HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 53 The Flames Of Revenge - Content Discussion Thread, Warning, possible spoilers for the first 53 episodes
deet-tastic
post Apr 18 2010, 07:17 PM
Post #31

Alchemists

Group: Members
Member No.: 72,768

^ I am of the opinion that it was on purpose. I mean.. come on. It HAS to be on purpose. Either that or it's the largest coincidence in anime history.

I have always loved the manga panel of Riza looking away.
I'm so glad Brotherhood included it.
http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/93/43/

--------------------

Mai videos. Let me show you dem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTd1TbpGO4w

I WANT TO RIDE AN ENVYOSAURUS!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
zonkiethegreat
post Apr 18 2010, 07:46 PM
Post #32

Alchemists

Member No.: 55,197

Wow, I thought the whole radio broadcast was great and really charged up the episode, by displaying a lot of varying degrees of emotions from the actual people who live in Central! I also loved seeing Havoc a couple times! biggrin.gif

As for the rest of the episode....what can I say?? I'm HUGE sucker for Roy Mustang, and this episode did not disappoint me at all!! The art direction was superb, and they really displayed Roy's power at its full potential here! Especially when he fried all those "zombies'. I was also one of the many who were surprised at where they ended it!

All in all I felt this episode was just one great piece of art right after the other, it was just all so fluid and well crafted!

Like when Envy transformed into Gracia Hughes....wow...it just gave me chills! It was BETTER THEN THE MANGA! (first time i say that!)

Here are two clips which I found to be just...*sigh* ....BEAUTIFUL! you never really see Roy in these angles, so I thought they were great!

Oh yeah...and how about that SUPER P***ED OFF ROY??? JEBUS!

--------------------

Visit the Roy X Winry fansite : http://royxwinry.weebly.com

+Quote Post
FMAobsessed
post Apr 18 2010, 09:18 PM
Post #33

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 52,558

I could just kick myself for getting so far behind in Brotherhood. At least the screenshots look amazing.

+Quote Post
Vagrant
post Apr 19 2010, 06:56 AM
Post #34

Apprentice

Member No.: 31,830

Was I the only one who thought the art was really weird?
A lot of Roy and Envy faces looked really odd to me.

I presume it's partially to pad the episodes out, but there are some bizarre changes from the manga again.

The radio scene was kinda stupidified with the laughing guys in the background of the supposed hostage situation. In the manga, everyone was just chilling.
I also preferred Denny's reaction with just the eyes as opposed to a huge smile. It just seemed more fitting.
There was the way Envy and Mei dropped down, made more sense in the manga to me.
And in the conversation with Envy and co, it (Roy in particular) were nowhere near as dry as that.

I know this sounds like a nitpick but I've gone on before about this stuff with Envy being very cathartic. So I really wanted to make the burnination have impact, like the sound effects should've been much louder or...Something.

So, yeah.
Oh, I missed the credits and the 'next time on' part, by the way. Did I miss anything good?

--------------------
I made a blog about things.
(Disclaimer: blog may also contain stuff)
Please take a look. I'd appreciate any comments.

+Quote Post
Jealous Rogo
post Apr 19 2010, 07:39 AM
Post #35

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,019

I like that teh anime has decided to emphasise the discord amongst the citizens of Ametris a bit more, the manga did it teh same but I think the music and extra scenes really, really helped here.

Of course the main focus of this week is on Mustang's stuff.

First off, THANK YOU Bones for changing 'burning their legs off' to 'reducing them to ash' that makes so much more sense.

I loved some fo teh animation and artwork in this episode, parts of it in places seemed more like I was watching Gainax or Gurren Laagan than FMA.

And I have to say Envy's voice actress did a fantastic job, she's always done great at making Envy's more sadistic scenes sound great but what really was fantastic this week were her screams. They felt real and made watching this episode fantastic.

Can't wait for next week.

