HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 64: Journey's End - Content Discussion Thread, Warning, spoilers for the entire Brotherhood series
GlowingMeteorAlc...
post Nov 26 2012, 11:12 AM
Post #121

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 91,776

QUOTE (Abdulkareem Sheraif @ Nov 26 2012, 04:23 AM) *
Hey, I'm sorry to post this here because I'm not supposed to but this is the most active discussion on the website. I have a few questions.
1. Is there a website with regularly updated news for the series like Kanzenshuu.com for Dragon Ball?
2. Did the author ever in some capacity or other mention that she might some day write new material or have something produced as anime?
3. Where is it possible to read all the author's interviews in English?
4. Where can I find an English translation of the Chronicles guidebook?
5. Is there any difference between Brotherhood and the manga? I love the series a lot but if there is no difference I would much rather rewatch the anime than read the manga.
Thank you very much

There are a few differences between the manga and Brotherhood, mainly the addition of the episode with Isaac McDougal and a recap episode, while the Youswell and train hijacking parts of the storyline were omitted because they were already covered in the first anime. The Youswell incident is shown as a flashback later on, though. A few relatively unimportant scenes from the manga were altered and/or omitted from Brotherhood. Other than that, there are no significant differences between Brotherhood and the manga. I don't know about the other questions though.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
A Pierrot's Aria
post Nov 27 2012, 04:43 AM
Post #122

Special Ops (Friendly Member Advisor)
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 68,926

QUOTE (Abdulkareem Sheraif @ Nov 26 2012, 09:23 AM) *
Hey, I'm sorry to post this here because I'm not supposed to but this is the most active discussion on the website. I have a few questions.
1. Is there a website with regularly updated news for the series like Kanzenshuu.com for Dragon Ball?
2. Did the author ever in some capacity or other mention that she might some day write new material or have something produced as anime?
3. Where is it possible to read all the author's interviews in English?
4. Where can I find an English translation of the Chronicles guidebook?
5. Is there any difference between Brotherhood and the manga? I love the series a lot but if there is no difference I would much rather rewatch the anime than read the manga.
Thank you very much

1. The only places that keep up with any updated news are here and maybe some LiveJournal groups like FMA herald, to be honest. That being said, there really isn't any updated news for FMA and if there is it's very few and far between. The series has ended and the movie came out quite a while ago, and the last unabridged edition of the manga came out in September. There just isn't anything new going on with FMA now, really. If there is something new, however, it's usually posted on this website.

2. Hiromu Arakawa is currently working on her manga, entitled Silver Spoon. You can check out our Silver Spoon subforum for more info on that.

3. I personally don't know if there are any translations online, but if I remember correctly, there are interviews in the first two artbooks which were released in English. (I can't remember if it was just in one or both of them, though).

4. I don't think anyone has translated it, unfortunately. As awesome as it would be, it's a pretty hefty book and would probably take quite a while to translate.

5. It's already been explained by another member, but I'd recommend both reading the manga and watching the anime. They're both great!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Abdulkareem Sher...
post Nov 27 2012, 06:29 AM
Post #123

Citizen

Member No.: 97,049

Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate it. Does anyone know if Arakawa ever said that she might continue Fullmetal Alchemist. I read somewhere that maybe in the future she might write a short about Mustang becoming Fuhrer, is this true?

+Quote Post
A Pierrot's Aria
post Nov 27 2012, 08:08 AM
Post #124

Special Ops (Friendly Member Advisor)
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 68,926

No worries!

Yeah, she did say at some point that if she were to ever write a spinoff of FMA, it would be about Mustang and his team. (I think that was it. xD)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Abdulkareem Sher...
post Nov 28 2012, 01:53 AM
Post #125

Citizen

Do you have any idea when she said that? And did she ever specify when? Also was the OVA reflections ever released in Japan or anywhere else as a home video? Is there anywhere I can watch it?
Thank you

+Quote Post
Abdulkareem Sher...
post Nov 28 2012, 01:57 AM
Post #126

Citizen

Also does Arakawa have an official website or regularly updated fan sites? Are there any petitions or something going on I should know about? I am very sorry for the many posts and thank you all for your help.

