HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 51: Army Of Immortals - Content Discussion Thread, Warning, possible spoilers for the first 51 episodes
hawkflame
post Apr 5 2010, 07:54 PM
Post #31

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 71,737

GREAT episode. Loved the immortal army, loved Armstrong/Sloth, loved the Heinkel/Al moment at the end... And yeah, the "Fullmetal Alchemst" guy in the eyecatch DID sound like Vic Mignogna.

My only complaint is the artwork, once again - especially Olivier and Edward. Their faces looked absolutely hideous in some shots.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mazam
post Apr 5 2010, 09:19 PM
Post #32

Citizen

Member No.: 49,332

The episode was really good. The weirdest shot was one of Olivier where her hairline was wrong, she had one huge forehead.

A part of me wishes some of the immortal army dolls did make it above ground to find any loved ones they might have remembered. That would have been so chaotic. A bunch of the dolls standing around doing nothing was a bit annoying at first, but then I thought maybe they were followers. You know, they weren't exactly sure what to do so when the few that were more dominant acted out they observed and then copied them.

+Quote Post
Bag of Magic Foo...
post Apr 5 2010, 09:21 PM
Post #33

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,555

QUOTE (sidekick.kep37 @ Apr 5 2010, 06:16 PM) *
I felt bad for the poor scientist guy. He could've been like Marcoh- dragged against his will- for all we know.

I wondered why he didn't just bolt for the door while that officer was getting eaten. I guess everybody in this episode preferred to stand around!

Zombie-fight was cool... but most of them were just standing around doing nothing.

"Guys, maybe we should do something now, before our threat level falls below the Putty Patrol's!"

Slow-mo zombie rush looked retarded.

I liked the way the shot was framed, but it was ruined by the characters not being drawn well enough. Come on animators, they're not THAT far away! Add some detail!

I am not a Mei fan, but this part was awesome. Lolz, at Envy in the jar.

I had to laugh at May's ability to run with the jar balanced on her head, even though I had already seen it in the preview.

+Quote Post
Jealous Rogo
post Apr 6 2010, 03:45 AM
Post #34

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,019

While I notice a lot fo people are picking on the drawings in this episode (series in general) and how some characters looked weird, etc, etc, I would like to point out how FANTASTIC the animation was in this episode. Normally we get a couple of great animated moments every few episode, in this episode we had a slew of great animation. Off the top of my head;

Ed fighting the Dolls
The entire scene with Envy and May from start to finish
Sloth VS Armstrong

And I know there were more, I was really impressed.

There was however, a notable amount of scenes where Characters were logically, just standing around while stuff happened. My favourite being 'stop him Alphonse!' *Al just sits there*

Good episode, setting up some of the more awesome battles.

Like I said earlier, I kinda wished we had the previous ending kick in when Al emerges, but upon seeing the whole episode, this worked pretty well as well. The scene with Heikel explaining about the Philsopher's Stone's desire to fight back was fantastic. It's another of my favourite momnets in the series (it's pretty much the culmination of Al's 'I'm human' delimma) and they handled it brilliantly.

PLEASE, PLEASE DON'T LET THEM SCREW UP KIMBLEE'S LINE NEXT WEEK.

Though that's more on the subbers lol.

--------------------

Please check out my comic if you have the time

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Apr 6 2010, 04:34 AM
Post #35

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 55,758

@Jealous Rogo - I agree, I really like the animation in this episode. There were some beauty spots here and there, but overall, it was pretty damn fantastic. And it's never dull or bland, at least, as it's been in other episodes/scenes.

I disagree about the previous ending though tongue.gif Like this one much better. This looks like it'll be Brotherhood's "Through the Door" of the original FMA for me, which had a great, really emotional instrumental intro.

