HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Thread for Royai Fans who had finished reading/watching FMA Manga/FMA:Brotherhood, Warning! Please do NOT click if you haven't seen series final
black~hayate
post Jun 13 2010, 07:42 AM
Post #31

State Alchemist (Major)

Group: Members
Member No.: 67,859

QUOTE (spectator @ Jun 13 2010, 04:16 PM) *
Guys, I finally understand Arakawa sensei's motive to lack of royai closure.

Unfortunately, Roy and Riza will not consider marriage or starting a family. It's very unlikely, at least not until the world gains peace (Come on! The world will never be at peace).

You see, the living hell in Ishaval changes them. They do not live for themselves anymore, but for the humanity. You can say that they have 'died' in Ishaval once and for the second time in overthrowing Bradley, like Scar. I think working together is the only acknowledgement of their relationship. Sad...

I disagree. That doesn't mean that you're wrong, I just don't share the same opinion.
There were many people who were affected by the war. But if everyone would think the way you described it, then there would be some millions less people on this earth.
Even people who get back from Afghanistan or like in the past, who were in the 2WW, couldn't forget, but they could forgive themselves (and other people) and settled down, started a family to show their children that this world and the humanity is a treasure what they should protect.
And besides, since the kids are no killers (but their parents), it makes them a good oppurnity to become heroes, knowing that war is bad and protecting people.
It actually is a way to make it up, if Roy and Riza would have had children, then they could start anew not with themselves, but with their children.

Still I think it would have been strange to see some RoyRiza offspring in the manga. Sure, it's possible, but I would have been pretty shocked biggrin.gif. Positively. Royai deadly overdose. Fans know what I'm talking about biggrin.gif.
There must be more to it (The Royai Lack). I think and I already said it, it's because we had a lot fanservice in chapter 107.

EDIT: Wasn't it chapter 107 where Riza put her hand on Roy's chest? Well, if that isn't fanservice... I squealed like crazy biggrin.gif

--------------------
You have to leave me alot of cute messages! I love messages =3

Bark! Bark bark bark!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RizaXRoy
post Jun 13 2010, 07:44 AM
Post #32

Apprentice

Member No.: 34,163

Yeah.I have same thoughts too, angelofsarcasm89. I love the ending and it is perfect for every character except Roy and Riza due to lack of interaction. I do not expect to have a HUGE Royai scene but just hope that there would be some interaction of Royai in one page at least or maybe even two panels only..it's enough for me too..like you said the example that they are in civillian clothes. I understood that we can have our own fantasy over the Royai ending but it would be more meaningful if Arakawa sensei portrays it. This would gain reassurance as well. happy.gif

I think anime1!RoyaiEnding is much better..XD. at least did show their little interaction.

I can imagine how happy are the Edwin fans. I hope I am one of them XD

@FailToImpress:You're right too!! happy.gif

@black~hayate: I can see that chap 107 is one of the reasons XD

--------------------

Sig by Nil-Chan,thanks to awesome Nil-Chan..!
Roy and Riza-the best pairing..Hope there will be more and more roiai moments in the manga.

My Royai AMV.Hope you enjoy it!

+Quote Post
spectator
post Jun 13 2010, 07:54 AM
Post #33

Alchemists

Member No.: 34,836

@black~hayate: You have a point. Grr! Screw all those reasons. I just want them to have a family. Even black hayate knows how to enjoy life, for crying out loud. laugh.gif

--------------------
'Prince of Dawn' Fanfiction - Envoy of Love: The True Prince

Eastern Headquarters' Attraction - Something fun to read.

CoS and FMA1 Fanfiction - Right person, wrong place, wrong time

+Quote Post
dec4rhapsody
post Jun 13 2010, 08:07 AM
Post #34

Citizen

Member No.: 74,149

My first post here and I'd like to put my 2 cents in it.
I pretty much agree about most of what is being said here, of Roy and Hawkeye being "on the same page" since the beginning of the manga.
It's hard to explain, but I've got the feeling that the so-called "Royai moments" were more about revealing the true nature of their relationship rather than progressing it, unlike those of EdWin and to some extent, AlMei.

I can't say that I was not disappointed for the lack of closure or interaction between them. In fact the "anything-but-Royai"-vibe of the ending still seems ironic to me. Even if it is made clear that the two of them are unlikely to establish a romantic relationship right now (not that they would actually need one and this is tricky), I'd prefer to have some acknowledgements/confirmation on it, instead of Roy merely telling Armstrong to give orders to his subordinates. I wanted to see something of them, about them, between them, since their relationship, whatever it is, has been built up as the most important one to both of them, and it feels awkward to leave it untouched in the grand finale.

