HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Thread for Royai Fans who had finished reading/watching FMA Manga/FMA:Brotherhood, Warning! Please do NOT click if you haven't seen series final
FailToImpress
post Jun 15 2010, 05:07 AM
Post #46

State Alchemist (Major)

Group: Members
Member No.: 62,174

QUOTE (RoyxRizaFan @ Jun 14 2010, 05:31 PM) *
Don't get me wrong- I agree with you guys 100% that they are doing what they should be. Standing beside one another, fixing what they have to before moving on. But I also can't help but agree with everyone who wishes there had been something more, at least one more scene with Roy. I'm not as drastic as to say, "this was a waste of character development" because I don't agree with that at all-I think that the steps they've taken since the Ishbalan War, and the way they've changed (and yet, remained the same in their beliefs and determination) as characters has been leading up to this one last step before their final goal since the very beginning.

I know what you mean, and I feel similarly.
To be honest I think we have been spoiled in the last few chapters up to 108, and maybe that's why there is very little in the end. It wouldn't have made sense from a storytelling point of view to show them side by side as civilians or whatever, because that's not the point of the story. Whatever Roy and Riza have together already, transcends the need to show them as a romantic couple.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
black~hayate
post Jun 15 2010, 05:07 AM
Post #47

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 67,859

QUOTE (KariGray @ Jun 15 2010, 12:55 PM) *
*screams, tears hair, rants, weeps, goes into a dark corner*

ARAKAWA DOES NOT GIVE A DAMN ABOUT US SUBTLE-OTP SHIPPERS.

SINCE SHE KNOWS NOTHING NEEDS TO BE SAID, SHE DOES NOT BOTHER GETTING UP HER LAZY arse TO SAY IT.

Shhh... I know how you feel. I know the pain that consumes you like Roy's flames~ the pain of Royai lack xD.
But come on. There must have been something. In FMA there's nothing without reason. It's not just for fun seeing Roy jealous of Barry. And the Elisabeth scene. And her crying over him. And tons of other moments we consider as Royai.
Maybe she did it on purpose. There is a whole Episode for future discussion ahead.
And maybe Arakawa would think that it would be great to see Royai fans dissapointed half dead, just to cheer them up with some awesome stuff in the end of the Anime.

--------------------
You have to leave me alot of cute messages! I love messages =3

Bark! Bark bark bark!

+Quote Post
dec4rhapsody
post Jun 15 2010, 09:44 AM
Post #48

Citizen

Member No.: 74,149

QUOTE (KariGray @ Jun 15 2010, 06:55 PM) *
I'd understand if Roy and Riza were side characters, but they've made so many appearances and had so many moments and were out and frying just mere pages ago, so I can't help but think they deserve more of an appearance and want to know why they didn't get it. A sequel, gaiden, side-story or even interview touching on it is unlikely and so I'm just torn between satisfaction at their end because it's pretty good and dissatisfaction because 'everything but royai' may well become a meme!!

I've been avoiding TvTropes like plague for fear that it will turn out as the second 2ch and now I am tempted to start a trope named that, ROFL.

Same here, the revolving door of satisfaction (lolwut) and despair.

I don't put too much hope on the anime, since I am always under the impression that Irie (the director) doesn't see their relationship as romantic.

*refers to a certain interview on Episode 19*

19話でホークアイが見せた感情の揺れは、恋愛というよりは、自分のすべてをぶつけらる存在への思いなのかと考えています
(I think that)the jolt of emotion Hawkeye displays in Episode 19, were more about the feelings towards someone who ???? than romantic love.

I feel ashamed that I don't understand the most important part of that passage (What is "自分のすべてをぶつけらる存在"? Someone who "hits" everything of you?)...so if someone can translate...thank you happy.gif

EDIT:
Some other interesting parts regarding future episodes

Episode 25
(on Hawkeye becoming hostage)
But if someone who has been always by your side is taken away from you, both of you will have more chance to think about each other. It is also possible that you can look at each other from other perspectives.

Caption
Both of them are "unskillful" at their feelings, they are possibly more of "late crops" than Ed and Winry.

+Quote Post
AseLei Yuan
post Jun 15 2010, 05:51 PM
Post #49

Citizen

Member No.: 74,087

Well if you ask me its been canon ever since that hug of theirs!!!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
spectator
post Jun 15 2010, 06:08 PM
Post #50

Alchemists

Member No.: 34,836

QUOTE (AseLei Yuan @ Jun 15 2010, 07:51 PM) *
Well if you ask me its been canon ever since that hug of theirs!!!!!!!!!!

that is so true!

But I want more dosage of Royai. Craving it for about 4-5 years now.

--------------------
'Prince of Dawn' Fanfiction - Envoy of Love: The True Prince

Eastern Headquarters' Attraction - Something fun to read.

