HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 41: The Abyss - Content Discussion Thread, Warning, possible spoilers for the first 41 episodes
Forsaken Love
post Jan 24 2010, 12:19 PM
Post #16

State Alchemist (Major)

Group: Members
Member No.: 69,408

watched the ep in RAW, ooooo romi pakus performance really gave me shivers will be ammused to see Vic's attempt *shot* seriously though I'd be interested to see if he can live up to this, the performance was really good. Im still irritated that they didnt use this for a cliffhanger woulda been a brilliant one, but I'm happy I got to see it all in one ep, hopefully they'll have ed and co away for quite awhile now and at least hold onto some suspence, oh and i liked how the end song started early =3

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Disasterpiece
post Jan 24 2010, 01:36 PM
Post #17

Alchemists

Member No.: 66,581

i want to watch subbed version of ep 41, dammit!

ETA: Jan 25: just finished watching the subbed episode

hooooooly crap

now i didnt read the manga up to this point but is Ed's lifespan shortened now? sad.gif

--------------------

EdwardxWinry

[credit goes to Aquarina :D]

+Quote Post
Hyperthia
post Jan 24 2010, 01:52 PM
Post #18

Apprentice

Member No.: 68,952

*goes insane*
Romi did an amazing job! OMG I was queasy by the time that scene was over XD
Gosh, I could almost feels poor Ed's pain. The animation was really good in that scene too. The way he was twitching and breathing... ohmy.gif
I just wanted to hug the poor little guy sad.gif Don't tell him I called him little.

--------------------
Siggy made by hilary::Avatar by me: link (do not use)
My FanFiction and DeviantArt accounts. :)

+Quote Post
A Pierrot's Aria
post Jan 24 2010, 02:23 PM
Post #19

Special Ops (Friendly Member Advisor)
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 68,926

I agree, Paku Romi did an amazing job with the blood curdling scream!

I'm glad they didn't leave it as a cliff hanger; I agree with the member who said it wasn't really a real cliff hanger in the sense that we pretty much knew he wasn't going to die. xD

The animation was really good, and (horrible as it sounds) I loved the way Ed kept losing energy and collapsing when he turned around to blast off the metal girder/pole. The heavy breathing also made it look the part.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fmadiva
post Jan 25 2010, 08:04 PM
Post #20

Citizen

Member No.: 47,009

QUOTE (Kasumisty @ Jan 24 2010, 07:02 AM) *
.... And now the best part, I like everything about it, how Ed was coughing up blood, gasping screaming and twitching in agony. It seemed so painful. At one point even his eye rolled inside out : xx I find that little whine at the end of screaming very cute though... and there, he even get the piggyback! Aww!....

Wow sadist much XD I'm kidding.

That whine at the end was unexpected o_o(WTF Ed)

I thought Ed's scene was beautifully done and VERY detailed but a tad bit over dramatic :/ the screaming was a bit too much...but other than that it was a pretty good episode.

--------------------
RoyxEd<3

+Quote Post
Disasterpiece
post Jan 25 2010, 08:52 PM
Post #21

Alchemists

Member No.: 66,581

he had a freaking pipe through him lol

--------------------

EdwardxWinry

[credit goes to Aquarina :D]

+Quote Post
fmadiva
post Jan 25 2010, 09:09 PM
Post #22

Citizen

Member No.: 47,009

QUOTE (Disasterpiece @ Jan 25 2010, 08:52 PM) *
he had a freaking pipe through him lol

XD I know but Ed has been through worst stuff than that and didn't scream as much

OT: btw I love your signature wink.gif

--------------------
RoyxEd<3

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Jan 25 2010, 09:53 PM
Post #23

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

<Reminder>

Guys, please don't clutter the discussion thread with off-topic "chat," please. smile.gif
Hint: If the only thing you have for your post is the OT personal conversation, then please do NOT make that as a post here, and instead, please use PM. We have a PM system set up just for that kind of personal "member to member" conversations. Please make a good use of it. Thank you! smile.gif

---------------------------

<Program Note>

Removed the following post for off-topic chatting on the discussion thread. Please use PM instead. ^^

QUOTE (Disasterpiece @ Jan 26 2010, 12:34 AM) *
QUOTE (fmadiva @ Jan 25 2010, 09:09 PM) *
OT: btw I love your signature...

i know, i know biggrin.gif but don't tell me, tell the artist. She's very talented and.....