This being said, if Arakawa-sensei deliberately left their relationship open for the ending, I'd just cross my fingers for her not delivering the fatal blow in any post-series materials, what so many writers enjoy to do.

PS: I must confess that I am too corrupted by fanfics and doujinshi after four years in the fandom and I have been a cursed shipper ever since my first OTP. Pairing spell anyone? Not even Royai can break it. ROFL.

+Quote Post
crazyanimefan
post Jun 13 2010, 08:51 AM
Post #35

Apprentice

Member No.: 64,696

After rereading it (again), I think the ending gives a refreshing open-endedness instead of a finality on the series in general, including Royai. It's like Arakawa knows that we'll be sad but reminds us that their lives, as well as ours, will continue on. Besides, it leaves much to fans who will be spewing out Royai weddings and babies anyways, including myself. XD

--------------------

+Quote Post
FailToImpress
post Jun 13 2010, 10:09 AM
Post #36

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 62,174

QUOTE (crazyanimefan @ Jun 13 2010, 04:51 PM) *
After rereading it (again), I think the ending gives a refreshing open-endedness instead of a finality on the series in general, including Royai. It's like Arakawa knows that we'll be sad but reminds us that their lives, as well as ours, will continue on. Besides, it leaves much to fans who will be spewing out Royai weddings and babies anyways, including myself. XD

I think you're right about that.
If the ending showed Roy and Riza all settled together, that's a very 'final' thing, and I imagine many of us would be thinking so, er, what now?

+Quote Post
black~hayate
post Jun 13 2010, 10:14 AM
Post #37

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 67,859

And besides... why do you guys believe it's a bra that Riza's wearing? It reminds me of a short tank top.
Okay, it could be also a sports bra... it's just strange seeing it. I mean, they don't show Winry's bra either biggrin.gif They show her while changing, but nothing like that.

--------------------
You have to leave me alot of cute messages! I love messages =3

Bark! Bark bark bark!

+Quote Post
FailToImpress
post Jun 13 2010, 11:33 AM
Post #38

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 62,174

^It does look like a sports bra, or at least a short tank top with added support. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
RoyxRizaFan
post Jun 13 2010, 02:36 PM
Post #39

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 54,333

I'm mystified by the ending of RoyAi. I'm caught between the "their lives are just beginning" part, and the "they missed the train too early on to have a normal life" ideas.

Let's start with the first - Roy and Riza had no interaction in the final chapter (let alone any real scenes apart, considering Roy is one of the main characters), but what we've seen before this chapter should be enough to ensure that they're canon. I mean, I have no doubt that they love each other, honestly. They've stuck together all of their lives. They both broke down when they thought they'd lose the other. The way they reacted during the phone conversation. The hug scene, etc.

The thing that's nagging at me is that, in the final scene, they're in uniform with the most solemn, dejected of looks on their face. I know they're doing serious work, but the Rockbells smiled while they worked in Ishbal. Why can't they? I think so much as a smile would have changed how we all looked at this.

Because, their solemn looks and the fact that pretty much everyone mistook it for an old picture until they realized the others were new, and that everyone else's pictures seemed to take place after a long time period (shown by Edwin babies) made it seem as if they had missed a train earlier in life - as if becoming part of the Ishbalan war meant never truly being together, or being happy. That's how a lot of people have interpreted it, which is sad, and not true - Hughes was in the same war, and even Knox was, and they both overcame what they had gone through. And I'm pretty damn sure Roy and Riza have, in so many ways by making the most of their lives. So, why the solemn expressions?

Despite this, I have no doubt they love each other. I never have - I mean, now and then, when they hadn't been together in months, I'd begin to doubt myself, but then I'd remind myself of all the things they've been through, and I'd realize I didn't have too much to worry about. Especially after chapter 94-107, I was positive they were canon. And I still am. A little extra push from Arakawa couldn't have hurt, though.

...And that's my 520 cenz.

--------------------

Avatar by Michiyo and signature by me.
Fan Fiction, Fan Art
FMAobsessed Wrote:
Bradley: "Oh by the way I made Breda my personal assistant."
Roy: "WHAT NO! I AM IN IMMENSE SHOCK!"

