HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 57: Eternal Rest - Content Discussion Thread, Warning, possible spoilers for the first 57 episodes
Bag of Magic Foo...
post May 17 2010, 03:49 PM
Post #31

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 71,555

QUOTE (His Name is Unknown @ May 17 2010, 02:01 AM) *
My initial impression is beginning to mend a bit - it was just such a shock to skip from like episode 1,4, and 5 to 57 and have there be such drastic quality drops in shading, line art, and fluidity. Having seen a few clips from other chapters though, the quality definitely improves, so my shock has lessened.

There are so many animation teams working on this series, you could say the quality fluctuates in an approximately 10-episode cycle, if that post about the "7s" was anything to go by.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SnakeByte117
post May 17 2010, 03:56 PM
Post #32

Citizen

Member No.: 72,849

Hello, delurking to add another thing that bugs me about this episode. No, it's not the animation or how they handled the Fuu/Bucaneer thing, but rather something that the series has been doing quite a bit. What's bothering me is Roy actually fighting without alchemy, something he never does in the manga. Manga-Roy, to me at least, always came off as not very strong physically. That makes sense because he has that flame alchemy to do all his fighting for him so no need to learn how to fight otherwise(Ironic, as when he went blind I thought he was going to be completely useless as he couldn't fight without his alchemy. Gogo Roy/Riza teamwork! XD). Anyway, he seems to rely completely on his flames to fight, and can't even dodge stuff sometimes. For example, on the last panel of this page,
http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/45/30/
Al even seems to be hauling him out of the way of Scar's attack. However, in, I think, two episodes so far he has been seen fighting without alchemy. Just kind of bugs me a bit.

TL;DR: Roy fighting without alchemy didn't happen in the manga and it kinda bugs me. Sorry if that was pointless/too long.

/ramble

Anyway, all in all, that episode was KIND of dissappointing. For Fuu/Bucaneer thing, I didn't really think it was THAT bad... not as cool as I'd like, but Ling and Lanfan's voice actors did not dissappoint IMO. Lanfan's sceam of OJIISAN!! at the end sent shivers down my spine. Still, I wish they had done something to make it stand out, which they didn't. Maybe they will make Greedling pulling a Terminator in the next episode make up for it.

+Quote Post
deet-tastic
post May 17 2010, 07:38 PM
Post #33

Alchemists

Member No.: 72,768

I've just realized why the fight seemed *off*
It was really rushed. I know that going into animation it would seem fast, but that's not what I'm talking about.
take episode 45's mansion fight for example. That is a VERY fast fight. But it didn't feel rushed at all.
This one did.

--------------------

Mai videos. Let me show you dem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTd1TbpGO4w

I WANT TO RIDE AN ENVYOSAURUS!

+Quote Post
Irena
post May 17 2010, 09:54 PM
Post #34

Apprentice

Member No.: 69,592

QUOTE (SnakeByte117 @ May 17 2010, 03:56 PM) *
Hello, delurking to add another thing that bugs me about this episode. No, it's not the animation or how they handled the Fuu/Bucaneer thing, but rather something that the series has been doing quite a bit. What's bothering me is Roy actually fighting without alchemy, something he never does in the manga. Manga-Roy, to me at least, always came off as not very strong physically. That makes sense because he has that flame alchemy to do all his fighting for him so no need to learn how to fight otherwise(Ironic, as when he went blind I thought he was going to be completely useless as he couldn't fight without his alchemy. Gogo Roy/Riza teamwork! XD). Anyway, he seems to rely completely on his flames to fight, and can't even dodge stuff sometimes. For example, on the last panel of this page,
http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/45/30/
Al even seems to be hauling him out of the way of Scar's attack. However, in, I think, two episodes so far he has been seen fighting without alchemy. Just kind of bugs me a bit.

I liked seeing Roy fight without alchemy because it seemed to make more sense. He's a soldier; he shouldn't be exempt from learning basic self-defense skills just because he happens to be an alchemist. Yeah, Brotherhood has made some changes, but I think this is a good one.

As to why he isn't using alchemy in this episode . . . I really don't know. e___e Maybe the soldiers were moving too fast, or he didn't want to accidentally hit someone? In the manga, the fight didn't seem to last long enough for him to get in a good hit.

+Quote Post
Kaori Ayanami
post May 18 2010, 01:58 AM
Post #35

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,575

Roy doesn't use flame alchemy because the Fuhrer candidates were too fast. Remember Bradley. XD
QUOTE (SnakeByte117 @ May 17 2010, 03:56 PM) *
What's bothering me is Roy actually fighting without alchemy, something he never does in the manga. Manga-Roy, to me at least, always came off as not very strong physically. That makes sense because he has that flame alchemy to do all his fighting for him so no need to learn how to fight otherwise

That last bit makes Armstrong cry. XD
What kind of logic is that? He can be strong AND a good alchemist. As I said, Armstrong is... So is Izumi.

Once that I said that...
True, Roy doesn't seem to be strong in the manga. But he did fight without alchemy. Shortly after the stuff in this episode happened in the manga, he snatched a Fuhrer's candidate sword and thrusted him with it, though it was not exactly a vigorous move but a flexy XD, clever one. Give Roy a break.

