Complain About English Voice
Rating 1 V
r315razor
post Jun 22 2006, 09:39 PM
Post #316

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 31,132

Personaly, I don't even bother with the origional Japanese voices. Cause I hate to read, and subtitles require you to read... also if your reading the bottom of the screen, how can you tell whats happening?

I'll take a dub anyday. If is a bad dub, in my opinion, it is a bad anime.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
asunder
post Jun 23 2006, 01:17 AM
Post #317

Special Ops (Intelligence Officer)
Group Icon

Group: Moderating Admin
Member No.: 30,877

QUOTE(r315razor @ Jun 23 2006, 12:39 AM) [snapback]415149[/snapback]

Personaly, I don't even bother with the origional Japanese voices. Cause I hate to read, and subtitles require you to read... also if your reading the bottom of the screen, how can you tell whats happening?

I'll take a dub anyday. If is a bad dub, in my opinion, it is a bad anime.

If you watch a lot of foreign films you get used to the subtitles...After a while it just becomes second nature and you automatically read 'em without having to think about it.

I've watched plenty of Hong Kong cinema and random japanese films.... this of course backfires when watching stuff that has spanish or mandarin/cantonese subtitles. I automatically try to read it even though i don't know the language >_>

--------------------
Everytime you post something mind numbingly retarded, this forum crashes.

+Quote Post
ochibisan
post Jul 11 2006, 10:56 PM
Post #318

Citizen

Member No.: 38,277

Hmmm. I must really ask what's the big deal about...calling each other freaks and subnazis...
Listen, it's okay if you don't like it, I respect that, but it was a little obvious that people will be rash enough to insult your ideas.

Just make sure to use your opinion to watch the subbed ones rather than the dubbed ones so you can enjoy the show better.

=D It doesn't matter what version you prefer as long as you like it and enjoy the show! <3

+Quote Post
FMA4ever
post Jul 13 2006, 09:53 PM
Post #319

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 34,479

I think Funimation made it better! They voice actors are amazing and the dialoge is amazing. In the Japanese version (which I have seen too) I think it's way too serious and not as funny. But in the English version there's times were it can be extremly serious, but on a dime be complete funny. Not many animes can do that, but Fullmetal Alchemist (English) pulled it off.

That's my opinion happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
sweety_pie
post Jul 13 2006, 11:01 PM
Post #320

Major General

Member No.: 35,070

I agree completely with FMA4ever.

--------------------

Thank you so much Milky for the Siggie. You are the awesomest!

+Quote Post
FMA4ever
post Jul 13 2006, 11:34 PM
Post #321

State Alchemist (Major)

QUOTE(sweety_pie @ Jul 14 2006, 01:01 AM) [snapback]421645[/snapback]

I agree completely with FMA4ever.

Thanks!

And RascalKing hasn't even replyed since page 2.... tongue.gif it's cause we're right!

--------------------

+Quote Post
asunder
post Jul 14 2006, 06:14 AM
Post #322

Group Icon

I can play the part of devil's advocate if you want.

Most of the time the dialogue is changed because stupid americans can't handle the context of another culture/ other way of thinking. In some cases, dialogue is changed in the dub because there's a japanese culture reference. In some cases the subtext is too subtle, and again stupid americans need to be spoonfed to what's going on instead of inferring it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Jul 14 2006, 07:25 AM
Post #323

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

QUOTE(FMA4ever @ Jul 14 2006, 05:53 AM) [snapback]421630[/snapback]

I think Funimation made it better! They voice actors are amazing and the dialoge is amazing. In the Japanese version (which I have seen too) I think it's way too serious and not as funny. But in the English version there's times were it can be extremly serious, but on a dime be complete funny. Not many animes can do that, but Fullmetal Alchemist (English) pulled it off.

I don't see how that makes sense. Are you saying that because its edited it has made it such a different anime it's funnier? Thats just asking, I have only seen one of the dub versions (no, I didn't like it).

Frankly I don't think anime should be fiddled with at all. Directly dubbing yes, but most often words are changed and scenes are cut.

--------------------

+Quote Post
FMA4ever
post Jul 14 2006, 03:26 PM
Post #324

State Alchemist (Major)

QUOTE(Chiyo @ Jul 14 2006, 09:25 AM) [snapback]421727[/snapback]

QUOTE(FMA4ever @ Jul 14 2006, 05:53 AM) [snapback]421630[/snapback]

I don't see how that makes sense. Are you saying that because its edited it has made it such a different anime it's funnier? Thats just asking, I have only seen one of the dub versions (no, I didn't like it).

Frankly I don't think anime should be fiddled with at all. Directly dubbing yes, but most often words are changed and scenes are cut.

