HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Transmutation circles in FMA, How do they work? Explaining transmutation circles found in FMA, Questions welcome! :)
Tombow
post May 13 2011, 10:13 PM
Post #16

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

I know this is not from FMA-1 anime, but if you can, could you give us your insight/opinion on how these transmutation circles on Al's gloves (in FMA:CoS movie) might work?

Here is the pic: (this is the best pic I can find. ^^)

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rainshine
post May 18 2011, 05:15 PM
Post #17

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Group: Members
Member No.: 64,866

Ohman, alchemist symbols. <3 I've really loved reading through this thread! If you don't mind my asking; where/how did you learn all of this? :0 I'm only asking because I really find this interesting and wouldn't mind looking a bit into it myself. c:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nature Path Alch...
post May 21 2011, 07:52 PM
Post #18

Citizen

Member No.: 78,623

to tombow, sorry, the picture is too hard to see sad.gif I cant isolate some of the symbols

to rainshine:
http://chemistry.about.com/od/periodictabl...lchemy-Symbols/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alchemical_symbol
http://alchemysymbols.org/
google images tongue.gif

--------------------

These 4 elements build the world we live in. in transmutation circles these are used for two things:
1:controlling the element
2:looking AWESOME
Get your own transmutation circle made by posting a request on the thread here
If you have attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an
array, copy and paste this in your signature.

+Quote Post
Tombow
post May 21 2011, 08:42 PM
Post #19

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

@Nature Path Alchemist -Yeah, I was afraid that symbols might not be clear enough on that pic. ^^ I understand, and thank you for checking anyway. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Zomgproniss
post May 27 2011, 08:47 AM
Post #20

Citizen

Member No.: 81,173

How about berry the choppers soul bonded to his armour? Please explain in detail tongue.gif

+Quote Post
EdokunEdo
post May 27 2011, 03:43 PM
Post #21

Apprentice

Member No.: 75,434

Lol thats the Slicers not Barry The chopper

--------------------
"Sup" - Cry

+Quote Post
Zomgproniss
post May 27 2011, 11:19 PM
Post #22

Citizen

Well whatever, please do this one then while I find Barry the choppers tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Nature Path Alch...
post May 28 2011, 05:19 AM
Post #23

Citizen

Member No.: 78,623

this is barry's
would you still like slicer's done?

anyway, the rectangle with the line through it in the middle, I think, represents copper, being malleable and changeable. on either side on the outside of the circle and linking lines represent the soul. the text is probably a sort of rune meant to convey a bond between metal and soul. This links to barry's character that uses a blade in battle and uses that and the desire to kill that comes with it his reason for existence, as blades are often called steel in metaphoric terms. the arrow in the middle is a representative of that steel.

--------------------

These 4 elements build the world we live in. in transmutation circles these are used for two things:
1:controlling the element
2:looking AWESOME
Get your own transmutation circle made by posting a request on the thread here
If you have attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an
array, copy and paste this in your signature.

+Quote Post
Zomgproniss
post May 28 2011, 07:33 AM
Post #24

Citizen

Ok sweet and yea do slicers as well please and thank

+Quote Post
hagane-girl
post May 29 2011, 06:08 AM
Post #25

Citizen

Member No.: 32,247

QUOTE (Nature Path Alchemist @ Apr 21 2011, 04:17 PM) *
Ah, a classic

This has actually been done many times on the internet, and is identifiable as the human transmutation circle used by edward and alphonse elric trying to revive their mother. It works because each of the elements symbols represents a part of the human body (the outer ones), with one missing. I would do this but there is one i found a while ago that does it much better than i could, as a full analysis has been done on every aspect. it can be found At this site : <a href="http://rurushu.wordpress.com/2010/09/02/alchemy-indepth-the-human-transmutation-circle/" target="_blank">http://rurushu.wordpress.com/2010/09/02/al...utation-circle/</a>

