HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 53 The Flames Of Revenge - Content Discussion Thread, Warning, possible spoilers for the first 53 episodes
deet-tastic
post Apr 18 2010, 07:09 AM
Post #16

Alchemists

Group: Members
Member No.: 72,768

Oh man I so called that "burn my back" scene being attached to the episode where Riza confronts Mustang.
I saw that coming from miles away.

I can't watch the episode yet sad.gif
I will post my impressions in 4 hours. I HAD to come in and see screenshots though!

--------------------

Mai videos. Let me show you dem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTd1TbpGO4w

I WANT TO RIDE AN ENVYOSAURUS!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mr. Deathy
post Apr 18 2010, 08:03 AM
Post #17

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,164

Hmm, episode was really good in terms of art and animation and I wasn't "disappointed" but I have one complaint.

Just like I thought from reading the summaries, the battle is split over two eps which kind of takes away from the "epicness" of the scenes since if it was all in one completely action packed episode it would've been the most dramatic (aka all of chapter 94 in one ep). Also they didn't play a new track or in fact any recent new tracks during the fight scenes, which was a missed opportunity for me.

Anyway the art was still fantastic though and the animation at the end was great. I just wish they hadn't decided to end the episode there, but I knew it was coming when 54's summary still talked about Roy and Riza "overcoming traps".

I can't believe people like Penguintruth have a problem with this section of the manga, it makes so much sense to me it's unreal. There was nothing contrived about Envy coming back (the homonculus are powered by Philosopher's stones, there are tons of stones in central, all he needed was more and May is a naive little girl), Mustang had been set up throughout the ENTIRE SERIES to be his opponent ("Did you kill Maes Hughes" was asked at least 3 times prior to this fight) and it also serves as the perfect set up for Mustang to have (manga spoiler)One last chance to fight before the events that happen to him in the near future. Who else would his opponent have been for an end of series battle? Wrath? Scar or Greedling certainly made more sense for that fight. Pride? That just seems like a weird matchup.

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Apr 18 2010, 08:13 AM
Post #18

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

PLEASE NOTE

Though many of you will know what is coming in the next episode can be avoid spoiling it for those who don't read the manga? I have edited posts in lieu of this, so please remember to post with care, or I'll use my flames of revenge!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Katya Martin
post Apr 18 2010, 11:23 AM
Post #19

Alchemists

Member No.: 72,181

Denny's face when he realized who the voice on the radio belonged to was priceless.
Ooh... pretty spirals of fire... why did they stand there talking so long though?
...And then Envy was on fire. About time.
Roy, if your face sticks that way, the fangirls (and Hawkeye!) are never gonna forgive you...
Envy really fails at stop, drop, and roll.

Can't wait for next episode!

I thought that episode was pretty well-done overall, they got a lot of scenes right I think. Though of course I'm rather interested in the translation... I knew what was going on from the manga and understood a little of the dialogue, but the subtitles really help. xD The only reason I understand any Japanese at all is probably because of all the Fullmetal I've watched...

--------------------

awesomeness by Arakawa, Project FMA banner by Aribelle, avatar by me
I draw things.

+Quote Post
deet-tastic
post Apr 18 2010, 12:03 PM
Post #20

Alchemists

Member No.: 72,768

Oh man that was amazing. They kept in my favorite joke!! biggrin.gif between Mustang and Riza at the beginning.

This ep did not dissapoint!

--------------------

Mai videos. Let me show you dem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTd1TbpGO4w

I WANT TO RIDE AN ENVYOSAURUS!

+Quote Post
Bag of Magic Foo...
post Apr 18 2010, 12:08 PM
Post #21

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,555

QUOTE (Claudius @ Apr 18 2010, 06:46 AM) *
Restoring Envy to his default form only to shortly lose it again reminds me of those Anime fillers shoehorned between manga continuity, breaking and then restoring the continuity (like Naruto's Sasuke suffering two mental breakdowns in the Anime because the writers wanted a little saga in between, or Dragon Ball Z's Ginyu Frog switching minds with Buruma only to go back to being a frog). It suggests that Envy was supposed to stay a tadpole.