QUOTE (Irena @ May 17 2010, 10:54 PM) *
He's a soldier; he shouldn't be exempt from learning basic self-defense skills just because he happens to be an alchemist.

Well, as for effective self-defense, target practice is the thing to learn, at least in Amestris military. Hand-to-hand fighting and such may be good physical workout, but it doesn't guarantee physical defense at all. Fuery, anyone? Even at war he was still the comm boy, and when invading Central (or on a mission, before) he relied on his firearm all the time. He never did (nor I think he could) defend himself hand-to-hand or something like that.

+Quote Post
Tezrath
post May 18 2010, 05:24 PM
Post #36

Citizen

Member No.: 68,129

I don't think I've ever heard of a military that doesn't force its new recruits through "basic training" (which includes hand to hand fighting) even if the branch they end up in later doesn't require them to use it. Not saying they are all any good at it, but they do have to pass a basic standard in PT

And Roy does try his signature 'snap' at least once early in that fight, but the fuerer candidate comes in too fast and blocks his arm--knocking it aside.

I like the fight with the bradley goons, but they made it last too long in the anime... still liked it, but they were all restrained a whole lot faster in the manga. I mean come on! --as if Ed or Roy would stand a chance fighting against Bradley for even 5 seconds without using alchemy!

Honestly I didn't even notice the 'quality control issues' while I was watching it. I only saw how laughable some of it was when I found the screen-shots. And really, for scenes that go by in a couple seconds its not that atrocious. We aren't supposed to be watching anime through stills after all! wink.gif

+Quote Post
zonkiethegreat
post May 18 2010, 07:02 PM
Post #37

Alchemists

Member No.: 55,197

The episode was good, but WOW....the animation and quality was HORRIBLE. When I saw Roy, my JAW DROPPED. WTF DID THEY DO TO HIM????
What happened to the amazing animation from his battle with Envy???

I mean seriously, why are they cutting back on the budget NOW???? We are only like 6 episodes away from the END!!!

--------------------

Visit the Roy X Winry fansite : http://royxwinry.weebly.com

+Quote Post
Vlyse
post May 18 2010, 07:17 PM
Post #38

Alchemists

Member No.: 69,791

QUOTE (zonkiethegreat @ May 18 2010, 09:02 PM) *
I mean seriously, why are they cutting back on the budget NOW

I'm hoping this means incredible animation for the remaining episodes. They deserve it more, imo. happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hagaren_4ever
post May 19 2010, 04:46 AM
Post #39

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 50,311

^That's what I was hoping as well. Usually when things are this noticably bad, it means the pendulum is gonna come back soon enough, and we'll get real high quality animation. Which is to be expected for the final episodes.

--------------------

Sig set by me. The original art is by BlueMoon.Crystal

"I am still determined to be cheerful and happy, in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends upon our dispositions, and not upon our circumstances."
-Martha Washington

My Deviantart. :D Check it out, yo.

+Quote Post
Flamez_Freak
post May 19 2010, 05:17 AM
Post #40

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 66,548

This week animation and artwork is actually a blessing in disguise . . . It bodes well for the next 6 episodes . . . And what i read on the future episodes discussion makes me feel bones has everythin under control . .

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gregory House
post May 19 2010, 09:04 PM
Post #41

Citizen

Member No.: 71,085

Really that this episode give me what I expected, even if some animated sequences were pretty "strange", in general terms it wasn't bad at all. By the way, 4 days ago I did an AMV about the fight between Bradley, Ling-Greed & Fu, here you have, and of course it has a lot of SPOILERS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTdLsNJOC-Y

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post May 20 2010, 06:50 PM
Post #42

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,921

It was a decent enough episode, but some of the art was a little wonky here and there, even when there wasn't any action going on, and I never liked those Fuhrer candidates. They're just another unnecessary obstacle, last minute mooks like the homunculi dolls.

My review is up on my blog.

--------------------

Fullmetal Alchemist is over! Thank you, Hiromu Arakawa! ;_;

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post May 21 2010, 12:32 PM
Post #43

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

I have moved some comments on budget and art quality over to Art & Animation Style. Please feel free to continue there. I have moved them there as although prompted by this episode, the discussion is relevant across the series.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Flamez_Freak
post May 21 2010, 01:36 PM
Post #44

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 66,548

This is one of the view episodes that got censored on animax asia . . . . The blood spray from fuu's tummy and forehead were censored , and so was bradley gettin stabbed . . . .

--------------------

+Quote Post
FMAobsessed
post May 21 2010, 10:25 PM
Post #45

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 52,558

It may have been the website I was watching the episode on, but did anyone else notice that Fuu charging Wrath, and revealing that he had a bomb, before Bucaneer stabbed him was cut?

I thought the epsode was quite good. I thought that Ling and Ranfan's voice actors did a great job during the battle with Wrath.

The final scene with Ed, Al, and Izmi being taking was chilling. Especially when Ed was reaching his arm out to practically strangle Glod Tooth.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2016 - 03:18 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css