Joined: 21-January 08
From: The cold, icy north
Member No.: 55,758
Watched the episode with subs. It felt a little slow, but it was good. Penguintruth's comment about Scar felt very accurate though, I'm afraid. Both the new opening and ending are pretty great, and when you've heard them a couple of times they're sure to grow even more.
Insanely looking forward to the next episode!! I can't believe we're already here, it wasn't even that long ago since I read this part in the manga!
Sig and ava by Forsaken Love :3 Bye bye, Edward Elric :(
Joined: 17-September 05
Member No.: 23,115
< Let me post this REMINDER again ^^ >
Please note that this thread is for the discussion of the CONTENT of episode 39. And hence.....
* Please resist your temptation to fill up "Episode CONTENT Discussion" threads with posts on "Sub" discussions, such as "Where are the subs?" "I'm still waiting for the subs" "Are subs out there yet" "Could someone give me the a link to the sub for this episode?" etc. etc. Instead, please use: Where/how to watch FMA:B episodes thread for such "where are the subs?" kind of "sub" discussions.
* Also, adding your casual comments on the new OP/ED to your post here that already contains your discussion/comments on the content of episode 39 is fine, I think. But, if you'd like to go into more extensive discussions on OP vid, ED vid, OP music, ED music, or, if your post here is consisting solely of your comments on those and nothing about the content of episode 39, then please make your posts with those discussions on the following threads that are designated for such discussions, and NOT on this thread:
@Disasterpiece and others with "SUB" discussions such as..."Where are the subs?" "I'm still waiting for the subs" "Are subs out there yet" etc. etc. , I moved your posts to Where/how to watch FMA:B episodes thread. In the future, please carry "where are subs" type "sub discussions on Where/how to watch FMA:B episodes thread and not on episode content discussion threads.
On the related note, @Serb Alchemist - I removed the link from your post since there is no description of what this link is about. But, I assume this is some kind of link for this episode, and if so, thank you for sharing the info.... however, in that case, regrettably, we have to ask members not to post the link in public part of the forum, but communicate such info personally by PM, and hence I edited your post and left such note on your post. Sorry... Please feel free to re-edit your post for better wordings, as long as you do not post the link. ^^ And also, since this thread is for discussing of chapter 39 CONTENT, and we have a separate thread set up for the discussions of where & how to watch these episodes, I moved your post to Where/how to watch FMA:B epidoes thread, as that is the correct that for that discussion.
QUOTE (Anomia Grey @ Jan 11 2010, 02:03 PM)
.......I'm amused at how much they toss Hoho about in the ED (yay! happy hoho!) even though up to now he's had a rather limited participation in the story. It almost seems as if they're forcibly trying to emphasise how important he is to the plot, which I find a bit redundant but HEY personally there's never too much Hohopapa
Also interested in that crumbling gate - fancy special effect or carefully planted hint? Seeing the candour with which they plant major spoilers in the OP/EDs I'd love to think of it as plot-relevant...
I didn't really get whose hands were touching at the end of the ED. It looked like a child and an adult, so I guess that excludes any of the couples, and Al's hands have grown since he lost his body, any suggestions?
@Anomia Grey - I moved your post to FMA:Brotherhood ED vid discussion thread. I know your post also contains discussion on the new OP, but I can not divide your post into two parts and move each part onto the corresponding thread. Hence, if you would like, please repost the part about the new OP to FMA: Brotherhood OP vid discussion thread. Thank you!
Joined: 10-July 09
From: Lincoln, Uk
Member No.: 70,019
Just watched the ep and here are my thoughts;
- Okay there's not alot to say here because this week was more like that scene at the end of Monk where he says 'Here's what happened', only longer. Yeah Winry's moment with Scar was nice and stuff but yeah not exactly the most interesting thing to talk about.
- Oh THAT'S why you stuck that Yoki stuff in last week so his knowledge of mines would seem like THAT much of an arse-pull, well done.