CoS and FMA1 Fanfiction - Right person, wrong place, wrong time

+Quote Post
sidekick.kep37
post Jun 15 2010, 09:05 PM
Post #51

Alchemists

From: The lair where the Sidekicks hang on their down time
Member No.: 67,873

@ KariGray: Just about everything you said described how I just about felt for a couple of days after 108 came out. Even now, when I like to tell myself, to convince myself that "It's all good! At least they're together. Blah blah etc. *fake smile* " I just can't help but think in the back of my head (or right now, I suppose in the front of my head) that Royai has kind of been left hanging like a champion show-dog being abandoned by it's master. No, I don't think at all that the character(s relationship's) development has been all for nothing, but more like Arakawa did toss in all those scenes we hastily dub as Royai and just left it in a hole.

Yeah, maybe there is an ulterior motive to this. In fact, I am desperately hoping there is. As many of you are, any explanation would make me feel at ease unless it's like "Royai? What's that? Roy and Hawkeye?! Pff, that was never going to happen! Ahahaha, did you fans pull two names out of a hat again and decided they had to be canon? Roflcopter! :knee-slap: since we've all pretty much established how Arakawa works her interesting magic.

Sure, maybe it sounds like we're a bunch of hopeless romantics who've dedicated a good portion of their lives to two fictional characters and their relationship and completely seem to disregard the fact that yes, the manga is called FullMetal Alchemist, but come on Arakawa throw us a bone! It's wrong to want more, because I know as a Royai fan (a.k.a. a master at reading in between the lines tongue.gif) that with that "pancake photo" (as dubbed by KariGray) they're content with their lives as is by raising what they destroyed... but I want moar. Omake, gaiden, novel, radio play, whatever else has already been mentioned to explain or give something would satisfy me.

FMAB also looks like it'll have an ample amount of time thanks to their rush-job on 61. I'm hoping for BONES to pull a fast one on us, like a lot of you, but I'm not counting on it... still hoping though. Hey, it's almost 11:11 (technically 22:22) where I am. I know what I'm wishing for tonight =P o_o

Hmm... I'll probably edit this later after I've decided to come back down to earth.

+Quote Post
ilovepaperwork
post Jun 16 2010, 07:58 AM
Post #52

Citizen

Member No.: 74,501

QUOTE (RoyxRizaFan @ Jun 15 2010, 02:31 AM) *
..... Loving the ending, but wishing there was more- I think that, despite the rest of my post, this may just be another sign that I simply don't want to let go...T_T

I totally agree with the part you say that we all feel so cheated just because we can't let go. Personally, if Mustang and Hawkeye were portrayed in civilian outfits, I'd feel as if it was too good to be true, and that Arakawa has already fallen victim to fan pressure. For me, the ending still said something about their relationship, "that they are exactly where they ought to and want to be-beside each other". We're all such visual suckers that our eyes have to be satisfied, but since this is Arakawa we're talking about, I bet sensei didn't want to spoonfeed people on how their relationship will end. The EdWin ending was a must for the story, since as everyone else said, they still had "unfinished business" in the developing stage. Royai didn't need developing and everyone knew how they'd end up anyway (at least I think so). A cut in the neck and temporary blindness probably wouldn't have changed how they treated each other - a constant fear of losing each other, yes, but in the exterior, nothing would have changed.
Reason for edit: Included only the part of quote directly being refered to on this post. :)

+Quote Post
FailToImpress
post Jun 17 2010, 09:40 AM
Post #53

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 62,174

It's kind of funny... now that I've seen how the story ends for them, I can't imagine it any other way.

+Quote Post
angelofsarcasm89
post Jun 17 2010, 10:14 AM
Post #54

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,605

I'm still miffed. This was the finale, the last chapter, where all the loose ends are supposed to be tied up and finished. And any couple that didn't involve an Elric barely got touched on. Honestly, I always thought Almay was a lot weaker than Royai and Lingfan, like it was more of a one-sided crush that May had on Al than an actual couple.

And subtle nothing. Lan Fan cut her own arm off for Ling. Riza became a willing hostage to a flock of monsters for Roy. Time and time again, both couples have put their lives on the line for their partner. They've had to fight through so much more than Almay and Edwin together.

You know, I think that's my problem with it. My favorite couples have done nothing but fight and struggle and sacrifice for the entire story. And now at the end, when by all means they deserve a little bit of rest and a moment to breathe, we don't get anything. All we see is their "Oop! Back to work that may get us killed!" pictures.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Elisabeth Hawkey...
post Jun 17 2010, 12:14 PM
Post #55

Apprentice

Member No.: 62,114

Admin must displaced me here from Hawkeye X Roy: The Royai Thread cause I wrote fanfic and it have something, even only little with final chapter. So this is my first fanfic, called Tears of joy, it have some mistakes, but sorry I'm not English, so it's a little harder for me rolleyes.gif Hope you like it happy.gif

