Reply to this topicStart new topic
Shadows Of The Paragon, Post-apocalyptic madness
That One Dude
post Aug 31 2010, 03:21 PM
Post #46

State Alchemist (Major)

Group: Members
Member No.: 46,559

Matt chuckled dryly, both amused and irritated at the same time. Only his amusement showed. "Halle-f**king-lujah, indeed!" He said softly, glancing at Alma.

"You know, Alma, if it makes you feel better, I actually have less of a chance of survival here than you do." He murmured. "I'm underweight, my bones are brittle, I have an attitude that will get me shot someday..." he paused a moment, trying to think of a good way to put what he thought into words without sounding too corny. "So, let's use this metaphor; you're not a dancer, but you can dance. As long as you can dance when you need to, forget about what everyone else says." He glanced out the door a moment, then turned back to Alma and grinned widely.

"So, we'll find that Vasily motherf@*!er and no worries, hm?" He tried on the accent again. "Eh, pardner?" He held out his hand for her to shake.

--------------------
You aren't scared, are you?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Razzy
post Aug 31 2010, 04:34 PM
Post #47

Special Ops (4-D Super Curator)

Group: Gallery Moderators
Member No.: 39,817

"Alright," Alma let out a laugh and shook Matt's hand. She appreciated that he tried to make her feel better. She said, trying to be as psyched up as possible, "This'll be easy."

Then she turned to Radden and said as jokingly as possible (though she was honestly irritated), "I only have one question: Will you stop nay-saying and let me do my job as best as I can?"

Then she glanced at Cyril as she said, "Even Cyril should know that humans don't perform well when they succumb to negative thoughts, even if these thoughts are 'statistically correct'. It's mind over matter with humans. If you keep telling me I'll die, then of course I have less of a chance of surviving when all I'm thinking is 'I'm going to die because that android- who must be right because he's an android- said so'."

--------------------

C'mon, grab your friends. We'll go to very distant lands.
my deviantART

+Quote Post
The Mad Bomber
post Sep 2 2010, 11:22 AM
Post #48

Alchemists

Member No.: 45,405

Radden glanced back at her, he did not approve of her talking back at him, even joking around about the matter made things worse. Radden hissed at her with a vicious look in his eyes.

"You adress me as sir or I will have you do more than go after an expert sniper on his playground, understand?"

Cyril had sat there with his arms crossed and eyes closed, not reacting to Alma`s provocations, but after Radden had scolded her for talking back, Cyril opened his eyes. He looked blankly at her with, but as he did so, he seemed to despising her every for her very existance.

"And what you just said proves why you should not be here, if you are agitated by the facts that are presented to you then how can you ever hope to cope on the battlefield? You are immature, naive and you get agitated by simple social difficulties. Even taking that tone with me, won`t work. Do you know why? I see things for what they are, I do not sugar-coat them with pretty words and hope that the world won`t turn out to be as ugly as it truly is.

You have not even seen combat nor fought for your life, you simply killed and slaughtered enemies from an easy place. The world is coming and it`s about to b*tch-slap you across the face, so to speak. "

Cyril said with a inclination of anger on his normally emotionless face before glancing at Charlie and Uri, who actually knew something of the world and it`s cruelty.

--------------------

I am love, I am hate, I'm an atheist with faith, Vent my anger with a smile

+Quote Post
Razzy
post Sep 2 2010, 11:49 AM
Post #49

"How could you say if I've never fought?" Alma retorted to Cyril, trying her best to sound calm. "Just because I'm not a criminal doesn't mean I haven't seen my fair share of fighting. You know what this world is like. Nearly every day when I take a step outside I've had to defend myself against thieves, rapists, murderers, all kinds of people.

"But would you care if I told you that I've killed or escaped from every one of them? Even while I had a bad memory, I somehow managed to do that. It became a normal occurrance in my life. I can fight, and I've always been able to fight, even if it's not from an 'easy place'."

She glared back at Cyril. "Please don't tell me I can't handle this. Although it's different from what I've been used to, I can handle it." She stopped herself from telling him to stop jumping to conclusions. Though she only joined a couple of weeks ago; he couldn't possibly know everything about her.

