HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 37: The First Homunculus - Content Discussion Thread, Warning! May contain spoilers for the first 37 episodes!!
Vicious74
post Dec 21 2009, 07:52 AM
Post #31

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 71,248

QUOTE (Mr. Deathy @ Dec 20 2009, 07:23 PM) *
My main problem with the Pride scene is the ridiculous art when he says "I am the original homonculus, my name is Pride". The manga panel is fantastic:

http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/70/39/

This frame below however is an absolute mess! It's completely overdone. I can tell they wrapped the shadows around Selim to make it explicitly obvious he was the one controlling them but it looks stupid!

http://randomc.animeblogger.net:8000/image...0Large%2019.jpg

Exactly. Manga panel was fantastic, Brotherhood frame was plagued by poor art and of course having the shadows actually cover a part of Selim's body was a ridiculous idea.

And man I've rewatched the Ed/Kimblee while looking at the manga version at the same time, and I can already tell that a bunch of lines were skipped. In the manga that conversation was a perfect exposition of Kimblee's wicked character, but now in Brohood it just won't have the same impact. =/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Animeoldtimer
post Dec 21 2009, 08:38 AM
Post #32

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 8,503

-I liked how Buccaneer punched Ed in the face for having a pretty automail mechanic. I always liked that scene in the manga.

-I thought Winry's "Sailor Moon" moment was funny. At least that's what her excitement over Buc's automail made me think of.

-The sound effect for Prides tentacles was good, but I agree Riza looked to creepy for that scene.

-The looks Ed and Al give each other (especially Al) when talking to Winry was effective unlike some of the expressionless scenes.

Look forward to seeing the translation!

--------------------
"Funny how you can say something in your head and it sounds fine... "--The Doctor

+Quote Post
Mr. Deathy
post Dec 21 2009, 11:11 AM
Post #33

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,164

I haven't seen one anime only person anywhere yet say anything like "Holy ...., that's who Pride is???!" or be impressed at all.

I feel that's because the scene has no impact in this episode. It's not even really treated like it's important.

+Quote Post
BluePhoenix
post Dec 21 2009, 01:16 PM
Post #34

Citizen

Member No.: 69,640

What are people who only see the anime saying actually? I feel like everyone's opinions I read are from those who read the manga as well so they obviously knew.

--------------------
~*Always smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to...*~

+Quote Post
gummybear
post Dec 21 2009, 02:36 PM
Post #35

Citizen

Member No.: 55,735

I think those who have read the manga have high expectations for the anime. One thing we all need to remember though, is that they can't put everything in the anime that was in the manga. I think they have done a very good job and I can't wait to see how it all ends!! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Forsaken Love
post Dec 21 2009, 04:21 PM
Post #36

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 69,408

i really loved this episode! the 'periodic table moment' has been one of my most looked forward to scenes since before the anime even started XD and it didnt dissopoint it was really funny and oh so cute, i really liked the ep, loved pride, and errr well loved the ep! only critisim was the art was noticably off in some places but it didnt detract from my enjoyment, can not wait for next week

edit: oh i read people moaning about the pride scene before i watched it and i disagree i dont know what people are moaning about, yeh i gues its not as good as the manga but i thought it was fine and nice and creepy =3 and these little errors in art i dont know why they cause such a fuss, most of the time i dont even notice these things, allthough i do admit the art was a little strange at some points, but a line across prides face? whats wrong with that, surely BONES are allowed a little liberty, i thought it was a nice touch

--------------------

+Quote Post
hawkflame
post Dec 21 2009, 04:32 PM
Post #37

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,737

QUOTE (Mr. Deathy @ Dec 21 2009, 01:11 PM) *
I haven't seen one anime only person anywhere yet say anything like "Holy ...., that's who Pride is???!" or be impressed at all.

I feel that's because the scene has no impact in this episode. It's not even really treated like it's important.

I think that a big reason is that people usually wait for subs to watch an episode, and those have been particularly slow to come for this episode. On the My Anime List thread for this episode, about half the posts so far are about the lack of subs. Other FMA threads on other sites are saying the same. A lot of torrent or streaming sites won't even have the episode if there are no subs.

It also seems that this is, unfortunately, one of the worst kept spoiler secrets in the manga, or at least it seems to me. I've come across way too many of my fellow FMA manga fans who just can't hold their tongue.

+Quote Post
Disasterpiece
post Dec 21 2009, 04:44 PM
Post #38

Alchemists

Member No.: 66,581

are there subs out

--------------------

EdwardxWinry

[credit goes to Aquarina :D]

+Quote Post
SneakyRuler
post Dec 21 2009, 05:09 PM
Post #39

Alchemists

Member No.: 67,760

Quite an uneven episode. The art was... changing, there's no other word for it, but unusually, the script and pacing were just fine, so overall I liked the episode. Yes, I agree, Hawkeye looked differently every time we saw her, everybody's eyes were huge and/or odd-shaped (Hawkeye, Ed, Winry, Roy!)

Loved the opening scene with Kimblee's henchmen walking side by side. Nice seeing all four of them in a line, that's fanservice for me!
Everything about automail changing scene was great. Freaking-out Ed (even funnier than in manga!), stoical Kimblee sipping his coffee (I wonder whether or not he was required to pay for it!), Buccaneer mad at Ed for having a beautiful mechanic, Winry's enthusiasm about new technology...
Briggs people in tunnel scene was mostly good, I was a little insettled by the eyes opening in a wall instead in the shadow, as it seemed to me, but that's just detail.
Revealing Pride... well. Hawkeye looked strange 2/3rds of the time. And I couldn't take Pride seriously, with a shadow strip over his face. Shadows drawing back, however, were awesome.
Kimblee and Ed talk about orders from Central not bad, need subs here to have any opinion.
The last part was perfect (minus some character design drawing). Al's eye signal was a nice touch and by the end, Winry's resolution to be brave and just jump into it was well presented.

