HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

25 Pages V  « < 20 21 22 23 24 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Chapter 107 "Regular" Discussion Thread For First Time Readers (and Others), No future chapter spoilers here, please. :)
Rating 5 V
f1madman
post May 12 2010, 05:34 AM
Post #316

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 70,052

laugh.gif That. Was. Epic.

Loved every bit of it.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kyelinn
post May 12 2010, 05:53 AM
Post #317

Apprentice

Member No.: 67,611

QUOTE (JELEE @ May 12 2010, 02:33 AM) *
QUOTE (Kaori Ayanami @ May 12 2010, 01:37 PM) *
QUOTE (Hagaren_4ever @ May 11 2010, 09:31 PM) *
it's like he didn't smile in relief, jump for joy... anything! He just went on talking to Truth. Maybe we'll get more of a reaction next week, but I don't know.

Give him a break, his body is malnourished and stuff. tongue.gif

Technically he doesnt really have his body back... he's the same as being dead right now, correct? Why jump for joy when you had to sacrifice yourself to give your brother his arm so he, along with the rest of the world isnt killed by Father? I wouldnt be happy. I'd be worried about my brother and whether he'd get me out of there in the end. There's a chance he'll be stuck there forever. Just saying.

No, he isn't the same as being dead because his body was only taken. He wasn't killed. Ed explained this way earlier in the manga. Al's soul only just returned the body that was taken. He's not dead nor is even remotely the same as being dead. Trisha is dead. Al is not. He's still in front of the gate hanging out with Truth. I doubt he'll be stuck there forever, considering he's not disappeared from the front of the gate. If Al were dead, his body wouldn't have been trying to call back his soul all those times throughout the manga.

--------------------

Siggy set made by me! ^_^

+Quote Post
_Jelly
post May 12 2010, 06:38 AM
Post #318

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 31,991

QUOTE (Kyelinn @ May 12 2010, 10:53 PM) *
No, he isn't the same as being dead because his body was only taken. He wasn't killed. Ed explained this way earlier in the manga. Al's soul only just returned the body that was taken. He's not dead nor is even remotely the same as being dead. Trisha is dead. Al is not. He's still in front of the gate hanging out with Truth. I doubt he'll be stuck there forever, considering he's not disappeared from the front of the gate. If Al were dead, his body wouldn't have been trying to call back his soul all those times throughout the manga.

What I meant by this was that he's not in the physical world anymore, where Ed and co. are. He can still go back to them but he's almost as useful as a dead guy. Where he is now, he can't help anyone anymore than he had by giving up his soul, and that must bring feelings of anything but joy. That's what I meant. Yeah I know he's not actually literally dead tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
HisshouBuraiKen
post May 12 2010, 06:50 AM
Post #319

Apprentice

Member No.: 40,851

I have a strange sinking and yet hopeful feeling that it will be Hohenheim who brings Al back and restores Ed's leg. He'll say something about he's never done anything for them as a father (but that swing!) and sacrifice himself. That's the sinking part.

The hopeful part is that a few remaining souls inside him will pay Truth's toll instead to thank Hohenheim for avenging them and being their friend.

My main man Alphonse is definitely not dead. The body has been established as a physical entity in FMA, and it exists in whatever dimension/subspace/reality the gates do. It may not be corporeal in its CURRENT world, but when it's brought back to the real world it will be solid matter.

And hungry. Very, very hungry. But May will love him anyway biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Qashqai
post May 12 2010, 06:56 AM
Post #320

Citizen

Member No.: 72,134

QUOTE (Kyelinn @ May 12 2010, 02:53 PM) *
He's still in front of the gate hanging out with Truth.

