Complain About English Voice
Rating 1 V
Sapphire Alchemi...
post Nov 18 2004, 07:00 PM
Post #16

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,188

QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Nov 18 2004, 07:47 PM)
QUOTE(Sapphire Alchemist Naur @ Nov 18 2004, 06:54 PM)
My two favorite references are Crest of the Stars and that horribly butchered version of Nausicaa, Warriors of the Wind.

There's a dub of Nausicaš!? I've never seen it in its original Japanese, but rather, the Cantonese dub. Because the dub was EXCELLENT, plus the movie itself is wonderful, it's my favorite Ghibli film of all time. But they ruined the English dubbing? How awful! *cries*

What happened was an american company, I forget which one, was given the rights to the dub by miyazaki himself. The end result was a half hour shorter film with a new title, Warriors of the Wind, with a cover having nothing to do with the film, all the character names were changed and the voice actors(actresses) were terrible. This was back in the 80's when Nausicaa had first come out and it got Miyazaki so pissed that it was another decade until he allowed an american company to touch his work again.

--------------------
user posted image
join the movement, help our beloved mustang become fuhrer
Check out my plan to eventually build a manga fanbase, Tartuga
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Quistis88
post Nov 18 2004, 07:32 PM
Post #17

Executive Officer (Spam Assassin)
Group Icon

Group: Moderating Admin
Member No.: 16

Oh, I see now . . . poor Miyazaki. sad.gif

--------------------
SINCERELY,
Quistis
(Forum Spam Assassin, Vice-Mother, and Queen of the Grammar Police)

This sentence says something else when you're not looking.

+Quote Post
pheonixXII
post Nov 19 2004, 05:46 PM
Post #18

Citizen

Member No.: 2,549

i love the dubbed and i even think Ed's voice dubbed is better but i am sorry to dissagree with you and they didn't ruin it just because of some changes in the dialogue

--------------------
Save a tree eat a beaver... dont ask

+Quote Post
Paige the soul a...
post Nov 27 2004, 04:40 AM
Post #19

Citizen

Member No.: 2,878

I defently agree with all the people who diagree with the persn who strted this topic. I mean We cant just wach one ep of the show and be like "I dont like the voice acting that FUNI did, so i'm going to assume it will be like case closed and all the Other FUNI shows." Because that's probley what you did and I like ed and als voice in america! Ass.

+Quote Post
jarrylyathealche...
post Nov 27 2004, 05:12 PM
Post #20

Citizen

Member No.: 2,884

QUOTE(Quistis88 @ Nov 16 2004, 05:07 AM)
QUOTE(TheVileOne @ Nov 16 2004, 03:57 AM)
FMA is far from ruined.  What ruins is it annoying anime snobs like you that whine about it instead of supporting the show airing on American TV.

Very true. Although I do prefer subs over dubs, I like the fact that FMA made its way to NA, and I respect FUNimation for taking the time to do the best they can, because for many people, FUNi is all they'll ever get, and I'm sure that the people who fit into that category are grateful that FUNi is doing this.

I for one am SO glad for this. I watch Yu Yu Hakusho which is a Funi production. It's pretty good. Um....as for FMA. I joined an anime club back in October,and they were showing FMA subtitled. Unfortunately,it was in the middle of it,and the episodes I happened to catch the tail end of the series,and found it boring. So,when I heard FMA was going to be brought to America,I was ecstatic!! It's pretty good! (And this is from someone who HAS seen it subbed.) I've seen most of my anime dubbed,and this one is pretty good!!

--------------------
"People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something. You must present something of equal value to gain something. That is the principle of equivalent trade in alchemy. We believed that was the truth of the world when we were young." ~Alphonse Elric

+Quote Post
Damien13
post Nov 27 2004, 08:53 PM
Post #21

Citizen

Member No.: 2,890

ah, the age old issue. usually i prefer not to get into these but seeing as FMA is one of my faves...first thing is, yea dubbing is not always great, cause it does get ruined, but with subbing you gotta pay attention to what the characters are saying instead of watching what is going on alot, atleast for me. really, just watch how you like cause either way its a good anime and we all love it anyways.