Well, they keep it very close to the Japanese version. It's just turned out a lot funnier, and less serious. In the Japanese verison it's too serious and it hardly made me laugh. (My opinion) Quote from Vic Mignogna: "And for those of you fans out there who were so originally concerned with how close it was gonna stay to the original...I think you guys know by now that he (Writer: Jared Hedges) has really done an incredible job at capturing the fine details of the incredible story."

--------------------

+Quote Post
asunder
post Jul 14 2006, 04:28 PM
Post #325

Group Icon

QUOTE(FMA4ever @ Jul 14 2006, 06:26 PM) [snapback]421882[/snapback]

Quote from Vic Mignogna: "And for those of you fans out there who were so originally concerned with how close it was gonna stay to the original...I think you guys know by now that he (Writer: Jared Hedges) has really done an incredible job at capturing the fine details of the incredible story."

wtf did you include that quote for? He doesn't seem like any authoratative figure on the subject. More so, he seems more likely to be a biased figure.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kasumi_lvgd
post Jul 14 2006, 04:47 PM
Post #326

Citizen

Member No.: 38,392

Well, I watched the Japanese version first. I thought I would hate the dubbed versions...

In fact, I hate the spanish version. But that's because it's really bad; they often mess up the translation, and the voices suck.

After that, I watched the american version...and I absolutely loved it ^^ (even though I'm not very good understanding spoken english ^^' )

So, I'm looking forward to watch the dubbed movie ^^

+Quote Post
FMA4ever
post Jul 14 2006, 04:55 PM
Post #327

State Alchemist (Major)

QUOTE(asunder @ Jul 14 2006, 06:28 PM) [snapback]421899[/snapback]

QUOTE(FMA4ever @ Jul 14 2006, 06:26 PM) [snapback]421882[/snapback]

Quote from Vic Mignogna: "And for those of you fans out there who were so originally concerned with how close it was gonna stay to the original...I think you guys know by now that he (Writer: Jared Hedges) has really done an incredible job at capturing the fine details of the incredible story."

wtf did you include that quote for? He doesn't seem like any authoratative figure on the subject. More so, he seems more likely to be a biased figure.

I included it because I can. And it was on the Actor Commentary DVD Volume 5. It not a big deal, so quit making it one.

QUOTE(Kasumi_lvgd @ Jul 14 2006, 06:47 PM) [snapback]421916[/snapback]

Well, I watched the Japanese version first. I thought I would hate the dubbed versions...

In fact, I hate the spanish version. But that's because it's really bad; they often mess up the translation, and the voices suck.

After that, I watched the american version...and I absolutely loved it ^^ (even though I'm not very good understanding spoken english ^^' )

Cool! I'm glad you don't think FMA was ruined by the English version! happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Amethyst Sunset
post Jul 16 2006, 05:04 AM
Post #328

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 38,435

Okay, when I first watched FMA when it came out on Animax (our English-dubbed anime channel), I thought the dubbing would be totally off, like most animes I watch and those that have been dubbed into Filipino. Trust me, Filipino-dubbed Fruits Basket can sometimes drive me up the wall. >_> But I like the plot, so I put that aside and go with the flow, and then I see that the dubbing was very nice in some parts.

Now, going back to FMA, I think the dub was done well - in fact, even better than most anime cartoons. The voice actors and actresses did a good job (I joined the Risembool Rangers - GO VIC!), in my opinion.

Let's just put it this way - some people don't like how it's dubbed, but some, like me, do. And hopefully I'll be able to catch the movie and see if it was dubbed as well as the anime.

--------------------

+Quote Post
puppet.alchemist
post Jul 20 2006, 11:57 PM
Post #329

Citizen

Member No.: 37,338

i havent read all of the posts but the english dialogue is nice.....if only they use the japanese actors' voice with the english dialogue. thats my opinion though.

--------------------
IPB Image

Please don't hurt Ed, love him instead!

+Quote Post
Edamame
post Jul 21 2006, 08:53 AM
Post #330

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 38,530

QUOTE(Kasumi_lvgd @ Jul 14 2006, 11:47 PM) [snapback]421916[/snapback]

Kasumi I agree that the Spanish version is hideous and the voice actors make me cringe. Whenever people complain about the poor translation in the English dub, I want to show them the Spanish version.

Japanese is a very poetic language unlike English and oftentimes it is very difficult to retain the original meaning of a specific phrase. There are many puns in the Japanese version that are somewhat difficult to retain in the English dub. Also, there are some colloquial phrases in Japanese that would never translate properly into English. With dubbing and translation, dialogue is often changed so that the characters' mouths match the speed at which they are talking. Also, I believe that the editors take some liberties in changing the dialoque to match more closely with their native language.

--------------------

+Quote Post

26 Pages V  « < 20 21 22 23 24 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2016 - 03:03 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css