...I just had to draw it, I just had to. +_+ LOL
You know Al's doing it while Ed's fighting. You just know it tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kyelinn
post May 12 2010, 07:53 AM
Post #321

Apprentice

QUOTE (HisshouBuraiKen @ May 12 2010, 08:50 AM) *
I have a strange sinking and yet hopeful feeling that it will be Hohenheim who brings Al back and restores Ed's leg. He'll say something about he's never done anything for them as a father (but that swing!) and sacrifice himself. That's the sinking part.

The hopeful part is that a few remaining souls inside him will pay Truth's toll instead to thank Hohenheim for avenging them and being their friend.

My main man Alphonse is definitely not dead. The body has been established as a physical entity in FMA, and it exists in whatever dimension/subspace/reality the gates do. It may not be corporeal in its CURRENT world, but when it's brought back to the real world it will be solid matter.

And hungry. Very, very hungry. But May will love him anyway biggrin.gif

You know, I was talking to my husband about that and he feels the same way you do and so do I. I really have a feeling that it'll be Hohenheim who brings Al back and gets Ed his leg back as well. It's really heart-wrenching to think we're gonna lose Hoho, but at the same time it's what he wants and not only that, but he'll be with Trisha again.

I know this sounds silly, but I'm really hoping to see some emotional reaction from Ed. I like angst. :B And I've not seen him cry once in this manga. After everything that poor boy has been through, both him AND Al, I think they both seriously need a good cry.

And @Qashqai That drawing is EPIC! LMAO!! I seriously ROFL'd. xDDD You did well and is that Truth-kun's mommy offering Al some tea and cakes? laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Animeoldtimer
post May 12 2010, 07:59 AM
Post #322

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 8,503

That's funny @Qashqai I envisioned something like that as well.

@RoyxRizaFan "…And Greeling’s heart grew three sizes that day…"

Love the Grinch reference very appropriate!

As for Al's sacrifice, I don't think Ed realizes how damaged Al is. He has a crack right near his blood seal he would have died anyway. I think this has been said, but it's just something I thought I'd mention.

I like this page:
http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/107/44/

Each panel shows two or more of the "good guys" working together, yet the last panel shows Father all alone.

I'd like to see Ed drop Father in front of Truth for Al. "Here you can have this one, now bring me back my brother." But I do think Hohenheim will sacrifice himself.

--------------------
"Funny how you can say something in your head and it sounds fine... "--The Doctor

+Quote Post
Edamame
post May 12 2010, 10:39 AM
Post #323

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 38,530

Wow, I truly do not know where to start. I have sorely neglected posting in this forum due to graduate school and work stealing my soul, but I am finally all caught up. I have to admit that I am rather sad to see my favourite manga series finally come to a close, but I must say that Arakawa-sensei has kept me fully engaged in the story with her amazing plot twists and characters that I have "grown to love."

This latest chapter was certainly a tour de force, and I really cannot not say how the series shall end. I made a prediction in the FMA Manga Ending Thread way back in 2007, where I stated that I had an odd feeling it would be Hoenheim will end up making the ultimate sacrifice for one or both of his sons- I am standing firmly by this assumption. Whether Hoenheim will be the one return Al to his original body or the one to give Edward his flesh and blood leg back is really beyond my reckoning at this point. This is such a bizarre and probably stupid thought of mine, but I really wonder if Hoenheim will be confronted with the very difficult choice of which of his children he will sacrifice himself for. It makes me wonder if his sacrifice would only be "good" for getting Al's body back or for getting Ed's leg back. One of the manga's major themes is about the sacrifices and difficult choices we make for those we love and care deeply for. I believe that Hoenheim sacrificing himself for one or both of his children would be the ultimate act of love, as Alphonse has already proved in this chapter. While to may not completely overwrite the fact that he left his family and indirectly helped to obliterate Xerxes, I believe that it would be a final act of redemption. I also believe that it would allow for Ed to finally realise just how much both he and Alphonse mean to Hoenheim. Hoenheim has protected both of his sons from Father's little onslaught in the previous chapter, and Ed really does seem to care for his father (even if he does not admit it) from his obvious concern for his father on page twenty of this chapter (going by Mangastream's page numbering).

