HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
HAGANE NO RENKINJUTSUSHI
full metal alchemist
full metal alchemist

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Episode 28: Father - Content Discussion Thread, Warning! May contain spoilers for the first 28 episodes!!
Mr. Deathy
post Oct 18 2009, 09:20 AM
Post #16

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 70,164

This episode ruined some of the scenes I was most looking forward to seeing animated in the whole series.

Ling's transformation was not dramatic or shocking in any way because it was rushed through like it was a minor event, instead of one of the biggest twists in the whole story. It had the potential to be epic, gut wrenching stuff but instead it felt like no big deal. Very disappointed!

Also sad they left out some great comedy like the "If you want to shoot the leader just shoot him!" line.

I wonder if any anime only viewers will even get Mei's reaction to seeing Ed by the way. They only actually made one damn reference to her fantasies before this scene!

It's funny how they sneakily put the part where Father removes Gluttony's stone to rebuild him after the credits but before the preview. Clearly trying to cram even more than the 2+ chapters they had by squeezing another scene in there.

The only positive things I can really say about this ep is that the animation was good and at least they'll have more chance of covering a decent amount of Ishval stuff in episode 30 now that they paced this episode quicker. Even the music choice in this ep I felt was abysmal when they have tons of great tracks they could've used for the key scenes...but didn't.

EDIT: Actually I'm also glad they went with Greed's voice for Greedling. I expected this and I think it's heavily implied he's meant to have Greed's voice in the manga, with Bido recognising his voice and the fact that some scenes would be weird if Ling's VA was voicing the new Greed too, such as internal struggle scenes.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rzerox21xx
post Oct 18 2009, 10:40 AM
Post #17

Alchemists

Member No.: 69,867

The prince of dawn game had greedling with greed voice actor so of course they were going to use that voice. Glad that Ed is getting another change of clothes rather than stick with one set for a while like the first 23 episodes. I thought they would keep him wear the black one snice it was feature in the opening or a clean set of the black one snice considering he been dipped in blood for quite a while.

+Quote Post
Irena
post Oct 18 2009, 12:54 PM
Post #18

Apprentice

Member No.: 69,592

Not the best episode, but still better than last week. Ling's transformation was toned down a little too much, but I did like the part where he was talking to Greed. I always imagined everything to be white/yellow, but when I watched it I was like "ohyeah. Red. Philosopher's Stone. Makes Sense." xD

+Quote Post
shiroe
post Oct 18 2009, 02:40 PM
Post #19

Citizen

Member No.: 71,291

Just a side note: I find it interesting that Ling's eyes change their colour after he turns into Greed, now they're the same colour as old Greed's eyes. It was hard to tell in the manga. I think it's kind of cool but a little bit strange, seeing as Wrath kept his eyes' colour after the transformation.

+Quote Post
Ropespinner
post Oct 18 2009, 03:53 PM
Post #20

Apprentice

Member No.: 46,466

QUOTE (shiroe @ Oct 19 2009, 12:40 AM) *
Just a side note: I find it interesting that Ling's eyes change their colour after he turns into Greed, now they're the same colour as old Greed's eyes. It was hard to tell in the manga. I think it's kind of cool but a little bit strange, seeing as Wrath kept his eyes' colour after the transformation.

It was like this in the manga as well (except that in the manga, Greed has red eyes, not purple). It's visible in, for example, the color page of chapter 98. Maybe it's because Greedling isn't Greed's first incarnation, and some of the old Greed's physical traits carried over? I think he also got sharp teeth when he was homunculified.

About the episode itself, I think it could have been better. Many scenes just didn't have the same emotional emphasis they did in the manga. Also, there are many scenes I just imagined a bit differently, and now they feel sort of "wrong" in the anime. And the music when Ling was "greedified" was way too un-epic.

On the other hand, Father's total lack of understanding of social rules and personal space was still funny as it was in the manga.

--------------------
I'm Sallykie on LJ and most other forums, Seita on ZOMGFTA Forums.

