Reply to this topicStart new topic
Final Fantasy Xiii
KyuubiKitsune
post Dec 3 2009, 01:16 PM
Post #1

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 68,360

The thirteenth installment of the popular JRPG franchise.

Part of the "ten year project" Fabula nova crystallis, which is latin for "the new tale of the crystal".It consists of the three games
Final Fantasy XIII , Final Fantasy Versus XIII and Final Fantasy Agito XIII which take place in the same universe but are not connected otherwise.

The main game, Final Fantasy XIII, takes place in the world of Cocoon that floats in the atmosphere of the planet Pulse. Cocoon was created by the Fal'Cie, some kind of gods, as a paradise for the humans that lived in the dangerous Pulse 13 centuries ago.
The main characters of this game were chosen to be l'Cie, servants of the fal'Cie, much to their dismay, and now have to complete their Focus, tasks given to them by the fal'Cie. If they can't complete them in time or die, they will become soulless monsters called Cie Corpse. However if they do complete it they become crystals and will be granted eternal life, but to a human it is the same as dying since they won't be able to do anything anymore. Because the government of Cocoon found a fal'Cie of Pulse in an old ruin, they exiled every person in the surrounding city to Pulse.This was called the Purge and here the game begins.

The (playable) main characters are:

Lightning - A young woman who was part of the military but had to leave because her little sister Serah became a Pulse l'Cie and eventually she became one, too. She now fights against the fal'Cie, because she doesn't want to be a tool for them.
Her weapon is a gun that can transform into a sword.
Lightning

Snow Villiers - Serah's fiancé and leader of an resistance group called Nora. Lightning doesn't approve of his relationship with Serah because she thinks he is unreliable and thus doesn't like him. Snow also becomes a l'Cie and wants to save Serah.
His weapon is his coat, which powers his physical attacks.
Snow
Hope Estheim - Hope is a young boy who was part of the Purge and was saved by Nora. Because his mother died while fighting with them, he now hates Snow.
His weapon is a giant boomerang.
Hope

Sazh Katzroy - Sazh is a middle aged dark skinned man with an afro and has a baby chocobo living inside his hair. The chocobo was a gift to his six year old son Dajh. His son however was turned into a l'Cie by a Cocoon fal'Cie before the events of the game and the government now uses Dajh to find people associated with Pulse.
He wields two pistols which he can put together to form a rifle
Sazh

Oerba Dia Vanille - Vanille is a mysterious girl who was also saved from the Purge by Snow. She has a very cheerful personality, but she supposedly has an unknown "dark resolve". Her tribal clothing suggests she comes from Pulse
Her weapon is a rod with several hooks similar to a fishing rod
Vanille

Oerba Yun Fang - Fang has similiar clothing to Vanille and is a l'Cie working with the government of Cocoon. It is assumed that she is also from Pulse and she knows alot more about l'Cie than the rest of the party.
Her weapon is a double headed spear which can be seperated into a three section staff.
Fang

There are also summons in this game and they are called Eidolons this time. The Eidolons are related to the story and can only be summoned by a Crystal that is generated by a mark on the body of a l'Cie. Every Character has an unique Eidolon he or she has to beat before they can use them in battle. This time they have a "Gestalt mode". This means they can turn into another form for their summoners to ride or stand on. For example Lightnings Eidolon is Odin, who can turn into a horse for her to ride.
Here are some pictures of the Eidolons and their owners.

Lightning - Odin
Snow - Shiva
Hope - Alexander
Sazh - Brynhildr
Vanille - Hecatoncheir
Fang - Bahamut

Gameplay:

This time the battle is an active time turn based battle and you can only control one character per battle.
In battle a bar(ATB gauge) will appear an screen and will fill up. Each command costs a section of the ATB gauge. For example normal attacks cost one section of the bar and powerful spells 3 sections. Because every command costs ATB points there are no MP's this time and Health is restored after every battle.
Another bonus is the "Break" bar. If you attack very often without being interrupted you will increase the "Break" percentage and if it is high enough you will "Break" the enemy. This means the Enemy will not attack as long as it is in the Break state and your attacks will do more damage. Most enemies can be hurled in the air by attacks while in the Break state.

