Complain About English Voice
Rating 1 V
TheVileOne
post Jan 20 2005, 07:26 PM
Post #61

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Group: Members
Member No.: 250

I watched the whole series in Japanese and subtitles before I watched it dub and I think the English dubbing is great. Its just another way to experience the series. An excuse to watch the whole thing all over again.

The DVD's will have the original Japanese voices and English subtitles BTW. So that's the only legal way to own the series come Feb. 8th.

--------------------
"Struggle is optional. Pain is inevitable."

"This is my life. I have battled and lost, struggled and won.
I have had victory and defeat, and defeat in victory.
I will never be overmatched or unprepared.
This is who I am and who I will always be…I am Chris Benoit!"
- "The Crippler" Chris Benoit
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hitokiri
post Jan 20 2005, 07:29 PM
Post #62

Brigadier General

Member No.: 650

QUOTE(arche @ Jan 20 2005, 01:29 PM)
The audience plays a big part also in this. I don't know if the translators of FMA for the dubbed version understand what audience they're doing this for. Not all anime fans are big Japanese buffs or even understand anything about Japanese culture. So, some things they put in are just going to sound stupid to non-Japanese ears.

[/Conceptual Translation Lesson]

Anyway, this is another long post from me and I'm proud of it tongue.gif
[snapback]92414[/snapback]

yes this is true but then why are these morons inconsistant... like changing the hughes and roy from their tradtional japanese archetype characters to more westernized versions... this is why dubbing is stupid, especially when it is done by people that are not of the same nationality as the language they translating....

--------------------
peace,

hitokiri

------------------------------------------------------------
"argh...my neck is one gargantuan monkey fist..."
- J. Peterman -

+Quote Post
konic vince
post Jan 20 2005, 07:39 PM
Post #63

Apprentice

Member No.: 5,898

QUOTE(hitokiri @ Jan 19 2005, 04:25 PM)
oh and i hate the voices for FMA as well, with the exception of Al and Pinako. i hate Nina's voice the most, it made me happy that she got killed.
[snapback]91177[/snapback]

lol I didn't hear Nina's voice, I just saw Barry the Chopper ep and the one with Psiren...must have been terrible if you wanted Nina to die...lol

--------------------
user posted image

Ikaruga

+Quote Post
keske
post Jan 20 2005, 07:53 PM
Post #64

Citizen

Member No.: 5,610

QUOTE(hitokiri @ Jan 20 2005, 07:29 PM)
QUOTE(arche @ Jan 20 2005, 01:29 PM)

The audience plays a big part also in this. I don't know if the translators of FMA for the dubbed version understand what audience they're doing this for. Not all anime fans are big Japanese buffs or even understand anything about Japanese culture. So, some things they put in are just going to sound stupid to non-Japanese ears.

[/Conceptual Translation Lesson]

Anyway, this is another long post from me and I'm proud of it tongue.gif
[snapback]92414[/snapback]

yes this is true but then why are these morons inconsistant... like changing the hughes and roy from their tradtional japanese archetype characters to more westernized versions... this is why dubbing is stupid, especially when it is done by people that are not of the same nationality as the language they translating....
[snapback]92768[/snapback]

I'm not so sure I agree with you that translations done by non-native linguists are "stupid." Don't be so quick to discount and criticize, since these linguists have spent years studying Japanese and preparing for certifications (such as the Japanese Language Proficiency/Kanji Test) as well as living in Japan.

Subtitles and dubs are great, but there's always something "lost in translation," no matter how skilled the translator. And generalizing that translations done by non-native speakers are stupid is not really a valid claim. There have been wonderful translations done by non-native speakers in novels, subtitles/dubs, and so forth. I've met professors (who are White) who know a language just as well as a native speakers, if not better.

Moreover, translations done by people translating into the language of the tongue they speak best is actually ideal if checked by a native speaker. The translator will try to convert the idioms and expressions into the language they're translating it to, while the native speaker can check to see if the meaning has been preserved. Most translations work that way, and I don't see how Funimation wouldn't do it with Fullmetal Alchemist. My friend used to work for Funimation as a translator for Dragonballz, though he is half-Japanese, half-White.

+Quote Post
ἀρχή
post Jan 22 2005, 05:52 AM
Post #65

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 3,228

QUOTE(hitokiri @ Jan 20 2005, 09:29 PM)
yes this is true but then why are these morons inconsistant... like changing the hughes and roy from their tradtional japanese archetype characters to more westernized versions...  this is why dubbing is stupid, especially when it is done by people that are not of the same nationality as the language they translating....
[snapback]92768[/snapback]

I will say that there is no reason for them to be inconsistent with the English dub or even the final Sub version when it comes out on DVD. I can understand why fansubs have differences - there isn't a team of people with any cohesion. But, there should have been a team of people doing this with a general agreement on which method they would use - lending itself to consistency.

I'd have to agree with you there hito in that if a professionally produced sub isn't consistent, it's really got problems with the team. At the very least it should be either all westernized or traditional all the way through rather than switching. That's a lack of professional teamwork on the translators side.

--------------------

+Quote Post
full-blownidiot-...
post Jan 22 2005, 10:03 AM
Post #66

Citizen

Member No.: 5,296

I saw the dubbed version first, and then got the subs. At first I loved the dubbed version, but now after getting used to the subs I fancy them. I do plan on getting the dubbed box set because I like to make comparisons, and see what they are actually saying in japanese to what they are saying in english. Plus, I think the current subs did a fine job, but I know from experience that the subs for the japanese version on the American box set will be different.

