HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 31: The 520 Cens Promise - Content Discussion Thread, Warning! May contain spoilers for the first 31 episodes!!
A Pierrot's Aria
post Nov 8 2009, 08:59 AM
Post #16

Special Ops (Friendly Member Advisor)
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 68,926

You mean the one with Olivia/Olivier in it? I think they're just advertising to FMA merchandise or the manga- not sure. xD But I think the point is, is that Olivia/Olivier is in it. Ed, Al, Armstrong and Olivia are sat at a table or something in the ad. (I'm not sure which spelling is actually correct, but personally I prefer Olivia.)

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Thalogens
post Nov 8 2009, 09:07 AM
Post #17

Alchemists

Group: Members
Member No.: 70,644

Yep, that one. Thanks for clearing that up, and yeah - I prefer Olivia too, when it's spelled 'Olivier' I pronounce the 'errr'

+Quote Post
Mr. Deathy
post Nov 8 2009, 10:34 AM
Post #18

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,164

The episode was pretty good due to slow pacing but I'm surprised im the only person bothered by the omission of one great comedy scene.

http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/62/29/
http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/62/30/

That's one of my favourite comedy scenes in the entire manga, I love the "monster" Ed you see every so often in the manga.

+Quote Post
Irena
post Nov 8 2009, 12:13 PM
Post #19

Apprentice

Member No.: 69,592

- I thought Riza looked nice in this episode! Why can't they do that more often?
- The fountain looked pretty *^*
- Was that part with Falman and Fuery in the manga? I can't remember.
- Roy sure looks spiffy in his civilian clothes.
- LOL @ Roy's crazy driving xD
- Did the car suddenly get bigger as Ed and Al were getting out? Or does it just look big compared to Ed?
- I know a lot of people are upset that they left out the "Elizabeth was taken by another man" but it doesn't really bother me.

I liked this episode better than I thought I would, especially considering how this is kind of a lull in the series. Great animation, too.

+Quote Post
shiroe
post Nov 8 2009, 12:47 PM
Post #20

Citizen

Member No.: 71,291

QUOTE (Mr. Deathy @ Nov 9 2009, 12:34 AM) *
The episode was pretty good due to slow pacing but I'm surprised im the only person bothered by the omission of one great comedy scene.

http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/62/29/
http://www.onemanga.com/Full_Metal_Alchemist/62/30/

That's one of my favourite comedy scenes in the entire manga, I love the "monster" Ed you see every so often in the manga.

Personally, I'm not missing that scene. tongue.gif I love how very mean Ed is to May, but that scene seems a bit over the edge with the humor, and while it's ok in the manga version, I suspect many anime-only watchers are going to complain about "too much humor" in the anime.

About the episode, it's really good indeed. I'm not surprised at all that they kept the conclusion to Dr. Knox's subplot (Bones have never wasted a scene in their episodes, and so far they've given him enough scenes foreshadowing this reunion scene) and they did it well. I had kinda hoped they would include the flashback of him saying "why am I killing people when I'm a doctor" though, but now that scene is gone for good, so it's a shame.

Also, it's a good thing they included the remains of Kimblee's flashback here, but why cutting the last part with Envy? It's just a few seconds, and they even showed it in the OP, so it's just weird they left it out.

Other than that, I liked this episode. Next episode's title is a bit intriguing, but it has a scene I like (I like that kid tongue.gif), so looking forward to it!

+Quote Post
Vicious74
post Nov 8 2009, 01:57 PM
Post #21

Citizen

Member No.: 71,248

Really glad they included Knox's scene, didn't think they would, it's just too bad that they left out the "because we're family" line, which was what made the scene IMO.

And the song used for the 520 Cenz Promise wasn't very fitting.

Other than that, pretty good episode with a much better pacing than last week's.

Kimblee was awesome once again, and him and Envy together in a car being their evil psychotic selves is just pure win.

+Quote Post
FailToImpress
post Nov 8 2009, 04:11 PM
Post #22

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 62,174

QUOTE (Irena @ Nov 8 2009, 07:13 PM) *
- Did the car suddenly get bigger as Ed and Al were getting out? Or does it just look big compared to Ed?