Battle roles and Paradigms:
Every Character can be assigned a role before battle. Each role will have different attributes for example the role "Ravager - RAV (Blaster - BLA in Japanese)" will have higher attack and the "Sentinel - SEN (Defender - DEF)" will have higher defense.
There are six different roles:
Commander - COM (Attacker - ATK)
Ravager - RAV (Blaster - BLA)
Sentinel - SEN (Defender -DEF)
Medic - MED (Healer - HLR)
Synergist - SYN (Enhancer - ENH)
Saboteur - SAB (Jammer - JAM)

The Player can also change the roles of the party while in battle. This is called Paradigm Shift (Optima Change in Japanese).
Each Paradigm has a name, for example the paradigm Smart Bomb will change to roles of the party to RAV/RAV/SAB
The Ravagers will attack the enemy and the Saboteur will weaken the enemy with Spells
Here is a picture:

You can see the characters Lightning and Vanille on Screen and their life bars on the right bottom side. Sazh is in the background. You can also see the ATB gauge in the middle and the sign for paradigm shift above it. Below it are the commands for your character, in this case Lightning. On top right of the picture is the Break bar. It shows the current damage percentage and how much is needed to Break the enemy.

In this game there will be no experience points, but "Crystarium" points. If a battle is won, every character will gain Crystarium points, which will be used to increase stats and learn skills in the Crystarium System. The Crystarium system will work similarly to the Sphere Grid in FF X. This means the Crystarium System is like a tech tree where you can chose specific skills, which will unlock more powerful skills of the same kind. For example if you learn Fire, the spell Fira will be unlocked and so forth. Every role will have different skills and spells.

If you want to watch trailers you can go to http://www.square-enix.co.jp/fabula/ff13/
Simply wait for the site to load and then click on TRAILERS

EDIT: oh right totally forgot about that
This game will come out in Japan on the 17.December 2009
And in NA and EU on the 9. March 2010,
added Crystarium system, Render of Hecatoncheir
______

Done

--------------------
FLY AWAY NOW, FLY AWAY NOW, FLY AWAAAYYY
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
beastPlushi
post Mar 7 2010, 11:32 PM
Post #2

Citizen

Member No.: 72,714

The day is upon us, on the East Coast of the US the game will be sold in less than 24 hours during Middle-Night Events at places like GameStop.

My roommate has reserved it on the 360, which disappointed me. We have both systems, they are both setup on the same HDTV, so why not get the game for the system is was designed for instead of it's compressed lil' sister.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ScarMySoul
post Mar 8 2010, 03:01 PM
Post #3

Gallery Mod Emeritus

Member No.: 36,754

I saw a preview for this game I want it so so bad... the only problem is, I'm not done with FF12 and I've had that game for almost three years now.... I should just say to hell with the hunts and just finish the final battle of the game, but I just can't make myself do it lol.... Eventually I guess...

Thanks for making a very detailed analysis of the game though! happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
A Pierrot's Aria
post Mar 10 2010, 09:28 AM
Post #4

Special Ops (Friendly Member Advisor)
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 68,926

I haven't really played much of the game myself, but I've watched my brother play. The graphics look quite amazing and the environments are so well designed and very beautiful to look at.

My main gripes are with the character designs of the females. They all look almost exactly the same, and the voice acting for the females especially is a pain to listen to; they lack enthusiasm and they have the typical squeakiness to them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Broken Chouchou
post Mar 10 2010, 11:49 AM
Post #5

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 55,758

I'd buy this. It's taken a very different direction from what most people associate with Final Fantasy, and many have been dissapointed by this. I think I'd enjoy it though, despite being very linear first half of the game. The battles are supposedly (according to a good review I just read) very entertaining and dynamic, and fast paced. You need good reflexes and a quick mind just as much as strategical planning.
So, basically, epic story + intense, epic fights are the biggest enjoyments in this game. It lacks towns and a proper world map, and the exploring is pretty much non-existant at first. But I don't think it'll bother me, the awesomeness of everything else is sure to keep me engrossed. Only played FFVII and XII anyway, so not a hardcore FF fan, with the traditions and all that comes with it. Heck, haven't even played that many JRPGs in to begin with.

