A Pierrot's Aria
post Jan 10 2011, 03:44 PM
Post #1

Special Ops (Friendly Member Advisor)
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 68,926

•.`.•Newcomer's Guide to the Forum•.`.•

Hello, Newcomers! This will hopefully be a very useful guide to finding your way around our forums! Haven't introduced yourself yet? Then head on over to the Welcome Thread and drop us a hello! Even if you didn't know the thread existed and you joined a month or so ago, feel free to go and make your presence known and introduce yourself! Everyone is very happy to see you here!

In some sections you will be referred to a seperate guide with fantastic information that you can't go without.
I have also seperated this guide into sections for your viewing pleasure. tongue.gif I hope it will make navigating to relevant sections easy for you...

Are you sitting comfortably? Then let's begin!

CONTENTS:

1. The Powers that be
Meet our friendly staff!

2. Getting to know your fellow members
Adding a friend

3. Threads, Topics, Signatures, Avatars, Subscriptions
Thread Opening Assistance
Signature and Avatar Guidelines
Setting up email notifications and subscriptions

4. Technical Jargon
How To Quote
Spoiler Tags
Adding Attachments to a post
How to send a Personal Message (PM)

Technical Jargon Part 2
How to embed an image into your post

Technical Jargon Part 3
Creating a Poll in a Thread
Voting in a Poll
A Guide to Making an Effective Poll

5. Forum Etiquette
Forum 'no-nos'
-Trolls
-Advertising
-Double Posting
-Creating Duplicate Threads
-Answering Year Old Questions
-Character v. Character Threads

6. Know Thyself
Your Forum Dashboard
Guided tour of your Profile Page
'Rank'/ Post Count

7. Gallery
Gallery Q&A

8. Hey, I didn't know that!
Profile Comments
Forum Skins
Who's Online? Why are some members 'anonymous'?

Hey, I didn't know that! Part. 2
Forum News and Announcements
Regarding Open Talk and Spam Central
Using the Search Function
What is 'flood control'?
Linking specific posts

9. Upcoming and Ongoing Forum Activities
Re-reading the FMA manga
Fanart Contests
Operation "FMA Info Shrine"
Penny Thread

10. Other useful things you can do with knowing
Username Changes
Inquiring about technical difficulties
Deleting your account
Suggestions for our forum?
Forum Mod Station
Gallery Mod Station

11. Thread Directories
FMA Character Discussions Thread Directory
FMA Manga Thread Directory
What are 'Safe Harbour' Threads?

12. FAQ by Tombow
1.What are these things under my name?
2. Posting pictures on your post.
3. About my account.
4. How to make Direct Hotlink in the post, Pt. 2, Pt.3.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
A Pierrot's Aria
post Jan 12 2011, 02:33 PM
Post #2

Special Ops (Friendly Member Advisor)
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 68,926

<Double posting with justice; For the readability of information. Consulted board staff>

8. Hey, I didn't know that! Part. 2

You will notice at the top of the forums:

That is the most recent forum news- check periodically so you know what's going on. Also, keep your eye out for new announcements, as there is sure to be information that all members need to know.

Regarding Open Talk and Spam Central

Open Talk is a forum in which members generally share information about each other. Avoid chatting on the threads however, because it can easily overwhelm and take over the thread and it is unfair to have participating members being overrun by two people who are chatting away.

If you're thinking of making a thread, think as to whether or not it could easily get chatty. If this is the case, consider making your topic in Spam Central. This is where all of the forum games go.

Using the Search Function

To use the search function, you simply type a keyword into the search bar at the top right, like so:

After clicking GO it will bring up a list of relevant threads.

By clicking MORE SEARCH OPTIONS you can refine your search by selecting a particular forum to look in. For example, if your keyword was "Edward" you'd want to search in one of the FMA-related forums.

NB: The character search requirement has now been lowered to 3, so you can search for words such as "dog" or "cat" without getting an error.

What is 'flood control'?

After you have already posted in one thread, you might find a thread immediately afterwards that you want to post in, but when you do it comes up with this error:

"Flood posting control" is to prevent spamming with useless posts (like "Naruto iz da best lulz" and the like) that are usually left behind by trolls. If there was no flood-control lots of posts such as this could be made within a minute and the poor mods will be left to clean up after their idiocy!

There is also "PM flood control" to prevent hundreds of spam PMs being sent out, usually by computer programs, to all members.

Similarly, there is flood control for the Search Function; searching takes up the board's operational resources. Therefore, flood control is necessary to maintain the board's usual speed and effectiveness of all of its functions.

Just be patient- you will be able to post, search or send a PM again after one minute.

Linking specific posts

This feature can be very useful; In fact, I've displayed my mad post linking skills all the way through this guide! If you want to post a link to a specific post, look to the top right of that post and you'll see "Post #(Number)" In this post's case, it's "Post #12". Click on the number and it will come up with the following:

That box will come up, and you simply have to copy the URL by clicking CTRL+C and then clicking OK. You have now retrieved the URL of that post. So for example, if I were to link you to the contents page, it will redirect you to that post.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- A Pierrot's Aria   Newcomer's Guide to the Forum   Jan 10 2011, 03:44 PM
- - A Pierrot's Aria   <Double posting with justice; For the readabili...   Jan 10 2011, 03:56 PM
- - A Pierrot's Aria   <Double posting with justice; For the readabili...   Jan 10 2011, 04:10 PM
- - A Pierrot's Aria   <Double posting with justice; For the readabili...   Jan 10 2011, 04:32 PM
- - A Pierrot's Aria   <Double posting with justice; For the readabili...   Jan 10 2011, 05:00 PM
- - A Pierrot's Aria   <Double posting with justice; For the readabili...   Jan 10 2011, 05:17 PM
- - A Pierrot's Aria   <Double posting with justice; For the readabili...   Jan 10 2011, 05:28 PM
- - A Pierrot's Aria   <Double posting with justice; For the readabili...   Jan 10 2011, 05:42 PM
- - A Pierrot's Aria   <Double posting with justice; For the readabili...   Jan 10 2011, 05:51 PM
- - A Pierrot's Aria   <Double posting with justice; For the readabili...   Jan 10 2011, 05:59 PM
- - A Pierrot's Aria   <Double posting with justice; For the readabili...   Jan 11 2011, 04:28 AM
- - A Pierrot's Aria   <Double posting with justice; For the readabili...   Jan 19 2011, 01:11 PM
- - A Pierrot's Aria   <Double posting with justice; For the readabili...   Jan 21 2011, 03:37 AM
- - A Pierrot's Aria   <Double posting with justice; For the readabili...   Jan 22 2011, 09:14 AM
- - A Pierrot's Aria   12. FAQ by Tombow This will cover things I have c...   Feb 3 2011, 04:59 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2016 - 09:58 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css