--------------------

my deviantART

+Quote Post
The Mad Bomber
post Sep 2 2010, 12:46 PM
Post #50

Alchemists

"The world outside the cities is far more brutal, it is a simple fact, tough you may claim to have experience it may not mean anything in the outside world. Our foes are not simple-minded thugs or rapists, those are vermin, out here there are predators on the loose. "

Cyril said with a flat tone as the choppers blades hummed on the background, making his voice sound somehow emptier than it really was. They climbed high and swept over some hills, approaching the southern Urals from where they would head straight for their target.

"That having been said, you do not seem to understand me at all. I never said you did not have a fighting chance, but most likely Vasily will kill and then begin hunting us. Again, this is the most likely scenario. I do not judge you, I merely state the facts. You simply choose to be antagonized by my words, if there is anyone lowering your chances of survival, it is none other than you.

Truth be told this kind of behaviour is one of the reasons I have never been able comprehended you humans...."

Cyril said with a somewhat bored tone, he did not see a point in arguing with the stubborn little tramp and throwing her, along with Matt and Charlie, out of the chopper seemed like an appealing concept at the time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Razzy
post Sep 2 2010, 01:59 PM
Post #51

Alma shrugged and said simply, more like she was talking to herself, "I guess. But sometimes humans need more than just the facts."

She knew arguing never made progress. It was extremely exhausting. So she decided to not say any more.

'Are all androids like this? So anti-human?' Sure, Alma had probably seen a few androids in her lifetime, though she wouldn't remember such encounters anyway, since she couldn't remember most things in her life up to a few months ago.

Now calming down, she wondered if she should apologize to Radden. Or something. But she realized that seemed like an out-of-place thing to do in a place such as NULL. So instead she sat silently, and stared at the floor while thinking about nothing and playing with her hands.

--------------------

my deviantART

+Quote Post
That One Dude
post Sep 2 2010, 02:18 PM
Post #52

State Alchemist (Major)

"Shut the f**k up already, you god**mn machine. No one's interested in your statistics or how much you hate humans. If you've got such a huge problem with us, why don't you get yourself assigned to some other team? I've got half a mind to tear up your processor and blowtorch your CPU half to hell." He glanced over at Radden. "I don't care if it gets me in deep sh!t, either." He paused. "We aren't here to tell each other off, we're here as the dogs of some bigwig corporation, doing their dirty work. So it'd very likely be best that that damn machine stops acting so condescending; it's not like he's human, so it's not like he should care so much about whether a member of the team he's been assigned to is more likely to survive or not."

He glanced out the window of the chopper, looking irritated. He didn't even want to be there, and some glorified computer was gonna start acting all high and mighty? No sir, he wouldn't have any of that. "F**king computers should be on f**king desktops, not field missions." He mumbled irritably.

He rubbed the bridge of his nose, wondering how long it would take for them to get to the mission. As dangerous or as suicidal as his and Alma's assignment would've been, he didn't care; he accepted death, he had no qualms with it. He was just getting tired of hearing the android say the same thing to him over and over again and watching Alma try to defend herself only to have the same thing repeated over to her once more. It was as though neither party really wanted to listen to the other. He just wanted them both to shut up so he could take a nap, and so Alma wouldn't be a jittery mess when they were out on the field looking for a sniper; it wouldn't do well at all.

Refusing to speak any further unless it was a direct command, he closed his eyes, leaning his head back. He wished he had something to cover his ears with...

--------------------

+Quote Post
MaiShadowAlchemi...
post Sep 2 2010, 06:01 PM
Post #53

Alchemists

Member No.: 47,159

"So...after such a sweet and a philosophic heart-to-heart talk...did you guys found out anything that we didnt knew already? Besides, of course, of a new level of frustation?" Charlie asked, a dry smirk in her lips. "I'm just curious...HOW does knowing AND denying that we're technically weak, predictable, pathetic beings gonna change the fact that we ARE infact all of that?" She asked "We all die, we all fall down...embrace it and move the f*!@ on. 'Cause if you listen REALLY HARD you can just about make out the sound of nobody giving a DAMN" She hissed, clearly talking to all of them. Shortly after that, she shighed softly, almost as if frustrated with her own snapping "Screw it....life's too short to give a damn..." She grumbled, this time mostly to herself.

--------------------

(\_/) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your
(O.o) signature to help him on his way to
(><) world domination.