Oh, something hit me yesterday, haha. The next episode will be a manga spoiler for me XD There's a couple of chapters around 90-ish that I haven't read, because I didn't read monthly up until around chapter 100, preferring to read it in hand (then it all got far too exciting not to follow monthly). And now the anime's caught up with Viz's releases XD Tis quite funny, actually. I'm not entirely sure what's going down in the next episode. It's a unique opportunity for me to feel like the anime-only people normally do happy.gif

--------------------

Sig and ava by Forsaken Love :3

Bye bye, Edward Elric :(

+Quote Post
Ropespinner
post Apr 6 2010, 06:54 AM
Post #36

Apprentice

Member No.: 46,466

QUOTE (Jealous Rogo @ Apr 6 2010, 01:45 PM) *
There was however, a notable amount of scenes where Characters were logically, just standing around while stuff happened. My favourite being 'stop him Alphonse!' *Al just sits there*

This very much. I quess it was because they're slowing the pacing now, putting less manga material into a single episode, and that led to some inappropriate non-action scenes here and there. It doesn't help that I already thought that Heinkel and Al not figuring out that Pride was sending a message was an odd stupidity moment in the manga. The pacing-induced 'standing around doing nothing' syndrome just managed to make it look more stupid.

I had also noticed Ed, Scar and the chimerae, uhh, sloping to attack the zombies in slow motion, which someone mentioned. It didn't look very good.

On the other hand, there were some instances of noticeably good art/animation. In the scene were Heinkel was talking to Al in the dust cloud, they really managed to make Al look sad. Arakawa has usually been good at making that helmet expressive, but the Brotherhood team really shone there.

And I want a GIF animation of the Mei vs. zombies scene.

--------------------
I'm Sallykie on LJ and most other forums, Seita on ZOMGFTA Forums.

+Quote Post
Ant
post Apr 6 2010, 01:33 PM
Post #37

Citizen

Member No.: 35,470

QUOTE (sidekick.kep37 @ Apr 5 2010, 07:16 PM) *
@Ant: "Everything else into 3 episodes?" Don't you mean, like, everything else in 12 episodes?

Wow, 12 more? I was told it was only going through 54 episodes. That's good to know, and probably the best news I've heard all week.

+Quote Post
Vagrant
post Apr 6 2010, 06:28 PM
Post #38

Apprentice

Member No.: 31,830

It's weird how they've added bits in, but still cut stuff from the manga. As well as the event reshuffling.
I reckon they're trying to fill it out to let the manga get ahead.

I did really like the animation for Mei fighting the dolls, as JRogo mentioned.
But how dare she be that awesome when she's done something so stupid!

--------------------
I made a blog about things.
(Disclaimer: blog may also contain stuff)
Please take a look. I'd appreciate any comments.

+Quote Post
Mr. Deathy
post Apr 7 2010, 11:57 AM
Post #39

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,164

QUOTE (Ant @ Apr 6 2010, 02:33 PM) *
QUOTE (sidekick.kep37 @ Apr 5 2010, 07:16 PM) *
@Ant: "Everything else into 3 episodes?" Don't you mean, like, everything else in 12 episodes?

Wow, 12 more? I was told it was only going through 54 episodes. That's good to know, and probably the best news I've heard all week.

Did you seriously think they'd make a new OP and only use it for 4 episodes?

+Quote Post
Chiyo
post Apr 8 2010, 11:38 AM
Post #40

Moderator Emeritus

Member No.: 6,466

It has been driving my loopy trying to remember what the dolls reminded me of, and watching the subbed ep has finally reminded me, The Pale Man from Pan's Labyrinth.

Rather good episode, still smirking broadly at the new op. Animation was better in this one too, it has been here and there in these latest episodes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MsLinn
post Apr 8 2010, 12:53 PM
Post #41

Apprentice

Member No.: 72,213

But shouldn't that scientist know bullets wont kill them?
Ok, I was JUST about to say that the "Fullmetal Alchemist!"-guy doesn't bother me anymore, but ORRRGH!
Finally an Al-eyecatcher!
May-chan...your skills are blinding.
Clarification needed. Did Envy eat the souls as an energy-source?
I felt slighly sad for (and scared of) Envy when ...it/he...laughed and patted his face.
Then there was AWESOME animation of his face when he thanked May.

I usually don't count action or fighting (or freaky zombies) as Bringers of Awesomeness, so this episode was so so for me.
Made me a happy Al!fangirl, though!