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6049269/1/Tears_Of_Joy

Well I didn't expect marriage or children too, just like Miss MP, but I didn't expect it even in case of EdWin. So when EdWin why a little more Royai too? To tell the truth for Royai fanatics probably never would be enough to see them even in civillian clothes and so, but maybe we'll see it in episode 64(I hope happy.gif ), but that nobody knows. And if I have to tell my opinion, it's like that ending isn't something great(for Royai), but that's right this never been about two of them, but about EdWin(so close) too. And if I look back to example on episodes when Roy call to Riza under her code name "Elizabeth", and have to imagine them to be together it wasn't so unimaginable. They were so... natural to each other and they seems really close to each other. So that's my opinion. And in my eyes, if we only see them together in civillian, on shoping like at the end of the first series it maybe be enought. wink.gif

--------------------

Avatar by Michiyo-,Sig is not by me

+Quote Post
MustangSally
post Jun 17 2010, 12:52 PM
Post #56

Citizen

Member No.: 73,730

I was actually more disappointed that we didn't get more general information on what Roy and Riza were doing than I was with the Royai.

To me they seem like the sort of people who are always going to put duty ahead of their personal wants, so I thought their final picture appearance was fitting and believable.

I didn't think they looked miserable in that picture. I thought Riza looked tense and on watch. I thought Roy looked focused and determined. Which makes sense given their positions. They seemed to be at some sort of military review or other public military function. Rebuilding Ishbal must be dangerous, there is probably all sorts of intrigue going on--as always--Riza is probably on the look out for anyone who might want to do harm, especially to Roy and Roy's going to be determined to do this thing, no matter what the hardships.

I sort of like the idea that they went right back to work, forging ahead, doing the hard stuff, not taking it easy. It makes me admire them and it makes them seem more heroic.

+Quote Post
Kaori Ayanami
post Jun 17 2010, 05:09 PM
Post #57

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,575

I've already posted here, but now I have truly come to a conclusion.

If that photo with the two of them in military uniforms was the only thing they got after a finale of just fighting it would call it lack of closure for sure. But they got more than fighting: in fact, there was so much shippy stuff in their part of the finale that I thought Arakawa got weak or something like that.

Sooo, when I think about it, it's clear that, story-wise, it was the best choice: to give confirmation (and the little closure they could have, since they've advanced together a looong way XD) before the final victory, and let the epilogue be more about the protagonist-the brothers-all the cast in general, in that order. Besides, she gave plenty of information about their relationship before that epilogue, so anything more in it wouldn't seem even. Arakawa is just too good a story-teller to do that (how I love to say it!)

Then again, I care way more about narrative balance than any ship. XD

You're right... Ling-Fan got it much worse. Maybe there's not so much people complaining because in their case a normal relationship is truly impossible.

+Quote Post
Whitewings
post Jun 17 2010, 09:46 PM
Post #58

Citizen

Member No.: 74,471

Umm... How did Ling-Fan get it worse? If you look at the picture SHE"S RIGHT NEXT TO HIM. smile.gif Yup, look closely she's right next to his throne.... that kinda represents that she's with him 24/7. Huh, I guess your imaginations can do the rest biggrin.gif

Besides that, Roy and Riza did advance. If you look at the photo, Arakawa clearly shows that Roy is a General now since is shoulder has 4 stars. In an indirect way of saying, he's getting to the top, and she's coming along with him all the way. wink.gif C'mon guys Arakawa has a special brand of subtlety, if you want a cookie cutter message go read a grade B fanfic.

+Quote Post
sidekick.kep37
post Jun 17 2010, 11:47 PM
Post #59

Alchemists

From: The lair where the Sidekicks hang on their down time
Member No.: 67,873

^ Sure, Ranfan (Lanfan? w/e) got her head in a pic by Ling's throne, but there was barely any interaction between the two in the final chapter other than the whole "Yeah, as emperor, I'm gonna go and protect everyone in Xing. Good idea Ranfan! XD" but any raw emotion between them? It was kind of empty.

But at least they had interaction, whereas Roy and Riza are both separated following the final battle. Though Riza did show concern for Roy, it was the most we got regarding the two with the exception of the final snapshot where our minds are left to wonder what that was all about.

Now that I think of it LingFan and Royai kinda had it even- maybe LingFan suffering a smidge more than Royai.

And as I promised from my earlier, more rant-like post, I'd say something after I've had a chance to calm down and take everything in. It's not as bad as I make it. Some of you guys are right; we should've seen this coming given Arakawa's style of subtlety regarding the characters' relationships toward one another. I want to say I'm content but I'm not going to lie. Deep down I'm not content. Again, I know I'm just being another greedy fan who doesn't know how to let go, but hey, it's what we've got and I'll learn to live with it.

+Quote Post
Whitewings
post Jun 18 2010, 01:07 AM
Post #60

Citizen

Member No.: 74,471

Everything that happens between Riza and Roy always had a purpose in the story and involves/shows character development. Simply put, Arakawa finished it the way it ought to have finished. She's the kind of author that does character not fanservice. <- And that is why she's awesomely awesome in my books biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th June 2016 - 10:55 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css