+Quote Post
Kaori Ayanami
post Jun 13 2010, 07:50 PM
Post #40

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,575

I thought Royai fans were the masters of reading between lines, getting subtle hints and all that stuff...
Guess I was wrong.

(By the way, one or two pages before I posted a plausible Royai theory).

+Quote Post
crazyanimefan
post Jun 13 2010, 08:06 PM
Post #41

Apprentice

Member No.: 64,696

@RoyxRizaFan: I actually viewed the photo as neither sad nor from the past. Odd. I simply thought that Riza cut her hair again, maybe as a symbol of new beginning or just for the heck of it, and that they were working on rebuilding Ishbal. Nothing about it seemed sad to me, just professional.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Whitewings
post Jun 13 2010, 10:38 PM
Post #42

Citizen

Member No.: 74,471

Hehe, finally feel compelled to post.
Simply in my opinion the ending was absolutely perfect. If Arakawa had done anything more I would have been utterly disappointed. The ending placed the two of them utterly in the environment that they were meant to be in. Throughout the manga you understand their relationship more and more. They're not the type of characters to even have to say "I like you". They just know it, that's how close they are with one another.
I think the picture at the end simply emphasizes their meaning to each other, they're gonna be together side by side. I've always been Royai, and the ending is more or less what would have been best for them.
Keynote: That last photo is showing them working, as mentioned before if you read between the lines *hint hint wink wink nudge nudge* they do have civilian lives. But the manga was never about their civilian lives, it would not make any sense to show it! So take from it what you will, but this is one of those moments where are reader can infer more from what was not shown, than what was shown.

+Quote Post
RoyxRizaFan
post Jun 14 2010, 09:31 AM
Post #43

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 54,333

And once again, I am left swinging back and forth on the fence, unsure of where I should stand! There are two very different opinions on the chapter - that it was a perfect ending for them, or that it wasn't enough - and the confusing part - the reason I can't pick one or another - is because neither of them is wrong!

Don't get me wrong- I agree with you guys 100% that they are doing what they should be. Standing beside one another, fixing what they have to before moving on. But I also can't help but agree with everyone who wishes there had been something more, at least one more scene with Roy. I'm not as drastic as to say, "this was a waste of character development" because I don't agree with that at all-I think that the steps they've taken since the Ishbalan War, and the way they've changed (and yet, remained the same in their beliefs and determination) as characters has been leading up to this one last step before their final goal since the very beginning.

But I am still a selfish reader who has been spoiled over the past few chapters and, although I am quite skilled at reading between the lines, the talent I've developed do to so while following this pairing hasn't been worked in about a year. I guess I'll have to go dig up those critical reading glasses we were all wearing before chapter 95 in order to 100% agree that this was the perfect end for them.

Loving the ending, but wishing there was more- I think that, despite the rest of my post, this may just be another sign that I simply don't want to let go...T_T I always will want more of Fullmetal Alchemist, and of Roy and Riza, regardless of how excellent what we've already been given is.

--------------------

Avatar by Michiyo and signature by me.
Fan Fiction, Fan Art
FMAobsessed Wrote:
Bradley: "Oh by the way I made Breda my personal assistant."
Roy: "WHAT NO! I AM IN IMMENSE SHOCK!"

+Quote Post
Miss MP
post Jun 14 2010, 08:24 PM
Post #44

Citizen

Member No.: 69,722

I did not expect marriage nor children . . . but I did not expect them to keep moving forward in such a grim manner. In my personal opinion, they went through hell and deserved a little more solace than what was presented. They will never leave one another alone and in my view, they were not the same dynamic as EdWin and thus, were not given the same closure. It's canon enough for me - I just wish it gave them something a little more than drudgery and grim faces.

--------------------
Fanfiction |FictionPress

+Quote Post
KariGray
post Jun 15 2010, 03:55 AM
Post #45

Citizen

Member No.: 70,954

I feel like I'm stuck in a revolving door with 'Happiness' and 'Despair' on either side.

Honestly, if I just look at the characters, the I'm pretty satisfied with the ending, since y'know, they're together, they're alive, they're a side-couple that's built on subtlety so this makes sense and all that jazz.

But then...I think of Arakawa. Oh, Arakawa.