I am also really curious to see how Ed's one-on-one fight against Father will pan out in the final chapter. In my opinion, what makes Fullmetal Alchemist such an intriguing and deep story is that the main protagonist (Ed) hasn't truly faltered from uphoalding his morals. Ed has not killed anyone up to this point. He places such a high value on human life, that he couldn't even annihilate Pride in the previous chapter. In the past we have seen how Ed's strong morals and personal view on the price of human life have nearly cost him his own life, especially in his fight against Kimbley. It makes me wonder if Ed will be able to kill Father when he has never killed before. Right now, Ed seems to be running on pure adrenaline and rage (like Mustang in his fight against Envy), but will he finally stain his hands or will he falter? Perhaps Hoenheim or somebody completely unexpected like Ling will be the one to deal Father the final blow.

On a completely different note, I think that one think that really hit me in this chapter was when Greed came to the realization that he never longed for the type of power that Father wields, but instead true friends and comrades. Part of me thinks that Ling will always live with Greed inside of him and will ultimately not return to his people with the Philosopher’s Stone, which his the leader of his “clan” so desires. Part of me can see Ling becoming the new ruler of his clan, as he now knows how very dangerous true power is and has learned immortality really isn’t all that it has “cracked up to be.” Perhaps he will become a benevolent ruler? Anyway, I am thoroughly looking forward to the next and final chapter and can not wait to see if those who have lost something dear to them will get it back, or will they continue through life the best that they can despite their lose.

PS- Thank you so very much to the translators of this chapter- you guys are wonderful! A big thanks to all of those who brought us scans as well.

--------------------

+Quote Post
allykatty1
post May 12 2010, 02:37 PM
Post #324

Apprentice

Member No.: 42,571

QUOTE (RoyxRizaFan @ May 11 2010, 12:23 PM) *
I cannot believe this manga is ending in a chapter. In just a month, this story we’ve all been dedicated to and following with all our hearts for years will come to a conclusion, and all our questions will be answered, (hopefully) all our wishes fulfilled, and I really don’t want to let go! FMA has given me higher standards for what I read – shojo manga, shounen manga, and even books as well – because the way Arakawa crafted her story so carefully, placing everything to line up a certain way so she wouldn’t’ have to do anything unrealistic, out of character, or unbelievable, is simply amazing, and the set of believable, loveable characters, who you can cheer for and root on even through the toughest of situations and know they’ll come out all right in the end, is unprecedented. I can hardly read mangas like D. Gray Man anymore (especially as that manga is now) when I have FMA to compare it to. No main characters have hit me quite like the Elrics, no pairings have captured my full attention and all of my heart like Roy and Riza, and no story has made me so happy, so sad, and so captivated like Fullmetal Alchemist.

Okay, I’m done now.

Amen to that! I nearly got a tear in my eye again just from reading that bit of your post, lol! smile.gif It's so nice to know that other people out there feel the same way as me, when there are so few that I know in person. I dream of a day when the wider non-manga-reading world will recognize the genius of FMA... on top of everything else you mentioned, I am also stunned at the expression and emotion that Arakawa puts into her artwork. It stuns me that one person can be so talented as to craft such an incredible story AND be able to draw it with such impact. So many manga look similar to each other, with a limited range of "manga" style expression (particularly shojo), but Arakawa's work just doesn't quite look like anything else out there. Her characters are realistically proportioned (no CLAMP-esque stick figures or long-legged schoolgirls) and her world is so solid it seems real. I am so ecstatic to find out how it all ends, but I will be shocked if I don't cry. The only other reading material that ever made my eyes well up was the very end of The Lord of the Rings, when Frodo and Gandalf and the elves departed into the West. FMA will no doubt be the second and the greatest (at least to me!).

Back on 107, I wonder if Ed will do anything about the bolts still screwed into his collarbone? >_< Ugh, I shudder to think of it...