+Quote Post
shiroe
post Oct 18 2009, 04:38 PM
Post #21

Citizen

QUOTE (Ropespinner @ Oct 19 2009, 05:53 AM) *
It was like this in the manga as well (except that in the manga, Greed has red eyes, not purple). It's visible in, for example, the color page of chapter 98. Maybe it's because Greedling isn't Greed's first incarnation, and some of the old Greed's physical traits carried over? I think he also got sharp teeth when he was homunculified.

Oh, thanks. So the homunculi have red eyes in the manga, instead of purple like in the anime? I never noticed!

As for the episode, I don't think it was rushed. I had pretty much expected this pacing based on the summaries before. Although it covered more than 2 chapters, and they kept in most of the material, these are action-packed chapters, so it played out rather nicely.

I admit it lacked emotional impact though. Probably the direction, and the bad music placement (again!) are the reasons.

Despite that, it was a very good episode overall, not close to ep 26 level, or even ep 24 level, but can be on par with 22 and 23, to me at least.

+Quote Post
Bag of Magic Foo...
post Oct 18 2009, 07:17 PM
Post #22

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,555

QUOTE (Mr. Deathy @ Oct 18 2009, 11:20 AM) *
I wonder if any anime only viewers will even get Mei's reaction to seeing Ed by the way. They only actually made one damn reference to her fantasies before this scene!

I remembered May's fantasies all right. What surprised me was how she had that reaction when she had only just glimpsed Edward, crushed underfoot, on the other side of the room. That's some good eyesight.

+Quote Post
zonkiethegreat
post Oct 18 2009, 08:03 PM
Post #23

Alchemists

Member No.: 55,197

I disagree with most of the comments here. This was a GOOD episode. I understand it was not quite as EPIC as it could have been, especially with the introduction of GREEDLING!!! YEAH!!! I love him!!!

I don't find the voice change for Greed weird at all, I thought it was great. Overall I was pleased with this ep.

So how many chapters are they cramming in the next episode?? It looks like from the preview, that ed will be visiting Riza's apartment???

--------------------

Visit the Roy X Winry fansite : http://royxwinry.weebly.com

+Quote Post
Jen_Elric
post Oct 18 2009, 08:25 PM
Post #24

State Alchemist (Major)

Member No.: 9,551

good episode. Not as good as 25 or 26, but I thought it was well done.
I agree that when Ling turned into Greed, it was anticlimatic. And I was prepared to hear Greed's voice, so I was a little strange at first but I got used to it.
Poor Gluttony! First, Ed, Ling, and Envy just rip out of him, but then he ran out of his regeneration ability. Just felt a litttle bad for him even though i know we'll see him again.
The episode did seem to be rushed, but it was nice to see that they kept the nice animation for envy's true form.
LOL at Mei's reaction to seeing Ed was not the guy she thought him to be! And her and Al's scene was cute!
OMG, it really looked like Father was eeling up Ed!! I just about cracked up!

Can't wait for the next episode!

--------------------

Phyco-girl made my siggy! She's so cool! ^_^
My Family! (Wanna join the Elric family? Please PM me and I'll add you to the family list!)
Little Sisters: ~.:Anime Gal:.~, ~FMAgurl~, Kit, Azura Elric, chocolate_eds_everywhere, Kakashi's#1 girlfriend, FullMetalAlchemist01FAN, Kal Rommel
Brothers:«°~Envy™~°», Mustang's apprentice, niagra flame, Jamal Mana alchemist, bloodlust alchemist

+Quote Post
EveningAlchemist
post Oct 18 2009, 08:27 PM
Post #25

Apprentice

Member No.: 71,198

This episode was actually one of my favourites! The pacing doesn't seem bad to me, because when I read the manga, it also seemed very fast. (I had to read it a couple times to get it.) I really liked the way Ling transformed into Greed, all the bits, really. Is it just me or does Lin sound totally sexy with Greed voice? laugh.gif When the power of the philosopher's stone suddenly made the scene become dominated with red, it really struck me. (Like when Lin met Greed, or Father turned off the alchemy!) I was wowed by Lin's voice actor, especially when he was telling greed he wanted power. He actually sounded full of greed! Mei-Chang was very ultimate comedy relief! (I still think Ed's sexy even if she doesn't...)
Whereas ep. 26 had the best ending, I think this had the best opening, with everybody spilling out of Gluttony. He really sounded in pain... O_o

The opening and ending I'm starting to like too. (All it takes is a little time.)

