Reply to this topicStart new topic
Shadows Of The Paragon, Post-apocalyptic madness
Razzy
post Aug 26 2010, 10:23 AM
Post #31

Special Ops (4-D Super Curator)

Group: Gallery Moderators
Member No.: 39,817

Alma stared at the arm Cyril was disassembling, as though studying it. Although she wanted to disagree with him, she couldn't.

"Yeah. I've been thinking that too. When I look around at everyone else, I wonder what I'm doing here. But I've made it this far. I know most people here don't have much confidence in me," She said the last sentence with a bit of regret, but added in better spirits, "Either way, I'm going to do whatever I can. I'm stronger than I look."

She continued watching Cyril work on the arm, memorizing the pieces; with whatever she had seen, she would already be able figure out how to take it apart, reassemble it, fix it, whatever. How useful was that information? Not very useful. But she had far less useful things memorized, like the nutrition facts of a bottle of cola or the periodic table of the elements.

"Though you're wrong about one thing; I don't have trouble processing anything. I just get headaches; it's a reaction that will eventually stop. I only got this implant a little over a month ago, y'know." She paused, thinking. "If someone gets a stomachache after eating a lot, it doesn't mean the food won't digest. It's like that."

--------------------

C'mon, grab your friends. We'll go to very distant lands.
my deviantART
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Mad Bomber
post Aug 26 2010, 10:36 AM
Post #32

Alchemists

Group: Members
Member No.: 45,405

Cyril stopped his work and turned to look at her with a frown on his face, she did not comprehend her standing at all nor what she would be facing in the future. People, who came to NULL usually had very short life expectansies, tough that depended on the person. Looking at her, Cyril could see that she would not make it, looking at her Cyril saw a liability that he had no time to look after or do it`s work for it. He was not complementing her, he was insulting her.

"That was not my point, the mere fact that you have trouble adapting to such an implant is a problem, in essence that implant is the only good thing about you. You are a human with no special abilities save one and it causes you trouble to begin with, you`ve had a couple easy missions and when all hell breaks loose, you`ll most likely end up dead. Essentially you are a liability and by all logic you should not be here to begin with.

Human confidence is but the beginning of their downfall."

Cyril said with a hostile tone before turning back to his work, continuing to adjust the arm and add a few parts in it for future missions.

--------------------

I am love, I am hate, I'm an atheist with faith, Vent my anger with a smile

+Quote Post
Razzy
post Aug 26 2010, 11:22 AM
Post #33

Alma was irritated by Cyril's reply, made worse by her fear of what was ahead of her (which she would never admit, since she seemed to be in denial of it). She returned Cyril's harsh tone, "Well, I am here. But I don't see how I'm a liability; why would anyone care if I died? I'm one scout. You have Matt."

She was no longer interested in staring at the arm, so she stormed off to the other side of the room to grab ammo, all the while still talking.

"Either way, I'm staying here. I'm not going to ask for help, or protection, or anything from you guys. And I haven't done that yet, have I? No. So do what you do best: mind your own business." Her voice started to get shaky toward the end, from a combination of anger and a little bit of panic.

--------------------

my deviantART

+Quote Post
The Mad Bomber
post Aug 26 2010, 01:26 PM
Post #34

Alchemists

"Stubborness is also one reason why people such as yourselves end up dead..."

Cyril pointed out as he began to re-assemble the arm into a whole, he seemed calm and collected as he worked the pieces together as well as continued his debate with Alma. Humans were blind in that manner, they closed off all the unpleasant things that came their way, if they possibly could. This one might get herself and her partner killed, but she remained obstinate that there was nothing she could do about it. Ignorance was bliss, but once someone grabbed them by the head and forced them to look at the ugly truth, they started to get all riled up, each in their own way. Truly, humans were so weak yet managed to cause so much trouble and create all kinds of things.

Cyril pondered whether there were only a select few in the human race, who always carried their race to the next century.

"Yet even, if you say that no one would care about your death, I think we both are fully aware that is simply not true." Cyril said with a blank expression shadowing his face, which made it look unnatural as no human could remain so emotionless unless."Also as you are paired with Matt, who has shown some underlying potential at such a young age, your lives are quite bound whether you like it or not. If there is something, that the two of you are unable to tackle because of your imconpetence then I sincerely doubt poor little, foul mouthed, Matt will survive such an ordeal alone either."

