Reply to this topicStart new topic
FMA Couples and the Fandom
Toby-Chan
post Jul 16 2006, 11:17 AM
Post #1

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,284

These comments originated in the Ed x Heidrich thread, but I think these comments were going way off topic, but they're interesting thoughts, hence I split them into this thread. happy.gif Be aware, this is NOT the Which FMA Fan-made Pairings Can't You Stand, And, Why? thread.

In this thread, feel free to discuss the FMA fandom's attitudes when it comes to pairings and why they think this way. For example, why do they choose to like or dislike a particular pairing? Why do they act the way they do? etc. (This can apply to both hetrosexual and homosexual couples)- A Pierrot's Aria ~ 28/2/11

QUOTE (Nepharski @ Jul 16 2006, 10:44 AM) *
You know people, not every single Anime duo is just in cahoots to get into each other's pants. That may come as quite a shock to some of you, I'm certain, but it's time. "Welcome to real life!"

I'm sure the Roiai fans would gladly disagree with that sentiment.

But wait, Lol, they're het. Men and women are always in it for the sex. NEVARMIND!

No, seriously, people know this. That's why it is fanon. Most fans of normal-standard 'unlikely' pairings have full knowledge of the workings of platonic relationships in the canon of the fiction.

But you know what? It's just that. Fiction. I know some people are very offended when others supposedly "**** up" their beloved canon, and there are varying levels of that, from the elitists who think any fan writers/artists should burn in hell, to those who are squicked by the thought of fan hentai, and so forth.
It seems most fans against yaoi, are generally heterosexual males who are personally bothered by the thought of gay relationships; usually are okay with their existence, but just don't want to think about it, so they feel a little violated by the thought that characters that they like, possibly relate to, could be thought of as gay. It's uncomfortable. It is similar with girls, since, as a Winry/Rose fan I've seen my fair share of 'eeew lezbians!!!11', but it's a bit less common. Whether that means girls are less easily grossed out, or just more comfortable with their sexuality... I dunno.

My point?

It's fandom. It's a tiny subculture that practically nobody understands outside of its participants. That means there are a lot of things within it that are hard to understand- the OTP wars, the weird fetishes, the crazy fangirls, and the coverage of strange and unlikely relationships.

In other words- chill out. There are some battles that are best left uninitiated, especially in something so inconsequential as fandom pseudo-incest-yaoi-whatever. The most that patronizing and chastising the silliness of fangirl behaviors is going to do is reassure your own 'sanity' as well as that of others who agree with you, and if that helps you sleep at night, fine.

But as someone with a great deal of experience with fangirls knows- they don't stop but by their own accord. Let it be.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nepharski
post Jul 16 2006, 11:52 AM
Post #2

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 23,257

QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Jul 16 2006, 11:17 AM) [snapback]422461[/snapback]
But as someone with a great deal of experience with fangirls knows- they don't stop but by their own accord. Let it be.

Fangirls don't scare me. They're all talk. They can rant all day about the benefits of their fandom, but that doesn't change the fact that these sorts of pairs popping up all over the place really annoy me. I mean, they're everywhere! Any time you have two Anime males or females present at one time, it's sex time! I'm surprised I haven't seen someone trying to pull off a HohoxEd.

I'm fully aware that these are the excesses of fandom. Still annoys me all the same.

--------------------
Attention Manga Lust fans:
Lust is dead. Finished. Kaput. Joined the Choir Invisible. Roy Mustang incinerated her repeatedly until her Philosopher's Stone dried up and dissolved into nothingness ("Mu" for you Japanese cultural enthusiasts). And she will remain killed off, written out of the plot. Greed was reincarnated because Father saved his Philosopher's Stone and had a guinea pig on hand. Lust is gone. Stop trying to play God with the plot line and bring her back at every possibly junction.
In the event that Hiromu Arakawa can skillfully maneuver around this narrative plot hole, I will eat my words with a pinch of salt.
Nepharski - Our first, last, and hopeful not only line of defense against bad Homunculi theories.

My LiveJournal, because I'm a closet conformist

+Quote Post
Toby-Chan
post Jul 16 2006, 02:21 PM
Post #3

Gallery Mod Emeritus

QUOTE(Nepharski @ Jul 16 2006, 11:52 AM) [snapback]422473[/snapback]

QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Jul 16 2006, 11:17 AM) [snapback]422461[/snapback]

Fangirls don't scare me. They're all talk. They can rant all day about the benefits of their fandom, but that doesn't change the fact that these sorts of pairs popping up all over the place really annoy me. I mean, they're everywhere! Any time you have two Anime males or females present at one time, it's sex time! I'm surprised I haven't seen someone trying to pull off a HohoxEd.

I'm fully aware that these are the excesses of fandom. Still annoys me all the same.

Sweetie, anytime any two anime characters are present at one time, it's sex time. It isn't solely a matter of whether it's 'teh ghey' or not. (Yaoi fangirls just happen to be the more vocal bunch. They can be rather annoying when they bring it to the wrong places.)

Matter of fact, I've seen a lot more odd and random straight pairings than I have of lesbian pairings, which is disappointing. (FMA needs more lesbians! Yargh!)