--------------------
user posted image
"Rum is for drinking, not for burning"

+Quote Post
Pushin_Love
post Nov 30 2004, 12:40 PM
Post #22

Citizen

Member No.: 3,042

unsure.gif Wow I really didn't know that the sub vs dub thing was such a BIG issue. But hey can I put in 2 pennies?

Having worked in the field of voice acting and also studied Japanese Internation Business I found that you can't really say that anything is ruined when it is dubbed or subtitled.

First you gotta remember, Japanese is a complex language based off of a lot of implied statements and understood pronouns.. wacko.gif made me crazy trying to study it. But when it comes time to translate it for subtitles, alot of it has to be changed for context and meaning. Also, as we all know, Japanese anime uses a lot of culture references. Sometimes they're left in, but others are mutually redesigned to fit the culture of the translating party. All that results in a version of the script different than the original.

Next, to actually dub the text, more things are changed because remember there's a big difference between the written language and spoken language. Things that sound good on paper, don't alway sound right when said. So, they create another version of the script.

Factor all that, plus audio editting to fit the lip flap timing... rolleyes.gif well, it's not always an exact science...

So far, I love it... I've seen my share of butchered anime and this ain't one... wub.gif

+Quote Post
jarrylyathealche...
post Nov 30 2004, 01:55 PM
Post #23

Citizen

QUOTE(Pushin_Love @ Nov 30 2004, 12:40 PM)
unsure.gif Wow I really didn't know that the sub vs dub thing was such a BIG issue. But hey can I put in 2 pennies?

Having worked in the field of voice acting and also studied Japanese Internation Business I found that you can't really say that anything is ruined when it is dubbed or subtitled.

First you gotta remember, Japanese is a complex language based off of a lot of implied statements and understood pronouns.. wacko.gif made me crazy trying to study it. But when it comes time to translate it for subtitles, alot of it has to be changed for context and meaning. Also, as we all know, Japanese anime uses a lot of culture references. Sometimes they're left in, but others are mutually redesigned to fit the culture of the translating party. All that results in a version of the script different than the original.

Next, to actually dub the text, more things are changed because remember there's a big difference between the written language and spoken language. Things that sound good on paper, don't alway sound right when said. So, they create another version of the script.

Factor all that, plus audio editting to fit the lip flap timing... rolleyes.gif well, it's not always an exact science...

So far, I love it... I've seen my share of butchered anime and this ain't one... wub.gif

Well said! I'm a big fan of Dub voice actors because they have a very hard job,and it's probably harder than what the Japanese VAs have. I have a lot of respect for those people who can put their hearts into such frustrating work. I like the guys who do Ed and Al's voices.

--------------------
"People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something. You must present something of equal value to gain something. That is the principle of equivalent trade in alchemy. We believed that was the truth of the world when we were young." ~Alphonse Elric

+Quote Post
Des
post Nov 30 2004, 02:53 PM
Post #24

Citizen

Member No.: 3,047

Okay, frankly, I don't see what you are all complaining about.

1) FMA in America means merchandising. =D And it'll be cheaper since we don't have to import it.

2) I will agree that the voices don't sound as good in English as they do in Japanese.

BUT!

You have to keep in mind that the voice actors they did use are in the correct ranges. If you listen to Ed's dub, and then listen to Paku Romi, they're of similar voice quality. Really, FUNimation is doing their best. Cut them some slack, they can't help that they're American. =3

3) As for dialogue changes... Okay, you realize that you've been watching FANsubs, right? Unless you understand Japanese, which I doubt, you have no idea what they were really saying originally. There are many ways you can translate a Japanese sentence, so again, cut them some slack. Just because they don't word things exactly like your subs do, does not mean you're being looked down upon. You have to keep in mind that they also have to word the sentences so that they're still synched with the movement of the character's mouths, and that must be a difficult thing to do!

So ease up, alright? ^^

+Quote Post
jarrylyathealche...
post Nov 30 2004, 03:02 PM
Post #25

Citizen

Again,very well said....