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Nov 29 2012, 07:51 AM
Post #127

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

QUOTE (Abdulkareem Sheraif @ Nov 28 2012, 04:53 AM) *
Do you have any idea when she said that? And did she ever specify when? Also was the OVA reflections ever released in Japan or anywhere else as a home video? Is there anywhere I can watch it?...

I think that was sometime after the last chapter was released? (not sure though, it was while ago xd) And, no that was if she were to make gaiden, and she did not go any further with that. I remember watching OVA reflection on you-tube, but that was long time ago, and I don't know where we can watch it now. Hopefully some of us can find it again. smile.gif

QUOTE (Abdulkareem Sheraif @ Nov 28 2012, 04:57 AM) *
Also does Arakawa have an official website or regularly updated fan sites? Are there any petitions or something going on I should know about? I am very sorry for the many posts and thank you all for your help.

No, no, and no, sorry, and no problem. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Abdulkareem Sher...
post Nov 29 2012, 08:19 AM
Post #128

Citizen

Thank you very much for your help. I hope she one day does decide to continue though!

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Nov 30 2012, 08:23 AM
Post #129

Group Icon

You're very welcome, Abdulkareem Sheraif. I hope someday she will change her mind and decided to write FMA gaiden, too. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Abdulkareem Sher...
post Dec 2 2012, 12:45 PM
Post #130

Citizen

Does anyone know where I can find the complete plot and story of the many video games (including those released only in Japan)?
Thank you

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Dec 3 2012, 10:50 PM
Post #131

Group Icon

QUOTE (Abdulkareem Sheraif @ Dec 2 2012, 03:45 PM) *
Does anyone know where I can find the complete plot and story of the many video games (including those released only in Japan)?
Thank you

Not sure this may help, but we had some discussions on FMA games as they were released. You can read these discussions on discussion threads for these games. But, I don't think we compiled story-lines for all the FMA games.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Abdulkareem Sher...
post Dec 4 2012, 08:20 AM
Post #132

Citizen

That is helpful. Thank you

+Quote Post
titbug
post Dec 27 2012, 09:28 AM
Post #133

Citizen

Member No.: 97,910

I just finished watching both series and movies so I am finally free to read the forum and post without fear of being spoiled! So while this is a late response and the original posters may not be around to read it anymore, I can’t help but give my two cents here.

Question: Dr. Marcoh says he can help Mustang regain his vision with the philosopher's stone. However, from something Honeheim said earlier, isn't that impossible?

Well here my understanding comes from something I thought when I first saw the scene with Izumi – before I knew what would happen later. It did not seem to me he was saying he cannot do it because of ability – actually it was clearly implied earlier in the series that philosopher’s stones can heal – I think he was unwilling to do it because of principle – the same kind of principle that pushes Ed and Al to refuse to use the stone to get their bodies back once they find out how the stones are made. He just does not want to counter-act the “punishment for a sin” that the Truth inflicts on people.
I remember thinking it was ambiguous at the time and later events seem to go in the direction of “unwilling, not unable”. I mean after Al “dies” to get Ed his arm back, Hohenheim clearly offers them to use his stone/life to bring Al back – even though Al lost his body as a price for human transmutation in the first place. So that would be an even more egregious contradiction than Marcoh’s repairing Mustang’s sight. Clearly if he offers, it means the stone CAN do it. He just did not want to do it at the time he met Izumi.
So if there is a contradiction, that’s in the change of Hohenheim’s attitude (since Marcoh never said he could not do it) and that can be explained in many ways: many things have happened in between that may make Hohenheim willing to drop those principles. On top of it, by using his stone, he would be sacrificing his own life to bring his son back so technically he would fit within the equivalent exchange principle still – stone or no stone. So he may not even have dropped that principle. He is still acting within those parameters.
So the stone CAN do it. I think the issue was Hohenheim’s sentence being ambiguous when he talked to Izumi (maybe intentionally so that she wouldn’t ask him to do it if he can?) rather than a contradiction.

Why did Hohenheim die?