I like to call this the "Zero Sum Scene", and another type I like to point out is cutscenes in video games that don't affect what the player's about to face at all. For example, in MegaMan Battle Network 2, we start with MegaMan facing ShadowMan one-on-one. But then Dr. Hikari sends in a special cannon that will annihilate ShadowMan in one blast, but can only be used once. ShadowMan points out that if MegaMan misses, he'll destroy the invaluable Mother Computer core instead, but an injured ProtoMan shows up to pin ShadowMan to the spot with the last of his strength. Unfortunately, ShadowMan's minions beam in to intercept the blast of the cannon just as MegaMan fires, and ProtoMan is too weak to help anymore, so we end up with only MegaMan vs. ShadowMan in a fair fight... just as it would have been if this whole cutscene had never happened. Similarly, near the end of the game, MegaMan's walking through an empty corridor, and then he appears to have to fight his friends...

+Quote Post
FailToImpress
post Apr 18 2010, 02:14 PM
Post #22

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 62,174

Loved the episode!
-I like where they ended it, it'll give anyone who isn't familiar with the manga a nice little cliffhanger, although I did think that the preview for the next episode kinda gave it away a little.
-Mustang looked positively p***ed, there was no doubt at how angry he was.

Now I just have to wait, what, nearly a year to hear it in English!

+Quote Post
A Pierrot's Aria
post Apr 18 2010, 02:21 PM
Post #23

Special Ops (Friendly Member Advisor)
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 68,926

^I loved it too! Not long watched it subbed! biggrin.gif I also can't wait to hear it in English. It's so long a wait...xD

I love how they ended it, even if at first it seemed a little strange; for those who don't read the manga it's a choice between Roy or Riza that could truly be Envy at that point-- because of the suspect behaviour from both of them; Roy's easy acceptance of Riza's disobedience of his orders, or Riza's creepy grin and the fact she's pointing a gun at his head. I also loved the music at that part- especially the bit where he turns to face her, it sounded pretty creepy. xD

I also liked the bit where Envy transforms into Gracia and even his whole confession- it was awesomely animated and it got Envy's character down to a T, he truly is evil (and psychotic). I also like how while Roy is seething, Riza is looking away as though she's trying to keep her composure yet looks thoroughly sickened by what she's hearing. And she probably knows how Roy must be feeling, too.

I also think the amount of times they say "Mustang" in a single scene also hit record numbers. *shot*

I really can't wait until the next episode!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bag of Magic Foo...
post Apr 18 2010, 02:43 PM
Post #24

Apprentice

QUOTE (A Pierrot's Aria @ Apr 18 2010, 03:21 PM) *
I love how they ended it, even if at first it seemed a little strange; for those who don't read the manga it's a choice between Roy or Riza that could truly be Envy at that point-- because of the suspect behaviour from both of them; Roy's easy acceptance of Riza's disobedience of his orders, or Riza's creepy grin and the fact she's pointing a gun at his head.

Just what I thought. At first I thought Riza was Envy about to get the drop on Roy, but then I realized it could be the other way around, with Envy taking out Riza to give Roy one less ally, since Roy didn't actually use his alchemy at that moment. You're right that Riza pointing the gun leads the viewer to believe Riza is Envy, but the fact that they're setting up this belief right at the end of the episode leads me to suspect that it's a trick and neither of them is Envy. Can't be too trusting after they fooled us into thinking Zampano was helping Envy!

Of course, this only reminds me of how episode 49 failed at its own suspenseful misdirection cliffhanger thanks to the next episode preview. Yeah, we were so scared there for like 5 seconds, and then we clearly saw that the group hadn't really been shot. This is why Adult Swim removing the previews for TV won't always be a bad thing.

QUOTE (A Pierrot's Aria @ Apr 18 2010, 03:21 PM) *
I also liked the bit where Envy transforms into Gracia and even his whole confession- it was awesomely animated and it got Envy's character down to a T, he truly is evil (and psychotic).

I'm considering pranking some viewers of the English dub by taking a screencap of that scene and claiming that Gracia was Envy's true form all along. But that might be a little too mean. cool.gif

+Quote Post
black~hayate
post Apr 18 2010, 03:09 PM
Post #25

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 67,859

QUOTE (deet-tastic @ Apr 18 2010, 09:03 PM) *
Oh man that was amazing. They kept in my favorite joke!! biggrin.gif between Mustang and Riza at the beginning.

This ep did not dissapoint!