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Guest_alchemist_*
post Nov 30 2004, 07:13 PM
Post #26

Guests

man, i don't understand why this is such a big issue! I mean, jeez, the sub-lovers should at least show a hint of respect to the people who are dubbing it.

Funimation subsitutes good original dialogue with simple, crappy, 4th grade dialogue so we can "comprehend" everything.....grr........speaking of dialogue.....WOA!

if you hadn't noticed, sometimes, the translations of the subs are also worded awkwardly and sound a bit...off. The translations do not depict normal speaking english. It's a more complex form of english, man, how should i put this?

For example, when one is talking, one does not say "Great work on that accomplishment", instead, they simply say "Great job!". you know what i mean?

Basically, the translations sometimes put a lot of jargan into their works since they have to translate what the japanese is trying to say. Funimation has taken the japanese form and translated into actual flowing sentences that do not sound choppy or awkward.

So don't say FUNI is trying to substitute the original dialogue with '4th grade dialogue'. Their trying their best to actually make the dialogue in the anime sound normal.

Believe me, listening to full-fledged EXACT translation from japanese to english will blow your ears off. I'm sure you'd just LOVE to hear somebody say:

"Have a pleasant and undisturbing slumber while you subconciously ponder subsequential events that are projected from the human mind"

rather than a simple "Sweet dreams".

i mean, really.

+Quote Post
Guest_k_*
post Dec 20 2004, 07:07 PM
Post #27

Guests

they ruin the end of the series anyway....i freaking hate it when shows end it in a way that makes you say "isnt there supposed to be a real ending not this bs thing where...." oh nvm if youve seen the 51st episode youd know what im talkign abouthere i am trying to stufy for a precalc final i have tomaro and all i can think about is the ending that could lead to another season.....which would ruin it because ed cant get back and all....ehh enough i need to study

+Quote Post
ἀρχή
post Dec 20 2004, 07:56 PM
Post #28

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 3,228

Sub/dub. Yes, I like the sub better although I've only seen a few dubs as I don't get CN. Does it matter - NO

I've done translations, I've read tranlsations and I know the difficulties in translations. If you want to get into it, I can talk to you about exegetical and hermeneutical methodologies so we can define whether any one of them is accurate. But I doubt anyone wants to get that technical. So don't.

The series is fine regardless because of its themes and not because of the sub/dub. There is more to it than simple voice actor portrayal and theme cutting, etc...There are characters that people can identify with and a story that is touching. Yes, on the finer points of the series, and preference, sub/dub will matter, but on the true nature of the series, no it won't. If it does, then the American audience doesn't deserve such a great series as they're too shallow to enjoy anything.

Ok, I'm done now - sorry.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Quistis88
post Dec 20 2004, 10:53 PM
Post #29

Executive Officer (Spam Assassin)
Group Icon

Group: Moderating Admin
Member No.: 16

QUOTE(arche @ Dec 20 2004, 07:56 PM)
The series is fine regardless because of its themes and not because of the sub/dub. There is more to it than simple voice actor portrayal and theme cutting, etc...There are characters that people can identify with and a story that is touching. Yes, on the finer points of the series, and preference, sub/dub will matter, but on the true nature of the series, no it won't. If it does, then the American audience doesn't deserve such a great series as they're too shallow to enjoy anything.

Ok, I'm done now - sorry.

That's so very true. *nods* And there's no need to apologize. smile.gif

--------------------
SINCERELY,
Quistis
(Forum Spam Assassin, Vice-Mother, and Queen of the Grammar Police)

This sentence says something else when you're not looking.

+Quote Post
RascalKing
post Dec 21 2004, 02:04 AM
Post #30

Citizen

Member No.: 1,058

ok, i when i first started this thread like a month ago, i meant that the ENGLISH dub was ruined, not the anime itself. And i stick to it, this is my personal opinion, and i believe its valid. And after hearing Nina's voice which sounded like a complete joke, i stick by my word even more.

+Quote Post

26 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th June 2016 - 03:22 PM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css