+Quote Post
The Mad Bomber
post Sep 5 2010, 12:30 PM
Post #54

Alchemists

The sudden bickering was interrupted by a sudden burst of laughter as Radden seemed to be enjoying the fact, that his subordinates were arguing amongst one another. Cyril noted the laughter with a cold sneer, but Radden simply chuckled at the reaction Cyril provided and then drew deep breath as, if to control his own laughter.

"Ah... the funny thing about this is that never in these four years, that I`ve been in command of this unit, have I heard this kind of heated discussion between my soldiers. Either Cyril has really struck a nerve by going after the youngest in the pack or you people are simply not content on being cold and placid as, if you never met one another."

Radden smothered the rest of his cigarette on his seat, he scratched his head with an amused smirk on his face, but did not look at the team, who seemed to be a bit taken aback by their commanders words and reaction. Radden looked at Cyril first with a piercing gaze and then at the rest of the team with warning glare.

"Cyril, stop pestering her, it`s not your job to estimate her performance, it`s mine. The rest of you need to understand, that Cyril here has already lived one-human life-span so what do you think another would mean to him? Nothing, he`s going to keep on going and everyone around him are going to keep on falling. Needless to say, he`s seen more death than all of us combined.

Seeing that much death is bound to mess someone up..."

Radden said the last sentence as a whisper and more to himself than the rest of the team, he knew that he had to excert some rate of authority over them in cases like these and act as a mediator in order to keep them from ripping each others apart.

--------------------

+Quote Post
That One Dude
post Sep 9 2010, 10:15 PM
Post #55

State Alchemist (Major)

"It's bound to screw up a human. Not a machine." Matt spoke once more, seeing as his point hadn't gotten across. "A human would go crazy at seeing death. Not a machine. If it is going to pretend to be human by making our lives miserable, it's better off staying the calculator it actually is, as opposed to talking down to us." He stretched out his legs slightly, bored. "It's acting a little condescending, y'know... even if we poor, emotional humans are too much baggage for it to handle, it really shouldn't matter. The binary code is all it ever needs to do, all it ever needs to know. If it feels the intense need to rebel against us, why, oh why does it work for you?"

He spoke flatly, and mostly to himself, genuinely confused. The android wasn't supposed to give a crap about them, yet it had been for some time. And now Radden was defending it. He didn't get this at all. He just wanted to crawl into a hole and stop existing; the world was too crazy for his tastes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Mad Bomber
post Sep 10 2010, 11:57 AM
Post #56

Alchemists

(Ah sry for these delays in my posts, I just started studying again so I`ve been kinda busy and lazy at the same time.)

Without a moments notice Cyril sprung from his seat and grabbed Matt by the collar, from there he procceeded to almost throw/draw him to the open edge of the chopper, dangling him in the air. Cyril stared blankly Matt in the eyes with the widest, most sadistic smirk he could conjure and he had seen such an expression on the faces of psychotic murderers all too often. He had considered going for the throat, but that would have been highly inconvenient considering that it might have made Matt`s last words that much harder. Radden sprung from his seat, but froze to observe the situation in silence with a frown on his face. Radden could attack Cyril, but that would only conclude in Matt`s death. Matt would fall and Cyril might not, but even if Cyril fell he would not be killed by the fall. Damaged? Yes, but not destroyed.

"What would a little .... like you know of the world? A teenager and all ready strutting about like a man, claiming to know something of the world? You think my flesh is not human? You think it hasn`t been carved off the body of some man to give me his image? You think a machine cannot know pain? Maybe it is as you say and that I am holding your life within the palm of my hand simply to prove a point.... But what if!?

Perhaps this machine has learned to talk, to walk, to feel like humans do? Yet that is what you are afraid of, aren`t you? When even a machine can emulate, exist akin to you, it takes away everything that makes you special. Tough I am just jumping to conclusions here, there is a seed of truth in that statement. I think that deep down, underneath that childish and immature shell, which you use to shield yourself from the world, you know that I am telling the truth.

This is the basic nature of man, when you realize my nature, you feel insecure when I do not bow to your every command and call you `master`. You feel threatened by that which is superior to you in every aspect and is not within your power! Oh how easy it`s to see the truth! Not even that CEO is an exception, save his ego has caused him to to view the entire world with suspicion. You are all alike in the end and I feel that your current predicament reflects that extremely well."