Cyril continued the line of thought, even throwing in a tease about her family, knowing that it was usually a soft-spot for humans. Attack the basic unit of human society, the family and humans got all messed up, one way or another.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Razzy
post Aug 26 2010, 02:30 PM
Post #35

Alma did not know what to say, though she calmed down and walked back to stand near Cyril. She was annoyed, but not as much as before.

Once again, she had to agree. She shrugged, and said, almost amused, Well, I can be more stubborn than the average person.

And Ill stay here if I can be of help to Matt- or anyone, for that matter. But if Im honestly a burden or a threat to our team- and I dont mean you just telling me I dont belong here- Ill leave. Okay?

Then she waved her hand casually, as if to shoo away the constant negativity that she was tired of getting from Cyril. She said with a smile, I can handle this. Don't try to tell me otherwise.

--------------------

my deviantART

+Quote Post
That One Dude
post Aug 28 2010, 08:10 PM
Post #36

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 46,559

As soon as Matt entered the armory to get himself some ammo, he could tell that whatever Alma and Cyril had been talking about, it had been rather tense. You can practically smell the hostility here. He decided not to butt into anything, though, simply grabbing whatever he needed and getting out of there as quickly as possible, whistling a merry tune as he searched for the proper equipment.

'Don't mind me, anyone, I'm just an innocent bystander.' He thought to himself with a twinge of dark humor. 'Oh no! Seems I got shot. Darn.'

He strapped an extra gun on his back and walked out of the room, hoping that whatever the android had said didn't affect Alma too much. But, it wasn't like he could do anything about it, either... dropping the same corny line wouldn't be likely to make her laugh again.

--------------------
You aren't scared, are you?

+Quote Post
MaiShadowAlchemi...
post Aug 29 2010, 06:25 PM
Post #37

Alchemists

Member No.: 47,159

Charlie rubbed her arm softly as she tried to sooth the burning itch in it, bitting her lip to distract herself from the urge of literally wanting to tear her skin apart. "We're late...and standing outside the girls bathroom isnt really my idea of fun" Uri's voice said outside the door. Charlie pulled her sleeve down and quickly wiped the cold sweat in her forehead "I'm coming" She said as she tried to simulate her usual relaxed expression. But when she walked outside the bathroom she just found Uri's frowning face "Everything ok?" He asked "You dont ask a girl that when she walks out of the bathroom....it's rude" She said pouting theatrically as she calmly walked down the hallway and into the armory, just to stop awkwardly when she saw Alma and Cyril. "Ignore us" She whispered innocently before she walked toward the ammo shelfs, shortly followed by Uri who once again just gave them a greeting nod.

--------------------

(\_/) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your
(O.o) signature to help him on his way to
(><) world domination.

+Quote Post
Razzy
post Aug 29 2010, 07:55 PM
Post #38

Alma was tired of arguing. She knew that Cyril would not listen to her anyway. So she turned to walk away and saw Matt, Charlie, and Uri. She hadn't realized that the other members had already left the debriefing room. She frowned, hoping they hadn't heard her outburst earlier. But soon her expression lightened.

"Hi there," she called out cheerfully, quickly trying to catch Matt. She was genuinely glad that she could talk to someone who wouldn't talk down to her. She knew Matt would surely hold a more friendly conversation than the one she had just walked away from.

--------------------

my deviantART

+Quote Post
The Mad Bomber
post Aug 30 2010, 03:54 AM
Post #39

Alchemists

Cyril finished working on the arm, he swiftly swung it around and slid it back into place. As the arm clicked back and he regained control of it, he swung it about as, if to test it. Seemingly satisfied with the condition Cyril smirked, a little, but only for a split second before his face returned to it`s normal emotionless state. Throughout the base there was a loud and resounding announcement, the voice of Radden rang through the corridors and on the background a humming sound could be heard.

All right people, looks like we got speedy reply after all, pack up and load onto the choppers.

