching each other's backs before their own personal wants.

But that's just my opinion. We all have our own thoughts, right? smile.gif

--------------------

Roy x Riza - Edward x Winry - Ling x Lan Fan - Alphonse x Mei - Havoc x Rebecca
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MustangSally
post May 20 2011, 10:00 AM
Post #92

Citizen

Member No.: 73,730

I have to agree with Dark Winds. I mean Roy could have found other qualified body guards NOW(meaning during the manga) but it was always Riza because it isn't just about "yeah I'm willing to jump in front of a bullet for the president" like Secret Service, there is a level of trust and responsibility that she has that he'd never give to anyone else.

When Roy becomes Fuhrer he will work to stop war. This means he will need Hawkeye for something else (for example,MAKING PEACE?) more than shooting and killing people.First Lady is like the peace ambassador of the country.If he wants a bodyguard so much he will have the whole nation's army. Riza is not the only sniper there.

I disagree here because Peacemakers are very often the most likely to be targeted for assassination. There are many factions who do not see peace as a good thing, for them. They want the power and/or money that war brings them or they just don't like change. As Fuhrer, Roy would be in more danger than ever and there may well be people in the military who don't agree with his designs for peace and who might plot to overthrow him so there would be very few in the military he could really trust to have his back.

So as I see it Riza would actually be needed more than ever.

I always felt that it was sort of unspoken thing but that Riza understood that Roy's "goal" would never be reached, not completely, or at least not before they are both nearing old age. Even once he became Fuhrer, well then he needs to work for the goals that being Fuhrer allows him.

Being Fuhrer wasn't the last step in that goal, being Fuhrer is the step in the goal what would allow Roy the power to help carry out his larger goals. Roy wants to bring about a certain amount of cultural change as well as governmental change and neither of those is easy and both take a long time to do successfully. I mean it was something like 14 years between the Declaration of Independent and the writing and earliest approvals of the US Constitution. During all that time, besides winning the Revolution for Independence there was all kinds of various wrangling over who did what, who had the power to do what, there were other localized rebellions, etc. What Roy wants to do is pretty much a life time commitment and Riza also has a commitment of her own. They've already shown that there are things they consider more important than their own romantic wants, goals that are more important to them. Not because they don't love each other but, in a way, because they do.

+Quote Post
LadyNorbert
post May 29 2011, 07:04 AM
Post #93

Citizen

Member No.: 80,327

Finally got all caught up with this thread, and I agree with the sentiment that Roy and Riza are more concerned with the fulfillment of Roy's goals than they are with being in an open relationship.

(Do I think something's going on behind the scenes? Not before the Promised Day. But AFTER that...when they came so close to losing each other...yes, maybe!)

I honestly think that one of two things will happen. Riza's grandpa Grumman is the Fuhrer now, and we know he wants them together, so I think it's very possible that he'll change the regulations if he can, and enable them to still be officer and aide even with the same last name. If he doesn't, Arakawa has said that Roy does eventually become Fuhrer (and she even said that she might tell us that story, which I am SERIOUSLY hoping will be in FMA Chronicles), so perhaps once he has the top spot he either changes the regs or changes Riza's position somehow in order to allow them to be together.

--------------------
The Elemental Chess Trilogy - an unofficial FMA sequel
Flowers of Antimony ~ Brilliancy ~ The Game of Three Generals
Prequel: Triumvirate

The trilogy at TV Tropes

+Quote Post
Sakuyahanabi
post Jun 26 2011, 05:13 AM
Post #94

Citizen

Member No.: 73,547

Ok, I really want to get this right, because I'm slightly unsure about the meaning of her comment in the artbook - Wasn't the rule against fraternization not just implied by Arakawa to be the reason for them not being together? Or did she really outright say "It's the only reason for them not getting married"

+Quote Post
Turdaewen
post Jun 26 2011, 07:33 PM
Post #95

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,395

QUOTE (Sakuyahanabi @ Jun 26 2011, 09:13 AM) *
Ok, I really want to get this right, because I'm slightly unsure about the meaning of her comment in the artbook - Wasn't the rule against fraternization not just implied by Arakawa to be the reason for them not being together? Or did she really outright say "It's the only reason for them not getting married"

Actually, neither. She didn't implied that the fraternization rules were a reason for them not being together: she said that. Explicitly. But she never said it to be the only reason. It's just a reason. There may be others.