YES, omg. There's definitely something going on there. tongue.gif I never usually notice these things but from the preview pictures I saw it, from the link given on the first page:

http://randomc.animeblogger.net/2009/11/08...brotherhood-31/

The picture where Ed is getting out the car. Ed looks as if he's kneeling down haha, I don't think he's THAT small. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
EveningAlchemist
post Nov 8 2009, 07:44 PM
Post #23

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,198

Despite the fact that there was no action, because this part is sort of a lull between main plots, this episode really impressed me! cool.gif The animation seemed very excellent, especially in the way that they drew Roy <3 And Havoc was pretty hot too...
At this point, it now seems all the characters have been developed and we are ready to go do something about all that has been discovered about Amestris and alchemy. It's feels so exciting!

That one scene with Dr. Knox, for some reason always makes me tear up. I really liked his character as he tried to appear tough and grumpy but he really does care alot... I liked the sweet music there too.

And yes, we get to see some more of Ishbal, but from different viewpoints! (from Kimblee this time) It appears that they will pepper the rest of the episodes with Ishbal. THANK THE GATE! give_heart2.gif

I suddenly now feel like watching this episode again... *zooms away*

--------------------

If you have attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an
array, copy and paste this in your signature.

+Quote Post
zonkiethegreat
post Nov 8 2009, 07:54 PM
Post #24

Alchemists

Member No.: 55,197

Umm...shouldn't Olivia be in the preview for the next ep?? Or am i wrong??

Oh and one thing! What exactly was Lan Fan referring to about "We will be back, inhabitants of "the devils den" ??????

I was a tad confused about that.

--------------------

Visit the Roy X Winry fansite : http://royxwinry.weebly.com

+Quote Post
Kyelinn
post Nov 8 2009, 08:40 PM
Post #25

Apprentice

Member No.: 67,611

Awesome episode! I honestly have no complaints about this one at all. The animation was done wonderfully, they didn't cut out the family scene with Dr. Knox! Yay! Though it's sad when he starts to cry, still. I loved it. I also loved Fuu and Ranfan of course! <3 Was it just me or was Ed very well drawn in this particular ep? He looked so pretty at times. <333

Also I think Ranfan was referring to the homunculi, zonkie. That's the only explanation I could really come up with.

Anyway, great episode! They're nearing my favorite arcs in the whole manga; the Briggs arcs. We'll be seeing Olivia soon enough! x3

--------------------

Siggy set made by me! ^_^

+Quote Post
kimonodragon88
post Nov 8 2009, 10:29 PM
Post #26

Citizen

Member No.: 65,767

I love this episode. smile.gif I look forward to watching these every week and very rarely am I disappointed with the outcome. The one thing I missed seeing was when Al said he wanted to eat an apple pie when he got his body back. In the manga, Ed makes fun of him, while here he just chuckled. Personally, I thought that scene was funny and missed it in the episode. Overall, I loved the whole thing. smile.gif The chess scene and seeing Madame Christmas were the highlights for me. Fort Briggs is coming up soon!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jealous Rogo
post Nov 9 2009, 02:19 AM
Post #27

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,019

Good episode this week, unlike last week it isn't slightly marred by the fact it's source material hasn't been chopped to pieces and scattered to the winds. I think it's probably a reflection on how well this material was handled in comparison to last week's that i found this episode to have some much more powerful moments emotionally. The scene with Knox, which never bothered me in the Manga, made me feel really bad for the guy and I think alot of that can be acredited to the voice actor, who really sold it without being over the top.

Same compliments are given to the actor who played Fuu, who really sold thatthe poor guy was not only furious with Ran Fan, but completely devestated by her lost arm. Speaking of which, I'm guessing the reason Ran Fan features so prominently in the ending is to actually remind us that she exists for the next few episodes, cause she and her grandfather are buggering off for a bit so we can spend more time getting introduced the biggest badass in the entire series. Good trade off.

I like that they actually assigned characters to Mustang's chess talk, as in the Manga it was only really clear who his Queen was. Ironically, Mustang has got to be the first 'King' character to not be completely useless, like in the actual chess game. I'm happy to see Madame Christmas and I think it's curious that considering she's his foster mother, the fact I heard the word 'onee-chan' used to describe Mustang by one of the girls seems doubley amusing, could they be foster children as well? I'm looking forward to seeing Mustang playing a more tactical game from now on, as opposed to the more active role he's had. Again, making way for the big badass.

I can't decided if the characters looked good this week, Scar definately looked off and seems to be getting bigger muscles each week, but that's not too bad I suppose, but Ed really caught my eye. Is it me or did he look younger this week? He definately looked different, and I can't decide if I liked it or not. Speaking of Ed, glad they kept the 'ignore the alien' scene, even if they did remove the rather amusing scene where he suggests mobilizing the entire military in order to locate one little girl. I highlight that because it made it more obvious that Ed isn't overly fond of May, but it's no biggie.

