A Pierrot's Aria
post Jan 10 2011, 03:44 PM
Post #1

Special Ops (Friendly Member Advisor)
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 68,926

•.`.•Newcomer's Guide to the Forum•.`.•

Hello, Newcomers! This will hopefully be a very useful guide to finding your way around our forums! Haven't introduced yourself yet? Then head on over to the Welcome Thread and drop us a hello! Even if you didn't know the thread existed and you joined a month or so ago, feel free to go and make your presence known and introduce yourself! Everyone is very happy to see you here!

In some sections you will be referred to a seperate guide with fantastic information that you can't go without.
I have also seperated this guide into sections for your viewing pleasure. tongue.gif I hope it will make navigating to relevant sections easy for you...

Are you sitting comfortably? Then let's begin!

CONTENTS:

1. The Powers that be
Meet our friendly staff!

2. Getting to know your fellow members
Adding a friend

3. Threads, Topics, Signatures, Avatars, Subscriptions
Thread Opening Assistance
Signature and Avatar Guidelines
Setting up email notifications and subscriptions

4. Technical Jargon
How To Quote
Spoiler Tags
Adding Attachments to a post
How to send a Personal Message (PM)

Technical Jargon Part 2
How to embed an image into your post

Technical Jargon Part 3
Creating a Poll in a Thread
Voting in a Poll
A Guide to Making an Effective Poll

5. Forum Etiquette
Forum 'no-nos'
-Trolls
-Advertising
-Double Posting
-Creating Duplicate Threads
-Answering Year Old Questions
-Character v. Character Threads

6. Know Thyself
Your Forum Dashboard
Guided tour of your Profile Page
'Rank'/ Post Count

7. Gallery
Gallery Q&A

8. Hey, I didn't know that!
Profile Comments
Forum Skins
Who's Online? Why are some members 'anonymous'?

Hey, I didn't know that! Part. 2
Forum News and Announcements
Regarding Open Talk and Spam Central
Using the Search Function
What is 'flood control'?
Linking specific posts

9. Upcoming and Ongoing Forum Activities
Re-reading the FMA manga
Fanart Contests
Operation "FMA Info Shrine"
Penny Thread

10. Other useful things you can do with knowing
Username Changes
Inquiring about technical difficulties
Deleting your account
Suggestions for our forum?
Forum Mod Station
Gallery Mod Station

11. Thread Directories
FMA Character Discussions Thread Directory
FMA Manga Thread Directory
What are 'Safe Harbour' Threads?

12. FAQ by Tombow
1.What are these things under my name?
2. Posting pictures on your post.
3. About my account.
4. How to make Direct Hotlink in the post, Pt. 2, Pt.3.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
A Pierrot's Aria
post Jan 10 2011, 05:51 PM
Post #2

Special Ops (Friendly Member Advisor)
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 68,926

<Double posting with justice; For the readability of information. Consulted board staff>

6. Know Thyself

Your Forum Dashboard

At the top right hand corner of the screen you'll see:

My Controls
Clicking on this will take you to your control panel. Here you will have a menu: Messenger, Invision Gallery, Subscriptions, Personal Profile, Options.

a)Your messenger allows you to view your inbox, delete and send PMs, access and add to your block list.
b ) Invision gallery allows you to view your albums, favourites and image subscriptions

SEE Gallery

c) Subscriptions This feature allows you to view the topics you are subscribed to

SEE Threads, Topics, Signatures, Avatars, Subscriptions

d) Personal profile Here you can edit your profile information, and edit your signature and avatar
e) Options Change email address, change password, board settings etc Email settings can be changed here.

View New Posts
Does what it says on the tin: this allows you to see a list of topics which have added posts since your last visit.

My Assistant
Displays board statistics and information, and recent PMs.

My Friends
Displays lists of friends you have added.

0 New Messages
Takes you to your messenger. If it says 1 or more personal messages, you have a message (or more).

A Guided Tour of your Profile Page

If you click on your (or another member's) username, you will come to your (or their) profile page. This allows you to see an About Me section situated in the middle of the page: If you want to edit your own 'About Me' section, simply click 'Edit your About Me page' located at the bottom right of the box.

As you look to the left, you'll see your Profile section, inclusive of your:

Personal Photo Can be edited via My Controls, this is not your avatar, but a photo that appears on your profile page.

Rating You get a star rating: other members can rate you out of 5 stars. You can do this to other members by visiting their profile and selecting the number of stars you think they deserve

Personal Statement Enter your personal statement via My Controls. Enter a quote or something about yourself!

Personal Info This contains your username, post rank, age, gender, location and date of birth. The last three are able to be modified via the drop down menus on your profile.

Interests Let everyone know what you're interested in; do this using My Controls.

Other Information Shows your gender and favourite anime/manga.

Statistics Contains the date you joined, profile views, where on the board you were last seen, local time and post count.

Contact Information Your contact email adresses and screen names. Can be edited using the drop down menus on your profile.

Now if you look to your right, you will find a list of the Last Visitors who have visited your page, Comments, that other members can leave on your profile, and Friends, members who you have added to your friend's list.

Ranks

You may notice that you have 'citizen' under your username. This is a rank gained according to the number of posts you have made

Citizen (post count = 0 - 99) ●
Apprentice (100 - 249) ●●
Alchemist (250 - 399) ●●●
State Alchemist (Major) (400 - 799) ●●●●
State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel) (800 - 1499) ●●●●●
State Alchemist (Colonel) (1500 - 2499) ●●●●●●
Brigadier General (2500 - 3999) ●●●●●●
Major General (4000 - ) ●●●●●●

Don't post for the sake of raising your post count- it's quality not quantity! We respect members here whether they're a Civilian or Brigadier General! You may also notice that some members have customised ranks, this will indicate that they are a type of mod or admin.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- A Pierrot's Aria   Newcomer's Guide to the Forum   Jan 10 2011, 03:44 PM
- - A Pierrot's Aria   <Double posting with justice; For the readabili...   Jan 10 2011, 03:56 PM
- - A Pierrot's Aria   <Double posting with justice; For the readabili...   Jan 10 2011, 04:10 PM
- - A Pierrot's Aria   <Double posting with justice; For the readabili...   Jan 10 2011, 04:32 PM
- - A Pierrot's Aria   <Double posting with justice; For the readabili...   Jan 10 2011, 05:00 PM
- - A Pierrot's Aria   <Double posting with justice; For the readabili...   Jan 10 2011, 05:17 PM
- - A Pierrot's Aria   <Double posting with justice; For the readabili...   Jan 10 2011, 05:28 PM
- - A Pierrot's Aria   <Double posting with justice; For the readabili...   Jan 10 2011, 05:42 PM
- - A Pierrot's Aria   <Double posting with justice; For the readabili...   Jan 10 2011, 05:59 PM
- - A Pierrot's Aria   <Double posting with justice; For the readabili...   Jan 11 2011, 04:28 AM
- - A Pierrot's Aria   <Double posting with justice; For the readabili...   Jan 12 2011, 02:33 PM
- - A Pierrot's Aria   <Double posting with justice; For the readabili...   Jan 19 2011, 01:11 PM
- - A Pierrot's Aria   <Double posting with justice; For the readabili...   Jan 21 2011, 03:37 AM
- - A Pierrot's Aria   <Double posting with justice; For the readabili...   Jan 22 2011, 09:14 AM
- - A Pierrot's Aria   12. FAQ by Tombow This will cover things I have c...   Feb 3 2011, 04:59 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2016 - 06:50 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css