--------------------

Please check out my comic if you have the time

+Quote Post
Flamez_Freak
post Apr 19 2010, 09:59 AM
Post #36

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 66,548

The fluidity of movements durin extreme action scenes is somethin i admire so much in this anime . . For example

bradley versus greed
roy versus lust
that short battle between lin and envy
greedlin versus wrath
pride and kimblee versus al
and now this smile.gif smile.gif
awesome stuff , it gives more intensity to the scenes and makes it look gorgeous . . .

--------------------

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Apr 19 2010, 11:03 AM
Post #37

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 55,758

Pretty good episode. Not great. But pretty good.

@Vagrant - I'm with you, I thought Roy did look odd in some places. And yeah, I would also have liked the flaming sound effects to be a little louder and more.... crispifying XD I would have liked hearing the bastards skin deep fry. This wasn't anything too special or, as you say, impactful. But hey, we're not done yet.

The music when Roy went into rage mode wasn't the best fitting song for me. It worked, I guess, but I would have liked something different.

--------------------

Sig and ava by Forsaken Love :3

Bye bye, Edward Elric :(

+Quote Post
starkast
post Apr 19 2010, 11:08 AM
Post #38

Citizen

Member No.: 71,262

Really good epi after being behind like 13 episodes laugh.gif.

+Quote Post
RoyxRizaFan
post Apr 19 2010, 02:48 PM
Post #39

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 54,333

To claudius, penguintruth, and everyone who thinks this battle had no meaning: As stated before, this battle was forshadowed to ever since Hughe's death, waaay back when Roy first felt the spark of vengenance. Honestly, Envy being tricked to come to Marcoh for HIM to toss him around was the REAL pointless scene, if either of them had to be, because it did little for the plot, and all it did was make Marcoh look cool. This battle, on the other hand, has been hinted at since, like, volume four, and had a huge impact on Roy's character, and how he has to not only overcome outer conflicts, but inner ones as well to make a good leader, as well as showing even more depth to Roy and Riza's relationship (and I don't mean this romantically, thank you) and tying it what it meant for her to make him a flame alchemists, and her promise to shoot him if he ever strayed off his path. All these things and more were important for this battle, while all the Marcoh one did was show how cool alchemy can be, or whatever, and seperating Mei from the group. If there's one of the fights we could have done without, it could have been that one. Everything we learned from it only worked towards Envy's return, so he could fight Roy.

So yes, this battle IS important to the plot, and to the characters involved, and was hinted at from the very beginning of the series, and throughout it since, and will have a huge impact on Roy and the future of Amestria.

--------------------

Avatar by Michiyo and signature by me.
Fan Fiction, Fan Art
FMAobsessed Wrote:
Bradley: "Oh by the way I made Breda my personal assistant."
Roy: "WHAT NO! I AM IN IMMENSE SHOCK!"

+Quote Post
ShadowCat17
post Apr 19 2010, 03:28 PM
Post #40

Citizen

Member No.: 44,714

I think they kind of messed up the shots of Mustang and Riza at the end when they were pointing their respective weapons at each other. The manga expressions were better

You can compare them:
http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/94/34/

http://hi.baidu.com/hilalchemist/album/fa%...C7%E5%BD%D8%88D

Overall the episode didn't disappoint

+Quote Post
Tian Ai
post Apr 19 2010, 03:44 PM
Post #41

Alchemists

Member No.: 43,879

It surprised me because I was used to anime1 where he cried and then forgot about it, but this is a true conflict of the madness of revenge. Roy is a person that takes things deeply to heart, since Ishbal left him with such deep scars, and I'm, errr, glad this anime manages to show how painful his idealism can be. Umm, is it okay that I feel like crying with all this emotion? crybaby.gif

And Roy has always been established as having an extremely weak spot for his teammates, too. This episode got to me too, when he was going berserk. We never see that side of Roy! The anime did it pretty well. I'm glad they didn't understate his... psycho fit? o.O

So yes, this battle IS important to the plot, and to the characters involved, and was hinted at from the very beginning of the series, and throughout it since, and will have a huge impact on Roy and the future of Amestria.

Hehe sounds like an essay thesis! biggrin.gif But I couldn't agree more. It's very significant and relates Roy and Scar on a deeper level, and finally ties together the Hughes-Revenge mission.