- Jerso and Zampano have always been my least favourite of the Chimeras in the series, which is odd cause Darius and Heinkel are so friggin awesome in comparison. I think it's just cause they both come off as fairly dry and uniteresting characters (ESPECIALLY Zampano) and I'm guessing BONES agreed considering all that talk about their families that was thrown in. While I like the idea that Jerso is whipped, the fact that their insinuating Zampano is a drunkard really, really doesn't make me any fonder of the guy.
- More added talking with Heinkel and Darius actually voicing worries over their comrades location. From what I remember they showed no indication of even caring about their companions in the Manga.
- The scene with Al at the end really stood out, which kinda makes the ho-hum other stuff worth it. It's also great because we got to see a bit ofBarry again. Okay yes it was a flashback of a still image but screw it, any Barry is still Barry.
- Okay is this the first time Father has mentioned the need for five sacrifices? I really forget sometimes what's been mentioned and what hasn't over the course of the story, with some big reveals falling out of memory more than others (I remember when Pride's identity is revealed but I always get a bit confused when the fact that Lust, Envy, Greed, etc are Homunculs was revealed. (Greed arc I think))
- Next week looks and will be very cool and very interesting to watch, that is all
Joined: 17-September 05
Member No.: 23,115
Heh, I'm another one of the late watchers on our board. >.<
I mostly agree with Jealous Rogo's comments above on this episodes; Ditto on Yoki's scene last episode, and about these two chimeras. I have my share of some "missed" scenes from manga that I had been looking forward to watch on Brotherhood and sorry to learn that they were not included, but, for the scenes that are included in this episode, the dialogue (in Japanese) were almost "verbatim" to what's written in manga, and I enjoyed listening to these words coming to life. Except, these "extra" conversations between these two chimeras, and they kind of stuck out. xp And, the episode felt bit less emotional than I thought it would be. But, overall I enjoyed watching this episode, and yes, I too liked Ed's "head-hug of Winry" scene. ^^
QUOTE (Jealous Rogo @ Jan 14 2010, 08:20 PM)
- Okay is this the first time Father has mentioned the need for five sacrifices?
As far as I remember, that scene was the first time Father mentioned about "FIVE" human sacrifices....
QUOTE (rzerox21xx @ Jan 10 2010, 10:08 PM)
Am I the only one who notice and glad that Ed is going for the current manga variation of the redcoat and not back to his original from the beigging with the vest and silver collar(wore for the first 25 eps). The opening is showing that and I guess its showing a more matured and grown Ed. I'm glad we went redcoat original ep 1-23), black button shirted and pants (23-27), and black coat, white button shirt(ep 28-31) and winter redcoat(32-current).
@rzerox21xx - I didn't notice that till I read your post. Nice observation! ^^
Joined: 10-July 08
Member No.: 60,921
All right, time to get into a little bit more thorough thoughts on the episode:
You all know that I'm not a Winry fan. I even think they should have combined the two Winry/Scar confrontations into one part.
Still, for some reason, I really liked this episode. I don't know why, exactly. I smiled when Winry helped Scar, when Ed held his head against hers, when Yoki was acting like a star, the bits with the chimeras. Things that usually bothered me really worked for one reason or another. I can't describe it. Maybe I was just in a really good mood. I certainly felt better about the episode when I watched it subtitled than when I was watching the raw as it aired.
Now, okay, I don't like the chimeras that much. I don't like all this standing around talking, retreading some of the stuff we already know. They can do some of these things off-camera.
A pretty good episode, though.
Fullmetal Alchemist is over! Thank you, Hiromu Arakawa! ;_;
Joined: 15-September 09
From: Happily lost in dreams.
Member No.: 71,100
The thing I was most disappointed by in this episode...
Was the EdxWinry moment, with only showing their faces, I didn't feel the same emotional impact the manga panel left me with..
Sure, the added in Ed slightly nudging Winry and then smiling of Winry was cute.. but wasn't the original feel of the moment.. it was more or less a moment of silence and reconciliation between the two in the manga. In FMA:B it does not even really show that the two of them are all that close(in amount of distance.) with that close-up of their faces, it does not really distinguish the amount of what has happened as it could have.
In my opinion.. the animators could have still made that add-in, for the improvement it should have been after a pause of that original panel, from that angle, then to a close-up with the add-in of her smiling.