Cyril quickly grabbed what little gear he used and headed for the helipad. He a number of personnel carrying equipment from the armoury to the choppers. At the choppers he simply got onboard and sat down, glancing briefly at Radden, who was sitting in the front of the chopper. Apparently the colonel had seen fit to accompany them on this mission and that meant one thing, there was need of more than his leadership and tactical abilities.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MaiShadowAlchemi...
post Aug 30 2010, 07:15 AM
Post #40

Alchemists

Charlie quickly loaded her 2 guns, grabbed some extra ammo and a few emergency grenades, before she turn around ready to leave. "Yes?" She asked warily as she saw Uri looking at her "I'm just gonna ask once again....everything ok?" He asked dryly. She didnt even have to think about it; the lie came as naturally as the truth "Well once again: yes" She said. Uri just nooded in what seemed an indifferent manner, closed his guitar case -now full of loaded guns- and walked out of the armory and toward the chopper, followed by Charlie.

--------------------

(><) world domination.

+Quote Post
That One Dude
post Aug 30 2010, 11:35 AM
Post #41

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 46,559

"Howdy, pardner." Sporting an accent that had probably died out years ago, he hoisted a couple of handguns at the holster on his belt and started walking to the helipad. "I reckon we gonna go shoot us up some yellow-bellied, chicken-livered churls now, ain't we?" He paused. "Whatever the hell that means." He murmured, letting his voice drift back to normal. He smiled a little at her. "You alright?" He wasn't one to show much concern, but he worried about Alma. She wasn't part of the slimy underbelly that most of the others, including himself, were from. For some reason, he found himself wanting to keep her away from that. "I mean, you're prepared, right? Got all you need?"

As he boarded the chopper, he held out his hand to help her inside.

--------------------
You aren't scared, are you?

+Quote Post
Razzy
post Aug 30 2010, 11:59 AM
Post #42

Alma couldn't help but laugh a little at Matt's faux-accent. It was a weird accent that she had never heard before, but she thought his impression was funny nonetheless.

"Oh, thanks," she said when he offered his hand. When she got into the chopper, she sighed, but said with a touch of amusement, "Yeah, I'm alright. Mr. Android over there just isn't very nice."

She stared up for a moment, as though there was something interesting on the ceiling. Then she turned back to Matt and said, "He says I'm going to die." She stated this as though she was not disturbed. If anything, she seemed a bit thoughtful about it. She was considering asking Matt for his opinion on the matter, but she was afraid he would agree with Cyril.

Then her expression lightened up. "So I told him he can shove it." She smiled and shrugged.

--------------------

my deviantART

+Quote Post
The Mad Bomber
post Aug 30 2010, 01:49 PM
Post #43

Alchemists

Radden glanced over his shoulder at his two scouts with a suspicious look on his face as he heard a part of Alma`s explenation, he then procceeded to grin at Cyril, who simply disregarded the commanders reaction with abject hostility.

"Statistically speaking, he`s absolutely right, you`re f*!@ed."

Radden said over his shoulder to Alma, but did not seem to be all too thrilled pointing out the facts. He lit his cigarette and straightened his legs against the pilot`s seat, who had yet to arrive. Radden seemed to relax and glanced over his shoulder again with the cigarette entrenched between his teeth.

"But then again there was this guy once, a former priest, who said that one death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic. Well, goes to show how f*!@ed up that guy was and how he managed to become a mass murderer. In closing, whatever Cyril says, he bases on statistics and calculations, arriving at the most likely conclusion.

Sure he, freaks you out, but in the end he`s not exactly born as a much nor brought up in our society. In addition, at the end of the day he`s the only one, who can take a bullet and be guarenteed to live afterward. The only thing he, or I, can ask of you is that you do your job and stay alive so that we do not need to see another rookies head splattered all over the walls..."

Radden spoke with a somewhat sarcastic tone, but underneath it all he meant every word he said. It was true that Cyril proved, unsocial to say the least, but he was skilled and a valuable addition to the team. Whatever Cyril said would not affect nor concern the rest of the team as long as they focused on their jobs.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MaiShadowAlchemi...
post Aug 30 2010, 05:48 PM
Post #44

Alchemists

"Yep that's a classic warm welcome...death predictions based in calculations, plus the always-optimistics quotes of dictators" Charlie's voice said cheerfully as she jumped into the chopper with Uri. "But you know, somebody once also said...-we are all going to hell...we might as well enjoy the ride-" She announced theatrically to Alma, her voice being the closest to friendly you could get from her -of course, the mocking tone never leaving- "Halle-f*!@ing-lujah" Uri scoffed.