Hope this helps (this is just such a big one to do and this was a much better explanation that i found)

omg somebody reads my site lol. ilu. <3

good job with this thread btw, glad to see i'm not the only one bored enough to research all these stuff about alchemy. it's all very interesting. i showed it to other people before and they were like "how bored are you?" lol.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Great Wanni Alch...
post Sep 22 2011, 06:10 PM
Post #26

Citizen

Member No.: 84,780

Attached File  FMA_Transmutation_Circle_by_Doc_inc.png ( 254.93K ) Number of downloads: 14

I was wondering on this, what does the symbol on the right mean? The one that looks like a double edged ax with a circle on top.

+Quote Post
reason
post Sep 30 2011, 03:12 AM
Post #27

Citizen

Member No.: 83,881

I'm wondering if there's any kind of guide for the geometry, or if it's just people's interpretations of what the artist intended. The only reference I've found to circles in actual alchemy is a picture of squaring the circle. It's an impossible geometrical construction. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Michael_..._Emblem_21.jpeg

+Quote Post
Archeia
post Sep 30 2011, 06:34 AM
Post #28

Citizen

Member No.: 83,852

Apparently, with research, that symbol apparently is apparently the basic shape for Alchemy:

To quote, "This simple 17th century "sign" illustrates the blending of geometric shapes, elemental symbols and astrological signs. Each part representing the various "elements" and forces needed for magical work in the quest for physical transformation and spiritual illumination and immortality. Many medieval alchemists based their philosophies on mystical traditions rooted in the Kabbala (Jewish mysticism), Hermetic magic and the occult practices of ancient civilizations such as Egypt and China. See Philosopher's Stone and Phoenix."

Your best bet is to look at occult symbols, the real alchemy and the Sefira (if I'm not wrong) of the Kabbalah.

...If...you put it in FMA terms and see how the Philosopher's stone is made and connect it with that illustration...it suddenly makes sense.

I'm going to take it apart:

Circle means heaven/unity/perfection/womb. God is everywhere and nowhere.
Triangle means fire, if we put it in Kabbala terms or religiously, the triangle represents The Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. The Mind, The Body and The Spirit. If I'm not wrong, the Father. (an upside down triangle is female)

Square with a circle inside

This explains it better than I could:
The circle in the square represent heaven and earth coming together (a great temple symbol) (also in China's terms from what I gathered). The heavens are often described as a bowl and often symbolized by a circle. In paintings, God is often depicted as laying out the heavens with a compass and the earth with a square. The square is made with a square and represents the earth which is often described as having four corners. The temple is a place that represents the union of heaven and earth, and where heavenly beings (Angels & Jesus Christ) literally come.

TLDR It's the symbolism of heaven and earth united.

Then add in the images of God, humans, and it suddenly makes sense.

Overall, I believe that symbol/emblem means either immortality or rebirth. mostly immortality.

--------------------
Choo choo!

+Quote Post
reason
post Oct 4 2011, 12:01 PM
Post #29

Citizen

Member No.: 83,881

That's interesting, but squaring the circle is actually a mathematical exercise. Any symbolism attributed to it is adding meaning to something that was already created. It's not even that important, since my question was if there's any guide for creating the geometry of circles as seen in FMA. Nature Path Alchemist made a bunch of circles, but there doesn't seem to be any method to making the lines and shapes outside of the artist's own meaning.

+Quote Post
Archeia
post Oct 4 2011, 04:07 PM
Post #30

Citizen

Member No.: 83,852

Well the square inside a circle in alchemy was actually based on Chinese philosophy which strengthens the origin interpretation from Alchemy. I would have to see Nature Path's Alchemist's circle to see where you're getting at though!

(And Alchemy came first before those mathematical geometry if I'm not wrong?) I remember that in original alchemy that transmutation circles are actually representation of particles, protons and neutrons.

--------------------
Choo choo!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd July 2016 - 12:45 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css