Envy and Kimblee's scene was awesome. Hell, all of Kimblee's scenes were awesome. Glad they stuck in the flashback about killing the superiors, but I think they kind of had to at this point. I also think it probably made people who havent read the Manga go 'oh my god' when they see he's got a philosphers stone, something the rest of us already know. I have always preferred this version of Kimblee, he's a much better representation of a psycopath. He's a murdering nutter, but's also very charming, something very rare to see (especially in Anime)

I really do wonder about May Chang, ya know. She just saw Scar grab and disfigure Marcoh brutally, but yet she's willing to go along with him? Ordinary little girl would be fleeing back in the opposite direction before you can say 'How old are you supposed to BE?!' Speaking of Scar, is i me or did he seem to be kinder here? In the Manga you could really tell Scar detested Marcoh. Reason I bring this up is I think it might have less impact later on when Scar congratulates him on finally standing up to Envy

Despite the title, next week's episode is probably just going to concern itself with getting the rest of the cast up to the North, we already know Scar's group and Falman are headed that way, so just need to get Ed and Al up here and closer towards the badass. Also I officially now LOVE the freaking next episode preview guy. Read between the lines and he just gave away a HUGE spoiler. Seriously, everything he said had double meaning, what an ace.

--------------------

Please check out my comic if you have the time

+Quote Post
Kasumisty
post Nov 9 2009, 10:13 AM
Post #28

State Alchemist (Lt. Colonel)

Member No.: 59,111

Weekly dose of lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssAbDQMvVeA

I can say I liked it. The animation was quite good (Althrough the characters looked kind of off sometimes). It had some of my favorite moments - e.g. Fuu scolding Ranfan or Dr. Knox praying to God (I love all that christianity references, I just love them). The 520 cenz promise was handled very well, we got to see that the coins! (which are very good, btw. I see they are based on japanese yens and have an army's emblem on them biggrin.gif And if they are based on yens, I guess Ed borrowed something around 8 dollars from Roy...). I wasn't bothered by the cuts that were made much. I will give it a 7 out of 10.

--------------------
Due to the cancellation of the end of FMA, Kasumisty must think of new signature.

It may take a while.

+Quote Post
Cece
post Nov 9 2009, 12:08 PM
Post #29

Apprentice

Member No.: 48,077

QUOTE (Jealous Rogo @ Nov 9 2009, 06:19 AM) *
I really do wonder about May Chang, ya know. She just saw Scar grab and disfigure Marcoh brutally, but yet she's willing to go along with him? Ordinary little girl would be fleeing back in the opposite direction before you can say 'How old are you supposed to BE?!'

Well May's led a hard life so I doubt she would be bothered by brutality or blood. If you remember a few episode back she was fighting some pretty nasty beasts. She knows retanjustu to heal people so she's probably used to blood. If you watch that scene again she's shocked and little scared but didn't run away like the little girl everyone thinks she is. This proves to me how brave she really is.

--------------------

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post Nov 9 2009, 04:05 PM
Post #30

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,921

Not a lot to say about this episode. Pretty straight-forward.

I like that they included the bit about Alphonse wanting to eat an apple pie (Winry's! Innuendo!) when he regains his body. I was disappointed that they didn't include Edward teasing him about it, though. Still, it's good to see the brothers thinking about the future, instead of just the past.

I liked seeing which pieces represented which members of Roy's team. Poor Fuery, relegated to pawn! It's too bad they cut down the scene with Roy in Madame Christmas' bar, but it's nothing that's too big a loss.

They actually got Riza's eyes right! The entire episode! My god, they finally really, entirely got Riza's eyes right! Not just in a few scenes, in every scene she's in! It only took you 31 episodes, Bones, congratulations.

I found myself not especially caring about Doctor Knox and his family. He was barely a character, and they managed to remove the scene of him talking to Marcoh in the previous episode, which probably would have helped to make the scene in this one. I don't dislike the character, but I felt the scene with his family was a case of Arakawa trying to wring a few tears from me, and they didn't come.

To me, the highlight of the episode was Kimbley, especially with Envy. I think the voice actors for both characters did a good job. They're creepy characters, those two.

--------------------

Fullmetal Alchemist is over! Thank you, Hiromu Arakawa! ;_;

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th June 2016 - 12:29 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css