Cyril stopped to stare downwards, at the ground many hundred meters below them, and chuckled at the mere thought of letting go. He then brought his gaze upwards and stopped at the gun hanging on Matt`s belt, but this did not seem to calm the jovial mood that the android had begun to express suddenly nor the psychotic glare in his eyes, that would have made anyone believe he was actually human.

"I implore you, go for your gun and shoot, it won`t matter I won`t die from that. Or maybe you`d prefer to use one of your knives? No, no, I get it. Why not entertain us with another one of your witty comments, that seem to come to you so naturally? Hmh? That is after all what you do best."

Cyril inquired with dodgy expression on his face whilst Radden seemed to gritting his teeth evermore loudly, in the year that Cyril had been with them he had never exhibited such attitude nor laid a hand on another team member. Maybe something had finally snapped in the artificial mind? Maybe there was something that he recalled, like an unpleasant memory, a bad dream coming back to haunt it. Moreover it Radden actually worry, that Cyril actually thought like a human, which would be very bad indeed.

Because all the humans Cyril had ever known were either criminals, madmen or mercenaries.

--------------------

+Quote Post
That One Dude
post Sep 10 2010, 07:58 PM
Post #57

State Alchemist (Major)

The only reply from Matt was a snort, and a coy little sh*t-eating grin. "Oh, I'm sorry. I guess I hurt your feelings, didn't I? Do you want me to grovel, or would it be more satisfactory for you to drop me?" The smile vanished. "I'm not gonna bother trying to do anything to retaliate. You should have read my file, you should know perfectly well why I'm not gonna feel threatened at being held within an inch of my life." He cocked his head to the side. "But you're going to meet another *sshole like me again, and again, and again. What are you gonna do? Drop 'em off of choppers whenever they piss you off? Hardly seems like the high path to take, if you really think you are better than us.

"Yeah, I feel threatened that you act superior to us. I'll admit that. But anyone would feel threatened when you act like a psychopath. The least you could do, and I mean the least, is not show any disrespect for the people that work with you. It's not good for anybody, and then dumb sh*t like this happens." He finally glanced below him. Strangely, he felt no vertigo at all. Even knowing that he was only being held up by a psychotic android and cheap cloth that was strained to its point of tearing, he actually felt quite calm, and stared back up at his grinning face.

"Drop me if you want; it's all the same to me. I just feel glad that I'm gonna have one thing that you never will.

"Death."

Ah, the thought of eternal rest. It certainly was a shame if someone didn't have it. Or rather, Matt considered this, then took the thought back since Cyril was acting something like a bratty child in his eyes. He was supposed to be 70-something years old; if anything, the boy thought he should have sage experience and advice, rather than regarding everybody with the same animosity as ever. But, he knew he couldn't change the robot. Nothing an no one would probably ever be able to.

"Just drop me. I'm just another bug on your windshield." Emboldened, he slowly raised his hand towards Cyril's face...

... and flicked him on the forehead.

"Do it, you mechanical f**got. Do it!" He squealed like a little kid asking to be taken on a roller coaster ride.

((I get the feeling that this is gonna be rather anti-climactic... *snort* Matt b trollin'))

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Mad Bomber
post Sep 11 2010, 03:54 AM
Post #58

Alchemists

Cyril`s facial expression mellowed down to a blank, emotionless stare as he listened to Matt`s rambling. On the background Radden had taken a step closer, but did not interfere, hoping that the android would get a grip and let the snotty brat go. Radden did not intend to loose any people before even getting to the mission, he would need each and everyone of them, tough he was not certain whether that anymore included Cyril. Even in Radden`s eyes, Cyril had suddenly become a threat instead of an annoyance and the last thing they needed was an enemy in their midst when there would be a ten fold outside.

"Charming as ever, but if these truly are your last words then I am not impressed. Death? Who would want to die? I certainly would not find the idea compelling, but since you seem to be so keen on it, why not give it a try?"

Cyril said with a chilling tone as he tossed Matt out of his grasp and sent him plumetting into the ground. Without batting an eyelash he spun around and sat back to his seat, ignoring the shocked and angry expressions directed at him. It seemed as tough he had just squashed a bug beneath his heel and continued walking without a second thought. They would hate and fear him for what he had just done, the cultivation of fear. Fear would keep them honest, to him and themselves, and at least Cyril knew that their betrayal was coming.

