HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V  « < 9 10 11  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Does Equivalent Exchang Apply In Real Life?, Spoilers Alert!! (especially, FMA Anime episode 49!!)
Scythoro
post Mar 15 2007, 10:22 PM
Post #151

Apprentice

Group: Members
From: 30° 37' 56" Lat. and -87° 2' 22" Long. at home or 30° 33' 3" Lat. and -87° 13' 13" at school
Member No.: 45,253

QUOTE(Kenji @ Mar 13 2007, 12:54 AM) [snapback]517147[/snapback]
It can't really be explained afterall in the end simply because... it is way too complicated...

In a nutshell... believe it if you believe it, ditch it if it sounds insane... ^.^

Life goes on~ ^.^

Almost words to live by, wink.gif .
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
miracle_flame_al...
post Mar 16 2007, 04:16 AM
Post #152

State Alchemist (Major)

From: Somewhere in Ametris, under the command of Col. Roy Mustang
Member No.: 36,403

Well there are times in life where Equivalent Exchange is present but not always though....

--------------------

-Dogs of the Military- PM me to join my family!!
Currently: Watching Code Geass!
Honorable Third Seat of the Anti-Inoue Squad !! ^_^
Check My DeviantArt Account/Profile and my drawings!! ^_^
My Multiply My LiveJournal

+Quote Post
xx-CelestiaL-xx
post Apr 18 2007, 12:49 AM
Post #153

Citizen

Member No.: 46,015

i believe that EE does exist but only in chemistry and maths where equivalence can actually be measured.. i also agree with everyone who's said that the value of our rewards are based on our expectations and that yes as humans our expectations are generally high..

it's kind of funny because some time last year [before i ever watched FMA ^^] i was in this public speaking comp. and chose to do my 5 minute speech on Self- Sacrificing... which relates to EE but without the equivalence.. and when i wrote/presented my speech i really believed in it.. but when i saw FMA my belief turned into EE simply because it was a FMA thing.. biggrin.gif hehe.. anyways heres my speech since it basically sums up what i want to say..

NOTE: i'm not expecting anyone to actually read the WHOLE thing but just get the jist of self sacrificing...

Throughout our lives, we make self-sacrifices. We give up our own personal interest or well being so that we can achieve our goals. As humans, we are naturally very social and depend on others for their help. Yet, others have their own agendas, goals and interests too. So in order to work together successfully, it is essential we learn that we must to let go of one thing to gain another. Doing what we don’t want to get what we want is a valuable motif in life. As Author, James Allen explains, “He who would accomplish little must sacrifice little; he who would attain highly must sacrifice greatly.”

Although it is necessary to make sacrifices, people have a choice to make sacrifices for just themselves or sacrifices for both themselves and others. Those who make sacrifice for both themselves and others can be characterized as generous, perhaps even altruistic. It is these people that help bear the weight of life for others in their time of need. Such as charities, philanthropists and volunteers.

It is through self-sacrifice for the larger good that one experiences true joy and fulfilment. Those who are declined to make sacrifices do not know true happiness. They fail to discover the joy of accomplishment and fail to establish the meaning of their own existence in the world. Many people try to avoid sacrifices if they can, because they look only at the short-term results rather than the long-term gains.

Sometimes, despite our best intentions, our self-sacrifices do not always give the results we want. However, it is from those experiences that we realize the nature of our mistakes and help us pursue a more valuable dream. Not making a self- sacrifice denies us of this experience and can have negative consequences.

Imagine a team of soccer players who are against fierce competition. In order for the team to win each player must give up the comfort of inactivity. However all the players merely working hard alone won’t win the team the game. They must work effectively together. If each player refuses to give up their comfort then the team will lose and everything the players would have done, would have been for naught. Not only did they lose, they did not even try. As you can see, this example demonstrates how the positive results of making self-sacrifices can far outweigh the future helpful consequences of self-sacrifices that had not been made.

However in reality it is their duty as soccer players to make these sacrifices.
In society there are many individuals who belong to particular groups which have certain duties that are expected of them. These duties are also known as sacrifices for instance. the working people who must support others, parents who must give up their time and money to raise their children and finally military service men who are required to make greatest sacrifice.

Military service men must be prepared to give up their life for their country. In Australia, military service is voluntary, Those who volunteer in the Australian Defence Forces are willing to give up their life, defending their country. Giving up ones life is the greatest sacrifice that anyone cane make and [pause] it cannot yield them personal benefit. Without these men fighting to defend, Australia wouldn’t be the country that it is today. That Australians can enjoy a certain quality of life is partly due to those sacrifices of those service people.

----------

So basically in order to grow [or gain] we must make sacrifices and that what we sacrifice may not benefit us, but benefit others... and the reward we gain when we sacrifice ourselves for others is the good..fuzzy..warm feeling you get of helping others.. ^^"

death IS an inevitable part of life.. like we can't control our OWN deaths.. i define giving [sacrificing] as something you personally want to do because you can't expect to be rewarded for something you didn't want to do... so generally.. most people who die, didn't want to and therefore do not gain anything however those who do [through suicide] gain the end to the lives they hated...

lol ok i'm done! tongue.gif sorry if this was long... =="

--------------------

" I'm willing to give up everything just to be with you... and to me, that is Equivalent Exchange "

[ ii love ed!! ^^, ]

+Quote Post
SharpShooterHawk...
post Jun 9 2007, 05:17 PM
Post #154

Citizen

Member No.: 46,004

goodness, that was long Celestial. you must have been very bored.
but I read it and I agree with most of what you're saying. so maybe equivilant exchange isn't all "I do this, I gain this." maybe it's "I do this, WE gain this." maybe it's about the entire human race instead of just ourselves. MAYBE the world DOESNT revolve around me. hm. novel concept, neh?