I'm not saying fangirls should scare you. But really, they have their own comms, their own thread topics, which they make and it is your own choice whether or not to visit them. I'm not sure what you mean by 'popping up all over the place'. Unless you're being assailed by fangirls and beaten over the head with anthroyaoirapeincestshota doujinshi while making your way to the mailbox in the morning.

By all means, be annoyed. I'm sure you have your own absurd and harmless hobbies as well.

(Hoho x Ed? Actually rather popular. Has its own community on LJ. Then again, so does Ed x Mei.)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nepharski
post Jul 16 2006, 03:34 PM
Post #4

Whatever you say, but I've only ever happened upon yuri and yaoi fanart here.
QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Jul 16 2006, 02:21 PM) [snapback]422512[/snapback]
I'm not saying fangirls should scare you. But really, they have their own comms, their own thread topics, which they make and it is your own choice whether or not to visit them. I'm not sure what you mean by 'popping up all over the place'. Unless you're being assailed by fangirls and beaten over the head with anthroyaoirapeincestshota doujinshi while making your way to the mailbox in the morning.
Let me put it this way...when I'm browsing in the image gallery, I'd like to be forwarned if the next upcoming picture isn't something I want to see. Some of these people are good artists...but a little too good. There are some things I just don't want to see. Now, some websites would have a NSFW section...but not here, and certainly not all of them.

--------------------
Lust is dead. Finished. Kaput. Joined the Choir Invisible. Roy Mustang incinerated her repeatedly until her Philosopher's Stone dried up and dissolved into nothingness ("Mu" for you Japanese cultural enthusiasts). And she will remain killed off, written out of the plot. Greed was reincarnated because Father saved his Philosopher's Stone and had a guinea pig on hand. Lust is gone. Stop trying to play God with the plot line and bring her back at every possibly junction.
In the event that Hiromu Arakawa can skillfully maneuver around this narrative plot hole, I will eat my words with a pinch of salt.
Nepharski - Our first, last, and hopeful not only line of defense against bad Homunculi theories.

+Quote Post
Toby-Chan
post Jul 16 2006, 04:09 PM
Post #5

Gallery Mod Emeritus

QUOTE(Nepharski @ Jul 16 2006, 03:34 PM) [snapback]422533[/snapback]

Whatever you say, but I've only ever happened upon yuri and yaoi fanart here.

WTH? The only yuri fanart I've ever seen here was one that I uploaded of Winry kissing Rose on the cheek. Heck, other than that, I've only even ever seen maybe two mediocre FMA yuri art pieces in all my searching. Why the heck are you being bombarded by them, and why am I not getting equal treatment? sad.gif

Let me put it this way...when I'm browsing in the image gallery, I'd like to be forwarned if the next upcoming picture isn't something I want to see. Some of these people are good artists...but a little too good. There are some things I just don't want to see. Now, some websites would have a NSFW section...but not here, and certainly not all of them.

Umm... I'm confused. How do you 'happen upon' gay sex artwork in our gallery unless you're actually in the shonen ai section? Even there, only tame images are allowed, under the discretion of the gallery moderators. They have much more risque Edwin and Roiai pics in the gallery than most others. And those are just there in the gallery, not in their own quiet little section or anything.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nepharski
post Jul 16 2006, 04:49 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(Toby-Chan @ Jul 16 2006, 04:09 PM) [snapback]422542[/snapback]
Umm... I'm confused. How do you 'happen upon' gay sex artwork in our gallery unless you're actually in the shonen ai section? Even there, only tame images are allowed, under the discretion of the gallery moderators. They have much more risque Edwin and Roiai pics in the gallery than most others. And those are just there in the gallery, not in their own quiet little section or anything.

Four words for you: "Last 10 comments posted"

Granted, one could always spin it so that it's my fault that I'm in the Gallery section at all, but that'd be crass and shallow.

Look, the bottom line is...the whole scenario annoys me. I mean, I can understand some pairings to an extent, but aside from the ones that are just plain wrong (incest, pedophillia, etc.), most of them have no baring whatsoever. I mean, EnvyxEd? Last time I checked, Envy wanted to bash Ed's brains out on the floor. Fandom or not, this is just utterly ridiculous.

Just can't wait for NoahxEikart

--------------------

+Quote Post
Toby-Chan
post Jul 16 2006, 10:10 PM
Post #7

Gallery Mod Emeritus

QUOTE(Nepharski @ Jul 16 2006, 04:49 PM) [snapback]422548[/snapback]
Just can't wait for NoahxEikart

My friend just finished the first known fic of that pairing the other day. <3

I think perhaps the error in assumption with most of these pairings (such as Envy/Ed) is the thought that 'pairing' connotates 'couple', 'lovers', 'cuddly snugglebunnies who hold hands and share milkshakes', etcetera. Very often, (for example, as with Eckart/Noa) the focus is not on honest romance of any sort, but of manipulation and exploring the messed up, bold and power hungry aspects of Eckart's character, wherein for example, a perversion of a romantic scenario is simulated, however, it is all a vignette study on a villain and her sick mind.

Most Envy 'pairings' go by similar logic.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th August 2016 - 12:02 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css