When I think of her, the lack of royai in the ending just nags at me because the writer/drawer of Fullmetal Alchemist is a human with opinions and intents and desires and reasons for her actions and I cannot...oh for the love of God I always forget words when I'm in a huff...I can't...what's the word..augh, it's gone. Point is, I can't link or justify or whatever that word I forgot is, the way she treated royai in 107 and the way she treated royai in 108. It just does not make sense to me for her to have the whole battle couple thing one minute and then 3 panels of Hawkeye supporting Roy in practically the same position (she could've at least had his arm around her shoulder) and just a 'Taisa wa...me ga...' on Hawkeye's side, and Roy telling Armstrong to tell his subordinates to follow him. I feel better with the photo since, in a way, it's Arakawa's admitance that the two are always joined at the hip, which I like, as at least she's admitting something with that.
BUT ANYWAY, if 108 were the epilogue instead of the finale, then, sure I'd be satisfied. And while I realise that royai didn't really have anything to clear up, or any loose ends to tie, since it's rather obvious on how they feel about each other, and while I realise that everyone else needs to have their stories told and while I realise that it's very hard fro Arakawa to have drawn/written 113 pages in two months, let alone any extras...while I realise this, I'm still feeling cheated because it's THE LAST CHAPTER. Last time we see our characters and all we get for mutual royai is a flippin pancake photo? dry.gif

I'd understand if Roy and Riza were side characters, but they've made so many appearances and had so many moments and were out and frying just mere pages ago, so I can't help but think they deserve more of an appearance and want to know why they didn't get it. A sequel, gaiden, side-story or even interview touching on it is unlikely and so I'm just torn between satisfaction at their end because it's pretty good and dissatisfaction because 'everything but royai' may well become a meme!!

@_@ I just want to know WHY, Arakawa, WHY, even if you just say you were too lazy to confirm it I'd be happy. Because Goddamn 108 is the end of all actual canon royai and I cannot accept my last dose of canon royai being a picture!!!!!!!!!!

*screams, tears hair, rants, weeps, goes into a dark corner*

mellow.gif

...But actually, *comes out of dark corner where the mushrooms slowly turn to daisy's and light shines

... huh.gif Come to think of it, now that I've said all that, I feel better. Also, when you look at it, maybe it's just a matter of attachment. For example, Ling and Ran Fan had lots of screen time too and though they were seen at the last manga chapter it was more 'clearing up loose ends' than any actually in-series confirmation like we got with RoyAi (see: "I have no intention fo living a comfortable life alone" and "I can't lose you"). I mean, we also see them together in a photo at the end, and I thought "Well, duh, of course Ling and Ran Fan will end up together, but what about royai?!" upon seeing that. However, when looking at it from a LingFan shipper's perspective, it's just as unsatisfying as RoyAi, as nothing is explicitly stated or confirmed- and if said LingFan looked at RoyAi they would be "Well, duh, of course Mustang and Hawkeye will end up together but what about lingfan!?!".

I realised this when I saw this sentence at Tv Tropes:

•Official Couple: As of Chapter 108, we've got four that count. Ed/Winry is confirmed, Al/Mei is pretty much confirmed, and Roy/Riza and Ling/Lan Fan are, as ever, very, very strongly-implied.

And while reading that, though slightly comforted, I was thinking 'maybe LingFan is strongly implied in the last chap but what about RoyAi...grr...', but then, when I looked at it from a LingFan perspective, saw the opposite was true for lingfan too and I realised....

ARAKAWA DOES NOT GIVE A DAMN ABOUT US SUBTLE-OTP SHIPPERS.

SINCE SHE KNOWS NOTHING NEEDS TO BE SAID, SHE DOES NOT BOTHER GETTING UP HER LAZY arse TO SAY IT.

In a way, that's how Arakawa has, infuriatingly, always done things. While I admit she's ship-teased us mercilessly with both LingFan and RoyAi, and hinted at AlMei, EdWin has always been her main concentration and OTP. (What else do you expect from someone influenced by Rumiko Takahashi?) So in a way, it's like she's saying "To hell with confirming those two, everyone knows there's something going on anyway, I WANT TO DRAW MY EDWIN PROPOSAL."

....And, now, I feel strangely at peace. Disgruntled with the manganka but at peace, because at least in the photo of Mustang and Hawkeye and even Ling and Ran Fan, she's sorta nonverbally admitting there's something going on there and they'll stay together permanently.

(Of course, a few days later I will likely stew in frustration again and come to this realization after ranting again -this is my third time going over this pattern and reassuring myself- since I am a very suspicious person and don't trust people as far as I can throw Mt Everest. However, these are the facts and my theory is sound and I believe it to be true. I feel better now.)

--------------------
RoyAi.
'Nuff said.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th August 2016 - 05:11 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css