+Quote Post
Fresh_Coffee
post Jan 22 2005, 12:36 PM
Post #67

Brigadier General

Member No.: 3,780

Al voice sounds weird to me though Edward's voice I don't really mind. Though I find it a bit to low. I heard Roy's voice was garbage now I want to hear it for myself.

--------------------
<3'S2

Summer lovin<3

+Quote Post
filimonovna
post Jan 22 2005, 12:49 PM
Post #68

Apprentice

Member No.: 351

Well... It's a matter of taste. When I just started to watch anime, I've seen such a humorous thing like '100 rules of anime-lover' and among them was 'Watch anime only with subtitles' I laughed a lot, but now, when I sometimes buy anime in russian, I feel like switching the translation off and subtitles on.
But on the other hand, we shall think about all those people, who can't dowload episodes. So the dubbed version is a good source of awesome anime to them.
Those who can compare are to choose themselves - whether to adore dubbed version of to hate.

--------------------
...if you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of endless run,
Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

W. Blake

+Quote Post
Guest_Darcon_*
post Jan 22 2005, 10:56 PM
Post #69

Guests

This is just my opinion, but I believe anyone who CANNOT speak perfectly FLUENT Japanese and understand the dialect COMPLETELY should not have the right to judge whether a dubbing or a subbing is better (or put down those who like dubbings, either).

I myself can enjoy both dubbed and subbed anime, and I know that some dubbings can get pretty sub-par, but from my experience it is usually unpopular anime (mostly OVA's) that smaller companies bring over. The anime Adult Swim is showing is a good example of excellent dubbing.

I haven't heard the Japanese voices for FMA, since I unfortunately overlooked the series before it got licensed, but from what I've heard of the English voice acting FUNimation has done a great job on it (I love the way Ed's character is portrayed!). Sure, I can tell some actors (such as Al's) took a couple of episodes to get into their character, but that's expected of any VA. Still, even if I had heard the Japanese voices, I have no right to judge whether or not they are superior to English voices, even if I would have preferred Japanese to English.

Sorry, I just felt like peacefully ranting a bit; I just can't stand people who shun me (some of my "friends" come to mind...) because I enjoy watching dubbed anime as well as subbed, kind of like I'm "inferior" or something of the sort.

PS - I do NOT respond to flames, so don't make yourself look like a fool! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
TheVileOne
post Jan 23 2005, 12:16 AM
Post #70

Funimation is bringing the awesome with FMA, so quit yer playa hatin'.

I remember a time when you could hardly ever get any anime in the US, and now its a phenomenon and you can walk into just about any store now and buy reasonbly priced, high quality anime. And people still bitch, moan, and complain about it. The Rock says, "KNOW YOUR ROLE AND SHUT YOUR MOUTH!"

--------------------

+Quote Post
hitokiri
post Jan 23 2005, 12:20 AM
Post #71

Brigadier General

and i say why don't you get off your knees in front of funi and wipe your lips.....

--------------------
peace,

hitokiri

- J. Peterman -

+Quote Post
TheVileOne
post Jan 23 2005, 12:30 AM
Post #72

You make it sound so dirty hitokiri. But its not. What's dirty is the stupidity and snobbery of sub-nazi Japanese anime purists. Dumbasses who say the show is ruined because Al said "NEW YORK" in episode 9 when he really said "LIOR".

--------------------

+Quote Post
hitokiri
post Jan 23 2005, 12:37 AM
Post #73

Brigadier General

hey i never say anything about people who prefer the dubs, i only comment my opinion of them. i'm not the one worshiping at the altar of funi and acting like anyone who doesn't like it is a god damned heathen. so seriously who's the freakin thought nazi here?

PS: i really don't care about the lior thing, hell i didn't even know about it. my complaint is the new voices and the lines that have been changed don't convey the original feelings/concepts. that is my complaint.

--------------------
peace,

hitokiri

- J. Peterman -

+Quote Post
TheVileOne
post Jan 23 2005, 01:03 AM
Post #74

You misunderstand, and that's not my problem. My problem is with people who have the unmitigated gall to say that Funimation is ruining the show. That we are getting DVD's with the original Japanese language tracks and English subtitles, but people still complain about it. Like I've actually seen threads on the boards here asking if you will buy the Region 1 DVD's, like buying them is a crime since it has the English versions on it.

You don't have to like the dub Funimation has done, but you should at least show your respect to them that THEY HAVE SHOWN for this series and continue to show. And that Adult Swim is showing it uncut and unedited every week, and we are going to get some great DVD releases this year.

--------------------

+Quote Post
hitokiri
post Jan 23 2005, 01:26 AM
Post #75

Brigadier General

understand that some people feel that funi IS ruining the show and that is their right. yes i do agree some people do attack dub lovers. but you know what? this is the japanese FMA section so its kinda expected... still i do agree it doesn't make it right.

the people that were basically the founders of this section spent a year of their lives waiting for the episode releases, week by week. now that gives some of them a very personal connection to the show. they just feel that the dubbing has betrayed a certain sense/quality that makes this show enjoyable to them. to them it would be like redoing Man in Bowler Hat in cell shading format..

as for respect? to me at least, they have done nothing that deserves my respect. putting the japanese version in the DVD, oh wow they included the orignal voices, that was so hard and took SO much time. it called creating a larger consumer market. as for the tremendous favor they have done us by bringing the show to the US... they do it for money. they are a busniess that is the point of business.

--------------------
peace,

hitokiri

- J. Peterman -

+Quote Post

26 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2016 - 07:57 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css