--------------------

(><) world domination.

+Quote Post
The Mad Bomber
post Aug 31 2010, 12:38 AM
Post #45

Alchemists

Radden glanced at Uri and Charlie, more at the latter, with a venomous gaze. Radden didn`t think much of Charlie nor the fact how Uri seemed to endorse every obnoxious thing, that came out of her mouth. Yet then again he had not picked them for the team and their skills couldn`t be denied, they had been with them the longest thus far save for him and a few others.

"I wasn`t aware you knew anything about history Charlotte, not too many people might recognize these quotes these days. The world is more worried, and concentrated on, scraping every little piece of wealth and land they can. It`s a brave new world and we are about to meet some of the most bloodthirsty mercenaries it has ever seen, aside from us, of course."

Radden dialed something onto the choppers main frame, in the back a small screen flashed into life and presented a picture of a rugged group of soldiers. Their ages seemed to range from 16 to almost 50 years old, their commander didn`t seem picky in his line up and seemed to be willing to take anything with enough skills to tag along with his group.

"They are the mercenary band, who went to check out the situation, we might get some trouble from them should there be any major problems.... `The Harpers`, not that they go around playing the harp mind you, but when their commander decides to name the group after himself, there is not much you can do. Joachim Harper, cold-blooded SOB, who would do anything for profit and has his men most likely stripping the colony clean of anything he finds, tough he won`t be dumb enough to touch actual Paragon property."

Radden said with a cold tone, clearly despising the man he was talking about and it seemed as tough he actually knew the person in question. He grinned a bit as he seemed to be adding something to the screen.

"Yet I don`t want you to draw any attention to him, it`s this guy instead."

Another face flashed onto the screen, or a mask would have been more appropriate. The man wore a black, ragged combat outfit, coupled with a greenish cloak. His face was covered by a hood, but what little was seen of his face was hid underneath a bone white mask with redish, glowing eyes. In the picture he carried a large caliber, high powered sniper rifle with a pipod on his shoulder. He seemed to be staring back at the camera with murderous intent as, if he was about to come alive and fire at them.

"Codename: Vasily, male, estimated age ranging from twenty to fourty years of age, real name? Not a clue, not even Joachim knows who this guy really is. The reason he wasn`t on the picture earlier is because he only recently joined up with Harper and his men, intel says he actually ambushed these guys and then sent them on a wild goose chase after two days of harassing them. Eventually he met with them again at Moscow, having proved his abilities, Harper seemed to be more than willing to take him in tough it disgruntled some of his men.

Been around for a few years, attacked entire convoy`s alone and this can be credited to the fact that he has been able to deliver shots from two kilometers. Closer than that? Pinpoint accuracy from a kilometer. As far as I am concerned, once we go in there, we are on their territory and it`s all thanks to this guy.

If he`s somewhere out there, on high ground, we are basicly like sitting ducks, if we can`t find his whereabouts. We aren`t enemies, but I wouldn`t trust these mercenaries, nor leave anything to chance with them."

Radden said with a sour tone in his voice as he was clearly allowing himself to be cornered, but they didn`t have the luxury of time on their side as there was no telling what was going on in the base. The mercenaries had entered the bases outer-perimiter yet there was no word from the heart of the colony, which made it all the more worisome. He would have to split his rescources.

"Our job is to go in there, salvage anything useful and to eliminate any threat, survivors are a secondary objective. Charlie will be in charge of finding the main frame of the colony and recovering any research material, Cyril will act as back up. Matt and Alma will locate our friend, Vasily. Uri will investigate the base for anything useful and see if there any survivors still left. Questions?"

Radden inquired as the chopper began to slowly ascend into the sky, they would be at their destination relatively quickly tough they had a chance to take a breather now that they were in flight.

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th June 2016 - 09:33 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css