HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Does Equivalent Exchang Apply In Real Life?, Spoilers Alert!! (especially, FMA Anime episode 49!!)
Claytonheim of L...
post Mar 6 2006, 05:58 PM
Post #1

Citizen

Group: Members
Member No.: 31,917

If you saw episode 49, you heard Dante's speech about equivalant exchange being a fairy tale. What she's basically saying is that life is not fair, and what you deserve is all you can take. So, is it? Do people always get their just desserts in the end, whether they're good or evil? She seems to use this philosophy to justify her actions, she has no fear of the consequences of killing and manipulating thousands of people. I haven't seen the whole series yet, so please don't spoil what her ultimate fate is, but what do you think applies in real life? Are ruthless people like Dante correct?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
primus diddy
post Mar 6 2006, 06:04 PM
Post #2

Citizen

Member No.: 30,530

I guess it depends on your views on whether or not there's an afterlife. A baby who's born and dies soon after would go to heaven, or be reincarnated to a 'higher' being...or a more privilaged person, or what have you.

If you don't believe in an afterlife, then I suppose you can't believe in equivilant exchange.

I'd ramble about religion being part of it, but I'm just going to leave it at the afterlife comment, because that'd be the main idea.

+Quote Post
Claytonheim of L...
post Mar 6 2006, 06:17 PM
Post #3

Citizen

Member No.: 31,917

But, say there is no afterlife, would someone like Dante who went through life taking whatever she wanted, not caring who she hurt, live a happy, contented life?

+Quote Post
The Great Aspara...
post Mar 6 2006, 08:03 PM
Post #4

Alchemists

Member No.: 23,454

scientifically, equivalent exchange totally counts, but all whooshily, then equivalent exchange doesn't really apply to everything. but it does to a lot of stuff. like, for example, if someone who's really strong can smash an apple really well, and this puny person comes up and they're like "whee!" and they try to smash the apple, you can say that in order for them to gain strength to smash the apple, they have to sacrifice their time and energy to obtaining such strength. howeeeverrr, if the almighty guy had genes of might and strength inherited, then... not really.

all this thinking makes my brain hurt.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Mar 6 2006, 08:38 PM
Post #5

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

I could make a crude joke about equivlent exchange and sex but there are young ones around so I won't.
Safe to say I don't think Equivlent exchange applies to everything.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
Molecular Alchem...
post Mar 7 2006, 03:03 AM
Post #6

Brigadier General

Member No.: 24,926

QUOTE(popogeejo @ Mar 6 2006, 08:23 PM) [snapback]359794[/snapback]

I could make a crude joke about equivlent exchange and sex but there are young ones around so I won't.
Safe to say I don't think Equivlent exchange applies to everything.

rolleyes.gif hehe

EE does apply in real life...to some extent. For example, you can't do science without balancing the equations, or else the reactions won't work...equivalency is required on both parts of the reaction (and i know from experince that it doesnt work when you get the stuff unbalanced) XD. However, in a more practical sense...it depends on the interpretation of EE--we all go to school to learn a trade, in hopes to become something great, right? In reality, very few people ever acheive the level of greatness that most people set out for. I mean, if you go to a class and you study for 8 hours a day, and your friend studies for 3 hours a day...and you both end up doing just as wel on the test, then where is the EE in that? One can argue that by studying, the knowledge that you gained is yours and yours alone, so you did yourself a benefit by studying...but, by EE, shouldn't the person who studied for 8 hours do better than the one that studied for 3? So in the end, i think that EE, in the sense that you can gain something if you put forth the effort, IS true in the real world. But, it may not be truly equivalent, because the world isn't equal...no two people are alike, so how can we expect a principle that requires equivalency at it's most basic level to work in an unequivalent world all of the time??? At least, that's how i see it...feel free to blow holes in the theory...I think i just gave myself a headache.... laugh.gif

--------------------

Proud Member of the Anti-Shou Movement
Honorable Vice-Captain of the Anti-Inoue Squad
BLEACH FANS UNITE!!!--new manga-based arc starts at epi 109!

