HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Episode 32: The Fuhrer's Son - Content Discussion Thread, Warning! Possible spoilers for the first 32 episodes!
Tombow
post Nov 13 2009, 11:21 PM
Post #1

A sentient plant of some kind
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 23,115

Talk-back/content discussion for English dubbed episode on Adult Swim starts on page 2. smile.gif

Please post the discussions on the content of episode 32 here.
This thread is declared as a Spoiler zone for the content of the first 32 episodes.

* Episode Preview from FMA-2 official JP site:
(Thank you, Winry Chan for PMing me the following content, in Japanese, on the site. ^^)

Episode 32: "The Fuhrer's Son"
(The episode title is from official sub, the preview part is translation by Tombow)

Roy is secretly meeting with General Grumman at the Hughes' grave. Roy tells what he learned so far to Grumman and asks for Grumman's help. Meantime, Ed is still searching for May, but he has no idea on her whereabouts. Then, Alex visits Roy and tells the info that May and the company have headed North. As Ed becomes anxious to follow then to North, Alex hands Ed a letter of introduction penned by Alex himself, and instructs Ed to find a General called "Briggs' North Cliff" as soon as he arrives at the Briggs fort. Meantime, Al is also having an unexpected visitor.....

I'll be back later and fill out the rest of the first post. ^^

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
penguintruth
post Nov 17 2009, 12:29 PM
Post #2

State Alchemist (Major)

Group: Members
Member No.: 60,921

Thinking about it, the episode doesn't bother me as much now as it did when I first saw it.

Of course, I would rather Bones have spent the extra space they feel they have on two Ishbal episodes instead of one. It frustrates me to no end that they've paced the show like this, and used all this needless filler material. There's plenty of material in the manga. I suppose I'm being hypocritical, though, because I enjoyed most of the fillers in the first series.

Perhaps the filler isn't so bad on its own, though I dislike how it makes the Amestris soldiers look like complete incompetents when they have Scar right in front of them and nobody thinks to shoot him to disable him, or out of frustration. There's no damn way he wouldn't have been shot several times by now. Why do the soldiers always pause while he's deconstructing things? Are they not trained?

I did like the bits with Kimbley, though. More Kimbley cannot be a bad thing, ever. That guy exudes wickedness whenever he's on screen. You can tell how nervous the other soldiers are around him. It's great.

Did they really use the scene of Ishbal to describe what was going on in Lior? You know, the one with the window being broken (honestly, stock footage?)? I know they're similar situations, but this isn't the first series.

Love Grumman.

--------------------

Fullmetal Alchemist is over! Thank you, Hiromu Arakawa! ;_;

+Quote Post
Bag of Magic Foo...
post Nov 19 2009, 09:30 PM
Post #3

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,555

QUOTE (penguintruth @ Nov 17 2009, 01:29 PM) *
Of course, I would rather Bones have spent the extra space they feel they have on two Ishbal episodes instead of one. It frustrates me to no end that they've paced the show like this, and used all this needless filler material. There's plenty of material in the manga.

Now I think the reasoning might have been that their viewership would be more likely to tolerate more events happening in the present rather than multiple episodes full of flashbacks. tongue.gif

Did they really use the scene of Ishbal to describe what was going on in Lior? You know, the one with the window being broken (honestly, stock footage?)? I know they're similar situations, but this isn't the first series.

Hmm, maybe they meant to put some new piece of animation there, but ran out of time to finish it and used the "breaking a window, riot" scene as a placeholder for something we might see on a DVD release.

Or they were just lazy, and that stock footage has become a way to get the idea of anything from a riot to a civil war across without any extra work.

But then, I noticed how fluidly Ed moved in a couple of comedic scenes, so maybe that's where all the effort went.

+Quote Post
hawkflame
post Nov 20 2009, 10:13 AM
Post #4

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,737

I actually rather liked episode 32; not a lot went on, but you do get an opportunity to catch your breath before the next major arc starts up.

QUOTE (Bag of Magic Food @ Nov 19 2009, 11:30 PM) *
Of course, I would rather Bones have spent the extra space they feel they have on two Ishbal episodes instead of one. It frustrates me to no end that they've paced the show like this, and used all this needless filler material. There's plenty of material in the manga.

Now I think the reasoning might have been that their viewership would be more likely to tolerate more events happening in the present rather than multiple episodes full of flashbacks. tongue.gif

I agree in retrospect; one of the reasons why the arc worked for me in the manga was that I read it as one solid volume all at once and splitting it into two episodes may have overextended it for some viewers. The best way to handle it may have been as an hour long (or longer) special.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Tombow   Episode 32: The Fuhrer's Son - Content Discussion Thread   Nov 13 2009, 11:21 PM
- - penguintruth   My initial thoughts: - Fake Xaio Mei! - Grumm...   Nov 15 2009, 01:28 AM
- - Vlyse   Liked the Grumman eyecatch. Did not like the fill...   Nov 15 2009, 01:28 AM
- - Michiyo-   - We got some anime original scenes in this episod...   Nov 15 2009, 01:38 AM
- - fma_milan_freak   awesum episode...and i dont think one should drop ...   Nov 15 2009, 02:26 AM
- - Bag of Magic Food   Do you think maybe the studio suddenly decided the...   Nov 15 2009, 04:32 AM
|- - splinterend   QUOTE (Bag of Magic Food @ Nov 15 2009, 03...   Nov 15 2009, 11:44 AM
- - KEKU   Thank you for the explanation splinterend. That ...   Nov 15 2009, 12:20 PM
- - Vicious74   That was way too slow. Did we really need to see S...   Nov 15 2009, 12:40 PM
- - Irena   - Grumman in drag is great. (He's very good at...   Nov 15 2009, 01:19 PM
- - Broken Chouchou   @splinterend: Great first post! And your poin...   Nov 15 2009, 01:55 PM
- - EveningAlchemist   I still miss Ishbal at the moment but at least the...   Nov 15 2009, 02:32 PM
- - Imbris   The series is moving too fast, too slow, too fast,...   Nov 15 2009, 08:16 PM
- - zonkiethegreat   OMG!!! HOW DARE THEY TEASE US WITH OLI...   Nov 15 2009, 10:07 PM
- - Broken Chouchou   I thought this episode was awesum Enjoyed every b...   Nov 16 2009, 01:54 AM
- - Forsaken Love   A pretty good episode, I definatly perfer the slow...   Nov 16 2009, 10:26 AM
- - Trakonda   QUOTE (Forsaken Love @ Nov 16 2009, 08:26...   Nov 17 2009, 07:49 AM
- - Broken Chouchou   About incompetent soldiers/police. It was like thi...   Nov 17 2009, 01:01 PM
- - BirdieNumNum   -Ed's reaction to Armstrong was hilarious. -C...   Nov 17 2009, 04:46 PM
- - SneakyRuler   I won't say anything on the pacing thing. Sure...   Nov 17 2009, 08:48 PM
- - Ropespinner   The stock footage shot of a window breaking is fro...   Nov 20 2009, 03:43 AM
- - Michiyo-   Please add FMA:B English dubbed episode 32 (on CN ...   Feb 12 2011, 03:43 PM
- - deet-tastic   I always liked this ep. For the one fact of Mrs. B...   Feb 15 2011, 11:57 PM
- - Tombow   For those who missed this episode it's on agai...   Jun 22 2013, 08:31 PM
- - Tombow   For those who missed this episode it's on agai...   Oct 11 2014, 01:02 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th June 2016 - 03:26 PM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css