What was your favorite joke?
Cause it seemed to me like they missed the "your tears I want to see them again" scene. Or was that the fact that I don't understand Japanese? So was it there or wasn't ?

--------------------
You have to leave me alot of cute messages! I love messages =3

Bark! Bark bark bark!

+Quote Post
FailToImpress
post Apr 18 2010, 03:12 PM
Post #26

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 62,174

QUOTE (Bag of Magic Food @ Apr 18 2010, 10:43 PM) *
I'm considering pranking some viewers of the English dub by taking a screencap of that scene and claiming that Gracia was Envy's true form all along. But that might be a little too mean. cool.gif

Hahaha, oh lord. laugh.gif But Elicia gives at all away! Unless she's involved too... hmm.

A Pierrot's Aria: Yeah, I forgot to mention that bit about Riza looking away, that was a nice touch.

+Quote Post
Tian Ai
post Apr 18 2010, 03:41 PM
Post #27

Alchemists

Member No.: 43,879

I also liked the bit where Envy transforms into Gracia and even his whole confession- it was awesomely animated and it got Envy's character down to a T, he truly is evil (and psychotic). I also like how while Roy is seething, Riza is looking away as though she's trying to keep her composure yet looks thoroughly sickened by what she's hearing. And she probably knows how Roy must be feeling, too.

Perriot's Aria - I loved this part, too. I felt it was very well done, built up suspense/horror/upsetness.
And it truly confirms that Envy is, indeed, a complete arse.
The ending makes me curious to see what would have happened had it been vice versa - if Riza was Envy. Oh boy...

What was your favorite joke?
Cause it seemed to me like they missed the "your tears I want to see them again" scene. Or was that the fact that I don't understand Japanese? So was it there or wasn't ?

black~hayate - They did include the joke ^^ But it's not that nice because their expressions don't change much from being serious, so it's hard to tell they're joking. In the manga Riza had a tiny blush going, while his expression was poking fun at her. tongue.gif

--------------------

・守るよ・
リザ・ロイ
--------
[DeviantArt]

Original artwork by Chocolate Queen

+Quote Post
Bag of Magic Foo...
post Apr 18 2010, 04:00 PM
Post #28

Apprentice

QUOTE (FailToImpress @ Apr 18 2010, 04:12 PM) *
But Elicia gives at all away! Unless she's involved too... hmm.

I'll have the entire Hughes family suspected of being homunculi before I'm through! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Vicious74
post Apr 18 2010, 06:05 PM
Post #29

Citizen

Member No.: 71,248

QUOTE (A Pierrot's Aria @ Apr 18 2010, 10:21 PM) *

Yesss awesome scene is awesome. Envy's more than happy to confess his evil deeds (see my avatar) and this time was just as deliciously twisted as the Ishval one inside Gluttony's stomach.

It's moments like that that make watching him squirm in pain and suffering at the hand of berserk Roy's flames so satisfying.

Speaking of which, my props go to Minami Takayama in this episode. Absolutely amazing performance. I'm truly sorry for those who only watch the English dub and will miss out on it and have to settle for Envy's cringeworthy English VA. And also props to Shinichiro Miki, who should be even more impressive next episode with the great scenes Roy has in store for him.

+Quote Post
EveningAlchemist
post Apr 18 2010, 06:50 PM
Post #30

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,198

The anticipation this episode builds up in the beginning killed me! All of us manga readers knew what was coming...
Totally love how Roy was made up as some sort of hero in the people's eyes right before...

Once again, Roy Mustang's rescue/entrance of flaming glory kicks butt! (And reduces freakish zombies to ash!) Envy entrance is not quite so posh. But his evil giggle's were oh-so-perfect! The animation on Envy was great too. It's great how it was distorted and terrifying.

The image of Roy burning Hughes is a very vivid one... and how he was able to torture Envy... it's shows how strongly Roy felt all this time. It surprised me because I was used to anime1 where he cried and then forgot about it, but this is a true conflict of the madness of revenge. Roy is a person that takes things deeply to heart, since Ishbal left him with such deep scars, and I'm, errr, glad this anime manages to show how painful his idealism can be. Umm, is it okay that I feel like crying with all this emotion? crybaby.gif

Isn't it kind of ironic that this episode and the english dub of Hughes death are shown in the same week?

--------------------

If you have attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an
array, copy and paste this in your signature.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2016 - 05:23 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css