-----------

After having plummeted a hundred meters into what seemed certain death, something yanked Matt into a sudden halt and suspended him in the air. An invisible force had wrapped itself around his legs, dangling upside down in the air like some kind of human marionette. A few meters above Matt levitated Radden, who seemed to be perfectly at ease at that height with the use of his psionic powers. Tough the truth was that Radden could not hold on forever and that levitating for long periods of time was exhausting, the grin widening on his face told of that. In addition his range was naturally limited hence he was forced to jump out of the chopper as well in order to catch up to Matt.

Being a psychic also granted other little powers, that Radden found to be making his life, that much easier and even saving his life many times over. Telepathy for one, which he had just used to call back the second chopper to pick them up. Needless to say Radden was not going to place Matt, nor himself, in the same space as Cyril. In advance, right after he had jumped after Matt himself, Radden had also sent a message to the minds of the rest of the team.

Don`t provoke him any further, we do not need him to start tossing the rest of you overboard not to mention destroying the whole chopper while you try to fight him in such an enclosed space. Leave him alone and I will deal with the matter once we get to the target.

Radden glanced at Matt, then at the chopper approaching. As soon as the chopper came above them Radden almost tossed Matt into the chopper and followed by slowly levitating down to chopper floor. Radden grinned widely with a grim expression on his face as, if he was about to snap someone`s neck. He could not afford this kind of idiocy, from Cyril nor the rest of the team. Yet in all that Cyril had just done there was an inclination of logic, it was simply, but insane and Cyril was not insane, a machine could not be insane could it?

Radden had a gut feeling, that there was something going on and that he had not been informed of it.

------------

After an hour the choppers finally slid into the valley and approached the concerete complex silently. The sniper had probably picked them up already, hopefully these mercs were not already planning on turning on their employers. Luckily that was not the case and they landed safely to the edge of the complex, which was surrounded by a misfit group of trucks and tents.

The mercenary camp seemed to liven up a bit as they saw the choppers arriving at the scene, some of them eyed the group exiting the choppers with suspicion and even laughed as they saw two kids, who were supposed to part of some kind of `elite` group that was going to handle the rest. Then again their faces were not as jovial when they saw the rest of the group, most of them even recognizing Radden to some extent.

Colonel Radden, the only survivor of the Vienna Fortress massacre, enough stories were flying about him as it were. Radden did not make note of the stares and gathered his team, tough Cyril remained at the chopper, further away from the group as he knew that Radden wanted to give Cyril a piece of his mind. Radden glared at the rest of the team with anxienty and frustration shining through his normally calm exterior.

"Cyril is staying here at the camp. I`ll be damned, if I send off to die by his hand. Scouts, remember, we aren`t hostile with these people so all you have to do is find the sniper and report to me, nothing else yet. The rest of you will scour the base, I`ll see, if I can learn what these mercs have found out and at the same time see what`s wrong with the walking bucket of bolts."

Radden informed the team with bluntly of the situation and decided that it was best not to have his scouts kill the sniper, yet. The rest of the team would be safe from the sniper inside the base, Cyril wouldn`t matter and he himself could always stick close to the mercenaries in order to avoid being shot, hoping the sniper was not keen on killing his comrades.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Razzy
post Sep 12 2010, 11:25 AM
Post #59

Alma nodded at Radden's orders and then turned to Matt, "Glad to see you're still alive." She said this out of both shock and relief.

She really couldn't do much about the android going completely crazy and trying to throw one of their allies out of a helicopter. Sure, Alma might have been faster, but Cyril was stronger. So there was no way she could have stopped him. Though they were lucky that Radden was there.

"So let's go." Alma started into the base, still a bit shocked from the whole incident. Now she was not sure which was a bigger threat- the sniper or the android.

She said to Matt sarcastically, "Cyril must be malfunctioning big time." But she showed her anger when she added, "What the hell is wrong with h-... it?" She was going to say 'him', but quickly corrected herself. That thing didn't deserve to be considered anything other than a machine.

--------------------

my deviantART

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2016 - 01:23 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css