They don’t explain what the trigger for his death is but clearly it is explained why he is at the end of his rope by the time he does die. If you remember, to create the circle of transmutation that he uses to give Amestrians their souls back, he took the stones inside of himself to plant around the country. So by the time he reaches the final battle, he has already given up much of the source of his immortality. Then when he is protecting Al and Ed underground from one of Father’s attacks he does mention his abilities/stones are slowly getting drained by the battle. And finally by the time of the incident I mentioned earlier, where he offers his “final stone” to bring Al back, he does clearly say he has only one stone aka one life left in him before he becomes back the original normal human he was before all of this – aka one that should have been dead a long time ago. A bit like the homunculi, he has a set number of times where he can use the stone aka die but because he had so many in him, that’s what made him immortal.
So we are to believe either he was gravely wounded and his last stone could not protect him but that would be kind of against the canon, or more ambiguously that after saving his children and understanding the meaning of his life, he decided to let himself die in peace – a bit like Envy did but without the ripping the stone out part. It is indeed not clear how it is possible within the mythology of the anime/manga but at least we knew that he was not quite immortal anymore by the time it happens. And the fact he ages clearly means that he did indeed go back to his human form.

My main problem with the finale of the series – and admittedly it is a rather minor one – is this.
I get that most fans were more interested in the Ed/Winry stuff, the what happened to Al or Mustang and his men stuff. I too wanted to know and the finale was emotionally satisfying on that count.
But my personal favorite part of the show – especially during the final 30 episodes – has always been the plotting, military power struggle, coup/counter-coup storylines. And after spending so much time detailing the alliance, power shifts, play-by-play military maneuvers, I was surprised the show spent so little time in the last episode telling us what happened to the country after Father’s defeat.
More crucially, I wish they had explained to us how and why Grunman became the Fuhrer-President. Considering the last we had seen of him, he was seen planning to double-cross two fan favorites, Mustang and Armstrong, knowing he became Daisoto is not very emotionally satisfying. So, while it is not out of the blue because he was a clear possibility, it would have been nice to explain it to us.
Because it does not make sense that Mustang – and more crucially Armstrong - did not get the throne.
I understand that the show is hinting that Mustang – a new more mature Mustang – decided to first make amends by helping rebuild Ishbal as General for the East. But wasn’t that always the plan – to become Fuhrer-President so he could atone for his behavior in Ishbal? So why would he settle for simple General when he could accomplish the same and more as King?
But at least they took the time to at least hint at that. There is zero reason Armstrong did not try to become Daisoto herself. First of all, we know she wanted it badly – so badly she was ready to get herself super close to Bradley and Father at the risk of losing her principles so that she could be near power when they fell. We also know she does not give up – she fights, that’s what her character is about. And crucially, from a military point of view, she was in control by the time Father dies. Central and Central Command are in the hands of the Briggs soldiers loyal to her (notice not a blue uniform in the final battle scenes and presumably many of the remaining rank-and-file normal soldiers die when Father blows the building). Mustang is incapacitated and Grunman is still in the East. There is no reason she would not have seized power at that point.That was her goal all along!
So it would have been nice to have a scene – even a short scene – where Grunman pleads to a military council he should become Fuhrer-President because Mustang is now physically unable to do it (since he is still blind at that point) and Armstrong is disqualified, say for instance because she is unpopular (because of Breda’s backstabbing radio broadcast blaming her for the events of the coup) and as an old wise man he can stabilize the country etc.
It would have been intellectually satisfying for those of us who cared about that storyline and would have wrapped it up less lackadaisically than a throwaway sentence in a conversation

+Quote Post
FullMetal Tigres...
post Aug 4 2013, 02:44 AM
Post #134

Citizen

Member No.: 45,246

I wonder if Edward has lost his capacity of perform Alchemy without a circle ...So may He will be able to use Alchemy with a circle? mellow.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Aug 4 2013, 07:04 AM
Post #135

Group Icon

QUOTE (FullMetal Tigress @ Aug 4 2013, 05:44 AM) *
I wonder if Edward has lost his capacity of perform Alchemy without a circle ...So may He will be able to use Alchemy with a circle? mellow.gif

No, his "truth gate/door" is gone, so... sadly I think this is it for Alchemy for Ed. sad.gif

(this being in Spoiler zone, we probably do not need spoiler covers. It's just a habit, don't mind me. tongue.gif )

--------------------

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2016 - 06:18 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css