HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
FMA:Brotherhood "Gaiden" OVAs (from FMA DVD/BD Sets Bonus), "Blind Alchemist" "His Battlefield Once More"
Radadinator
post Nov 6 2009, 07:44 PM
Post #1

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 67,706

~ Blind Alchemist OVA ~

Sorry if there's already a discussion for this or other OVA's. I checked and didn't see anything, but I might have missed something.

-Slight spoilers if you haven't seen/read it-

Anyways, I just saw this OVA subbed for the first time--never read it in the gaiden or anything before. And oh God, I felt so horrible when it was done. This was the first time in a while that FMA really scared me. Maybe it was because I thought that they were going to pull a screamer with Rosalie (I sort of reacted like Al). And Judo at the end...damn.

I'm sure there's going to be somebody telling me that the original that Arakawa did was much better, but I really liked this OVA anyways.

Also--anybody know if the 4 panel comic OVAs are available (preferably subbed) anywhere online? I'd really like to see them, too.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post Nov 6 2009, 08:04 PM
Post #2

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 60,921

I hadn't realized it was subbed again. I remember reading that Gaiden and enjoying it, I'll get to the OVA as soon as I can.

--------------------

Fullmetal Alchemist is over! Thank you, Hiromu Arakawa! ;_;

+Quote Post
Irena
post Nov 6 2009, 10:16 PM
Post #3

Apprentice

Member No.: 69,592

Here are the comic OVAs that I found - but I haven't seen any subbed versions yet ^^;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbkAqqnx9U8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtKvEi07Le0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWW17EvGqMw

+Quote Post
archronos
post Nov 7 2009, 11:15 AM
Post #4

Citizen

Member No.: 70,040

Huh, somehow I had never heard of the gaiden before, I only knew that they had made an OVA that was included with the Brotherhood DVD collection. Better go check it out.

+Quote Post
A Pierrot's Aria
post Nov 7 2009, 11:21 AM
Post #5

Special Ops (Friendly Member Advisor)
Group Icon

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 68,926

I don't know about anyone else, but I saw this particular story in the 'manga profile' book I got online. It was at the very back. : )

I downloaded a soft sub of the OVA someone on Live Journal kindly provided (I actually think there are some hardsubs now on Tokyo Toshokan.)

I like the OVA and it's actually pretty disturbing, actually. I wouldn't know how I'd feel if I had a dead girl's body (especially if it was my daughter) in one of the rooms upstairs. xD;;

And those strawberry sundae things that Ed was eating at the beginning looked absolutely delicious. xD

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alchemical
post Nov 7 2009, 12:13 PM
Post #6

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 44,852

The original comic version really got to me, but the OVA seemed to make it even more disturbing. I absolutely loved it, though.

Snooping!Edward made me laugh, haha.

+Quote Post
Forsaken Love
post Nov 7 2009, 01:23 PM
Post #7

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 69,408

I loved this OVA i really think that it did the original gaiden justice, it made it seem even more creepy and sad than the manga version

--------------------

+Quote Post
SneakyRuler
post Nov 7 2009, 01:44 PM
Post #8

Alchemists

Member No.: 67,760

Can't compare as I haven't read the manga version but I liked it a lot. A super cute kid which is alive and stays so ('Armor! Armor! Armor! Armor! Armor!), Ed and his cover techinque on stairway plus the sad ending.

This OVA pretty much sums up why I fell in love with Fullmetal Alchemist - it makes you feel sad, nostalgic, happy and you soon understand that not even little girls are safe in that world and anything bad or good can happen.

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post Nov 7 2009, 04:36 PM
Post #9

State Alchemist (Major)

I watched it last night, and it's pretty decent, but nothing special. I liked the Gaiden when I read it, but it's not something you must see.

What distracted me was some of the awful animation. You would think with it being such a short feature they could have put some effort into the production values. But, nope. No new BGM pieces, either. Pretty disappointing, production-wise.

A neat little special feature, but nothing to rave about. I want a Tales of the Master feature.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Forsaken Love
post Nov 7 2009, 05:04 PM
Post #10

State Alchemist (Major)

you're so negative, in fact moaning about the animation of brotherhood in general annoys me, yeh its not perfect and there are inconsitancys, particually regarding hair length, but for the most part its very good, and neally all the inconsitancies and errors people moan about I never even notice untill people point em out, its not perfect but we can enjoy what we have instead of picking it to pieces all the time, I didnt see anything so dire about the animation of the OVA and really enjoyed it, and I think it was great they animated it at all, they didnt have to, i mean can you provide an instance of this awful animation?

--------------------

+Quote Post
penguintruth
post Nov 7 2009, 05:11 PM
Post #11

State Alchemist (Major)

It should be pretty obvious where the bad animation is. In the beginning, there's barely any animation at all. Ed and Al are sitting there and they're the only things moving in the slightest, where all the other people are completely static, and even Ed and Al's movements are jerky and awkward.

Whenever they zoom out, people lose their facial features and most of the background art seems lazy and not even up to the standards of the series.

I don't like to make a big deal out of those sorts of things usually, but it's so damn blatent here, it's laughable.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Radadinator
post Nov 7 2009, 08:03 PM
Post #12

Apprentice

Member No.: 67,706

Ever tried animating something?
24 frames, each one drawn by somebody, per second.
Times that by 60, then by 16.
Plus the color tracing for Ed's hair. And Al. Just...Al.

Okay, maybe they don't use a full 24 frames per second on an anime, but my point is, no matter how much new technology Bones might have, animation is still incredibly time consuming. This OVA was on the quieter side, with lots of dialogue, so it didn't need the animation Mustang vs. Lust had. Besides, some of the shots (like the pond) were pretty.

And the OVA doesn't have to have new BGM, if they use ones that work. But I guess if you want some, the credit song they used was created specifically for the OVA. Only they started using it as regular BGM music in the show.

+Quote Post
Forsaken Love
post Nov 8 2009, 07:27 AM
Post #13

State Alchemist (Major)

well tbh i really didnt notice anything awful about the animation, and i rarely do to be honest, i thought it was good and liked it

--------------------

+Quote Post
shiroe
post Nov 8 2009, 01:08 PM
Post #14

Citizen

Member No.: 71,291

Maybe there's something wrong with my eyes because I thought the animation in this OVA was great. tongue.gif

Yeah, I loved this OVA! I didn't find it as creepy as when I read the manga, but it's just b/c I've already known what to expect. The story is not something extremely brilliant but they did a great job adapting this gaiden chapter of the manga. The part with sneaky Ed was a great add, so amusing! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
mandymtt
post Nov 8 2009, 05:54 PM
Post #15

Citizen

Member No.: 49,384

just watched it... CRREEEEEEEEEEEEEPPYYYYYY.....

Alchemy makes you do wtf crazy things doesn't it.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2016 - 03:51 AM

Copyright 2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css