HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Does Mustang's English Voice Just Not Feel Right?, Let's hear your opinion
does mustang's voice just not feel right? (please read my post first before voting)
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 99
Guests cannot vote 
hitokiri
post Nov 20 2004, 10:39 PM
Post #1

Brigadier General

Group: Members
Member No.: 650

is it just me or is mustangs voice just a little bit off? and no i don't mean its cause its just because i'm used to the jp voice talent, i just personally feel that the way his english voice is done its a little cold and lifeless, i mean yes roy mustang is an asshole sometimes, but he's ALWAYS been a charasmatic, jovial asshole. at least thats how i've always felt. does anyone else thats seen at least most of the jp eps agree or am i just being a picky funimation hatin bastard (which in general i am but i'm honestly tryin to give FMA a chance, hell at least they did better with this than DBZ)

as a side not i also feel that winry and ed have too mature voices, though the al voice fits nicely, pinako aint bad either but i do still prefer the jp version but thats just me

--------------------
peace,

hitokiri

------------------------------------------------------------
"argh...my neck is one gargantuan monkey fist..."
- J. Peterman -
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kyuuka_kaze
post Nov 20 2004, 11:04 PM
Post #2

Citizen

Member No.: 2,287

Since I have not seen the jap verson, I can be Unbiased when I say that your right. It's just too cold. But, I have a feeling that it (Just like Al's voice) will grow on me.

--------------------
~My FMA stats~
Chapters Read: 41
Episodes Watched: 5

+Quote Post
Carnal Malefacto...
post Nov 20 2004, 11:07 PM
Post #3

Gallery Mod Emeritus

From: In your daughter's bedroom, chanting lines from the Necrololicon
Member No.: 526

It's a lot less off than most of the other voices, I'll say that much.

Winry and Rose must have the same VA... I noticed no difference between the two. At least she's appropriately catty-sounding for Winry...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Quistis88
post Nov 20 2004, 11:09 PM
Post #4

Executive Officer (Spam Assassin)
Group Icon

Group: Moderating Admin
Member No.: 16

Can anyone direct me to a clip of Mustang's voice? I'd really like to hear it. smile.gif

--------------------
SINCERELY,
Quistis
(Forum Spam Assassin, Vice-Mother, and Queen of the Grammar Police)

This sentence says something else when you're not looking.

+Quote Post
telepika
post Nov 20 2004, 11:41 PM
Post #5

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 1,937

I almost voted for "FMA came out in Japan?" because that was so funny. No offense to anyone who really thought that...

Yeah, even though I'm not a Roy fan, I do agree that Roy's voice sounded weird, but that's because its different from the Japanese voice actor (actress?). I thought Ed's voice was terrible, but I got used to it. *shrugs* I'm starting to really like the dub. The third episode almost made me cry. I don't know why. I saw that episode five billion times in Japanese, but when I saw in the Eng. dub... I don't know... There was something different...

Well anyway, don't despair. I know you Roy fans will love Roy even if his Eng voice sucks.

--------------------
I've decided to officially support the American Dub!! Go Ed!!! Power to the short people!!!!
user posted image

+Quote Post
SpaceDrake
post Nov 20 2004, 11:42 PM
Post #6

Citizen

Member No.: 509

Mmmmmph. Part of me suspect it's Japanese-VA-Syndrome like I had with Ed originally, but... yeah. Travis Willingham as Roy just ain't clicking for me like the others are. The original VA was smooth and determined. Travis... well, he's got Mustang's attitiude OK, but the voice just... isn't quite Mustang. I'll give him some time, but...

BTW, Travis has a Livejournal here: http://www.livejournal.com/users/mustangactor/

+Quote Post
SpaceDrake
post Nov 21 2004, 10:51 AM
Post #7

Citizen

Member No.: 509

Hmm. Having watched the episode again, I revise my take on Mustang. The voice COULD work, I think for me it was a combination of "VA-shock" and the actor not being fully warmed up to the character yet. Episode 5 and beyond will be a big test.

+Quote Post
Maenos
post Nov 21 2004, 01:40 PM
Post #8

Citizen

Member No.: 153

Seems I'm the only one (thus far) who voted "I love the American version."

I will admit, Roy's VA isn't the best it could be. But I do like it. He'll fit. I'm liking all the VAs thus far (especially Al's, now that he sounds more realistic).