But, what we can take from what she said it that this reason is, probably, one of the most complicated/important or with the biggest repercussion, or she wouldn't have stated it as an answer to the question of them not being together... Let me explain it better:

If Arakawa really didn't think Roy and Riza as a romantic pair (whatever relationship status they might have, but "in love with eachother"), to state something as "I cannot marry them because the military regulations would make it impossible for them to remain commander and subordinate" would be a very poor choice of words.
She giving that as an answer does imply she considers them to be 'cannon', or she would have answered that differently, cause noone who thinks someone aren't a 'couple' would have come up with a 'reason' as such: it would be a lot simpler to just state "They don't like eachother that way" or something to that effect.

If she did answer the question like she did, it means she believes that this "reason" has grounds and importance... it has weight concerning the matter. Why would she mention military regulations for no reason? If she did, it means that the military regulations are "in the way" of the matter... If they weren't considered a couple, how can one have an "impediment" to something that doesn't exists?

In short, it's not to try to 'analyse' Arakawa's thoughts, but to state that: people always say things in a certain way for a logic reason, and noone would answer such a question like she did if they didn't thought them as 'romantic pair". It's just wouldn't make any sense to state such a thing without 'grounds'. So, we can be sure that THAT, not something else (as something like "they don't like eachother"), is a reason for the situation.

--------------------

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
"By the power of truth I, while living, have conquered the universe"
Faust, Göethe

+Quote Post
Sakuyahanabi
post Jun 27 2011, 01:30 AM
Post #96

Citizen

Member No.: 73,547

^ Thanks for answering in, well, the best way possible; I guess I tried to find some 'hidden meaning' in her comment, but what she said was actually made very clear. And yes, Just like you said, if she didn't consider them 'canon', then she obviously wouldn't have worded it in that way at all. closedeyes.gif

+Quote Post
Turdaewen
post Jun 27 2011, 06:25 AM
Post #97

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,395

QUOTE (Sakuyahanabi @ Jun 27 2011, 05:30 AM) *
^ Thanks for answering in, well, the best way possible; I guess I tried to find some 'hidden meaning' in her comment, but what she said was actually made very clear. And yes, Just like you said, if she didn't consider them 'canon', then she obviously wouldn't have worded it in that way at all. closedeyes.gif

Yeah, you see, why would Abr bring up military regulations if they didn't even like eachother? Why would come up with such an excuse when she would have such stronger reasons?

--------------------

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
"By the power of truth I, while living, have conquered the universe"
Faust, Göethe

+Quote Post
RoyxRizaFan4ever
post Jul 10 2011, 09:12 PM
Post #98

Citizen

Member No.: 30,946

I'm just going to toss in a random comment.

It's a shame that it doesn't seem Roy and Riza would be able to have children for some time, if at all, down the line with their goals. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they should give up those goals to 'settle down'. But it's going to take a long time for them to accomplish their goals and by the time they've accomplished them, it would probably be too late. I think they would have been wonderful parents...

+Quote Post
Miss MP
post Jul 20 2011, 10:52 AM
Post #99

Citizen

Member No.: 69,722

See, I simply can't see them being the typical couple, ever. Not to be pessimistic or cruel, but they have some serious demons in the closet that are never going to disappear. War has permeated their daily lives for many years and arguably has altered them permanently. I honestly do not know if they can wash their hands of the blood - redemption and atonement, such prevalent themes in the series, may or may not be possible. Perhaps they can make things right by doing what they need to do - stand trial, build the civilizations and families they have ruined from the ground up, alter the future of the country. I'm sure that's a slow process that takes immense time and effort. All the while, they are likely hoping that what they do really will "make up" for the atrocities committed.

Children, even marriage, take a different sort of effort. I am not saying they wouldn't be willing, but they may not have the capacity to do so. Their goal in this manga has always, /always/ been action - the fate of the country, the military, justice - and it's possible they don't know how to do anything else. They may feel guilty considering luxuries when they had a hand in making others suffer (and this has been alluded to before); the same may go for children. Bringing children into an incomplete world, they may not feel that they should raise children in that environment, especially when they are so deeply intertwined with the sociopolitical goings-on of their country. They aren't civilians, they don't have that luxury right now, and their mindset has definitely been crafted from the military, the war, the life-and-death struggle, and the political unrest with which they have lived.

They are the type of people (IMO, feel free to digress) that would have to put 100% effort into raising that child properly, and would also have to at the very least, cope with their feelings of guilt. They would feel they deserve to bring the child into the world and deserve to have happiness - and that is an immense hurdle for them to break through.

It would be beautiful and nerve-wracking if they were to embark on that path. There's simply a lot of groundwork to be laid before that happens, if it does.

--------------------
Fanfiction |FictionPress

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 5 6 7
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2016 - 11:39 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css