--------------------------

~ Sorry for the interruption. Now please go back to the discussions on the content of episode 41. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
QueenTiria
post Jan 26 2010, 01:29 AM
Post #24

Citizen

Member No.: 70,732

as everyone pointed out, amazing episode.

this is the first time i really FELT something that the manga couldn't properly convey: ed's agony and pain.

in the manga it was like: yeah, there's a pole stuck through me but hey, i'm gonna alchemise myself

while in the anime it was like: CRAP i'm impaled by a pole and is in lots of PAIN AND AGONY but somehow i'm gonna make it out of this with LOTS OF PAIN AND AGONY.

hey, you know the part where kimbly drops his backup philosophers stone onto his hand, slowmotion while talking at a normal speed? then if you up it to normal speed where the stone drops onto his palm and asplodes the building then wouldn't he sound like a chipmunk for talking so fast????? (if anyone gets what i mean????)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vicious74
post Jan 26 2010, 01:48 AM
Post #25

Citizen

Member No.: 71,248

The only way the manga doesn't convey Ed's pain is if you fail at reading manga. His expressions during that act were more than self-explanatory and the screams were there more than once too.

Anyways, that was one of the best episodes yet. They didn't go for the cliffhanger but it was better this way cause the episode ended with a very intense scene and a great moment for Ed.

Pretty much everything about the episode was top notch, the pacing, the animation, the music placement, etc. Not often we get a treat like this.

+Quote Post
Jealous Rogo
post Jan 26 2010, 01:59 AM
Post #26

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,019

Another great episode this week, I really think the series has hit it's stride now, although I am biased seeings as I think the manga just gets more epic with each passing chapter from this point on. What struck me about this episode was how it mae things more obvious to me than they were in the Manga. This was mostly my own stupidity and forgetfulness tbh but things like the fact Kimblee found footprints at first were a bit of a 'eh?' but I went and checked and indeed they were there originally. What was NOT there, is the the reason the Brigg's soldiers were delaying shooting Kimblee was because of Ed. Indeed this was the only thing I could fault; why? It doesn't even match the dialogue. Kimblee and Ed both indicate he's there to stall time so the snipers can get Kimblee, but the way Miles and the snipers react indicates his presence is doing the exact opposite. This wasn't there originally and seemed really, really odd to me.

I enjoyed watching Heinkel and Darius being showcased, if only because their my favourite of the Chimera introduced, much better that Jerso and Zampano (with Zampano being my least favourite of any character, he's just so... bland) What I like about these two isn't really going to clear until a few episodes down the line, but I do think their animal combinations are cooler for one. Even if it was INCREDIBLY convient that they were designed to fight in low visibility conditions. I also think they provided Ed with yet another oppurtunity to win by using his head, something we haven't really seen him do since he fought Scar I suppose, but most obviously since he fought Greed. I did wonder why they felt the need to set up the dynamite at the beginning of the episode with Winry's group. It's not like we'd have seen dynamite in a mine and think 'what's that doing there?! this is highly unrealistic, bring me the phone so I may complain to the studio'

What would've got complaints if it was aired on television in my country of reactionary nitwits (and I LIKE being in England) was the scene with Ed being impaled which I think was bloody fantastic (if not raising questions about what BONES thinks the consistency of blood is, I'm fairly sure it doesn't look like red cake mix) and a real testiment to the animators and Romi Paku, and really showed what can be done when everything goes right. The screams by Romi Paku did at points border on the over-the-top but they never quite got there and as a result, you raelly, really felt the pain Ed was going through. I dare anyone to try and not wince during that scene, it was fantastic.

Speaking of that scene, I'm in the camp that is not bothered by the loss of any 'cliffhanger' because this version of things worked alot better. Besides I'm also fairly confident in the assumption that if they'd ended on the cliffhanger, instead we'd have people whining about the episodes pacing being too stretched out in comparison to other episodes (this episode would've been only one chapter if it ended there, as it stands it's more like a chapter and a half) The ending was also pretty good, if it did take out a couple of things (namely Ed's complaints about Heinkel's mane) but changed something in a way that is so much better and has only been done for one very good reason.

If you can't guess what I mean I'm referring to; Heinkel picking up the Philosphers Stone instead of Darius as it was in the Manga, which makes it make more sense when Heinkel has it later to give to Al

So overall a good episode, next week looks to be a calmer and more sedate episode, with probably alot of exposition, which will balance out this week which was pretty much near constant action. Also it'll have Pride in a tux, which is all kinds of badass.

--------------------

Please check out my comic if you have the time

+Quote Post
QueenTiria
post Jan 26 2010, 02:38 AM
Post #27

Citizen

Member No.: 70,732

QUOTE (Vicious74 @ Jan 26 2010, 07:48 PM) *
The only way the manga doesn't convey Ed's pain is if you fail at reading manga. His expressions during that act were more than self-explanatory and the screams were there more than once too.

the anime can convey more feeling by romi paku's epic performance. no matter what the manga does it can't convey his screaming properly without sound, can it?

