As I've already mentioned, I haven't read this part of the manga, so didn't know how things would play out dead on, which was a nice change. Slightly mixed feelings about this episode though, to be honest. It was pretty good, but in comparison to last weeks, which slightly much blew me away, it was a minor letdown. Animation was overall more consistent here, but the music was not used as well at all.
- I liked the fight against Pride and Kimbley. Alphonse handled himself pretty well out there, both in terms of wooping some butt, and also of course in looking awesome while doing it. Both the sword sequence and the dragon transmutation were pretty neat, I especially found the angles of the latter to be damn cool.
- Yoki saving the day, I really felt his bravery
While it was lolful, it was still epic, and a little moving in a way, no one had expected him to come out there. But he did.
- Kimbley getting bitten was lacking on impact for me, could have been much, much better. But the scene afterwards, where he is lying in pain on the ground, struggling for breath, almost made up for it. Pride eating him was definitely creepy and disturbing enough in my opinion.
- But really, despite some pretty good scenes on Al and co's part, Olivier and Alex owned this episode. The Opening song did not feel right for me, while Ed was fighting zombies. The scene itself wasn't powerful or emotional in any way. So I thought that was lame. But then it transitioned to Alex and Olivier, the former being all noble in a moment of epic heroicness. HERE the song fitted, accompanying - or even enhancing - the scene very well. Quite nice.
- About the zombies, I really feel they missed out on some "scariness" potential. They don't really feel like that much of a big deal, and they're not treated as one either, by neither directors or characters. Not until towards the end of the episode, anyway. Also, why is there no gore? I felt this goes for Heinkel snogging with Kimbley as well, snd some Sloth parts. This show has already shown it can be more brutal than the manga, so why the timidness now?
- Mustang's entrance to the scene was good. But the ending of the episode was a bit awkward.