--------------------

If you have attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or by drawing an
array, copy and paste this in your signature.

+Quote Post
shiroe
post Oct 18 2009, 10:57 PM
Post #26

Citizen

QUOTE (EveningAlchemist @ Oct 19 2009, 10:27 AM) *
This episode was actually one of my favourites! The pacing doesn't seem bad to me, because when I read the manga, it also seemed very fast. (I had to read it a couple times to get it.) I really liked the way Ling transformed into Greed, all the bits, really. Is it just me or does Lin sound totally sexy with Greed voice? laugh.gif When the power of the philosopher's stone suddenly made the scene become dominated with red, it really struck me. (Like when Lin met Greed, or Father turned off the alchemy!) I was wowed by Lin's voice actor, especially when he was telling greed he wanted power. He actually sounded full of greed! Mei-Chang was very ultimate comedy relief! (I still think Ed's sexy even if she doesn't...)
Whereas ep. 26 had the best ending, I think this had the best opening, with everybody spilling out of Gluttony. He really sounded in pain... O_o

The opening and ending I'm starting to like too. (All it takes is a little time.)

Yeah, I also like how Greed's voice comes out of Ling, it's not weird at all, it's awesome!

And Mei was in no place to call Ed a bean, haha! lol they actually suit each other perfectly! biggrin.gif (as if...) (she's perfect to be Ed's sister-in-law though tongue.gif

So how many chapters are they cramming in the next episode??

2 chapters based on the summaries. And yeah, Ed will visit Hawkeye at the end of next ep!

+Quote Post
QueenTiria
post Oct 18 2009, 11:30 PM
Post #27

Citizen

Member No.: 70,732

Ed's visiting Hawkeye next week? I can't WAAIIIT!! Because that means one of the three EdxWin manga moments is approaching!! *fangirls*

This ep was...better than the last one. Which is actually criticism, but lol^^
I liked Mei Chang's expressions, but that was about it. The good thing is that it went so damn fast it was over before I knew it^^

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kaleidoscope
post Oct 19 2009, 07:20 AM
Post #28

Citizen

Member No.: 71,379

I actually loved this episode. I agree that Ling's transformation could have had some better music, but I was still impressed. I also found the part when Ed and Greedling fought at the end incredibly emotional. They had just become close friends, and suddenly all that's taken away. Also, Scar's alchemy looked great and, of course, I loved the Al and Mei interaction.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mersaydee
post Oct 19 2009, 10:20 AM
Post #29

Citizen

Member No.: 69,278

QUOTE (shiroe @ Oct 18 2009, 04:38 PM) *
QUOTE (Ropespinner @ Oct 19 2009, 05:53 AM) *

Oh, thanks. So the homunculi have red eyes in the manga, instead of purple like in the anime? I never noticed!

They actually have purple eyes in the manga, as well - though sometimes the colorist makes the purple more of a reddish tone, which is why they sometimes look red. But they're purple in both versions. happy.gif

--------------------

Mmm, I love that sound. Is there anything that strikes a more beautiful note than the sound of two indomitable wills colliding with each other?

+Quote Post
Jealous Rogo
post Oct 19 2009, 12:26 PM
Post #30

Apprentice

Member No.: 70,019

Seems a few people are quite dissapointed with how events turned out this week, and to be honest I'm not entirely sure why but whatever, each opinion is valid and all that. Speaking of which here is mine (ah see what I did there!):

- Did anyone find this version of Envy and co bursting from Gluttony's stomach ALOT more creepy and disturbing. It just seemed more drawn out and painful than in the Manga, plus the agonised screams by his voice actor did alot to help with that.

- Okay I'll agree that the impact of Al's reaction to seeing Ed again was sort of lost by them not making the comparison to Ed losing Al all that time ago they made in the Manga. Kinda sad to see that gone, but whatever.