But as epic as the episode was, I snorted a little bit when I saw this: http://hi.baidu.com/hilalchemist/album/ite...cab211c7e8.html

--------------------

・守るよ・
リザ・ロイ
--------
[DeviantArt]

Original artwork by Chocolate Queen

+Quote Post
ShadowCat17
post Apr 19 2010, 03:58 PM
Post #42

Citizen

Member No.: 44,714

I do wish they had left the part about Envy realizing that Roy does his pinpoint attacks with one hand, and large explosions with the other. It didn't quite have the same effect with Roy just saying that he has pinpoint accuracy.

+Quote Post
Claudius
post Apr 19 2010, 06:38 PM
Post #43

Apprentice

Member No.: 42,805

Hold it, I was just trying to open my mind a little to other people's views. I felt Penguintruth did have some points (Marcoh did need his moment of atonement, and Roy already killed one Homunculus), even though I wasn't entirely in agreement with him/her. If you noticed, I did question Penguintruth's criticism about Roy going after the order-taker rather than the order-maker (like he did in Anime1).

Anyway, what interests me most of Roy's revenge- whether its against Bradley in Anime1 or Envy in the manga- is that:

Man, Roy must have loved Maes Hughes very much.

With exception to Riza Hawkeye, Maes Hughes is probably the only person Roy Mustang ever truly loved (Not that way!). I'm probably not exaggerating that Hughes was a major factor in making Roy the man he is (as best friends usually are). In the manga, Hughes' optimism to survive during Ishval probably kept Roy from blowing his brains out (With Hughes' absence in Anime1's Ishbal war showing Roy, well, almost blowing his brains out). In Anime1, when Roy was probably at his lowest point- isolated in his room working on human transmutation- it was the presence of Hughes that brought a smile to the haggard alchemist's face, probably for the first time in years. Hughes helped Roy climb up to the ranks, steering him to the right path (with his absence probably throwing Roy into some wrong paths; Hughes would have vetoed the Blackmail plot). No matter how much the guy bugged him with his many phonecalls or pictures of Elysia, Roy was devoted to his friend. So Maes Hughes' death was probably the hardest blow he ever suffered. It left a gaping wound that can probably never be healed.
That he is capable of dropping everything he believes in to make his best friend's murderer pay- it's an expression of friendship love. True, revenge is not the right expression for it, but it is an honest expression nevertheless.

+Quote Post
zonkiethegreat
post Apr 19 2010, 07:34 PM
Post #44

Alchemists

Member No.: 55,197

QUOTE (Claudius @ Apr 19 2010, 09:38 PM) *
Anyway, what interests me most of Roy's revenge- whether its against Bradley in Anime1 or Envy in the manga- is that:

Man, Roy must have loved Maes Hughes very much.

With exception to Riza Hawkeye, Maes Hughes is probably the only person Roy Mustang ever truly loved (Not that way!).

Well if I were in Roy's shoes, and someone like Envy had murdered my best friend, especially the callously cold way he did it, I would unleash PURE HELL on them too.

Roy's character has always been very loyal to his comrades, he would've done the same for Havoc (i believe).

--------------------

Visit the Roy X Winry fansite : http://royxwinry.weebly.com

+Quote Post
Vicious74
post Apr 19 2010, 09:20 PM
Post #45

Citizen

Member No.: 71,248

QUOTE (RoyxRizaFan @ Apr 19 2010, 10:48 PM) *
To claudius, penguintruth, and everyone who thinks this battle had no meaning: As stated before, this battle was forshadowed to ever since Hughe's death, waaay back when Roy first felt the spark of vengenance. Honestly, Envy being tricked to come to Marcoh for HIM to toss him around was the REAL pointless scene

THANK YOU!

The Marcoh fight was crap. A major antagonist being 'pwned' and ridiculed just so a minor guy who'd been pretty much a non-character, just a lump of misery and self-loathing, could have a 'cool' moment is just plain stupid. Doubly so because, as RoyxRizaFan explained, it made the REAL meaningful Envy fight that was to come lose some of its impact.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th June 2016 - 11:37 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css