+Quote Post
Emily_BrokenAnge...
post Jun 17 2007, 09:55 PM
Post #155

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 32,325

I think yes, but only sometimes....
´cause you can give somehting and also you can receive something of equal value, but sometimes.... That "something" isn´t the thing that you were expecting, but anyway... you have it n_ñ

--------------------

Hey there!! Are you a fan of Armony or EdXArmony?! Join us at our club!!. Im the president or agent , Nekokitty is the vice-president and Herumastaa Kanaru is our secretary
If you want to join us, please PM one of us. Also, when you become a member, put "Im a member of the EdXArmony club" or something similar in your signature xD

+Quote Post
.:cookie:.
post Jun 17 2007, 10:41 PM
Post #156

Citizen

Member No.: 47,073

I think so...

There were lots of times in my life where Equivilent Exchange came into play...

But i agree with Emily_BrokenAngel... it happens sometimes

--------------------

^^ Hee hee

+Quote Post
suiryuu
post Jun 17 2007, 10:52 PM
Post #157

Citizen

Member No.: 47,186

I want to believe in the EE though I know that many things in this world are unfair; but still, I think that when you sacrifice something, you always gain something, even if you didn´t want what you gained or received unexpectedly. Remember Alphonse´s quote in the final episode: The world is imperfect and one law can´t explain everything, but if everyone put effort in everything they do, they will be rewarded or gain something in exchange (it isn´t the exact quote, but you all get the picture).

+Quote Post
Chibi_Girl29
post Jul 31 2007, 02:04 PM
Post #158

Apprentice

Member No.: 44,004

yeah... the equivalent exchange can work with some things but not with all...

--------------------

+Quote Post
EniviD EiraM
post Nov 20 2009, 07:50 PM
Post #159

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,525

I'm thinking if Alchemy is a real equivalent exchange....
I mean to gain something of equal value, something must be lost ...
so does this also mean that if you lose something, you will gain something of equal value ???

--------------------

+Quote Post
FullmetalAlchemi...
post Jul 19 2010, 09:39 PM
Post #160

Citizen

Member No.: 73,618

QUOTE (asunder @ Jul 21 2006, 07:56 PM) *
...and don't compare real life to some equivalent exchange bull from anime.

hey ....! equivalent exchange does matter! think about it, if you do something, you always get something in return, whether it is an increase in strength, either physical mental or emotional, money, or any type of payment, you always get something out of what you put in so, DO NOT CALL EQUIVALENT EXCHANGE BULL....!!!!!!

+Quote Post
xHearter
post Jul 20 2010, 12:12 PM
Post #161

Citizen

Member No.: 74,417

QUOTE (FullmetalAlchemistElric @ Jul 19 2010, 09:39 PM) *
QUOTE (asunder @ Jul 21 2006, 07:56 PM) *
...and don't compare real life to some equivalent exchange bull from anime.

hey ....! equivalent exchange does matter! think about it, if you do something, you always get something in return, whether it is an increase in strength, either physical mental or emotional, money, or any type of payment, you always get something out of what you put in so, DO NOT CALL EQUIVALENT EXCHANGE BULL....!!!!!!

if there was no equivalence or order to the world everything would be chaos! but sometimes it's scattered around and different, I sometimes think equivalent exchange as Karma.
and I'm not saying I base everything I think off of animes, it's just an interesting thought.
I mean the author of FMA thought of it, so therefor it can be considered a real thought that you can believe in, everything had to be thought up by someone, it doesn't matter what show its in.
I really hope equivalent exchange is real. It might not be, we might all be fate's doll set, but honetsly, I like believing its real, it makes the world seem so much brighter.
example: I hate being at home because I hate my family, that's a bad thing sense I cant move out yet, I'm only 12.
But, I have many friends that are really close and most people don't have such close friends.
this follows the laws of equivalence, if something bad happens to you, something good will happen in return, even if it's not what you expected

another example: There's this girl named abby in my school who is rich, pretty, mean, and has plenty of friends. though she treats people like dirt, nothing happens to her back.
But, making constant rivalries with people ends up making her more hated then she is liked, even though she's popular, causing rumors to spread about her.
If you take from someone else, you'll have to pay the price eventually.

there are many more reasons,even if it's not real, I love believing in equivalent exchange!

--------------------

FMA
If you have attempted alchemy by clapping your
hands, snapping, or drawing an array, copy and
paste this into your signature

xMinty = My sister!! <3<3<3 (sadly. jkjkjkjk! xDD)
she made my AH-mazing avi! ^^

Shinigami-Sama ish my bro!<333 (happily. jkjkjk! xDD)
OMG X-MAS COLORS!!

BYES! ^^

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 9 10 11
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2016 - 03:01 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css