+Quote Post
Flamez_Freak
post May 12 2010, 04:03 PM
Post #325

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 66,548

cmon , seriously...one manga sucked this week......yucky scanlations......
the chapter felt soooooooo much better on manga stream.......

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kyelinn
post May 12 2010, 04:37 PM
Post #326

Apprentice

Oh, c'mon now...you should consider yourself lucky that there were at least scanlations, yucky or not. What would you have done if there weren't HQ scanlations on Manga Stream?

@RoyxRizaFan and allykatty1 I totally and completely agree with both of you. I'm not going to make a massive post just yet about it all because it's not the ending yet. Even though this is the 2nd to last chapter and it was excellent and tugged at the heartstrings, I'm not ready to make my post because we just don't know what's going to happen from there on yet. I have my suspicions and feelings on things, but I can't predict what will happen. I'm just going to patiently, albeit sadly, wait for the FMA finale and then I'll probably make a huge, sappy post. laugh.gif Also...there are bolts still screwed into his collarbone? o_o I saw the scars from the automail, but the bolts..? Are they really still there?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kale Mustang
post May 12 2010, 04:44 PM
Post #327

Major General

Member No.: 67,527

QUOTE (Kyelinn @ May 12 2010, 04:37 PM) *
Oh, c'mon now...you should consider yourself lucky that there were at least scanlations, yucky or not. What would you have done if there weren't HQ scanlations on Manga Stream?

No, I get what he's saying. True we were lucky to get the scans on onemanga, but they were so sloppily done that I actually felt kinda insulted by them. It's one thing to ask for permission to use both the scans that Hilary made and the translations from HBK, but when the typesetting is enough of a detractor from me reading the chapter... I just felt like it sort of did a disservice to both Hilary and HBK's work.

Even though Manga Stream took longer, there was more care put into it than the LQ version that was on onemanga.

But that's just my opinion.

+Quote Post
RoyxRizaFan
post May 12 2010, 05:39 PM
Post #328

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 54,333

QUOTE (allykatty1 @ May 12 2010, 05:37 PM) *
So many manga look similar to each other, with a limited range of "manga" style expression (particularly shojo), but Arakawa's work just doesn't quite look like anything else out there. Her characters are realistically proportioned (no CLAMP-esque stick figures or long-legged schoolgirls) and her world is so solid it seems real.

Agreed! And not only that, but all her characters look different and are recognizable. Like you said, she doesn't have a limited range, so everything from the shape of someone's jaw, nose, or eyes distinguishes them, where other mangaka rely on hair color or clothing to distinguish one character from another, so it looks like they used the same frame and just added hair and fashion to "indivisualize" characters. Arakawa recognized the subtle differences of people's bodies, and each character has a little trademark, whether it be Hughe's jaw or Scar's cheekbones.

...Is worshipping the cow goddess considered on-topic? tongue.gif If not, my apologies...

--------------------

Avatar by Michiyo and signature by me.
Fan Fiction, Fan Art
FMAobsessed Wrote:
Bradley: "Oh by the way I made Breda my personal assistant."
Roy: "WHAT NO! I AM IN IMMENSE SHOCK!"

+Quote Post
Kyelinn
post May 12 2010, 07:43 PM
Post #329

Apprentice

@_@ Oh lord, I just saw those pages again...he DOES still have bolts in his skin. D= That's just...eurgh x__x

--------------------

+Quote Post
FMAobsessed
post May 12 2010, 10:27 PM
Post #330

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 52,558

That chapter was just amazing.

I loved the Roy and Riza interactions and butt kicking done by everyone was awesome.

When Hohohenieim is lying on his stomach, at one point I thought he was headless, but it was just the angle, and me taking a quick glimpse at it.

And umm, did Scar just die?

+Quote Post

25 Pages V  « < 20 21 22 23 24 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2016 - 07:33 PM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css