+Quote Post
TheVileOne
post Nov 21 2004, 04:26 PM
Post #9

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 250

I thought Travis Willingham sounded fine as Mustang.

Oh and all the talk about shooting/killing/beating Funimation needs to stop. Its infantile, sick, and ridiculous. Mods, do something about this because its really deplorable. And anyone who takes part in it here, you should knock it off and realize you are being bakas.

--------------------
"Struggle is optional. Pain is inevitable."

"This is my life. I have battled and lost, struggled and won.
I have had victory and defeat, and defeat in victory.
I will never be overmatched or unprepared.
This is who I am and who I will always be…I am Chris Benoit!"
- "The Crippler" Chris Benoit

+Quote Post
lialiakicks
post Nov 21 2004, 06:49 PM
Post #10

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 228

Travis did a good job with getting Mustang's character down, but he sounded so... UNENTHUSIASTIC.

I'm not saying that Mustang always sounded like he was high on caffine or anything, but his voice was kinda droned of energy. O_O Wow, this is harder to explain than I thought... Oh well.

We'll have to wait and see what happens in episode 13!

--------------------
[DECEMBER 2006 UPDATE!!!]

Elvish Vamp's Hagaren Manga Music Video can be found HERE!!!Please leave comments and suggestions in her "Manga AMV" forum!

Sky_Dark made the avatar. Worship Sky-sama's awesomeness! XD

+Quote Post
vegita625
post Nov 22 2004, 11:42 AM
Post #11

Apprentice

Member No.: 1,949

I'll be honest, I've seen the subbed episodes, so having heard Mustang's Jap. voice, yes, the English voice that I'm NOT used to sounds wierd. However, I think the voice suits him fine, it'll just take some getting used to. Get over it people, no one's dub voice is going to be identical to the original Jap. voice. So Mustang's voice is a lil deeper and rougher sounding, it's not too much of a difference.

Summarized: Mustang's voice is fine, just get used to it.

--------------------

This sig pic is too wide for our board
<The Max size for sig on our board is 500 pix wide x 300 pix. :)>

+Quote Post
Vx Tao Ren xV
post Nov 22 2004, 01:18 PM
Post #12

Alchemists

Member No.: 646

I actually like Roy's voice.. it could've been a LOT worse.. and for some reason, him being kind of sarcastic in episode 3 (eventhough he's not really supposed to be), actually worked for me..

--------------------
Crazy doesn't even begin to cover it...

+Quote Post
Artemis Winter
post Nov 22 2004, 08:53 PM
Post #13

Apprentice

Member No.: 2,515

QUOTE(What @ no bacon?,Nov 20 2004, 11:07 PM)
It's a lot less off than most of the other voices, I'll say that much.

Winry and Rose must have the same VA... I noticed no difference between the two. At least she's appropriately catty-sounding for Winry...

Actually, their VAs are different, but I think that Roze's and Riza Hawkeye's voice actresses in the dub are the same. I hope to God they don't screw that one up.

I'm a disgruntled girl...I mean, they did a fair job with the dub, but...*shrug* I agree in that Roy's voice was...off. Not in its enthusiasm, not whatever-else, but I think it was a tad low and...didn't match...*shrug* perhaps I'm just used to his normal jpn. VA.

Mweh. XD

--------------------
Royai fan! *waves flag frantically*
-----
GRAMMAR-CONSCIOUS AND BLOODY PROUD OF IT. if you be of the n00b type, go spork yourself, plzkthxbai.
-----
user posted image
I made this sig. Steal it and I smite j00.

+Quote Post
Shiroi
post Nov 25 2004, 08:16 PM
Post #14

Citizen

Member No.: 691

Eh... I don't think the voice itself sounded off at all. It was surprising, but I think the voice was very accurate. By "off" however, he sounded out-of-character. He had an "I-really-don't-wanna-be-here-right-now" type of tone, and that was just not Roy. Too much arrogant sarcasm perhaps? He dragged his sentences. Yeah, it's really hard to explain.

The real acid test will be episode 13 or so. -.- Like I said before, I can't wait to hear him rant about mini-skirts.

...And yes, Rose and Riza have the same dub voice actress. Creepy thought. I'm also curious as to what Hughes will sound like.

+Quote Post
rhoda_lin
post Jan 12 2005, 05:58 AM
Post #15

Citizen

Member No.: 5,406

hm i think roy's voice is too low but i like it still. sucks they dont have it in English in Taiwan here. x.X

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th June 2016 - 07:12 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css