+Quote Post
JoshP1389
post Mar 7 2006, 03:25 AM
Post #7

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 29,359

"Equivalent Exchange" =/= "Who said life is fair?"

--------------------

+Quote Post
Automne
post Mar 7 2006, 03:55 AM
Post #8

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 13,171

No.

--------------------

mspaint_lolz on livejournal

'Buffy and Angel had gone out before and Buffy wasn't really comfortable talking to Spike and Angel at the same time, because now Spike and Buffy had been going out for 6 months and Buffy was afraid that Angel might tell Spike that him and Buffy went out, but it turns out that Angel had told Spike that they went out, Spike was heartbroken that Buffy never told him that they went out, so Spike broke up with Buffy to get back at her for not telling him that Angel and Buffy went out.'

-NOT MINE

TEH BESTEST (AND MOST FRENCH) ROMANCE EVAR

+Quote Post
JoshP1389
post Mar 7 2006, 05:13 AM
Post #9

State Alchemist (Major)

Yes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Automne
post Mar 7 2006, 05:28 AM
Post #10

State Alchemist (Colonel)

Member No.: 13,171

It was not an answer to your post.

--------------------

mspaint_lolz on livejournal

'Buffy and Angel had gone out before and Buffy wasn't really comfortable talking to Spike and Angel at the same time, because now Spike and Buffy had been going out for 6 months and Buffy was afraid that Angel might tell Spike that him and Buffy went out, but it turns out that Angel had told Spike that they went out, Spike was heartbroken that Buffy never told him that they went out, so Spike broke up with Buffy to get back at her for not telling him that Angel and Buffy went out.'

-NOT MINE

TEH BESTEST (AND MOST FRENCH) ROMANCE EVAR

+Quote Post
Colette
post Mar 7 2006, 07:07 AM
Post #11

Brigadier General

Member No.: 27,366

No.

I just worked my ass off on my English essay and got a failing grade. Blargh at equivilance.

I haven't believed in equivilance in FMA since Izumi talked about her baby dying either. =/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Popogeejo
post Mar 7 2006, 10:01 AM
Post #12

Master Alchemist

Member No.: 31,420

A toned down version of something I said a while ago on the same subject;

When your house burns down and you loose everything,what do you gain but guilt?
Conversly when you win the lottery what did you sacrifice?A dollar,2 dolloars?$30?Certainly not the jackpot.You gained without giving.

--------------------

>Click the picture for me gushing over over Summer Wars shenanigans!<
The various works of FKMT are something you should read

+Quote Post
JoshP1389
post Mar 7 2006, 02:53 PM
Post #13

State Alchemist (Major)

QUOTE(SinLuxuria @ Mar 7 2006, 07:13 AM) [snapback]359854[/snapback]

It was not an answer to your post.

USE QUOTES PLZKTHXBUH-BYE

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tombow
post Mar 7 2006, 04:48 PM
Post #14

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

Maybe.. just maybe, if you look at the equivalancy in the whole universe kind of way.
I'm not saying definitely, but in some cases, like lottery, someone wins the jackpot amount of money, not based on how much he/she spent, but based on how much he/she and other people, "in aggregate", had spent for buying non-wining tickets, minus overhead costs and other stuff.
If you focus on one individual person, no it's not equivalancy at work at all, but if you look at the whole picture, some stuff does have sort of equivalancy, in a sense that someone/some thing gains at the expense of others.
(Yeah, goes back to "Life is not fair" I guess.) happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tyna
post Mar 7 2006, 05:09 PM
Post #15

Apprentice

Member No.: 28,129

There is no such thing as EQUIVALENT exchange. There is just "exchange". It's true. Humankind cannot gain anything without sacrificing, but the price doesn't always equal exactly and sometimes, it doesn't happen the way we want it to. Sometimes, the things we lost are the things that we want to hold dear and sometimes, the things we gain are the things that we do not want. It's life.

+Quote Post

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th June 2016 - 08:59 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css