EDIT: I read the corresponding chapters now and I see that they've censored a little (for example when Scar attacks a doll and in the manga its head comes off almost entirely), but made some stuff make more sense. I like that they didn't put Al and Heinkel's conversation afterwards. It didn't lessen the awsomeness of Al's entrance, I think it made it more...emotional.
In the maga, Ed just states as-a-matter-of-factly that the zombies are souls bonded to dolls. How did he know?
I miss the Arakawa-ish thrown in joke when Scar agrees with Ed.
I don't think I like that they cut up Armstrongs' fight with Sloth, but I don't know...

--------------------

Long live the love we shared. In our Fullmetal hearts.

+Quote Post
RoytheFlameAlche...
post Apr 8 2010, 08:27 PM
Post #42

Citizen

Member No.: 30,518

Hey, some question about the use of the philosopher's stone.
From what i understand it just let the user avoid equivalent exchange by using the souls in the stone, isnt it? Is there anything else to it? I think i recall from the manga that Al didnt need to clap his hands to perform alchemy while having the ps. Is that another feature?
Also , is it a coincidence that he build his his legs again after getting the ps, couldnt he do it before just from elements in the ground with normal alchemy?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kaori Ayanami
post Apr 8 2010, 09:15 PM
Post #43

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,575

QUOTE (RoytheFlameAlchemist @ Apr 8 2010, 08:27 PM) *
From what i understand it just let the user avoid equivalent exchange by using the souls in the stone, isnt it? [..]
Also , is it a coincidence that he build his his legs again after getting the ps, couldnt he do it before just from elements in the ground with normal alchemy?

There's no way (so far) to avoid equivalent exchange in FMA manga and Brotherhood. A PS is is like an alchemy battery with a huge amount of energy, ready to be used.
Of course Al could have rebuilt his legs without the PS. But not as quickly. Besides, he was too busy saving Heinkel at that time.

+Quote Post
hawkflame
post Apr 9 2010, 05:09 AM
Post #44

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,737

QUOTE (Kaori Ayanami @ Apr 9 2010, 12:15 AM) *
QUOTE (RoytheFlameAlchemist @ Apr 8 2010, 08:27 PM) *
From what i understand it just let the user avoid equivalent exchange by using the souls in the stone, isnt it? [..]

There's no way (so far) to avoid equivalent exchange in FMA manga and Brotherhood. A PS is is like an alchemy battery with a huge amount of energy, ready to be used.
Of course Al could have rebuilt his legs without the PS. But not as quickly. Besides, he was too busy saving Heinkel at that time.

Not quite. The PS does allow equivalent exchange, in a sense, to be broken- well not really, but through the use of human souls, the price has already been paid.

Al couldn't have just remade his legs by further thinning out the rest of his armor, because then he risks the rest of his armor being structurally unsound. And he couldn't have made it from random materials on the ground, because that's not how alchemy works- unless you have a PS, you need the same basic elements

+Quote Post
Billea_the_Turtl...
post Apr 9 2010, 07:27 PM
Post #45

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,334

Well this episode was really good. Almost perfect. Only complaint that I have is that there were some animation mishaps (I'm sure someone has already pointed them out.)

-Is it wrong that I laughed when the general got his neck bitten? I just cannot take those zombies seriously.
-Poor scientist... What a gruesome way to die, getting eaten by zombies.
-Ed's facial expressions when he was trying to open the door were funny looking.
-Once again Olivier is being awesome.
-That general dude had some serious guts for having all the entrances to HQ closed when he was held hostage by Olivier. Too bad he got squished by Sloth in a humorous way.
-Why does that zombie have green blood? That is just creepy.
-"A bear! A bear with a Mohawk!" WIN 1.0
-Kimblee sure knows how to make an entrance.
-The FMA guy has lost it. That I am sure of. Eyecatch 1: "see no evil, speak no evil, hear no evil"
-I loved Mei beating up about 10 zombies in 5 seconds. WIN 2.0
-I think Envy just went CoS Gluttony on those zombies. And wait he got eaten? I don't remember that happening in the manga.
-Olivier why exactly are you shooting Sloth with a gun when you know it's not going to work?
-"SISTA~ ARE YOU AWRITE!" WIN 3.0
-Alphonse Elric next episode = WIN 4.0

--------------------
"Wisdom begins in wonder." ~Socrates

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th July 2016 - 05:22 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css