I do wish the EU version would include Japanese audio though sad.gif

--------------------

Sig and ava by Forsaken Love :3

Bye bye, Edward Elric :(

+Quote Post
Kale Mustang
post Mar 10 2010, 11:54 AM
Post #6

Major General

Member No.: 67,527

Was playing a bit of this last night. Not too far it, but then again, I've already played this part of the game as a demo that came with FFVII: ACC.

Visuals are quite nice and music is still awesome, but it's still Final Fantasy so it's all good.

+Quote Post
Vagrant
post Mar 10 2010, 12:48 PM
Post #7

Apprentice

Member No.: 31,830

Apologies in advance for the rant and any offense to your sensibilities.

I make a point of not buying Square-Enix games, given their track record in the last ten years. (it hurts that FMA is linked to them in any way)
The hype for this game has been infuriating for the three or four years since that first trailer. Everyone knew nothing about the game, but acted like it was automatically going to be the best game ever, and wouldn't shut up about every little bit of news which was usually just that there was a bit more CG to gawk at.

Despite Nomura's godawful and overused character designs where everyone looks the same as everyone else...The game is obviously very pretty. And I'm sure the battle system gets quite fun.
But I don't want to have to sit through that godawful generic anime story with it's bad voice acting and worse dialogue. The extreme linearity and lack of towns is just ridiculous. Who wants to play an RPG consisting of "go forward, fight things, suffer a crappy cutscene" repeated for however many hours.
The game would be averaging 7/10s if it didn't have Final Fantasy in the title.

I mean, uh...OMG THE L'CIE AND THE FAL'CIE AND CHARACTERS WITH NAMES LIKE SNOW AND LIGHTING AND HOPE AND VANILLA who the hell translated this cra-I mean...SO COOL!!!

--------------------
I made a blog about things.
(Disclaimer: blog may also contain stuff)
Please take a look. I'd appreciate any comments.

+Quote Post
A Pierrot's Aria
post Mar 10 2010, 12:51 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

^I kinda agree with you there, Vagrant. Like I mentioned before, the voice acting it pretty terrible. And as for the hype, I was getting updates constantly from my brother and a friend at college. It was getting way too overwhelming just with those two.xD

And the names are ridiculous. Who in their right mind would call their poor son Snow? xD

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kale Mustang
post Mar 10 2010, 01:13 PM
Post #9

Major General

Personally, I already knew what was going on with this game - heck I got the Japanese BD version of FFVII: ACC just so that I could play the FFXIII demo. Didn't bother importing the game because I knew that the wait for the NA version wasn't too bad.

That said, it's just a game series that I've always found enjoyable and look forward to playing as each game brings something different to the table. The current battle system in FFXIII is much like the gambit system in FFXII, but I think it's better implemented here. Storyline and character names... *shrugs* it's the simplicity of the story and while the names can be odd at times, they're not exactly a dealbreaker. Also the lack of towns/item shops, I dealt with it in Crisis Core and never really cared.

As far as hype goes, just because other people are hyping it to high heaven and others are lambasting as the devil's spawn in game form, I play games and form my own decisions not to conform to everyone else's opinions.

VA and character designs, yes I know it can be cheesy at times but I can't hate a character just solely on their looks/voice because I'm not that superficial about it.