Oh, and looking forward to next episode. We've already had some not so great art so let's hope for spectacular to good art at least in the next three ones!

+Quote Post
IceSkadi
post Dec 22 2009, 01:09 AM
Post #40

Citizen

Member No.: 72,103

- The opening scene with the chimeras is fantastic along side the tunnel scene with the poor survived soldiers.

- The art wasn't so great. Winry and Hawkeye's eyes were off for almost the entire episode (however they managed to keep Riza's ones right at least when Pride scratches her cheek). Even Alphonse wasn't so good this time. I think that they're saving their budget for the last episodes tongue.gif

- Roy with all the flowers! They keep this scene so I doubt that they will remove the phone scene next week

- Pride revelation wasn't so bad imo, maybe just a bit rushed. The shadows on his body didn't bother me and the eyes on the walls were great. I only hope that they will do justice to Riza in the next episode. She has to play a big role at the end of the series.

-Finally I will see some of my favorite characters fighting in the next episode biggrin.gif

Overall it was a good episode, not one of my favorite though.

+Quote Post
Thalogens
post Dec 22 2009, 07:55 AM
Post #41

Alchemists

Member No.: 70,644

That wasn't so bad... after reading all the cmments, I was expecting something horrific. Meh, the art has always been a bit inconsistant, so nothing new here. Except I actually like it more than when brotherhood started.

Is it just me, or does Kimblee resemble a bug? I don't remember him having quite the same buggy-esque hair in the manga.

+Quote Post
Ropespinner
post Dec 22 2009, 08:53 AM
Post #42

Apprentice

Member No.: 46,466

QUOTE (DoxyWings @ Dec 22 2009, 04:55 PM) *
Is it just me, or does Kimblee resemble a bug? I don't remember him having quite the same buggy-esque hair in the manga.

Kimbley does have the same strands of hair in the manga, but they look less buggy for some reason.

The Pride reveal could have been better, but actually it didn't bug me nearly as mch as most of the animation in other scenes. WHAT was up with Winry's eyes? Maybe they had to look off due to averages - otherwise in this series, Winry has been well animated quite throughout, even when some of the other characters have had off-moden moments. I quess it had to happen sooner or later.

I don't get why the Pride reveal episode got the worst animation in a long time. If they had to have an episode with lower animation quality in the Briggs arc, it could have been some of the three earlier ones, because they're not as important/shocking/memorable as the Pride reveal. Or even better would be not having low quality animation episodes at all...

Despite my whining, I didn't really hate this episode. Maybe some of the animation will be fixed for the DVD release?

--------------------
I'm Sallykie on LJ and most other forums, Seita on ZOMGFTA Forums.

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Dec 22 2009, 02:53 PM
Post #43

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 55,758

I really liked the first part of the episode, even the OVERUSED MUSIC felt nicely fitted in there. The beginning with the chimeras walking along side eachother was pretty cool. The shiny sunlight-effect was neat biggrin.gif

Then something happened. The Pride reveal wasn't, at least for me, suspenseful at all. It just happened so fast that it didn't even get remotely thrilling before it was all over. And I agree that the shadows over Selim's face was a little weird. On the contrary to what people've been saying though, I didn't find Riza off or weirdly drawn. Thought she looked fine.

The Kimblee conversation lacked the creepines from the manga, some good lines, and general emotion as well. Ed didn't look as he was very shocked or bothered by it when Kimblee told him to carve the crest of blood at Briggs, and when he heard the explanation for what it meant. Unimpressed is the word, I believe. Lazy animators.

And then it just sorta ended. Meh. The preview looks good at least.

--------------------

Sig and ava by Forsaken Love :3

Bye bye, Edward Elric :(

+Quote Post
Radadinator
post Dec 22 2009, 08:11 PM
Post #44

Apprentice

Member No.: 67,706

I liked the Pride reveal scene.

And yes, it was spoiled for me a long time ago, and I've read that part in the manga a lot.

While watching the scene, somewhere around when the shadow arms started creeping in slowly I was getting a little worried that Brotherhood wouldn't mix it up. Recreating the same picture from the manga would be uncreative and boring. So I was pretty glad when Selim's eyes stayed the same and that shadow arm went across his face and the camera zoomed out on the eyes. Those were all neat little touches.

The thing that really bugged me is Ed's eyes. He looked a little more feminine than usual.

I wonder if Selim ever has a demented tea party with the Children of the Corn and that girl from Orphan.

+Quote Post
Mr. Deathy
post Dec 23 2009, 01:13 PM
Post #45

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,164

Watched the episode subbed now.

I have possibly an even bigger complaint than for the Pride scene. Ed's conversation with Kimblee was utterly destroyed. Every single frame in the conversation has bad animation and they speed through dialogue too quickly in a completely unnatural sounding way. There's several good lines gone too which spoiled how much this scene focused on background into Kimblee's personality and motives in the manga.

I really hate how they almost NEVER try and replicate manga panels either. I understand that this isn't the manga and that the artists want to create their own product, however some panels in the manga are just plain awesome and obviously would've worked far better than anything the anime team comes up with. There were so many good Kimblee panels in that scene in the manga and absolutely none of them had any anime equivalent.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th August 2016 - 10:05 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css