--------------------

+Quote Post
shiroe
post Jan 26 2010, 03:59 AM
Post #28

Citizen

Member No.: 71,291

QUOTE (fmadiva @ Jan 26 2010, 10:04 AM) *
I thought Ed's scene was beautifully done and VERY detailed but a tad bit over dramatic :/ the screaming was a bit too much...but other than that it was a pretty good episode.

He was just screaming on the inside, it's not like he was doing it out loud. Ed was experiencing hell there (yeah the title was very fitting!), having to remember the uneasy feeling he had when using the PS that one time and now having to use his own life energy...seems extremely painful to me even just thinking about it...I'd prefer it if Ed had screamed a little more! tongue.gif

QUOTE (Jealous Rogo @ Jan 26 2010, 03:59 PM) *
Another great episode this week, I really think the series has hit it's stride now, although I am biased seeings as I think the manga just gets more epic with each passing chapter from this point on. What struck me about this episode was how it mae things more obvious to me than they were in the Manga. This was mostly my own stupidity and forgetfulness tbh but things like the fact Kimblee found footprints at first were a bit of a 'eh?' but I went and checked and indeed they were there originally. What was NOT there, is the the reason the Brigg's soldiers were delaying shooting Kimblee was because of Ed. Indeed this was the only thing I could fault; why? It doesn't even match the dialogue. Kimblee and Ed both indicate he's there to stall time so the snipers can get Kimblee, but the way Miles and the snipers react indicates his presence is doing the exact opposite. This wasn't there originally and seemed really, really odd to me.

Yeah, that was bugging me too. That scene was very different from the manga. In the manga it looks like Ed was stalling Kimblee, in this episode, it seems like Ed really wanted to talk to him before the sniping (and he surprised the sniper too)...I guess the anime team wanted to stick with Ed's determination not to kill, eh? or did I read it wrong in the manga?

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Jan 26 2010, 01:36 PM
Post #29

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 55,758

That was a slightly underwhelming experience...

Don't get me wrong; it was a great episode, and yeah, I loved the scene where Ed got pierced by that iron bar. But... from everyones commentes in this thread, I was expecting to be somewhat blown away. Which I wasn't.
The scene after where the building collapses, when we see Ed lying lifeless on the floor, that was intense seriousness. And how it's followed up by Alphonse losing concioussness. I love that. The music used here really made it feel grave and dangerous, especially for Ed. (I do have a slight problem with this particular track though; first of all, it's been way overused. Second, the beginning of it feels kind of cheesy, you know the "da-na-na-na-NA-NAA!!" - part. Which is really a shame, since the rest of the piece is really great. It starts out sort of ominous and threatening, escalating into really dangerous "oh SH*T, this is bad!" - epicness.)

But, the agonized screams everyone were talking about, where were they? Romi Park's performance was great. You definitely felt Ed's pain there. But I was expecting something more. I first watched this scene without any sound (the speakers on my other computer are broken), and only seeing the animation on Ed's face gave me goosebumps. The expression on his face, and the shivers, and his eyes becoming unsteady with shock, THAT made it seem really scary and painful. And I had expected the screams to go with it to be a little more... cringing. Instead, he just sorta gasped a little before passing out. The screams that DID come later, were also a tad understated, I felt. Some people said it was almost a bit over the top. I didn't feel like that at all. I say: Give us more!! tongue.gif I don't think the music at the "pull-out" sequence was really right, either. But, I'm gonna have to rewatch this a couple of times before I make up my mind. This ramble here is all based on first impressions.

Finally, I wasn't bothered at all that they didn't make a cliffhagner out of this. I must've misunderstood some people earlier; I imagined that we would already have a quick look of Ed recovered or something (who knows why I thought that). But, as it was done, we still won't see Ed in another couple of Episodes. Like in the manga. Is good.

--------------------

Sig and ava by Forsaken Love :3

Bye bye, Edward Elric :(

+Quote Post
MsLinn
post Jan 26 2010, 02:00 PM
Post #30

Apprentice

Member No.: 72,213

This episode made me shudder of excitement! And lol when Ed's antenna "fionged"!
<3 Romi Paku <3 There was a weasing inhale (or whine) right when Ed clapped his hand to human transmute himself, that FELT. And the screams...I think they sounded very convincing and real!
I like how they started the ED.
So Al and Ed always faint at the same time?... No, that can't be right at all, sorry! Laboratory nr5, when Envy knocks Ed out, Al is fine, I think.

And ZOMG, Ed was NOT paired with Al in the eyecatcher! (this will make Kit-chan happy tongue.gif)

--------------------

Long live the love we shared. In our Fullmetal hearts.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th July 2016 - 01:24 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css