- Father is so goofy, I think it makes the impact of him saying to kill Ling even greater. You gotta remember that aside from obviously being the main villain, Father had always been portrayed as a fatherly figure to the Homunculus, so we'd never seen his callous attitude until then. Dipping his offspring into vats of oil not withstanding.

- Hmmm more dropped lines, I can start to see why people are complaing. Then again the 'aim for the horse' line isn't VITAL to the plot. I noticed them removing Al's line about Ed's maturity (attacking Father instead of Envy who'd just called him short)

- Okay wanna take time to make a mini-rant about fansubbers. The first one I saw was bad, but the second one wasn't entirely better. At the point where Father says he's going to make Ling into a Homunculus, NEITHER of them subbed it in a way that I could understand what the HELL he was saying. It's not even like they don't have an official translation to go by, I have Volume 14 on my desk right now and I can tell you he chose Ling because of his endurance, skill and guts, but if I didn't have it in front of me, going by the subs, I'd have no bloody clue. I'm highlighting this because normally unsaid second subs are usually very good at this sort of thing and it took me aback. Then again maybe what he said in the Viz translation is not EXACTLY what he said originally but at least I could understand WHY he did it. Rant over, back on topic, sorry for deviating.

- Someone mentioned they couldn't understand why he would bring back Greed when he was rebelious. Well for starters he'd cleansed Greed's soul of his memories and past, so I guess he assumed it wouldn't be a problem, plus after Lust's death he could do with anaother good pawn. Also as revealed in the later chapters, Father created the Homunculus partly to rid himself of emotions, so he was probably desperate to get rid of Greed from his body

- Am I the only one who thought the scene of Ling turning into Greed was pretty well done? Same as with Envy bursting out of Gluttony, I found this version far more disturbing. There's points when Ling's bones and limbs are clearly bending in ways they just shouldn't. I also liked the scene with Greed talking to Ling, as it shows just how similar the character's are in some senses. Also why didn't I ever realise that scene would be mostly red, I'm an idiot.

- Greed's voice coming from Ling, yeah should've realised that was how they would do it. Specially as I think doesn't Bido recognise Greed by his voice in a later chapter?

- *sigh* I KNEW that's what the eyecatches would be the minute the episode preview began. Least they didn't do a turn-around transition from Ling to Greed in the opening like I was expecting.

- Greed's reaction to Shao Mei and May Cang's reunion cracks me up every time.

- Hmmm you know it's only just dawned on me that the style of May's fantasies is alot like Ouren Host Club, which hardly surprising as BONES animation it but still does anyone else think Ed's looking a bit Tamaki in those fantasies?

- Okay I'm confused, why is Envy holding his arm up like he's hurt it... I'm not saying I don't like it, it just struck me as... odd.

- I like that they made a bigger deal of May's reaction to Scar going vengence hungry, as this is the first time she's seen him like that. She would have that reaction.

- Love the long shot of Envy VS Scar and Gluttony VS May Chang, so much happening it just looks awesome.

- Greed running with his hands in his pockets is so funny.

- Gluttony's dying, bless his cannibalistic cotton socks (there's a film I'd go see)

- Okay... this confused me. I thought the whole point of when Ed hit's Ling is that he sees Ling's eyes are normal again? Or is it just the fact he took the punch? I geuss it was the latter at least in the anime as his eyes are still purple here...

- Adding Father saying he's going to ressurect Gluttony as an added scene at the end of the ending, makes sense to me. It would've ruined the ending to have it there and it would've felt even more tacked on if it happened in the beginning of next week's episode.

- Next week should be... interesting? I don't have much to say on it, other than I'm looking forward to how they do the 'Don't Underestimate Humans' line. If they keep it at all.

--------------------

Please check out my comic if you have the time

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th August 2016 - 01:03 AM

Copyright ©2003-2004 PhoenixNetworks, LLC. All rights reserved.
Copyright Notice. Privacy policy. Acceptable Use Policy. Terms of Service.
Page Generation Time: 0.0655 seconds.
Currently Selected Stylesheet: css/default.css