+Quote Post
A Pierrot's Aria
post Mar 10 2010, 01:22 PM
Post #10

Group Icon

I don't think the game is bad because of the hype or the look of the characters. The characters can have ridiculous looks/names and sound bad all they want, it won't affect the game play itself; they were just observations on my part. I mean, I never read reviews because I always like to make the decision for myself, be it a game or a TV show etc

I love the Final Fantasy franchise and I really like XIII. It's by no means a bad game, it's great.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vagrant
post Mar 10 2010, 01:28 PM
Post #11

Apprentice

My problem with the hype is that I got sick of seeing posts about totally pointless FFXIII related things ("They've announced they're going to announce the date they will show a semi-new trailer!") when I'm after gaming news on Kotaku or whatever.

Relating to the hype - it also annoys me that Square-Enix gets to make such profit just by using the Final Fantasy name, rather than making good games for the once proud franchise.

And Crisis Core is, like, exactly why I hate Square-Enix so much. >_<

--------------------

+Quote Post
IceSkadi
post Mar 10 2010, 01:32 PM
Post #12

Citizen

Member No.: 72,103

I'm planning to buy it 'cause I'm an old fan of the series and well, I've always enjoined SE games even if I'm well aware that they started to lose some points (just when they started the whole FF7 spinoff/prequels/sequels imo).

The only thing that worry me about this new episode, is the lack of towns to explore (I do really enjoy to go through big territories, plazas and so on, like in FFXII) and the strange Esper-machine/motorcycle thing. But I'm judging it just from few pics and some trailers, so I will wait to play it to give a precise opinion of it.

I'm also a bit annoyed by the fact that all the female and young boys characters are so similar to each other. I mean, of the 6 main characters I can actually tell apart only Fang, the afro guy and Snow (that is a Seifer-clone or at least a guy dressed exactly like Seifer in KH2).

About the names...well it's not like the other main characters of the series have normal names: Cloud, Squall, Lulu, Wakka, Tifa aren't really common names P:

+Quote Post
Vagrant
post Mar 10 2010, 01:44 PM
Post #13

Apprentice

I'm not saying we need RPG heroes called Bob Smith and Jane McNormalpersonname. XD
It just seems like they half-arsed the naming and called characters things they immediately heard or saw. There was a weather report on, some ice cream, etc.
I mean, Cloud actually had a 'cloudy' past so it had the mildest bit of meaning. He also didn't didn't have friends called Sky and Moon and Chocolatey.
And actually calling a character Hope? That's like if Squall was just called 'Brooding'.

This site has some great articles on FF and its decline, by the way. Can't wait to see what the writer says about XIII. (don't let the URL fool you, I promise it's not a fetish site)
http://www.socksmakepeoplesexy.net/index.php?a=patff

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kale Mustang
post Mar 10 2010, 01:52 PM
Post #14

Major General

QUOTE (Vagrant @ Mar 10 2010, 12:44 PM) *
I'm not saying we need RPG heroes called Bob Smith and Jane McNormalpersonname. XD
It just seems like they half-arsed the naming and called characters things they immediately heard or saw. There was a weather report on, some ice cream, etc.
I mean, Cloud actually had a 'cloudy' past so it had the mildest bit of meaning. He also didn't didn't have friends called Sky and Moon and Chocolatey.
And actually calling a character Hope? That's like if Squall was just called 'Brooding'.

Well, to be fair, Lightning does have an affinity for thunder magic while Snow uses ice magic. tongue.gif So at least this way I don't have to wonder about what their magic affinity is.

+Quote Post
IceSkadi
post Mar 10 2010, 02:04 PM
Post #15

Citizen

Member No.: 72,103

QUOTE (Vagrant @ Mar 10 2010, 09:44 PM) *
I mean, Cloud actually had a 'cloudy' past so it had the mildest bit of meaning.

Well maybe there is an actual reason why they named those characters in that way, just like Cloud was named so because he was "cloudy", as you said. We don't know too much about their backgrounds.

However I agree with you about the Vanilla one. Sounds so "Mary Sueish"...but again maybe it's just a superficial opinion.

Besides, probably I'm wrong, but isn't "Lightning" just a nickname?

He also didn't didn't have friends called Sky and Moon and Chocolatey.

Double lol on the Chocolatey one XD

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd July 2016 - 12:45 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css